Malign Portents

Will Myers

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Given the similarity in name I wonder if this is actually Keldrek's origin story. After all they've never said that the stories were in chronological order (some clearly are, others its harder to tell.) It seems to fit with what we know of his story so far, although a lot of that would be true for any Knight of Shrouds...

46 minutes ago, EccentricCircle said:

Given the similarity in name I wonder if this is actually Keldrek's origin story. After all they've never said that the stories were in chronological order (some clearly are, others its harder to tell.) It seems to fit with what we know of his story so far, although a lot of that would be true for any Knight of Shrouds...

No, Keldrek's origin story is in Malign Portents campaign book (page 33) - but it bears some similarity indeed. 

8 minutes ago, Rogue Explorator said:

New Story: https://malignportents.com/story/all-turns-to-ash/

Hide contents

Fyreslayers this time. Sort of a short and inconclusive one, sadly.

I think this would have been a great opprtunity to tell us a bit more about Fyreslayer day to day life, sadly that gets glossed over.

There was some good stuff here - fyreslayer citadel in Shyish is cool!

43 minutes ago, pseudonyme said:

Is it me or the art work are clearly samouraï inspired ?

Yes, I agree. Looks like it was inspired by traditional Japanese art. 

Fyreslayers.png.809117ddf61c59f624f4ed4316a4a8be.png

The first one looks like it was inspired by the traditional Hannya mask without the horns but the pronounced eyebrows and the tusks. The empty eyes could also imply that this is supposed to be a mask. 

The second piece looks like a mixture of a Samurai helmet with the emblem above the eyes, the nose is similar as well. While the two snakes on the sides are more traditional nordic looking with the runes and all. And at last the beard is stylized as lightning bolts we have seen so many times before on anything related to Azyr/Sigmar. 

I hope we get a conclusion to this one. While I'm pretty sure the answer is "Nagash" or "Necroquake" I really want to know what could quench the fires of a Fyreslayer great forge (and the consequences of Death magic reigniting it...Undead Fyreslayers anyone?).

I have to agree though, it's a bit of a missed opportunity to not feature any of the rest of the Hold itself. The ghosts fought some unidentified inhabitants and then left.

3 hours ago, pseudonyme said:

Is it me or the art work are clearly samouraï inspired ?

Yeah, the artist behind those is Kevin Chin : https://www.artstation.com/kingmong

The artworks are from the Fyrelslayers Battletome page 23 ; the first is precisely the Lodge emblem of the Ulrung of Shyish, and the second is of a young Lodge founded after the reopening of the Gates of Azyr, in the Celestial Realm, the Tangrim lodge.

@VoodooChileIRL I think we can guess the conclusion of this one : they all die :P 

The furnace dying is surely one of the many occurrences of the Malign Portents, i.e. as you say a byproduct of Nagash's great work ending in the "Necroquake" event. I guess the "amethyst glow" is sign of the Nighthaunt return to attack the Magamhold from the inside (as the story ends with the Fyreslayers saying : "The foe is already here"). 

18 minutes ago, HorticulusTGA said:

Yeah, the artist behind those is Kevin Chin : https://www.artstation.com/kingmong

The artworks are from the Fyrelslayers Battletome page 23 ; the first is precisely the Lodge emblem of the Ulrung of Shyish, and the second is of a young Lodge founded after the reopening of the Gates of Azyr, in the Celestial Realm, the Tangrim lodge.

@VoodooChileIRL I think we can guess the conclusion of this one : they all die :P 

The furnace dying is surely one of the many occurrences of the Malign Portents, i.e. as you say a byproduct of Nagash's great work ending in the "Necroquake" event. I guess the "amethyst glow" is sign of the Nighthaunt return to attack the Magamhold from the inside (as the story ends with the Fyreslayers saying : "The foe is already here"). 

Oh I agree they're all going to die. I suppose I put 2+2 together and got zombie Fyreslayers.

I just like the idea that the Great Forge and that flame is linked to all the Runes and is the source of their power. Then what might happen if that flame is replaced with Death magic and what happens if that flows into Ur-Gold runes. 

4 hours ago, ZaelART said:

Has there been any actual mention of the "necroquake" event in any stories or books so far? Or is this something that is going to be unveiled with AoS 2.0?

It's in the Idoneth Deepkin battletome, at least, as it's the thing that's sort of spurred them into action/out of isolation. 

Basically Nagash cast a big evil spell (presumably powered by all that magic sand he's been gathering) which is sending death energy out in waves across the whole Mortal Realms. 

The upshot is just that loads of undead are rising up all over the place to attack Nagash's enemies. Which honestly I think is a bit unimaginative considering how metal the name 'Necroquake' is but maybe it'll get more dramatic in the future. 

I believe it's mentioned in some of the Malign Portents stories that introduced the Deepkin too - there's one where an undead dragon is created by it underwater, I think. And the latest story about the Fyreslayers seems to imply the Necroquake is what's put out their forge and let all the ghosts into their fortress.

3 hours ago, Kaleb Daark said:

does the teasers on the community site talk about the second edition being set in the aftermath of the necroquake, expanding it in full detail and the ramifications thereof?

Yes they explicitly state it's the aftermath. Endless magic is an after effect of the necroquake.

https://malignportents.com/story/a-dying-goddess/ ? Saaaad story ? 

BTW... I literally JUST figured out that the Doomed March's chapter in the Malign Portents campaign books (pp. 30-32) is reflected on the Website map here (the red line with the different battles).

Also, the Changeling's appearance at the end of the chapter is now I guess explained by this short story : https://malignportents.com/story/day-of-the-summoner/

I hope that in the new Core Book we'll get a full view of the Innerlands of Shyish - Nagashizzar is obviously down south the Copper Pinnacle.

48 minutes ago, Charles said:

Are we looking at the first hints of a Shadespire based army?

More likely teasing the next 'season' of Shadespire, right? Seeing as we've likely already seen the next two warbands

Could also be to do with Slaanesh, as I believe a recent map showed that Shadespire was weirdly close to where Slaanesh is imprisoned. If he/she breaks out, what does that mean for the city? 

9 minutes ago, robinlvalentine said:

More likely teasing the next 'season' of Shadespire, right? Seeing as we've likely already seen the next two warbands

Could also be to do with Slaanesh, as I believe a recent map showed that Shadespire was weirdly close to where Slaanesh is imprisoned. If he/she breaks out, what does that mean for the city? 

that's exactly my thoughts, and how I read the story.  My gut feeling is that the abductor of the scryer has something to do with the dark prince rather than nagash,

Archived