AoS Wish For 2018

Mr. White

10 minutes ago, The Golem said:

I hope the Scourge Privateers will be extended and become a fully developped faction like GW did with the Sylvaneths. I think they fit best in AoS than the others factions made/recycled from the ex-dark elves.

It fits well in the new world, exploring piratey elfs with dubious morals. Plenty of room for fancy boat and monster models. 

I guess GW have assessed each mini faction in terms of their fit in the new world, the potential for expansion, going beyond just race and instead culture and theme that could be a cool new thing. 

I would suggest that 2 of the grot factions fit this profile too - monster-handlers of the Moonclan and Spidefang. Also the chaos dwarfs could have some awesome new magical & technological shenanigans going on, surely, it fits great in the new world. Oh and the Skryre Clan!

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Praecautus said:

In addition to some of the great ideas above, I think for 2018 seeing the current interest in AoS continue to grow at my local store in Bury would be great.

Dude, I'm from Bury and I'm there often. I'll be up for game there some time. 

I want some clarity with regards to future direction of some of the smaller factions.

e.g. Why are Warherds and Brayherds separate? Are there plans for one or the other that neccitated the split, or was it kinda arbitrary? Ditto the various elf factions, etc.

Finally, with GW's vast resources, I want to see both the old and new explored, without yielding to the most vocal "ultra progressives" and "ultra conservatives" who feel that their own preference for future design direction should be the only option.

There is room for both the traditional and the fantastical in this new world.

Anyone else think that Darkoath could become a totally new faction? A sort of morally grey, barbarian race with big monsters, but leaving the armoured chaos warriors to Slaves to Darkness?

As to wishes, i want to see even more Shadespire bands, Nighthaunters battletome (instead of Nighthaunt!) including the Knight of Shrouds, and in my dreams to flesh out one of the destruction sub races, e.g. troggoth or gargants, into a proper army as destruction need more variety

I would love to see:

• Aelves: Hopefully a light and dark faction.
  • A fleshed out Darkoath faction.
  • Plastic Vampires! Preferable heavly armoured.
  • Regular humans ( a mix of Empire and Bretonnia)
  • New basic Chaos Warriors. Heavly armoured in dynamic poses. Like the Bloodwarriors, but even more armoured.

And now maybe a less popular hope:

• I wouldn't mind a third Slaughterpriest miniature.
    • In short, more Stormcast and Khorne Bloodbound *hides* :D

Anyway I am really excited for what the early months of 2018 will bring!

32 minutes ago, Elmir said:

More death and more destruction models so those 2 Grand alliances start feeling a bit more like something integral to the AoS universe, rather than a sideshow. 

I for one welcome our OP Order and Chaos overlords, as by the time my 2k Destruction army is painted the Destruction renaissance will begin in earnest. (probably around xmas 2018...)

I would like to see the the following (in descending order of likelihood, IMO)

1. A Grand Alliance Death Battletome that introduces a new subfaction (perhaps a more substantial Deathlords or Deathrattle) along with updates and warscroll battalions for the entire Grand Alliance (somewhat like the Khorne and Tzeentch battletomes).  A spell lore or two that can go with any Death faction or subfaction would go a long way.

2. Some kind of Aelf release a large battletome that reinvigorates all three subfactions would be ideal but honestly I'd settle for anything. It would be nice if it synergized with the old models at least. 

3. Some sort of Destruction release. Grot Sky Pirates would be perfect. Again, ideally this would place nicely with other Destruction stuff rather than being totally self contained.

4. Following these three releases, a marked shift towards a story and setting based release schedule instead of a faction based one. In this scenario releases would focus on a particular location, plotline or event and include new model/rules content releases for multiple different factions at the same time. IMO the worst thing about being a fan of GW games is the feast or famine release schedule. You get one giant hit of new stuff all at once with a ton of new rules and kits and then often go for 2+ years or more (or much worse if you play a neglected faction) without anything. This sort of shift in release strategy would mean that players would get new goodies much more often (maybe one to three times a year) but in smaller quantities (one or two new kits at a time at most). I think that this approach would be better for players and FAR better for GW because it would increase player retention and also make it easier for more people to buy into new content. It's hard to justify picking up a whole new army all at once even if it is only once every couple of years. A couple of new kits a few times a year is much easier. In fact, I bet many players could EASILY be convinced to drop $100 four times a year when it would be difficult to convince them to drop $300 once a year. 

