Let's chat : Blades of Khorne!

Arkiham

There it is, I wonder how many times I've read your copy-pasta over the last 8(?) months.

As a disclaimer for people who stumble over this: When the GHB2017 dropped there was a big discussion thread which lasted for several weeks, about how the ally system really works. In the end, resulting in the generally accepted interpretation that allies are just keyword-based like everything else in AoS. The guy above me, didn't like that his own variant was disregarded by the community like that. Ever since, he is using every opportunity to spam his own narrative, trying to convince people by spamming the same text over and over again.  (in pretty much every thread where allies are somehow mentioned, I swear he is just searching for this all day...) . My only guess is that he is roleplaying as an agent of tzeentch and trying to start another, senseless discussion or just confuse new players.

The matter of the fact is, no one is playing it that way, not even GW on their own freaking events...

So don't feed the troll (I kinda did but it can't be helped)

The thread in question (it's a hard read): 

A post from warhammer-community that supports the keyword-version:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/10/15/chaos-warscroll-updatesgw-homepage-post-4/

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@TheOtherJosh and for anybody who has any questions or queries about stuff - Please ask the question on the Age of Sigmar Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/GWWarhammerAgeofSigmar/). It will be picked up and passed over to the folks in the Studio to mull over. Please do not labour the point on these boards (especially using RAW). Now is probably the best time to be thinking about stuff like this as I'm sure they will be asking for questions to review in time for the next Generals Handbook

Soooo who's using Battleline troops (not including bloodletters)?

Im just seeing a lot of armies with 3xmin Battleline and then max on kill stuff, quickly kill everything and then think about objectives in turn 3-5.

I use 10 Blood Warriors, 20-40 Bloodreavers, or 40 Marauders, or a combo of any/all in every single game. I think our Battleline are more relevant and useful than other armies coz of perks and buffs.

Hello to everyone!

So, yesterday i bought a little khorme army, consisting of a wrath of khorne bloodthirster, 60 bloodletters, 2 skull cannons (the guy that sold me the army gifted them to me, and free is good :P), 1 bloodsecrator, 1 slaughterpriest and 1 mighty lord of khorne.

I tried to create a list, and i made this:

Allegiance: Khorne

Leaders
Wrath Of Khorne Bloodthirster (330)
- General
- Trait: Immense Power 
- Artefact: Armour of Scorn 
Skulltaker (100)
- Artefact: Harvester of Skulls 
Bloodsecrator (120)
- Artefact: The Brazen Rune 
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Killing Frenzy
Slaughterpriest with Hackblade and Wrathhammer (100)
- Blood Blessing: Bronzed Flesh

Battleline
30 x Bloodletters (270)
30 x Bloodletters (270)
5 x Blood Warriors (100)
- Goreaxes
30 x Bloodreavers (210)
- Reaver Blades

Units
5 x Flesh Hounds (100)

Battalions
Murderhost (120)
Gore Pilgrims (180)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 146

What do you think about it? It seems quite killy to me, with overall good protection from magic with the bloodsecrator, 2 priests, wrath of khorne, hounds and the brazen rune.

Any suggestion? How would you male a list starting from the pieces i have?

Thank you!

List looks cool, feel free to start out like that. Double Battalions for us is often a little too expensive, or at least it is for me.
The core of your list still looks really good. If you drop Murderhost you could still include a Bloodstoker upgrade the unit fo Bloodreavers to 40 and still have points left for more Fleshhounds or stuff like it. This way you get more units to buff, which usually is what you want to do with Gore Pilgrims. You do increase drop count however.

Got a box of Skullreapers yesterday, but I'm confused how to give the Soultearer to the Skullseeker. It looks like I can't swap the weapon only but have to replace almost the whole model? Which parts define the Skullseeker? And where is the Vicious Mutation on the Skullseeker model?

3 hours ago, Killax said:

List looks cool, feel free to start out like that. Double Battalions for us is often a little too expensive, or at least it is for me.
The core of your list still looks really good. If you drop Murderhost you could still include a Bloodstoker upgrade the unit fo Bloodreavers to 40 and still have points left for more Fleshhounds or stuff like it. This way you get more units to buff, which usually is what you want to do with Gore Pilgrims. You do increase drop count however.

