Lets Chat: Legions of Nagash

S133arcanite

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the wordings of the preview and reviews, gravesite summoning is not mix and match like old spell summoning.  You don't put points in a reserve pool and buy qhat you need when you need it, you buy units up front, and deploy them into reserve to bring on via gravesite summoning later.  So you cant just bring on dire wolves or spirit hosts instead if you realize during the game that the grave guard arent needed.

I'm eyeing a grand host army based on the first cohort.  Nagash, 4 archai, 2x40 spearletons, 20 guard (perhaps deploying from gravesites), and two hidden necromancers to round out nagash's spell list comes out to exactly 2500.  Prob not competitive - too slow, too few units, too much weight on nagash's shoulders, etc.  But might be fun to run if the first cohort's rules are any good, and a nice opportunity to highlight the big guy.

Knight of shrouds will get rules allowing its use in any death army out of malign portents, at least in games using the malign portents rules.  And if you're using those rules you'll probably want him.  Otherwise, he's better left to the dedicated soulblight lists anyway, so inability of legions to field him outside of MP isnt so much of an issue.

Fenrisian wolves are much nicer models than dire wolves, though also much pricier.  Dire wolf absence in the online store is likely short term only.

7 minutes ago, Xasz said:

The battalions are surprisingly cheap.

Exciting! Very curious to see what they do now.

7 minutes ago, AverageBoss said:

Just shy of 500 points for the named VLoZD is WAY too much imo.

Vhordrai's charging WDR without Quickblood is .043. With Quickblood it's .071. VLoZD's charging WDR with his own command ability is  .047, without it he's .033.  Breath of Shyish is also TREMENDOUSLY better than Pestilential Breath. 

If you think the VLoZD is priced well but Vhordrai is overcosted I really don't know what to say. Vhordrai has a vastly better melee profile and ranged attack. His command ability is *really* powerful but only if you take another VLoZD with him. Taking him but not making him your general means you get a massive flying beatstick and still get your artefact and command trait somewhere else. You also don't lose the opportunity cost that comes with the VLoZD being your general and needing to use his own command abilities on himself. You can still get access to the excellent command abilities of a regular Vampire Lord or Coven Throne, for example. 

19 minutes ago, Undeadly said:

Don't forget how the radius of grave sites; You have to deploy the whole unit within 9" while also staying away 9" away from an enemy unit; that can tricky with units like Skeletons or Dire Wolves which rely on big numbers to keep up the damage.

A good point for sure. Luckily we have 4 sites to work with!

11 minutes ago, Sception said:

From the wordings of the preview and reviews, gravesite summoning is not mix and match like old spell summoning.  You don't put points in a reserve pool and buy qhat you need when you need it, you buy units up front, and deploy them into reserve to bring on via gravesite summoning later.  So you cant just bring on dire wolves or spirit hosts instead if you realize during the game that the grave guard arent needed.

Good call, although I can't find the actual official wording anywhere. I probably just missed it!

Aside -- does anyone know where the new Coven Throne warscroll is? I can't find it anywhere.

Havent seen official wording on gravesite summoning, just goint by previews and reviews that all talk about setting units aside during deployment to summon later, which implies you purchased those units before rather than during the game.  Final wording could be different, tho.  We'll see soon enough. 

34 minutes ago, swarmofseals said:

A good point for sure. Luckily we have 4 sites to work with!

Good call, although I can't find the actual official wording anywhere. I probably just missed it!

Aside -- does anyone know where the new Coven Throne warscroll is? I can't find it anywhere.

They are all updated in my app it looks like.  Have to delete the old ones and redownload though.

From previews/reviews, gravesite summoning works as such.

1: set a summonable unit in your army aside during deployment

2: at the end of any of your movement phases, any of your heroes may select one of the units you set aside and a gravesite within 9" of the hero.  Set up the chosen unit entirely within 9" of the (center of the) chosen gravesite, and more than 9" away from enemy models.

No die roll, no fuss, just have to get a hero in range of a gravesite that is simultaneously out of range of any enemy units.

There is a supposedly a separate ability that allows your general to pull the same trick with one of your previously destroyed summonable units with the use of a command ability, but since that ability almost certainly takes reserve points, you might as well have just purchased a second unit to start and deployed it via the normal gravesite summoning ability.

Sacrament gets a rhird ability that is the same as the "bring back unit" one, except triggered by an enemy unit dying instead of at the end of your movement phase, but since that will again almost certainly require reserve points, and require a long series of events to alighn in the proper order, it will likewise probably be just worse than just taking another unit to deploy by the normal gravesite method.

That's based on paraphrasing from reviews, tho, so actual text could be different in the particulars.

