AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

I love the jailor and chainghasts minions. This NH release feels like the Nurgle one for 40k last year. The designers probably drugs or coerced the finance department and went all over the place so we got an unreasonable number of beautiful and random boxes...

So Im predicting the Craven King will be a support aura character given his non-combat oriented pose, the Mortarch will be an offensive caster with a command aura, and the third will be our melee beast.

Chainghasts most likely low ap high attack dervishes, Bladegeists high ap low attack elites, and I have no clue whatsoever about the Black Coach!

So, heres a 1000 point list i was thinking of playing (for now) using pretty much the contents from the new box.

Spoiler

Knight of Shrouds - 120

Guardian of Souls - 140

Spirit Torment - 120

Chainrasps - 20 - 160

Chainrasps - 20 - 160

Stalkers - 12 w/ Drum - 180

Myrmourn Banshees - 4 - 80

total: 960

I was thinking of changing the Spirit Torment to a second caster, but I should have enough unbinding at this points level to get by. 40 free points should also give a triumph...

thoughts? Anything is appreciated!

So given that the biggest (if not the only) difference between Cairn Wraiths and Grimghast Reapers are the blindfolds, I wouldn't be surprised if a more cost effective method of getting a collection of Cairn Wraiths would be to replace the blindfold heads with normal skulls.

I'm wondering if CWraiths are worth taking anymore given the other low-end heroes' buffs and synergies.  (Yes the new grimghast models put the cairn wraith to shame, which completes the cycle as the CWraith model was amazing when it first came out)

Absolutely getting that chainghast set. Will compliment the SoulWars STorment perfectl

Edited by Neck-Romantic

Do the new NH Endless Spells require Malign Sorcery?    If not, i may give MS a miss.  

For me, army specific, thematic models are much more appealing.  Even if they turn out to be not so competitive.  Realm specific artifacts and spells add extra options, but like Free City Allegiences they may pass me by.

“The Shyish Reaper deals mortal wounds to enemies based on their Save characteristic”

“The Vault of Souls flies around dealing mortal wounds to opponents – then explodes.”

“The Mortalis Terminexus can both heal and harm”

These are some beautiful models and offer a good variety of uses in game.  Personally, i cant wait to see Vault of Souls on the field.

16FAF81C-6825-407D-A709-9E8AD6039478.jpeg

Do you guys think nighthaunt will get a multi part chainrasp hordes kit? I mean considering they are the main battleline unit and you would kinda want to run 20-40 of them I would hope they would give us more variety than 10 duplicate basic sculpts in the starter set. They look kind of bland cause they are all floating to their right, heads angled to the left. 

1 minute ago, Vasshpit said:

@Gorthaur

I believe that the Chainrasp are all on their own sprue in the starter so my reasoning leads to doubtful. 

I'm pretty sure even the Grimghast Reapers just previewed are the same sculpts from the starter. 

Could be wrong...

Yeah that is what had me worried, but the grimghast appear to be different...notice the death bell the leader uses. The differences are subtle but their description points to them being slightly more customizable.

My biggest gripe with these releases is that based on that picture, grimghasts will indeed be min size of 10 like the ghb point leaks suggested, which would mean that the 4 guys of the starter set will be basically completely useless without some trickery. Fortunately for me, my brother is also buying the set so I get 8 of them through that, then I can simply make one of my extra cairnwraiths into grimghast (nobody'll notice the difference anyway) which just leaves 1 model short. Considering that the glaivewraith unit appears to be min size 4 (which is also stupid but believable if it is based around that easy to build kit), starter set should give me 1 extra which I'm sure can be cleverly converted into grimghast. Still, it's a real bother if this is true.

Edited by angrycontra

10 minutes ago, stickybluetoffee said:

So my thought is to get two sets of the starter units and the easy build Stalkers. Gives you 8 Reapers (you need 10) and 14 Stalkers (units of 4).

If you can convert 2 Stalkers into Reapers then you’ve got 10 Reapers and a unit of 12 stalkers.

