Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

2 hours ago, Locien83 said:

Seems like quite the immovable hammer!

I think my major concern would be model count and the fact that to get all the buffs it would need to stick together.  In an objective game that block could only be in one place at once in the way you describe it and when left without support those objective camping marauders are going to be vulnerable. (a good shooting army could have them off the board quickly).

If the Pusgoyles were to split up they would potentially lose a lot of their resilience but still be potent mobile hammers!

looks great fun to play though.  This is what I am loving about the Maggotkin book at the moment so many different viable options to play!

I don't know how you are going to maneuver a unit of 10 pusgoyles. That's a  lot of pretty big bases . Seems like good on paper, but the type of list that won't work on the board.  

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Soldier of decay said:

Ya it’s a very specific kind of list, great for a knife to the heart scenario?

I don't see how this list could be effective at any battle plan, even Knife to the heart.  Kill the marauders, which is extremely easy and then you're left with one unit and a few heroes.  The concept of unkillable Pusgoyles is good, 10 is just waaaaay too many for a single unit.  With that level of buff stacking, there's not even  a reason to go bigger than 4 pusgoyles.  Anyone with a Stardrake can tank that entire 1100 point unit of pusgoyles the entire game while still throwing out rain of stars to hit your other units on the battlefield.  This is definitely a case of too many eggs in one heavy, awkward basket.

5 minutes ago, Richelieu said:

I don't see how this list could be effective at any battle plan, even Knife to the heart.  Kill the marauders, which is extremely easy and then you're left with one unit and a few heroes.  The concept of unkillable Pusgoyles is good, 10 is just waaaaay too many for a single unit.  With that level of buff stacking, there's not even  a reason to go bigger than 4 pusgoyles.  Anyone with a Stardrake can tank that entire 1100 point unit of pusgoyles the entire game while still throwing out rain of stars to hit your other units on the battlefield.  This is definitely a case of too many eggs in one heavy, awkward basket.

I agree that 10 is a bit too much, especially because of footprints, but dont exagerate the stardrake potential hehe, he doesnt have that good of a save, and pusgoyles have -2 2 damage attacks, plus their stings, plus the no-rend rend attack that can explode to near 20. The thing should be out in max 2 turns of combat, but the unit he's up against is worth double the point too.

2 minutes ago, Poltron said:

I agree that 10 is a bit too much, especially because of footprints, but dont exagerate the stardrake potential hehe, he doesnt have that good of a save, and pusgoyles have -2 2 damage attacks, plus their stings, plus the no-rend rend attack that can explode to near 20. The thing should be out in max 2 turns of combat, but the unit he's up against is worth double the point too.

A stardrake will be backed up by a lord castellant.  He will regenerate more wounds than the few rend 2 attacks will deal.  If you get all 10 of them in combat with the stardrake you're looking at 5 rend 2 attacks.  Against a 1+ save Stardrake, there is a better chance that those attacks will do ZERO damage than scoring a single hit.  Non-mortal or -3 rend attacks against a stardrake backed by a lord castellant are an exercise in futility.

13 minutes ago, Richelieu said:

A stardrake will be backed up by a lord castellant.  He will regenerate more wounds than the few rend 2 attacks will deal.  If you get all 10 of them in combat with the stardrake you're looking at 5 rend 2 attacks.  Against a 1+ save Stardrake, there is a better chance that those attacks will do ZERO damage than scoring a single hit.  Non-mortal or -3 rend attacks against a stardrake backed by a lord castellant are an exercise in futility.

In a dice game, you always try to beat the odds. In that specific case, with the army he listed, he'll be back by Festus for the -1 to save roll, so almost no healing from the Lord-Castellant ability, and Blades of putrefaction would make quick work of the dragon, without needing the rend attacks. Those pusgoyles do have a lot of attack output.

