Malign Portents

Will Myers

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More about Idoneth in the newest story:

https://malignportents.com/story/that-which-is-lost/

Spoiler

Looks like the Idoneth work alongside the other forces of Order under rather clandestine circumstances, which is unsurprising considering how dirty a deal an alliance with them is. It really shows the shady side of Sigmar, considering that the Idoneth still predate on the Free People with his knowledge and tolerance.

The juicy bit for me is how this story emphazises just how bad the reforgings affect even the highest ranks of Stormcast. One can easily imagine how each and every Stormcast is ultimately heading towards a fate worse then Death.

The Stormhost have been out fighting and dying for a few centuries now and as this and a few other MP stories show, it has left many in a rather questionable mental state resembling dementia. Particularly so when you think about how many tough decissions they are required to make reqularly.

I can not imagine that the worst affected can be kept within regular ranks indefinitely and still believe we will eventually see a sort of "Stormcast Death Company", seperate formations, maybe even an entire new chamber, made up of those Stormcast reforged more times than they could take.

For some reason, what's really grinding my gears is that I feel like both the singular and plural of the abbreviated form of "Stormcast Eternals" should be "Stormcast". Seeing it written as, "Stormcasts" feels as wrong as seeing people write, "Skavens".

What I found interesting about the newest story was the reference to the Aquilor's memory, "Some other sorcery has clouded his memory, or else damaged it". Now clearly this is a reference to the reforging process and the title of the story combined with an earlier reference to the Lord Aquilors reforging and his decision to strike at the undead when deep down he knows he should not have all revolve around the reforging process. Up till now we,ve always just assumed that loss of self is the price paid for reforging time and again but the mention of "other sorcery" by the Idoneth makes me wonder if its not something more nefarious. Could the anvil of apotheosis have been made with an inherent flaw? Could this be some dark magic from Malerion? We know from a previous story that he can spy on the storm cast and that the gladitorium was a gift from him but Sigmar knows not its true purpose.

Wild conspiracy theory time. The gladitorium is in fact Slaaneesh's prison. When Tyrion blinded the chaos gods he also blinded Sigmar, the aelf gods used the oppertunity to hide slaanesh in azerheim. What better place to hide slaanesh from its followers than in sigmars home city? The aelf gods dont really like sigmar so if slaanesh breaks free would they really care. If it did break free the aelfs would be garunteed sigmars help in subduing it again, granted there would be a reckoning afterwards.... and what if every time the stormcast return home slaanesh has a little nibble on their souls which causes them to loose a bit of themselves (I'm not sure of the timeline but if stormcast were loosing themselves before the gladitorium was gifted to sigmar then this doesnt hold water but I'm not that familiar with the timing of things.)

1 hour ago, Skinnyboy said:

What I found interesting about the newest story was the reference to the Aquilor's memory, "Some other sorcery has clouded his memory, or else damaged it". Now clearly this is a reference to the reforging process and the title of the story combined with an earlier reference to the Lord Aquilors reforging and his decision to strike at the undead when deep down he knows he should not have all revolve around the reforging process. Up till now we,ve always just assumed that loss of self is the price paid for reforging time and again but the mention of "other sorcery" by the Idoneth makes me wonder if its not something more nefarious. Could the anvil of apotheosis have been made with an inherent flaw? Could this be some dark magic from Malerion? We know from a previous story that he can spy on the storm cast and that the gladitorium was a gift from him but Sigmar knows not its true purpose.

Wild conspiracy theory time. The gladitorium is in fact Slaaneesh's prison. When Tyrion blinded the chaos gods he also blinded Sigmar, the aelf gods used the oppertunity to hide slaanesh in azerheim. What better place to hide slaanesh from its followers than in sigmars home city? The aelf gods dont really like sigmar so if slaanesh breaks free would they really care. If it did break free the aelfs would be garunteed sigmars help in subduing it again, granted there would be a reckoning afterwards.... and what if every time the stormcast return home slaanesh has a little nibble on their souls which causes them to loose a bit of themselves (I'm not sure of the timeline but if stormcast were loosing themselves before the gladitorium was gifted to sigmar then this doesnt hold water but I'm not that familiar with the timing of things.)

