New Aelves

Not convinced that the plastic assassin or the executioners will find their way into this Daughters of Khaine release, even if both are/were Khainite. Neither are as obviously female as the Witch Elves and this looks to be doubling down on the half-naked cultist aesthetic rather than the wider WHFB Khaine-aligned forces. There's the Doomfire Warlocks, who were never Khainite to begin with, but I wouldn't be surprised if their background is changed to something more like 'these are the only male elves Morathi will tolerate, tortured and soul-sapped, then used as shock troops'.

Not sure about the Dark Riders either, to be honest. We've had dual kits re-released before where parts of the box just don't apply to the army. Think of the Crypt Horrors/Vargheists, where the Vargheist wings and heads were re-directed towards Crypt Flayers and that courtier hero.

What do folks think about the odds of getting a repackage of the witch elves/sisters of slaughter? Maybe to 20 models? When they were released they were one of the most ludicrously overpriced kits GW made. Ten of them are already more expensive than twenty of other repackaged models (savage orcs, etc.) but if this is going to be a horde force of half-naked berzerkers... Wasn't the high cost of fyreslayers' basic troops something that supposedly kept their popularity down?

EDIT: you know now that I think about it AoS does have a lot of armies centred around almost-nude troops in the game nowadays. Fyreslayers, Bonesplitters, a good chunk of Bloodbound, some Maggotkin, Kairic acolytes for DoT and now Daughters of Khaine...

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Soulsmith said:

If we go the lore route guessing unit inclusions, Executioners were also traditionally part of Khaine worshipping and all that. I doubt we will see any males in the army at all. Would love to see a Malerion release in teh latter half of the year, as amazing as these minis are I have Nurgle to work on, and was always more into cold one knights and black guard.

This means nothing, they were but now they are not and never were in this new world, so no, they belong to another sub-faction.

I initially thought that dark riders and assassins would inevitably end up in this faction but not so sure now - as others have pointed out there are several dual kits which cross factions including start collecting boxes.

I don't think witch aelves are overpriced - they are expensive compared to some but they are worth every penny imo. I have a feeling this whole faction is going to be very expensive cash wise compared to some choices. 

Now there are more units I don't think you are going to need 90 of them to make a competitive army anyway. I'm sure it will stay a viable build but its unlikely to stay the price of entry into the faction.

I think that its worth remembering that the promo video (which I can't stop watching) doesn't necesarily show ALL the new models there may be some characters or even a unit still to come.

I was hoping we might see the return of Repeater Bolt Throwers with the whole greco/roman aesthetic going on. Some kind of ballista weapon would fit right in. The medusa with bows (assuming they have a similar output to khuronoth hunters/longstrike raptors etc) will probably fill that potential role though. GW don't seem to like making war machines much anymore.

Its intriguing that Malerion is nowhere to be seen. I always assumed that him and Morathi would be in the same faction. I hope his faction is at least 6 months after DoK or i'm going to be drowning in plastic more than I am already

28 minutes ago, smucreo said:

How funny would it be if former High Elves were the ones closer to Slannesh now? After all spending so much time with a god such as him/her could corruot anyone...

If GW manages successfully connect return of Slaanesh with some highborn elves sub-faction release in such a way that they don't produce nonsense like chaos elves but interconnect them elaborately in the fluff, that would be awesome.

19 minutes ago, DantePQ said:

Hastings on Attia blog said that by his estimation DoK are "Cthulu Elves" but he isn't sure. 

That's my first though seeing the DoK reveal. I think people read into the initial conjectured rumors a bit too much and people ran with it a bit too far. I could see the mistake being made with the snakes.

21 minutes ago, DantePQ said:

Hastings on Attia blog said that by his estimation DoK are "Cthulu Elves" but he isn't sure. 

Why are people still paying attention to that guy? His pathetic ranting about AoS showed him up to be a genuinely unpleasant individual, and his rumours haven't been accurate in years.

2 minutes ago, Jamie the Jasper said:

Why are people still paying attention to that guy? His pathetic ranting about AoS showed him up to be a genuinely unpleasant individual, and his rumours haven't been accurate in years.

Exactly. I would not trust him in any case, and yes, people do seem to read into the current info more than it needs to.

Welk this just made my day! Finally some time to check If there’s any AoS News and then I see all these gorgeous new models! These will Probably be my first proper buy since AoS started... Allthough I’m afraid the ladies will be painted as part of my slaanesh elves? they fit right in. 

Not a fan of Morathi’s metal wings, but the teaser for her other form looks very promising. Also love they continue to use the masks from sisters of slaughter for other units. Those are very cool and sinister. 

2 hours ago, sandlemad said:

EDIT: you know now that I think about it AoS does have a lot of armies centred around almost-nude troops in the game nowadays. Fyreslayers, Bonesplitters, a good chunk of Bloodbound, some Maggotkin, Kairic acolytes for DoT and now Daughters of Khaine...

The Beastclaw don’t wear much either. Clearly the setting needs tailors rather than farmers ?