It's not a good army list, I would prefer 1-2 units of 4 and a mean to increase their attack output, either Glottkin or a GUO,  but the drake isnt as scary, and we have the means to deal mortal wounds from everywhere too. I personally dont have trouble dealing with one, if the dice gods are statistically ok with me that day.

2 minutes ago, Aaron Schmidt said:

Question for y'all... How do you mitigate bad magic turns? Do you work out lists that work well without magic? Do you wait to do certain plays based on your magic turn status?

I see magic as a bonus, not as the core foundation of my army. Even with all the +1 to cast, the fact that we can only try a spell once per turn means if you were counting on it to do stuff, you're screwed if it doesnt. The good thing about it compared to before is that you now cast first, then move around, which means you can choose to change strategy in your turn instead of charging in, hoping for blades or mystic shield afterward.

I try to have a caster or 2 so that I have dice to roll in every phase, but army without magic could work too.

8 hours ago, Aaron Schmidt said:

Question for y'all... How do you mitigate bad magic turns? Do you work out lists that work well without magic? Do you wait to do certain plays based on your magic turn status?

It's an interesting question. Building often my strategy on Rotigus and his deluge i've find out that you can't rely on it and, generally, only on magic.

For this reason I will expand my Tally with some Rotbringers trying to have a more balanced army. I will probably put a GUO, Festus and a Sorcerer for magic and  they are, in fact, only 260 points spend for it (GUO is an all around General with the Bell, his command ability and resilience and I wont count him as an "magic investment"). With such of this point investment I focus on having some all around bonuses (wheel control, deal some mortals with Squall and buffing with Blades of Putrefaction) but i don't really rely only on magic focusing on fast HtH instead.

4 hours ago, Riavan said:

Hey guiiz. Got the SC nurgle demons box set to add to my death guard. Was wondering what I could add to get to 1k which would be good? Would prefer to keep it nurgle demons only atm.

If you can get hold of the Nurgle side of the Blightwar box you’ll have a nice start to a Nurgle force and all Deamons too!!

56 minutes ago, Locien83 said:

If you can get hold of the Nurgle side of the Blightwar box you’ll have a nice start to a Nurgle force and all Deamons too!!

I think this is good advice. Alternatively another Start Collecting box, if you don't want that, then a Great Unclean One and a box of Plaguebearers. That should also see you to 1k. with all daemons.

On 3/9/2018 at 6:07 AM, Forrix said:

Anyone run Munificent Wanderers? I've been thinking of building towards it since the bonuses to Rampant disease could get really nasty especially if you can fit Rotigus into it somehow.  I'm just brainstorming on how to keep it down to 2K points without running a bunch of min size Plaguebearers. Through with the Tallyband's regenerate d3 plaguebearers bonus min units might not be so bad...

Unfortunately you can't build the bear minimum requirements within 2k.

The minimum 8 units of plaguebearers, 3 battalions and 2 100  point heralds is 1780 before you add the required single GUO.

16 hours ago, Locien83 said:

15 hours ago, Spiky Norman said:

I think this is good advice. Alternatively another Start Collecting box, if you don't want that, then a Great Unclean One and a box of Plaguebearers. That should also see you to 1k. with all daemons.

Thanks guys. Originally I tried to find that half of the blight war box but I just can't seem to find anyone selling half near me.

I am not too fussed about money though. Just wanted a decent 1k army (or the best I can do with demons).

I think another ten plaguebearers and a guo + the sc box I have is 1k perfectly, but is that the best way to go at this level? That's a lot of points in a guo.

2 hours ago, Riavan said:

Thanks guys. Originally I tried to find that half of the blight war box but I just can't seem to find anyone selling half near me.

I am not too fussed about money though. Just wanted a decent 1k army (or the best I can do with demons).

I think another ten plaguebearers and a guo + the sc box I have is 1k perfectly, but is that the best way to go at this level? That's a lot of points in a guo.