I absolutely LOVE this theory, would be a great plot twist! But talking to a friend about it he sent me an excerpt from the DoK battletome that mentions a place/dimension called Hidden Gloaming. I remember someone mentioning a place like this between Ulgu and Hysh. According to this friend the Hidden Gloaming is approaching Ulgu. I've attached the text.

Hidden Gloaming.jpg

@Skinnyboy 

Interesting but very unlikely...

Because the Gladiatorium is discussed by Malerion and Morathi while being in Slaanesh's prison (which indeed is in the Hidden Gloaming, a place dimensionaly between Hysh and Ulgu), here : https://malignportents.com/story/a-rescued-soul/ 

(As the Shadespire city limbo is physically floating in the Aetheric Void between the Ulgu and Hysh Realmspheres.).

Shadespire_01.jpg

It is a neat theory, but older materials stated outright that the reforgings issues stem from Nagash taking away a bit from each Stormcasts soul whenever they die.

Essentially, it is not even a flaw of the reforging itself, but that no Stormcast ever goes into a reforging with as "complete" a Soul as on the last one. The only thing not fully explained by this is why some Stormcast also develope anormal (even advantegous) supernatural abilities and qualities on subsequent reforging (though I suspect this is from Sigmar "filling the void" with more of his own power).

Now, older materials have been overruled by newer lore before in AoS, but I do not remember any of these cases being so fundamental.

19 minutes ago, Sete said:

I kinda dislike the fact that they have a snowflake transformation. Please they already are immortal warriors that ride lightning they don't need an extra gimmick. My opinion ofc.

I think we are heading to a kind of "second act" as it is mentioned more and more. Probably this will be developed during the Soul Wars. Not sure if it will be resolved or it will turn into something worse thou.

48 minutes ago, Sete said:

I kinda dislike the fact that they have a snowflake transformation. Please they already are immortal warriors that ride lightning they don't need an extra gimmick. My opinion ofc.

Well, the most notable examples (Gardus and Vandus) are both most likely headed towards being appointed Lord Commander (remember, these are vacant positions) of their respective Stormhost. I think that has a lot to do with it. This is one of the reasons I believe it is an effect Sigmar compensating for the loss of original Soul. He has much more cause to invest so heavily in keeping his most important commanders functional as compared to a Liberator (or, as seen now, even an average Lord Aquilor).

On 4/4/2018 at 3:37 AM, RuneBrush said:

The impression I got was [...] in the same way as Chaos Souls went to the respective Chaos Gods

I’m not sure that this is right ... there are specific references in the Malign Portents ebooks about the Bloodreavers being turned into undead. And there were numerous dead Bloodreavers and Khorne followers waiting at one of the Realm gate entrances in either book 9 or 10 of the Realmgate Wars series ... 

Unless you’re seen fit to be granted Daemonhood (in which case the soul is on a special track) as daemons are part of the Chaos gods will made manifest ... is there a reference that you’ve found that points to the Chaos souls go to the chaos gods? (I’m of the belief that  ‘They don’t care about you unless you’re part of making the cogs in their great game turn ...’)

5 hours ago, TheOtherJosh said:

I’m not sure that this is right ... there are specific references in the Malign Portents ebooks about the Bloodreavers being turned into undead. And there were numerous dead Bloodreavers and Khorne followers waiting at one of the Realm gate entrances in either book 9 or 10 of the Realmgate Wars series ... 

Unless you’re seen fit to be granted Daemonhood (in which case the soul is on a special track) as daemons are part of the Chaos gods will made manifest ... is there a reference that you’ve found that points to the Chaos souls go to the chaos gods? (I’m of the belief that  ‘They don’t care about you unless you’re part of making the cogs in their great game turn ...’)

