Malign Portents - A Tale of ??? Warlords

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a bit of progress. My paint scheme didn't translate as well as I hoped to the brutes so it's been a bit of back and forth and adjusting. Brutes are now a bit more than half way done, then it's the Weird Nob and the last 5 'Ardboyz.

Sidenote: I really need to get a paint rack

IMG_9629.jpg

Getting there. Got the Grotgor cavalry painted and 6 of the 20 Grots for my 3rd month done. The big guy's body is almost done, so just need to paint the head, saddle and rider. Also did a bit of work to change the thundertusk head to a more mammoth-esque appearance.

bRy16gG.jpg

Ss88CJ7.jpg

TTo5Sog.jpg

I've now finished my Castellant and with him my alternative Start Collecting Box and now feel a little embarrassed about having jumped the start (that was pure excitement to be fair) and low-balling my model count (pessimism on my part). I have built some Liberators to add to the month, but might instead / as well build the rest of a 1,000 point army and see whether I can't start learning some rules properly by getting a few games in. Want to think about the lore too, which I have only had brief brushes with, so whatever happens I'll be beavering away and am excited to see what others are coming up with (loving the red Orruks and brown Grots!).

Simple paint scheme has helped get these guys done, although the choice of cream doesn't help for photographing well with my bad lighting... Also hadn't appreciated how cool the Castellant model was.

5a6a247882167_Castellant25_01_181.jpg.93c23ed6059683c65fff6c279c59c279.jpg

5a6a247b8e3e2_Castellant25_01_182.jpg.52b6d41b300b2328a885a9168cc5d84c.jpg

5a6a24754d7aa_SCBoxComplete25_01_181.jpg.f22d7279f757db019b71accec18ea663.jpg

Loving the vanguard (mine are still a no work in progress) and the grotgors are awesome.

So I have decided to try and use the malignant portents event to finally finish some start collecting forces that have been halfway there for ages. Here is my first effort. Hope to get several more completed by the end of March and may even get one done before the 10th.

C98B0009-13A2-4CD5-89CF-BDA516FFB7F8.jpeg

E61E888C-07A2-43AD-918B-A3BB8BF08B43.jpeg

8156CA9D-1774-4038-AA54-3E9A471D2E0A.jpeg

On 25/01/2018 at 5:21 PM, Charles said:

Fingers crossed for a dry Saturday morning, I really need to get spraying if I have any chance to complete my goals here!

Managed to get all of my models undercoated.

Made the mistake of spraying Skarrbrand Mephiston Red (then realising his skin is based Khorne Red d’oh).

Will post WiP pictures when back from work trip on Wednesday.

3948B99A-05D6-43A8-9478-EB128F9C8C93.jpeg

@Tzaangore Managment, nice bone colour on the Stormcasts, and the crisp turquoise makes a nice contrast. The birds and hounds also look fitting.

@Melcavuk, The Treelord continues to look amazing. Also Kudos on getting your Kurnoth recognised like that.

@Geckilian, the Grotgors look interesting, how much conversion work went into the heads? The Mammoth is also coming along nicely.  

@Lord Panther, keep up the good work.

@Elmir, The Blood Knights conversions are great.

As for my own progress, well there has been next to nothing due to a bout of illness. Will try to get a bit done this weekend.

Brutes are done and based.  The next 5 'ardboyz are about half way done. Still trying to figure out the colour scheme for my shaman.  Good progress for this weekend. We've got another bank holiday this week so I should be good to finish by next saturday.

IMG_9653.JPG.ef1834f03dacaae063612ef13781a726.JPG

And here's the view from behind.

IMG_9654.JPG.cf3e653b450e5ca3cae5125d3d84c15e.JPG

Oh, I forgot to post here. I finished them.

FBK04BP.jpg

Also painted up another 6 grots for month 3, so I'm down to a harbinger and 8 grots to paint in the next 2 months and a bit to be on track. I'm probably good really.

I've been spending other hobby time converting and painting some witch aelves and aelves in general since I'll be picking up some Daughters of Khaine. By the time month 3 ends for Malign Portents I'll likely have an army of those done too.

Argh! If I had known about this thread I would have joined, but I seldom venture outside of the Age of Sigmar discussion forum. Permission to add my custom Start Collecting Clan Skryre to the pot?

- 1 Warlock Engineer

- 3 Stormfiends

- 20 Clanrats

- 1 Doomwheel

It's starting to get a bit late in the day, but I've got the Stormfiends* and almost 15 of the Clanrats done, along with most of the work on the Engineer. I am doubting my chances of finishing by the 10th.

WP_20180122_01_19_31_Rich_LI.jpg

WP_20180122_01_21_38_Rich_LI.jpg

WP_20180122_01_20_59_Rich_LI.jpg

WP_20180122_01_20_32_Rich_LI.jpg

WP_20180204_15_29_24_Rich_LI.jpg

WP_20180201_01_04_35_Rich_LI.jpg

I love this thread, always great to see people’s armies. There is some amazing work on this thread, both painting and converting. Nice job everyone! I can’t seem to find time to paint more than one or two models in a week so I’m super impressed by how quickly this thread is filled.

Five days to go including today and the 10th and some incredible armies coming together. Really looking forward to seeing the results of the end of the first challenge, especially now there are 28 in the running with @Kirjava13 and @Lysandestolpe added to the list. Really nice variety in the spread of the armies too.

Don't stress if you're behind, I think next month's challenge is still to paint a Harbinger, so a bit of breathing space to be had there and the aim is ultimately to have an army for the table once the Malign Portents kicks off proper.

Props to @Elmir and @Geckilian for coming in under the wire and with incredible paint jobs. @Lord Panther, the Brutes have come out really well after having to adjust from the 'Ard Boyz and I reckon red is definitely their colour!

Good luck all.

I've pretty much come to terms with the fact my DoK will not be ready for the 10th. A lack of motivation and time has really hurt it. But I'm gonna keep at it and try and get them finished anyway!! Gotta have some ready by the time the new BT drops ;)

I'll try and get some models finished this week (tonight hopefully) so I can share some progress at least. Should get them done soon enough at least. Though I'm not to sure I really want the order harbinger... bleh stormcast. Though if I headswap the model to a female one and use my DoK colours it might not look -too- out of place ;)

Great progress everyone. 

I managed to grab a Start Collecting Ironjawz  secondhand (for less than half original price).  About a third of it has been assembled and painted (and magnetised). I'll leave the 'ardboyz for now but the gruntas and the warchanter are sitting in some simple green.

Archived