The idea behind the list is to strike hard, strike fast and stike first, reducing the "exposition time" to enemy's ranged attacks.

Murderhost for me gives that mobility that bloodletters lack, and with 2d6" move + 6" move + D6+1" run + 2D6+1" charge it shouldn't be that hard to get into melee with one of the units of bloodletters.

I'll try it a little bit, i have so much to test!

I inherited 20 blood warriors, 80 bloodreavers and 10 bloodletters. I would like to turn them in to a playable force. I know I need a general, I also have been told that I need to buy support units, but I do not know which one. Anyone can help with what to buy first?

1 hour ago, Karol said:

I inherited 20 blood warriors, 80 bloodreavers and 10 bloodletters. I would like to turn them in to a playable force. I know I need a general, I also have been told that I need to buy support units, but I do not know which one. Anyone can help with what to buy first?

The must haves are bloodstoker and bloodsecrator for support.

30 minutes ago, Karol said:

Am either stupid or blind, but I went through the GW web page 5 times, and I couldn't find them. Are they OOP or something ?

They are both in the AOS starter set. 

You can buy the Bloodsecrator in this two pack: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Korghos-Khul-and-Bloodsecrator, but they are both pretty cheap on the secondary market like ebay.

3 hours ago, Karol said:

A bloodsecrator, blood stoker, and slaughterpriests are probably the most universal support units. The mighty lord of khorne comes with the bloodsecrator and he is a fairly solid general. The Gorechosen boxed game if its still being sold would be good since it has several heroes for a good price. Once you have your heroes, you will have enough to play small games and figure out where you want to go from there.

17 minutes ago, TheWilddog said:

They are both in the AOS starter set. 

You can buy the Bloodsecrator in this two pack: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Korghos-Khul-and-Bloodsecrator, but they are both pretty cheap on the secondary market like ebay.

I don't really want to buy the starter set, the secondary market for models is non existant here.  How many bloodsecators/Khuls does an army need? Would 2 boxs be enough for a normal sized army, or do I need more? also what about the deathdealers and slaughterpriests. they are much cheaper in money, does it make them also worse as far as rules goes?

6 minutes ago, NemoVonUtopia said:

Once you have your heroes, you will have enough to play small games and figure out where you want to go from there.

I haven't playe table top games, before so I wouldn't know what to buy or what is considered normal or small game. How many more models do I need to have a full army on top of the stuff I already have?

On 05/05/2018 at 12:21 AM, JetBlackSVW said:

Got a box of Skullreapers yesterday, but I'm confused how to give the Soultearer to the Skullseeker. It looks like I can't swap the weapon only but have to replace almost the whole model? Which parts define the Skullseeker? And where is the Vicious Mutation on the Skullseeker model?

The Vicious Mutation is the scorpion tail.

As for the Soultearer. If you must put it on the Skullseeker you'd have to remove it below the hilt and attach it to the hilt of another weapon.

Is there any particular reason you are arming him with the Soultearer? Skullseekers don't recieve extra attacks like a Blood Warrior Champion.

20 minutes ago, jazman84 said:

The Vicious Mutation is the scorpion tail.

As for the Soultearer. If you must put it on the Skullseeker you'd have to remove it below the hilt and attach it to the hilt of another weapon.

Is there any particular reason you are arming him with the Soultearer? Skullseekers don't recieve extra attacks like a Blood Warrior Champion.

Now I'm even more confused, so the Skullseeker is the guy with the scorpion tail? Because the instructions show a different figure as the Skullseeker and the warscroll states that the Vicious Mutation belongs to the Skullseeker.

On 5/5/2018 at 7:44 AM, Karol said:

I don't really want to buy the starter set, the secondary market for models is non existant here.  How many bloodsecators/Khuls does an army need? Would 2 boxs be enough for a normal sized army, or do I need more? also what about the deathdealers and slaughterpriests. they are much cheaper in money, does it make them also worse as far as rules goes?