I'm digesting now.  The sacrament formation offers less protection to arkhan  than I might have hoped, just a save bump.  But it's cheap, and an extra cast from each wizard is great.  Then again, i thought sacrament wizards got an extra extra extra spell from the new lores, but no it's just the one., so rules of one might get in the way a bit.  Still, decent.

Nagash's formation is the most pricey, but it's a doosey.  Maximized deathly invo from nagash to the formation's deathrattle units, and a 3+ look out sir to pass any wounds (including mortals) from nagash to the morghast unit.  The spells are a bit less impressive than I'd hoped (at least in terms of direct damage and buffs, the necro lore has a bunch of good debuffs), so nagash doesnt get quite as big a boost out of them as one might have imagined, but the formation protection is great.

Point costs are a colossal let down. 

Its insanely hard to value blood knights at 260. I can't imagine a world in which they are usable now.

Nagash continues to be way overpriced. His new spells might make him playable to an extent that you could now have an enjoyable game with him, but that point cost is going to keep him far from competitive for sure.

Grave Guard are also way too expensive. They are actually playable now with their incredible regen but you will have to baby sit the hell out of this unit. Most armies can burn them down easy and you'll lose way too many points when that happens. The only way I would play them would be to summon them, then have a Balewind push them forward about 3 1/2 inches to the point where their charge is guaranteed.

Its a double edge sword though, they could have increased things currently at a good point cost. Skeletons and Spirit Hosts are starting to look exceptional. Corpse Cart is a great tool to have now. Black Knights are pretty cheap for what they can now do. 

Overall it looks like they just said - lets just leave the points as-is and see what happens, then we'll fix it in GH2018. If they were releasing some model updates, you can be sure that there would have been some point cuts to boost sales. Its possible they had already considered this in the GH2017, and that's why Nagash got cut ... but Blood Knights went up 20 points ... so why would that have happened if they knew they were about to cut their regen? For this reason it seems like they didn't want to get into playtesting too much and just said - lets wait and see.

11 minutes ago, WoollyMammoth said:

Its insanely hard to value blood knights at 260. I can't imagine a world in which they are usable now.

Even with all the numbers I've shown, it stuns me that you still think this. I can understand you not liking them, but I can't understand how you could think they are unusable. 

I don't understand how you could think that "Black Knights are pretty cheap for what they can now do" and think that Blood Knights are unusable. 

So from all the leaks I'm list building already, how about anyone else?

Currently planning a Nagash The First Cohort list as been looking for an excuse to get him on the battlefield.

Nagash Supreme Lord Of The Undead (800)
- General
2 x Morghast Archai (220)
30 x Skeleton Warriors (240)
- Ancient Spear & Shield
20 x Skeleton Warriors (160)
- Ancient Blade & Shield
10 x Black Knights (240)
Mortis Engine (180)

The First Cohort (160)

Total: 2000

What do people think?  worried it needs at least one more hero, don't know if the Mortis Engine is beneficial.

Will likely expand eventually and switch Nagash for a Mortach.

Blood knights look somewhat iffy to me out of the box, but there are options to stack on them.  The new special character formation, in a legion of blood army, gives three units of blood knights +1 attack, outflank, and rerolls to hit if within 15" of the board edge they outflanked from.  I dont know if that makes them good or not, but i could see it being playable.  Shame they're not battleline for blood, though.

19 minutes ago, Hyperkinako said:

So from all the leaks I'm list building already, how about anyone else?

Currently planning a Nagash The First Cohort list as been looking for an excuse to get him on the battlefield.

Nagash Supreme Lord Of The Undead (800)
- General
2 x Morghast Archai (220)
30 x Skeleton Warriors (240)
- Ancient Spear & Shield
20 x Skeleton Warriors (160)
- Ancient Blade & Shield
10 x Black Knights (240)
Mortis Engine (180)

The First Cohort (160)

Total: 2000

What do people think?  worried it needs at least one more hero, don't know if the Mortis Engine is beneficial.

Will likely expand eventually and switch Nagash for a Mortach.

I think the mortis might be overkill on nagadh's casting (though the healing pulse is admittedly great here), 2 wound knights are awkward with the maximized heals, and the skittles want to be max size.  Try instead:

Nagash, 2 archai, 5 guard, 2x40 spears, mortis

Or

Nagash, 2 archai, 15 guard, 2x40 spears

Or

Nagash, 4 archai, 2x10 guard, 40 spears

Or my (current) preference:

Nagash, necromancer, 2 archai, 5 knights, 2x40 spears

Mortis is good, but i think necro for artefact, extra deathmage spell, and vanhels is better.

Archived