How To Pile In - by Warhammer TV!

daedalus81

Just read the FAQ and it looks like they would be able to move.

At 1:50 in the video is where he says they can't move due to being blocked. What about models with 2" range that could move closer, in behind there own guys to get within range? Is it because they are slightly more then 3" away? I don't see a rule that say they need to start within 3" to pile in.

The unit needs to have charged or be within 3". The models in said unit can then pile in 3" (or in some cases 6") towards the nearest model (on a model by model basis). They don't all have to move. 

Sometimes you can hit one end of a long line of cavalry and this forces the enemy models at the far end to derp about trying to wheel around towards the end you hit over several turns.

So half the shenanigans are now legal..at least base to base contact is no more moving!

To bad it doesn't show how to, in the last bit, with more models on the receiving end.. I guess only models on the ends can move aroundtowards their closest model.. charge move will be more important now to make sure you can pile in more models this way

Great to see videos like this. However, I still don't think piling in is clear enough. That "tactical" move of not going fully into B2B contact so he can wrap around is a bit gamey for me. You should almost never go into B2B contact then (if you can), to keep being able to orbit models and get ever so slightly closer, even though orbiting was outlawed by the FAQ.

loved the video and loved the fact that they did a video. However would have liked an example in that second bit with more than one enemy.

Its interesting actually. That second part effectively lessened the problem i had with pile in.

If you have the same scenario as the video but instead of 1 liberator you have 3. if the prime (who is slightly closer) is surro

unded the back units are stuck since they cant make it round.

So effectively the closest model is the one at the start of the turn. so i can move a model in such a way that its technically closer to the original "closest model" even if as a result i end up closer to a different model. Then by the next turn the "closest mode"l will have changed

51 minutes ago, PC Veteran said:

The pile in says. You move each model closer to the closest enemy model. In this example. The guys in the back have space to move closer. So why can't he move them? I thought that you can't move them if there is no way to get the model closer.

Yeah . . . .  i didnt get that bit either. They were more than 3" away so even if they just moved into the back of there own team they still would have been closer. Why couldn't they move  . . . .?

13 minutes ago, polarbear said:

even though orbiting was outlawed by the FAQ.

No it wasn't. You cannot pile in further if you are already in contact. As shown in the video, proper tactics allow a degree of "orbiting" as long as you are getting closer to the nearest enemy model (as in, the distance between your model and the enemy model reduces). 

Just now, rokapoke said:

No it wasn't. You cannot pile in further if you are already in contact. As shown in the video, proper tactics allow a degree of "orbiting" as long as you are getting closer to the nearest enemy model (as in, the distance between your model and the enemy model reduces). 

I got that. I just think it's more goofy/gamey/clumsy than tactical.

Great to see videos like this. However, I still don't think piling in is clear enough. That "tactical" move of not going fully into B2B contact so he can wrap around is a bit gamey for me. You should almost never go into B2B contact then (if you can), to keep being able to orbit models and get ever so slightly closer, even though orbiting was outlawed by the FAQ.

I like the tactical aspect of this. What you may be overlooking is that as part of the decision making process for activations in the combat phase, one may want to pile in particular models of one's own into enemy models so that subsequently those enemy models cannot themselves  "orbit and spiral in" (you could call it that to reflect the fact that you are getting slightly closer to the enemy model that you are running around) around one's models so as to free up space for the enemy models behind them.

1 minute ago, Nico said:

I like the tactical aspect of this. What you may be overlooking is that as part of the decision making process for activations in the combat phase, one may want to pile in particular models of one's own into enemy models so that subsequently those enemy models cannot themselves "orbit" around one's models so as to free up space for the enemy models behind them.

I see that, and I'm glad if some people like it. Just seems less tactical and more gamey to me. One of my gripes with the AoS rules is how gamey some of them are, which hurts my immersion.

2 hours ago, polarbear said:

I see that, and I'm glad if some people like it. Just seems less tactical and more gamey to me. One of my gripes with the AoS rules is how gamey some of them are, which hurts my immersion.

I think the opposite. In trying to replicate a crazy swirling melee wheeling is essential.

It's a good video. Nice to explain the "leave a gap" trick. I thought with the two guys at the back who were "blocked" Rob still should have piled them in a close as he could, there could be some confusion from that part that he couldn't move the models - when of course he could, he just wouldn't be able to get them in range.

2 hours ago, KhaosZand3r said:

God you guys can't ever be satisfied, can you? 

Because they didnt answer all the issues that people have with pile ins?

Kudos to them for doing something about it but there is nothing wrong for asking something to be done right

especially since it take them so long before they decide to do anything about it. People have had trouble with pile ins since the game was released.

If ask someone what color is the sky and they turn round and say "well its not yellow" do i not have the right to be a little critical of there answers?

For years I have wanted them to make WD Battle Reports partly instructional.  Answer common rules issues they encounter in their game. Show rule-oriented tactics.  That sort of thing.

Now they have done one as a video.

It's ... a good start.

I really like that they did this, but they need to get better camera angles, go a bit slower, explain more in depth, refer to the rules ("It says in this section that ... so we see how that applies here"), and use some graphics to highlight motions, locations, and specific models.  In other words, what we got in this one was "Hey, we are going to talk rules...but give us a few eps to get it right."

I think that after this video the people who were already doing right are more certain that they are right and the people who weren't sure if they were doing it right are less sure what they're supposed to be doing.

I wouldn't say it was flawless, but I like what I'm seeing (particularly as somebody whose first and pretty much only miniature gaming experience has been AoS).

Archived