I didn't play or collect the old Warhammer before. When Aos was released I was drawn to it immediately and got hooked in an instant.  But by then, the old scenery sets were out of production and people ask a small fortune for them second hand. So I really hope they re-release some of them and make some brand new sets as well. 

I also want to see Shadespire expanded. It's a great game and the miniatures for it are awesome.

Lastly, I hope that the Darkoath are a complete army, not just some characters and a squad or two, and that they are part of the Destruction grand alliance. We have more than enough Chaos already.

With the caveat that i dont know the upcoming release schedule or fluff direction, i dont know why Skaven and Beastmen - as well as smaller archetypes, such as Thunderscorn - didn't end up as Destruction after this world reset.

It seems like this would have equalized Chaos and Destruction far better in terms of options, and the above listed archtypes, especially Brayherd, are all pretty much the personification of wanton, wild destruction.

I mean, why is an Ogre Destruction, but an Ogre with a dragon's body Chaos?

Chaos should begin and end with the four Chaos gods IMHO, with perhaps a few elite undivided options that arch over all four.

12 hours ago, Tailessine said:

Anyone else think that Darkoath could become a totally new faction? A sort of morally grey, barbarian race with big monsters, but leaving the armoured chaos warriors to Slaves to Darkness?

Yup :) That's currently my thinking on it too - basically a Chaos undivided type force.  Could be they start off as a smallish force that can be allied and grow from there.

8 hours ago, Kyriakin said:

I mean, why is an Ogre Destruction, but an Ogre with a dragon's body Chaos?

Chaos corrupts.

1 hour ago, Sheriff said:

Aren't battletomes for factions, not races? Has there ever been a race compilation of many factions in a single race battletome? 

Blades of Khorne and Disciples of Tzeentch 

42 minutes ago, Menkeroth said:

Blades of Khorne and Disciples of Tzeentch 

So those used to be multiple factions and are now one? (i.e. share common keywords and allegiance etc.) 

If so does that mean there is hope for Skaven to be united in a single allegiance, or grots in a single allegiance? 

3 minutes ago, Sheriff said:

So those used to be multiple factions and are now one? (i.e. share common keywords and allegiance etc.) 

If so does that mean there is hope for Skaven to be united in a single allegiance, or grots in a single allegiance? 

Yeah those used to be multiple factions, even Stomcast where once two factions that got merged.  Both Korn and Stormcast have had a new books that changed a previous books combining two factions into one.

For Skaven they do have lots of great units but there are big gaps when they are all separated and MasterClan makes no sense as they have no battleline and you can't have an Ally be your general.  If you want  use a mix of all they cool skaven stuff (I like variety for painting and on the table top) you are mixed Chaos witch means lots of clan rats, this is fine for now but it would be cooler if they got more of the Seraphon treatment.

GW could do something like: if your general is keyword Masterclan all battleline-if units for there respective clans count as battleline and you gain some new rules (the one that both Pestins and Skrye share in GHB2017 seems like a good place to start).  Basically pull all the clans together under a powerful or well connected leader. That would be thematic it would not kill the other clans and it would mean that any new Skaven stuff they do release will have a wider group who will be able to use it.

There are other sub factions who could use the same treatment too.  To be honest I even kharadron overlords and fireslayers could used this sort of "Master-Clan" equivalent that could unite the Dwarden under one banner.

well that was my two cents.

Cheers.

4 hours ago, Sheriff said:

Yes. BoK, for one, before that were divided into the Khorne Bloodbound and Daemons of Khorne. 

4 hours ago, Sheriff said:

Who knows. Not for all it's good, but it's possible certainly.

Archived