Battletomes / Books - digital vs paper. Which do you prefer?

punkisdead

How do you buy your battletomes and other supplements?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Paper, digital, or both?

• Paper
    • Digital
    • Both

You need 5 posts before you can edit. I've added the Question mark :)

I prefer to buy the books, but I find that every now and then I'd like to look at the digital copy. It would be great if the physical copy came with a 1 time voucher for free ebook version or discount for one. Then I'd buy both.

1 minute ago, Bowlzee said:

You need 5 posts before you can edit. I've added the Question mark :)

I prefer to buy the books, but I find that every now and then I'd like to look at the digital copy. It would be great if the physical copy came with a 1 time voucher for free ebook version or discount for one. Then I'd buy both.

Ninja'ed!

I've just edited the title of the topic as well.

As for the question, I prefer both but purchase a physical copy as I like to have something physical in my hands. The electronic version is great on the train to work but annoying to read on a phone which is why I general don't buy them.

10 minutes ago, Gaz Taylor said:

As for the question, I prefer both but purchase a physical copy as I like to have something physical in my hands. The electronic version is great on the train to work but annoying to read on a phone which is why I general don't buy them.

Pretty much sums it up for me too!  I've an ipad so have the option for a larger and interactive battletome, but there's something nice about having a proper book.

52 minutes ago, meet.the.doctor said:

And the question mark?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rather unnecessary.

I own some digital, and am branching into books. The digital are great but really aren't useful for actually gaming. I liek to be able to read them on my small laptop/tablet but I dont really want to bring it to store.

29 minutes ago, Dez said:

I love the digital life...and this is coming from a bibliophile! I love that I can have a full library on all of my computers, iPhone, iPad...whatever. 

I'm kind of the same way. I'm a software developer by trade, so being able to buy most programming books as digital is awesome. Especially since I can have my entire library on my iPad.

However, I still love to have paper books.

7 minutes ago, punkisdead said:

I'm kind of the same way. I'm a software developer by trade, so being able to buy most programming books as digital is awesome. Especially since I can have my entire library on my iPad.

However, I still love to have paper books.

Must be a tech dude thing, :) my trade too.

Both have their plus points but the decider for me is that if I buy them on the App I've got everything I need in my pocket on my phone. I do think if would be a good marketing thing if GW gave a free digital copy when you bought a hard copy. My only evidence for this is that I'd like it to be the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Digital fan, in the main.

Got badly burnt with the GHB though. Too big to upload to Play Books (which I use for most of my ebooks), so I have to use the Kobo app as it appears to be the only ereader that can handle it GW's eFormat and OH MY GOD IT SUCKS. Like, pretty much as unhelpful as the book reader in the AoS app.

My main bug bear is the poor tie-up between the digital platforms, though.
If I buy the digital battletome from Black Library for £25, I don't get access to the rules via the app.
But I can buy the battletome in the app for £18 which unlocks some of the rules. Or I can pay £20 for all the rules but not the battletome?!

AAAARGH.
I can understand very easily the issues with giving digital access away with a physical product, but sharing info between digital editions shouldn't be that hard.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

After 15 years of gaming,  I've collected a large number of gaming books that now do nothing but collect dust.  I buy them because I think I'll eventually want to lead through them again,  but in this golden age of gaming,  so much material comes out that I never have the chance to revisit. 

Now I buy digital through the AoS app. Then I can screenshot the pages I need for games,  print them off,  and put them in individual books.  That way,  I can roll up to the table with a folder full of scenarios,  warscrolls,  and batallions exclusive to that game.   No leafing through books.  No battery concerns

On a side note, based on that last post, if the digital offered a way to select the warscrolls in your army and print them out in a really nice summary format, sort of a 'book of your army' way, I'd be muuuuch more inclined to buy digital.  As it is, give me books all day, every day.

28 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

On a side note, based on that last post, if the digital offered a way to select the warscrolls in your army and print them out in a really nice summary format, sort of a 'book of your army' way, I'd be muuuuch more inclined to buy digital.  As it is, give me books all day, every day.

That's fair, and I would absolutely love to see the same thing.  In the meantime, I guess taking screenshots and printing will have to do.  They actually print in very nice resolution, whole page format.  Then I slide them into protective sleeve and put them in one of those folders with the binder clips.

I suppose you could print 4 to a single page... a little harder on the eyes, but still serviceable.

I have to say, Google Play Books is *really* good for navigation - you can also note passages/pages or bookmark them for quick access.
It's just a nutbuster that anything bigger than a Battletome (GHB, Realmgate wars etc.) exceeds the upload limit and it doesn't work offline until you've uploaded them.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I like reading all the background and rules and also like planning with an electronic copy. But I find the electronic one slow when your doing a game, like someone mentioned, not entirely sure why they don't give you a download code or something when you buy a physical one, i'd pay more (but discounted) for both.

Much prefer paper books.  I spend most of my working life staring at screens (programmer), so I'd rather just get away from them (that, and reading anything more than about 1 side of A4 on a screen is a PITA for me, compared to printed material).

Having said that, I have downloaded all of the warscrolls for my armies off of GW's website*, and use them for reference when at the PC.  I've also printed them two-up, and cut them out to make A5 "unit cards" (idea being to have the cards for the units I'm using at the edge of the table).

* It'd be great if GW added a single file download of all of the current warscrolls for a given "faction" to the bit of their site the compendium downloads live in, IMHO.

Archived