List Builder

What digital list builders do you use? I know Battlescribe is lacking a solid database for AoS and the GW one lacks the detail that Battlescribe offers when it comes to printing your lists so I am just looking for options so I don't have to manually type everything out for my armies. Thanks.

I do miss army builder and the in depth printed templates it provided for WFB. Warscroll builder is nice for quickly throwing things together, but I miss having all the stats and rules for my army compiled onto 3-4 sheets of paper. I suppose I could make a fillable Excel or Word template and copy/paste the text and stats of relevant warscrolls.

34 minutes ago, AverageBoss said:

I do miss army builder and the in depth printed templates it provided for WFB. Warscroll builder is nice for quickly throwing things together, but I miss having all the stats and rules for my army compiled onto 3-4 sheets of paper. I suppose I could make a fillable Excel or Word template and copy/paste the text and stats of relevant warscrolls.

That's exactly what I miss and my one complaint about Warscroll builder. I would love to have it as a quick reference as I have taken the time to map out my lists using the codex and such, but now comes compiling everything.

9 hours ago, socrates1999 said:

Thanks for the tips. I guess I need to dig deeper into Warscroll Builder.

The only things to keep in mind with Warscroll Builder is that it doesn't validate that your list is legal and that any type of battleline counts as battleline (even if they're ineligible, hence doesn't validate your list).

This I guess is both a pro and a con, as it means if you ever play outside matched play restrictions you're not held back by a army builder that enforces those things.

That being said, I think if it were ever to get an overhaul, I would probably prefer to see allegiances become first class citizens when building a list (i.e battleline only counts as battleline if it should, don't show artefacts/command traits/spells/prayers/etc which aren't valid for the allegiance, etc).

That being said, I think it's hard to go past it! It's free, it's quick and it's easy to use. I've never even considered using anything else.

So I went the lazy route (really lazy) and just went with a quick Word template. Definitely not fancy, but does what I want it to do, and looks reminiscent of Army Builder. I just copy/paste the warscroll text, reformatting where need be, and typing out stuff like spells that's not available online.

First are two list examples (a Stormcast list and a DoT list), then the blank template.

Army Builder - Stormcast Eternals.docx

Army Builder - DoT.docx

Army Builder - Blank Template.docx

3 hours ago, someone2040 said:

The only things to keep in mind with Warscroll Builder is that it doesn't validate that your list is legal and that any type of battleline counts as battleline (even if they're ineligible, hence doesn't validate your list).

This I guess is both a pro and a con, as it means if you ever play outside matched play restrictions you're not held back by a army builder that enforces those things.

That being said, I think if it were ever to get an overhaul, I would probably prefer to see allegiances become first class citizens when building a list (i.e battleline only counts as battleline if it should, don't show artefacts/command traits/spells/prayers/etc which aren't valid for the allegiance, etc).

That being said, I think it's hard to go past it! It's free, it's quick and it's easy to use. I've never even considered using anything else.

This update (for battleline) is coming on Monday next week. :)

Working on artefacts/command traits next!

One of the reasons I wrote the Warscroll Designer, was that I wanted a way of creating "snippet" style warscrolls, so that I could fit 2 or 3 onto an A4 sheet. 

I'll be honest and say that for most games now though, I tend to use the GW warscroll cards with a number of small card-sized pieces for artefacts and spells, although there is a little more "faff" during the game, warscroll cards are not only smaller, but look a lot less intrusive than stacks of A4 paper on the tabletop.

34 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

One of the reasons I wrote the Warscroll Designer, was that I wanted a way of creating "snippet" style warscrolls, so that I could fit 2 or 3 onto an A4 sheet. 

I'll be honest and say that for most games now though, I tend to use the GW warscroll cards with a number of small card-sized pieces for artefacts and spells, although there is a little more "faff" during the game, warscroll cards are not only smaller, but look a lot less intrusive than stacks of A4 paper on the tabletop.