I haven't playe table top games, before so I wouldn't know what to buy or what is considered normal or small game. How many more models do I need to have a full army on top of the stuff I already have?

One Bloodsecrator and One Khul/mighty Lord is sufficient. Bloodstokers can only be bought in the starter set however all you need is a whip and you convert one up pretty easily. Otherwise ebay is your friend. One is usually enough.

The Aspiring Deathbringer is a handy general in small games, the Exalted Deathbringer is a bit ******. Slaughterpriests are awesome and you should aim for 3 of these guys (they can be bought separately and there is one in the Gorechosen board game if you can find it).

In terms of a normal game, 2000 points is probably what most people aim for and should take around 3 hours to play. As you are starting out you will want to be around the 500-1000 point mark and build up from there. Points can be found in the General's Handbook 2018 so grab yourself a copy ASAP. It also lets you know the restrictions/limitations on how many of each different type of unit you can take in your army depending on the points you play. You will also need the Blades of Khorne battletome as it has additional special rules, battalions and abilities for our army and will help you decide what else you want to add over time, not to mention cool stories and painting ideas. Also Games Workshop has a free app where you can download and read all of the warscrolls.

The models you inherited give you a solid core of units and work out to be 990 points. If you add in the characters as suggested by me and others along with a battalion you will get to 2000 points pretty quickly. Below is a 2000 point list I quickly put together for you based on what you have with some recommendations;

Mighty Lord Of Khorne (140)
- General
Bloodsecrator (120)
Bloodstoker (80)
Slaughterpriest (100)
Slaughterpriest (100)
Slaughterpriest (100)
10 x Blood Warriors (200)
- Goreaxes
- 1x Goreglaives
10 x Blood Warriors (200)
- Goreaxes
- 1x Goreglaives
40 x Bloodreavers (240)
- Meatripper Axes
40 x Bloodreavers (240)
- Meatripper Axes
30 x Bloodletters (270)
Gore Pilgrims (180)

Total: 1970 / 2000

The above is very infantry heavy (i.e. slow) but has lots of models and gives you an idea of where your army can head. Once you get your hands on the battletome you will see what other units are available and what they can offer to your army. Then you start changing the above list to suit what you want.  Good luck!

Leaders
- General
Bloodmaster, Herald of Khorne (80)
Bloodsecrator (120)
Bloodstoker (80)
Slaughterpriest (100)

Battleline
30 x Bloodletters (270)
30 x Bloodletters (270)
40 x Bloodreavers (240)
- Meatripper axes

Units
15 x Flesh Hounds (300)
1 x Khorgoraths (80)

Battalions
Murderhost (120)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Wounds: 173

Revisited the list, removed the Gore pilgrim for more models, how is it now?

Does anyone have any experience running the Gore Pilgrims + Brass Stampede list that has been doing quite well in tourneys lately?  I can't for the life of me work out how it's doing so well but it seems like fun.

5 hours ago, EnDirty said:

Does anyone have any experience running the Gore Pilgrims + Brass Stampede list that has been doing quite well in tourneys lately?  I can't for the life of me work out how it's doing so well but it seems like fun.

I run a variant that replaces a couple things for a 30 strong unit of Bloodletters. It just hits like a train honestly, it isn't a list that plays itself though, you need to pick charges well or your Skullcrushers can get stuck in combat with stuff they don't want to be with. Gore pilgrims is just really strong honestly, those mortal wounds and buffs stack fast, makes me a bit sad that I dropped one to help get the Bloodletters in. Khorgorths are just amazing and overlooked by a lot of players, maybe due to only having the one model? I run two and they're regularly the stars of the game, so I can get behind running more and I plan to once they get a kit.

18 hours ago, Agent of Chaos said:

One Bloodsecrator and One Khul/mighty Lord is sufficient. Bloodstokers can only be bought in the starter set however all you need is a whip and you convert one up pretty easily. Otherwise ebay is your friend. One is usually enough.