Off the top of my head I can't recall where I picked it up from, but I'm positive I read that followers of Chaos weren't suitable for consumption/use by Nagash - that's not to say that their corpses can't be reanimated though :D

17 hours ago, Rogue Explorator said:

It is a neat theory, but older materials stated outright that the reforgings issues stem from Nagash taking away a bit from each Stormcasts soul whenever they die.

Essentially, it is not even a flaw of the reforging itself, but that no Stormcast ever goes into a reforging with as "complete" a Soul as on the last one. The only thing not fully explained by this is why some Stormcast also develope anormal (even advantegous) supernatural abilities and qualities on subsequent reforging (though I suspect this is from Sigmar "filling the void" with more of his own power).

Now, older materials have been overruled by newer lore before in AoS, but I do not remember any of these cases being so fundamental.

I don't recall any materials saying Nagash is stealing parts of their soul.   Reference?

6 minutes ago, chord said:

I don't recall any materials saying Nagash is stealing parts of their soul.   Reference?

I think it was most explicitly in the first Stormcast Battletome, but it might have been elsewhere, but I do not have any of the earlier AoS books with me sadly. Maybe @shinros can help? He tends to know his lore references.

57 minutes ago, Rogue Explorator said:

I think it was most explicitly in the first Stormcast Battletome, but it might have been elsewhere, but I do not have any of the earlier AoS books with me sadly. Maybe @shinros can help? He tends to know his lore references.

Yeah I don't think it was in there.. I don't think they gave a specific reason (probably so they can address it down the road)

Newest story-tale, Great Gnaw, tells of Skaven and Dead-things:

https://malignportents.com/story/the-great-gnaw/

Spoiler

Our first more detailed look at the entire Obliette debakel. Also, I suspect, our first look what Thanquol has been up to (might also be a generic Verminlord or Gray Seer, but I find the internal monologue to be very Thanquol).

I like the twist at the end.  Maybe I'm oblivious but I figured they were hunting Ironjawz to steal their souls, you know, as you do.  I did not anticipate the actual reason but I like it!  

Also I was apparently not the only one who saw 'Laebrea' and thought La Brea Tar Pits.  I think that might just be a reference from GW; or maybe an homage.  Regardless its clear that the Idoneth Deepkin are actually a conclave of hobos and drifters riding stray dogs who live behind the public museum at the La Brea Tar Pits in downtown Los Angeles.

But seriously go visit La Brea Tar Pits; they're awesome!  You can hug a life-size statue of a giant ground sloth!  "Pics or it Didn't Happen Time!"

5ad9bd4034bdc_TheHug.jpg.4d5a411fb03855d5b5f40829d9d11e9e.jpg

On 20/04/2018 at 11:13 AM, Kamose said:

I like the twist at the end.  Maybe I'm oblivious but I figured they were hunting Ironjawz to steal their souls, you know, as you do.  I did not anticipate the actual reason but I like it!  

Also I was apparently not the only one who saw 'Laebrea' and thought La Brea Tar Pits.  I think that might just be a reference from GW; or maybe an homage.  Regardless its clear that the Idoneth Deepkin are actually a conclave of hobos and drifters riding stray dogs who live behind the public museum at the La Brea Tar Pits in downtown Los Angeles.

But seriously go visit La Brea Tar Pits; they're awesome!  You can hug a life-size statue of a giant ground sloth!  "Pics or it Didn't Happen Time!"

5ad9bd4034bdc_TheHug.jpg.4d5a411fb03855d5b5f40829d9d11e9e.jpg

I'm sure they took some souls while they were at it - whose going to miss a few from several thousand!  I'm keen to find out what form of attack the distraction is required for.  Perhaps they're hoping to rob Nagash's soul bank in one big heist.

Archived