I agree, Warscroll cards are a great addition. Definitely going to try having little extras to put next to the cards, such as artefacts or extra abilities, as I sometimes forget and it saddens me greatly.

17 minutes ago, AlphaKennyThing said:

I agree, Warscroll cards are a great addition. Definitely going to try having little extras to put next to the cards, such as artefacts or extra abilities, as I sometimes forget and it saddens me greatly.

Small post-it notes are a thing of beauty for tagging certain heroes with their extra bits :)

Umm, am I the only one that uses Azyr in the app? Yes, its $1.50 a month, but i think it is worth it. does all the things that you could want, validates the lists and prints to about 3 pages for your list. No, it doesn't have tabulated rules, but i like it.

Thank you all for the good ideas. This is a far better response than I ever expected. I did play with Warscroll Builder last night and though I own the Grand Alliance Death Codex and the Legions of Nagash Codex there were references to spells I could not find, but then again that could just have been me. I guess I need to pick up the Generals Handbook 2017 as well, though I do have the original. Looks like I am going to my local shop after work today.

10 minutes ago, socrates1999 said:

Thank you all for the good ideas. This is a far better response than I ever expected. I did play with Warscroll Builder last night and though I own the Grand Alliance Death Codex and the Legions of Nagash Codex there were references to spells I could not find, but then again that could just have been me. I guess I need to pick up the Generals Handbook 2017 as well, though I do have the original. Looks like I am going to my local shop after work today.

This is why I like the Warscroll Builder. I have used Army Builder for years but it can make players lazy and assume that all the information in the software is correct (when often it isn't). Warscroll Builder is great for this as its a quick tool to sort out a list, easy to check if correct when comparing points and you need to know your list for it to be correct so no assumptions ;) 

Yeah I just use Warscroll Builder for AoS and mostly spreadsheets for anything more complicated - I've tried battlescribe but found it a pain in the ass. Sometimes I like to just use a pen & paper.

AoS list building is really easy compared to 40k list building so you can just use any method without wasting a lot of time. I think the points are actually a bit deceptive because we are basically playing the equivalent of 40k power level with bigger numbers. All the points values are multiples of 10  - for my models at any rate. so you could just reduce everything by a factor of 10 and make it all more simple. i.e. units costing 100 points now cost 10, units costing a 180 points cost 18 and we play 200 points not 2000.

I guess they did it for continuity but it it serves no practical purpose having everything cost 10 times as many points as it needs to.

4 hours ago, kaaras said:

Umm, am I the only one that uses Azyr in the app? Yes, its $1.50 a month, but i think it is worth it. does all the things that you could want, validates the lists and prints to about 3 pages for your list. No, it doesn't have tabulated rules, but i like it.

The problem with Azyr is that if you want to use stuff from say a Battletome, you need to have bought the book in the app. If you have it physically or bought the ePub there's no way to validate it in Azyr

What you guys recoment instead of the crappy online warscrol builder which is missing lots of stuff (example -> no stuff to pick for my free peeps/brets) and is not connected to the rules logic, like you can get more greatweapons in a unit of blood warriors than you have models lol. Or the paid app which his buggy as hell (for example cannot take more than one artifact per army lol).

Is there any project ongoing on the battlescribe profile ?

On 13/04/2018 at 10:04 PM, Verengard said:

What you guys recoment instead of the crappy online warscrol builder which is missing lots of stuff (example -> no stuff to pick for my free peeps/brets) and is not connected to the rules logic, like you can get more greatweapons in a unit of blood warriors than you have models lol. Or the paid app which his buggy as hell (for example cannot take more than one artifact per army lol).

Is there any project ongoing on the battlescribe profile ?

The above options are the only ones available unless you want to develop your own for everybody to use.  Most people accept that if they're running compendium armies that they're going to have to resort to old fashioned pen and paper to write their lists.  Unlike the new matched play points for 40k, one of the joys of AoS is that it has a pretty straightforward points system.

Archived