Realmgates - how do they "work" (fluffwise)

thetony

Hi

I'm writing a short story for a campaign, which involves a village and a realmgate. The realmgate is one of the key ingredients in the story, but I have run into a problem. Maybe this has been discussed elsewhere (if so... sorry). The thing is: how does a realmgate "work"? Is it controlled by some "mechanic"? By magic? How can one know where the gate takes you? Can this be manipulated? In that case; what requires such manipulation? I haven't found any information about this... if someone could point me in the right direction, I would be very grateful!

Thanks in advance! :-)

You probably need to read Gates of Azyr.  As I understand it (and my memory is far from good), they were created by Sigmar as a way to cross the realms back when everyone still got on.  Impression I got is they're magical.  Not sure how you'd control the destination - some certainly seem "fixed" point to point (such as bringing Stormcast reinforcements to a recently opened gate), but I would imagine that it's a network that would allow the traveller to determine where they're going

Pretty sure Realmgates have static entry/exit points - one of the key features of the Allpoints was that it's tactically important because the it contained a number of realmgates that linked to all the realms in close proximity.
They're magic rather than mechanical. I've fallen off my reading but I'm sure I've read a passage about activating a realmgate (pretty sure it's the Hallowed Knights book, when they're in the Duardin city)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I believe they are a gate to a fixed point in either the same or different Realm. Going by All Gates book, the All Point gates are certainly linked to just one gate in a Realm. There may be other Realmgates that are able to be manipulated, say by magic users or priests so the travellers can go to whereever they want. 

The Realms are infinite, every possiblty is well.. possible, play and write backstories how you feel it should be and it shall be!

Great! Thanks, all of you! I haven't read "Only the Faithful" yet. I will do it right away!

The Realms are infinite, every possiblty is well.. possible, play and write backstories how you feel it should be and it shall be!

Yeah, freedom is king in AoS, but I would really like to stay true to the "facts" as much as possible :-) 

Again, thanks for your swift answers!

At the moment the realmgates are still a bit of a mystery. There are some, like the  allgates which have definite start and end points (the allgates standing as the nexus between all the realms), but the majority (an unknown number) connect to who knows where, and they come in all shapes and sizes, some are actual gates/doorways, there is one that is a giant skull connected to the realm of Khorne.

At the moment I don't think we know who created them or how they actually work. They are talked about being used by all people to travel in and between the realms. So they existed before chaos showed up and started rucking, and because some of the realmgates now seem to lead directly to the realm of chaos we can assume that they can be redirected. Also there are a couple of instances in the books where the Stormcast are sent to either open a realmgate (seeming to charge it with magic) or cleanse them from taint of chaos. As with so much of the setting of AoS currently i think this is deliberate, giving players, TOs, etc the option of creating their own mythology, stories, and setting for the games they want to play.

The way I have imagined them is based on reading the Realgate Wars books and the way the work in-game. I haven't read much of the novels so I may have missed info there.

Baleful Realmgates are the only ones we get to see on the table. They have been messed up by Chaos, so I assume they used to be less Baleful in the Age of Myth.

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls/scenery/aos-balefulrealmgate-en.pdf

In-game they can be used to take models off the board, to return at any board edge or another Realmgate. They carry a risk of models getting lost for good on the way (it's call a "Hazardous Journey" for a reason!). The risk can be reduced if a Wizard or Priest is nearby (probably using either prayer or magic to control the gate). I think that away from the high-stress conditions that would be inevitable in the middle of a battle there is probably a way of using a Realmgate (even a Baleful one) that doesn't have a one in six chance of ending is personal tragedy. And with a Wizard or Priest helping day to day travel is probably fairly safe.

Once or twice they have mentioned "minor" and "major" Realmgates - I think the minor gates only link to other gates in the same Realm, or specific gates in other Realms. So major gates are probably more flexible in the end-point you can reach.

In our campaigns our warbands travel between Realms fairly often and use Realmgates in battle to move around the board almost every game. Realmgates have high strategic value as they are the main travel routes, like mountain passes or ports in conventional warfare.

This new book, city of secrets, has the 'spear of mallus' a large shard of prophetic rock, a remnant of the world that was. 

I like the idea that magical or powerful objects or even bodies (relics if you will) endured and are lying where they fell - at least in "another dimension" sense.

That is, the world that was (old Warhammer) has left fragments lodged between the realms that keep them open unto each other.

They're extra dimensional and ancient.

13 minutes ago, Turragor said:

This new book, city of secrets, has the 'spear of mallus' a large shard of prophetic rock, a remnant of the world that was. 

I like the idea that magical or powerful objects or even bodies (relics if you will) endured and are lying where they fell - at least in "another dimension" sense.

That is, the world that was (old Warhammer) has left fragments lodged between the realms that keep them open unto each other.

They're extra dimensional and ancient.

Yup, in lord of undeath neferata has an ancient obelisk containing spirits from the warhammer world and when they were released? Heh they were quite upset in an almost city destroying way. 

20 minutes ago, Wundlesprut said:

Or Monsters Inc.

Yup! I see the gates working like the doors in Monsters Inc where majority of them are to fixed points but I imagine there are ones which can move, connect to other gates and even portable versions. Not forgetting the crazy stuff Skaven can do by burrowing between the realms!

I also imagine that they are all different as well and we have things like traditional doors, archways, mirrors, pools of liquid, magic chalk (you draw the door), even rooms where you turn off the light and when it's back on you are in another location (even magic beds where you go to sleep and wake up in another realm/location). This is the beauty of the background is that anything is possible.

1 hour ago, Mohojoe said:

Am I right in thinking in one of the books one of the gates is a giant beetle which SCE are trying to grab. It burrows away during a fight between the SCE and Ironjawz? is this right or is it a cough medicine induced hallucination

Less a beetle and more a giant worm thing. But yup.

• 3 months later...
On 25.01.2017 at 7:34 PM, Mohojoe said:

Am I right in thinking in one of the books one of the gates is a giant beetle which SCE are trying to grab. It burrows away during a fight between the SCE and Ironjawz? is this right or is it a cough medicine induced hallucination

The Mawgate in Ghur. Giant worm with the Ghur All-gate in his maw. Chaos forces have chained him with six Crawlerforts (giant crabs), but he still moves around when he wants. So yes.

Archived