Rampant Duardin Speculation Thread

hobgoblinclub

2 minutes ago, hobgoblinclub said:

I think the 8th Edition plastics will almost certainly be part of the new army. The infantry, gyros and characters will probably appear in a Start Collecting box and we'll get a load of new filth to fill the army out. 

I do hope so. I have just come back from my first tourney with Ogors and as fun as they were I am ready to sell them off and throw myself entirely into stunty blokes.

It would be really nice to see synergy through the Duardin keyword so that the different factions can work together as a very even whole. Likewise I would like to see Steamhead be the answer to the speed issue that faces Fyreslayers and Dispossessed as Scenario play seems very factored towards speed (as far as getting to objectives goes anyway). 

Overall I would like to see Steamhead as a functional addition that ties together the Dwarves we have rather than as a separate entity.  Introducing reboxed units with a healthy addition of new artillery and speed focused mini's.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, hobgoblinclub said:

I think the 8th Edition plastics will almost certainly be part of the new army. The infantry, gyros and characters will probably appear in a Start Collecting box and we'll get a load of new filth to fill the army out. 

That would be my hope. I am a born pessimist, so I tend to see it the other way. 

I would like to see Longbeards and Ironbreakers become battleline, Hammerers remain elite, and Irondrakes becoming the only ranged infantry. 

I could live with the loss of the Warriors, Thunderers/Quarrelers honestly. I dont have as much of them as I do the newer 8e plastics. 

I guess we'll see in a few months one way or the other. I am kind of looking forward to what is to come, though I am doing so with trepidation.

I'm sitting on a large pile of loot ready to pull the trigger on some dwarves.  Just finished a seraphon army and quite excited to get into some more metallic paint schemes. 

The wait is definitely rough. Especially with this dry spell of rumor drops. :( 

3 hours ago, Hyperion said:

I'm sitting on a large pile of loot ready to pull the trigger on some dwarves.  Just finished a seraphon army and quite excited to get into some more metallic paint schemes. 

The wait is definitely rough. Especially with this dry spell of rumor drops. :( 

I was doing the same.... but I buckled and started a Fyreslayers army... i guess its still dwarfs.

17 hours ago, Mohojoe said:

It would be really nice to see synergy through the Duardin keyword so that the different factions can work together as a very even whole. Likewise I would like to see Steamhead be the answer to the speed issue that faces Fyreslayers and Dispossessed as Scenario play seems very factored towards speed (as far as getting to objectives goes anyway).

I'm really hoping for this too.  I was at a tournament on the weekend that allowed compendium armies, so I rocked my dwarfs.  I lost my first match because my opponent ran away, and I couldn't catch them.... it was very frustrating.  Now, had I had some sort of steam powered air ship..... different story lol

On 2/18/2017 at 3:11 PM, Shorewood said:

I want the steamheads not just to have a blimp, but a battle zeppelin, it could be their one "huge" model that each of the armies has.  Giant steam airship bristling with cannons that can shoot at two different units from each of its sides.  Let it be able to carry a unit of like 20 dwarves so that it can land for a turn and drop of the troops in an advantageous place before lifting off and hammering the enemy with more artillery fire.  

I WAS RIGHT!!!!  MY HOPES ARE FULFILLED!  

The models look epic! I am super stoked. AND it comes out near my birthday! Whoo!

I am ONLY saddened that it looks like the Dispossessed might not be involved in this at all. Which makes my first chunk of dwarves at best Ally fodder (which, depending on what Allegiance stuff they have, may not ever happen!) Not a big deal for me, but I understand the disappointment of those with actual BIG Dwarf Armies... 

But man, I am stoked to see what these Duradin will bring! Looks fun, at least. BLIMPS! 

I just hope they don't have cannons or handguns. Just my opinion, but I don't like the idea of gunpowder weapons in AoS because it doesn't really fit the mystical fantasy theme, especially since all of the new model releases have bows of some description.

I'd like to see steam-powered ballistas or something though, and the Flamethrower guys (irondrakes?) still fit in with the setting.

Just my opinion, please don't be too mad.

EDIT: 

Just saw the trailer... oh well.

I'm guessing we'll see all new weapons with their roots in the old Dispossed range. Very keen to know the Lore and how they interact.

Maybe we'll see the Dispossed merged into the Free People's armies in the future as they come together to embrace "traditional" values in the wake of the return of these guys.

Really don't know where i stand on these.

On one hand, the models are LUSH and i'll inevitably be buying them as i love Dwarfs but

1) I'm not sure if it's a bit too high tech for the setting. It's a big jump!
2) I really miss the beards - Dwarfs need beards so i'll be doing head swaps on all my infantry models i think.
3) It's not really a new IP. It's like GW have copied Mantic's dwarf range (wtf?)

From all the chat's i'm in this release seemingly has split the opinion of the masses.

40 minutes ago, Slave2Chaos said:

What base sizes do the new infantry appear to be on? 25? 32?

I would hazard guess it's 32mm as it gives them more room to play around with the models and they look quite chunky.

3 hours ago, Caladancid said:

Maybe they are close ish to Mantic. But they also are actually good looking models. 

Yup but we've got to remember it's not exactly a new concept. For example in Skyrim, the 'Dwarfs' in that are technology based and there has been elements of it in the last few editions of Fantasy. I do think though GW have nailed it :D 

8 hours ago, Lucio said:

I'm guessing we'll see all new weapons with their roots in the old Dispossed range. Very keen to know the Lore and how they interact.

Maybe we'll see the Dispossed merged into the Free People's armies in the future as they come together to embrace "traditional" values in the wake of the return of these guys.

I'm expecting the Dispossessed to stay where they are. They are the Duardin who fled to Azyr to be protected by Sigmar, so I am not expecting them to be getting any new books or anything for quite a while. I am however expecting some Kharadron Overlords ability which effects Dispossessed due to the Duardin keyword, which opens the gates for some cool combo! :D 

Archived