Don't forget, you guys are counting x4 Grimghasts, but one in each box is the Bell carrier.  So you cannot just use him he also needs to be converted to a scythe.  Only one bell bro per unit.

Also, I had a game with my current 1000 point Nighthaunts using only old models against my Stormcast opponent this weekend.  We played with the new rules as the store has a GHB2018, although I used GHB2017 for Nighthaunt Allegiance obviously.

Sadly the game ended turn 2 with my opponent surrendering due to not thinking he had any chance to win.  Armies were:

Nighthaunt

Mr. Shrouds
  ~Pendant of the Fell Wind
  ~Lord of Hosts (Or whatever lets you reroll the summoning dice)

x4 Cairn Wraiths
x1 Tomb Banshee
x6 Spirit Hosts
x3 Spirit Hosts
x3 Spirit Hosts
x3 Spirit Hosts

Stormcasts

Dracoth Lord Guy
Gryph Riding Lord Guy
Lantern Bearing Angel Knight
x3 Five Man Units of Scout Hunters with Blades and Bolt Pistols
x1 Three Birb Units of Birbs
x1  Three Man Units of Hvy Bolter Guys

Long story short, I deployed only Mr. Shrouds, the large unit of Spirit Hosts, and another Cairn Wraith.  Spread them would so he could not bring in more than one unit to shoot Mr.Shrouds because if he and the Cairn Wraith died I would lose everything in the Underworld.  The bait was too tempting, he brought his scout hunters onto the table edge wide left to pour fire into the lone Cairn Wraith, and used his Command Ability to teleport the heavy bolters into range to shoot Mr.Shrouds.  Basically he went all in to kill my two heroes to prevent me bringing in the rest of my army.

Look Out Sir turned a deluge of incoming fire into a total of five saves for Mr.Shrouds to make.  Passed three of them losing two wounds.  Cairn Wraith was obliterated because he was not near enough for LoS!  Night haunt started with me bringing in the remaining forces except three of the Spirit Hosts who were too tired to show up.  Surrounded his forces and then... failed every charge except Mr. Shrouds reaching the heavy bolter guys and a single Cairn Wraith diving into the scouts on the left flank.  Cairn Wraith did 6 unsaved wounds killing three Stormcasts outright, and Mr.Shrouds was able to kill one of the three super crossbow Stormcasts.

Things looked good for the Stormcasts as they prepared to teleport away from the angry ghosts who didn't manage to fight them that round... but the double turn gods gave Battle Round 2 Turn 1 to the Nighthaunt.  With his Gryph riding lord surrounded by angry Spirit Hosts and Mr.Shrouds my opponent called the game there.   With the +1 to hit from Mr.Shrouds command ability, and six Spirit Hosts at the edge of 3" from his only means of escape, and Cairn Wraiths reaping around in his scout flanks he didn't even think the Dracoth lord could do enough damage to even try for objectives.

Moral of the story?

Look Out Sir saves lives.  Baiting mobile striking armies with juicy heroes will something that only gets more usable with all of our new juicy heroes.  Cairn Wraiths are mean 60 pt heroes.  Also... for those people asking why I have five leaders at 1000pts, I was cheating to make our armies more even, and I was still under points.  Opponent was aware of an fine with it, and seeing as the Tomb Banshe managed to cause one mortal wound to some birbs, she might as well have stayed home.

Edited by Nevar
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ahn-ket said:

I would say two starter boxes and three Cairn Wraiths plus a box of stalkers you have two stalkers and one bell guy spare which is a downside but you also have a set of heroes more than you need

I would say make the three scythe guys into really cool Cairn Wraiths and just buy the 10 man box of Grimghasts later if you want them.  You could even convert the bell dude into another Guardian of Souls if you put a spare lantern on the end of his stick instead of the bell.

If you have spare Hex Wraith weapons I think you could convert one bell and 2 stalkers into reapers (ie using the hex wraith scythes). Plus use some spare skulls from the Skeleton kit or skulls kit to turn the stalker heads into reaper heads.

That gives you 

12 Stalkers, 1 with drum

10 Reapers, 1 with Bell.

Edited by stickybluetoffee