I am not saying that Hastings is right but there is something CThulu about new minis and I doubt they will release any other Shadow Aelves soon as all the rumor engines pointing at CThulu are obviously DoT. Maybe it's time for Tyrion Aelves. I don't know what they are going to do with Malerion also it's interesting if any WH Quest heroes will make it into DoT - folding Shasowblades into them makes much sense so then Tenebrael Shard could be named leader option but I wouldn't be surprised with Mistweaver but we will find out soon (I hope) 

Malerion and shadowkin have been far more teased than Tyrion. This usually means that they are placed before on the GW plan releases. With solid rumours of two aelf factions first half 2018, this is why people think that Malerion and his faction will be released soon as well. Of course, I cannot bet that it will be so soon, but I would bet that it is soonish and before Tyrion and light aelfs.

3 hours ago, sandlemad said:

you know now that I think about it AoS does have a lot of armies centred around almost-nude troops in the game nowadays. Fyreslayers, Bonesplitters, a good chunk of Bloodbound, some Maggotkin, Kairic acolytes for DoT and now Daughters of Khaine...

The new models have more armour and clothing than the old ones - Morathi particularly :D 

I think that in some of the deepest darkest witch elf lore they were supposed to fight completely naked so they could bathe in the fresh blood of their enemies. They weren't fighting you, they were sacrificing you to Khaine.

So clothes were just a waste of time really... That kind of stuff was ok in the 80's 

Naked elf girls are obviously not particularly appropriate models if you are a publicly listed company but I'm glad they didn't go too politically correct with them and destroy the crazy wardancer look completely. Nobody wants witch elves in trouser suits and sensible shoes.

8 hours ago, Killax said:

Medium sized most likely, you'll like the Infantry for Battleline purposes and then supplement with Cauldron, Monster units (now) and Heroes. 

So I don't think 100+ but nearing 100 is certainly an option so far.

Yeah, let's say the Harpies and Nagas are units of 5 and between them average out to ~180 points/unit you could fit 2 units of 30 witches, 2 cauldrons, 3 elite units, a giant 400-ish point Morathi and a lesser hero in a 2000 point list for ~80 models.  I think that more elite armies could be more in the 60 range with horde style armies reaching 110. 

48 minutes ago, Jamie the Jasper said:

His rumours about Kharadron Overlords were accurate, actually. He mentioned ‘dwarves on balloons’ quite a while before we saw them. 

Just now, Still-young said:

His rumours about Kharadron Overlords were accurate, actually. He mentioned ‘dwarves on balloons’ quite a while before we saw them. 

That is not true. He did mention that steampunk dwarves were next, but the balloon thing came from someone else and by the time Hastings addressed the dwarves, everybody was expecting them to be released (first ever rumour engine pic). I even asked Hastings to confirm the balloons thing and he said he had no idea.  

I do believe he still has some sources, but very little contact with them and is thus usually dry of rumours (and then he will defend himself by claiming he lost interest, until now, and will go check, but usually comes back with nothing). 

Best rumour source in the last years has been Sad Panda, who sadly disappeared. So now my trust is in people like Moonstone, who seem to have short term sources.

55 minutes ago, Jamie the Jasper said:

I mean... no? Hastings has never come across as anything less than a pretty alright chap, one of the nicer guys in the cesspit that was Warseer, and someone who is vocally onboard with AoS now. If you want to call everyone who complained about AoS upon release and now has a force (or forces) a 'genuinely unpleasant individual', that's surely more than half the board you're insulting, myself included. He's also perfectly open about not being as in touch with the Nottingham crowd as he used to be.

You can see the AoS fan community's chain of inference from 'elves with a Lovecraftian theme' to 'Deep elves/Cthulhu elves', buoyed by WHC rumour engine hints (Horticulous's snail mount and Necromunda tentacle scenery but also the new DoK gorgon champion's winged snake/leech), tentacles appearing in Kharadron art, and the fairly reasonable estimation that the scourge privateers/black ark admiral/kharabdys could be repurposed into a new dark nautical aelven faction with other new models.

It was a feedback loop. I'm not quite willing to say that an Ulgurite aelven faction isn't coming down the line but the case is looking a lot shakier. I think the WHC rumour engine folks might have leaned into this a bit and deliberately chosen examples like the as-yet-unsolved cephalopod thing from last week or the week before.

Also... does it really make sense to launch two new Aelven factions in the same year and have them both develop different aspects WHFB dark elf imagery? Surely you'd want to spread it out a little and develop one of them from former high elf stuff, give some breathing room between potentially similar launches?

35 minutes ago, DantePQ said:

I am not saying that Hastings is right but there is something CThulu about new minis and I doubt they will release any other Shadow Aelves soon as all the rumor engines pointing at CThulu are obviously DoT. Maybe it's time for Tyrion Aelves. I don't know what they are going to do with Malerion also it's interesting if any WH Quest heroes will make it into DoT - folding Shasowblades into them makes much sense so then Tenebrael Shard could be named leader option but I wouldn't be surprised with Mistweaver but we will find out soon (I hope) 

What does 'Cthulhu Aelves' even mean though? It's a term people keep throwing around, but it could be used to describe a wide spectrum of different design directions. Is this an aquatic themed army? Are there are lots of tentacles involved? Are we talking non-euclidean geometry? Sea dragons? Winged things? Gross slimy stuff? Cult-like stuff? A combination of any or all of these things? I can think of any number of ways to apply one or more of those design elements to any number of AoS races or factions. So it's pointless speculating whether 'Cthulhu Aelves' is a reference to the Daughters of Khaine or something else, because it's a completely vague and useless label. It may even be entirely an invention of the community - I've certainly seen nothing to suggest that this 'Cthulhu Aelves' idea was seeded by Games Workshop.

Archived