The Aspiring Deathbringer is a handy general in small games, the Exalted Deathbringer is a bit ******. Slaughterpriests are awesome and you should aim for 3 of these guys (they can be bought separately and there is one in the Gorechosen board game if you can find it).

In terms of a normal game, 2000 points is probably what most people aim for and should take around 3 hours to play. As you are starting out you will want to be around the 500-1000 point mark and build up from there. Points can be found in the General's Handbook 2018 so grab yourself a copy ASAP. It also lets you know the restrictions/limitations on how many of each different type of unit you can take in your army depending on the points you play. You will also need the Blades of Khorne battletome as it has additional special rules, battalions and abilities for our army and will help you decide what else you want to add over time, not to mention cool stories and painting ideas. Also Games Workshop has a free app where you can download and read all of the warscrolls.

The models you inherited give you a solid core of units and work out to be 990 points. If you add in the characters as suggested by me and others along with a battalion you will get to 2000 points pretty quickly. Below is a 2000 point list I quickly put together for you based on what you have with some recommendations;

The above is very infantry heavy (i.e. slow) but has lots of models and gives you an idea of where your army can head. Once you get your hands on the battletome you will see what other units are available and what they can offer to your army. Then you start changing the above list to suit what you want.  Good luck!

Thanks man, what do people think about using different models for slaughter priests.? I like the model with the sword and ball&chain, but the rest are meh looking to me. I was thinking about using the one with the impaling spear as one. It is sad to hear that deathbringers are bad I like their models a lot.

But the worse thing is the bloodstoker being auto include. I never done anything with models in my life and I don't want to mess up any models, and am not going to buy a huge starter set for just one model. Are there any accepted proxies for him? Wish there was a better secondary market for Age of Sigmar, but here it is more or less non existent. There is a ton of old WFB armies on sale, mostly elfs and orcs.

10 hours ago, Asore23 said:

Leaders
- General
Bloodmaster, Herald of Khorne (80)
Bloodsecrator (120)
Bloodstoker (80)
Slaughterpriest (100)

Battleline
30 x Bloodletters (270)
30 x Bloodletters (270)
40 x Bloodreavers (240)
- Meatripper axes

Units
15 x Flesh Hounds (300)
1 x Khorgoraths (80)

Battalions
Murderhost (120)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Wounds: 173

Revisited the list, removed the Gore pilgrim for more models, how is it now?

With a bit of shuffling you could get the max murderhost easily. I would split the fleshounds anyway to maximise thier reroll charge and dispel abilities.

I would also split the reavers, gives you some drops to guard your deployments zone and potentially 4 quick blood tithe points to buff your actually Killy stuff.

2 hours ago, Karol said:

Thanks man, what do people think about using different models for slaughter priests.? I like the model with the sword and ball&chain, but the rest are meh looking to me. I was thinking about using the one with the impaling spear as one. It is sad to hear that deathbringers are bad I like their models a lot.

But the worse thing is the bloodstoker being auto include. I never done anything with models in my life and I don't want to mess up any models, and am not going to buy a huge starter set for just one model. Are there any accepted proxies for him? Wish there was a better secondary market for Age of Sigmar, but here it is more or less non existent. There is a ton of old WFB armies on sale, mostly elfs and orcs.

For the Bloodstoker, I would highly recommend purchasing via eBay. There are tons of reputable second-hand bits merchants on there. Just search "Bloodstoker bits." Doing so right now I see a Bloodstoker for immediate purchase available for $2.99  (I'm in the US). There's another one up for auction starting at $0.99. I assume that'll go up, but I've actually managed to buy one off of eBay for $0.99. It's one of the cheapest models out there if you're willing to buy it not-in-the-box. I do this all the time and have never had any issues.

For your questions about the Slaughterpriest, depends on where you're playing. If you're just playing casually, you should be fine as long as your opponent understands. If playing competitively, some places are "what you see is what you get," so using another model (especially if it's unconverted) might be frowned upon.

In terms of other Slaughterpriest options, just putting a different head on can actually make a huge difference in the appearance. Something else to consider.

Archived