My plan for now is a small 1k Deamons Nurgle army. List I've created is:

Rotigus
Poxbringer, Herald of Nurgle
10 Plaguebearers
10 Plaguebearers
3 Plague Drones
3x Nurglings

Durable and capable of spewing mortal wounds around all day long.

Apart from Rotigus, it's dirty cheap moneywise to build.

And it works :P

14 minutes ago, RoyalDachshund said:

My plan for now is a small 1k Deamons Nurgle army. List I've created is:

Rotigus
Poxbringer, Herald of Nurgle
10 Plaguebearers
10 Plaguebearers
3 Plague Drones
3x Nurglings

Durable and capable of spewing mortal wounds around all day long.

Apart from Rotigus, it's dirty cheap moneywise to build.

And it works :P

Looks like quite a potent list! Let us know how you get on with it. 

1 hour ago, Oldshrimpeyes said:

Can the Forgeworld Bile Troggoths be run in a maggotkin list? Azyr won't let me add them but not sure if that's for an actual reason or just...Azyr.

They have the nurgle keyword so they can absolutley be included in a nurgle army. I would steer clear of the Azyr app. It is not very intuitive and also has bugs and errors. Use the free warscroll builder app on warhammer community site. 

https://www.warhammer-community.com/warscroll-builder/

Anybody using chaos chosen in their maggotkin armies? Doing mortal wounds on the wound roll is great with nurgle since we have so many ways to buff wound rolls (war shrine, plague priests, cycle of corruption.. I'm sure there are others that are escaping me at the moment.) 

For quick reference: https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls/aos-warscroll-chaos-chosen-en.pdf

1 hour ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Anybody using chaos chosen in their maggotkin armies?

Just because of the price, and maybe we're spoiled with blightkings, but 140 for 10 wounds when you can have 160 for 21 seems like a deal cutter for me. They only have 4+ too and no mortal wounds protection compared to normal warriors.

The rule could be nice, you could reach +2 to wound pretty easily with the wheel and a priest, but I feel like they'll be removed from the table pretty quickly.

1 hour ago, Poltron said:

Just because of the price, and maybe we're spoiled with blightkings, but 140 for 10 wounds when you can have 160 for 21 seems like a deal cutter for me. They only have 4+ too and no mortal wounds protection compared to normal warriors.

The rule could be nice, you could reach +2 to wound pretty easily with the wheel and a priest, but I feel like they'll be removed from the table pretty quickly.

Valid points. Thanks for the input.

Hi can anybody give me some insight against Disciples of Tzeentch, Im completely a new player and Im afraid I'll be obliterated, it's 1K game, I was thinking the following

1 Spoilpox

-General, have not decided yet gifts and trait

3x10 Plague Bearers

1x30 Plague Bearers

Battalion; Tallyband of Nurgle

I thought this battalion could give a chance against superior firepower and magicks. PlagueBearers' pipers can counter battle shock auto 1 from masters of destiny ?

What do you think guys?

40 minutes ago, Congratz said:

Is the glottkin good in 1k games? what would a list look like?

I would doubt it. It's nearly half your points- you're not going to have enough units in that list to really take advantage of the bubble attack buff it gives. It's spell is also best on units of max size- perhaps a Glottkin, 30 plaguebearers and another battleline unit might work ok?

4 hours ago, peasant said:

Hi can anybody give me some insight against Disciples of Tzeentch, Im completely a new player and Im afraid I'll be obliterated, it's 1K game, I was thinking the following

1 Spoilpox

-General, have not decided yet gifts and trait

3x10 Plague Bearers

1x30 Plague Bearers

Battalion; Tallyband of Nurgle

I thought this battalion could give a chance against superior firepower and magicks. PlagueBearers' pipers can counter battle shock auto 1 from masters of destiny ?

What do you think guys?

You dont satisfy the requirements for tally band. And even if you did its a poor battalion.  Also you have literally no killing power. Get some drones!

Archived