Rampant Duardin Speculation Thread

hobgoblinclub

So with Duardin still apparently 'just around the corner, I thought it might be time to get overly excited about the release...which willl inevitably still be months away. 

What do you think it will look like? The 8th Edition release was another pile of infantry and ultimately underwhelming. Will we get treated to something special in the Age of Sigmar?

Something I'd love to see, which would put a completely new spin on duardin, would be the potential to build an all flying list. We already have gyrocopters and gyrobombers, a blimp has long been rumored, and recently we're seeing mention of 'jump/jet pack duardin'. If the latter were 'Battleline if army had Steamhead allegiance' imagine the sight of a duardin army swooping, hovering and buzzing across the table. It would be a far cry from the slow, castling dwarves of old! 

Any kits you'd like to see? And what kind of lists do you want to be able to build? 

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Assumption: Release will build upon current factions and will not be a new one (e.g. Not like Ironjawz).  I'm guessing that it will build off of the Dispossessed.

My guess is that they will depend on ambush/tunneling mechanics and perhaps some kind of oathstone type stuff for guarding objectives.  The last dwarf release was recent enough that I have a hard time thinking that we'll see a major redesign from the new 8th edition models.

Duardin definitely need a new release or two.  The existence of Ironweld makes me think that a focus on flying will not be the new Duardin/Dispossessed release focus.  My wild guess is tunneling meganobz for Duardin.  Or perhaps some sort of tunneling team or machine that can attached to units to transport them around the board.

3 minutes ago, Warboss Gorbolg said:

Duardin definitely need a new release or two.  The existence of Ironweld makes me think that a focus on flying will not be the new Duardin/Dispossessed release focus.  My wild guess is tunneling meganobz for Duardin.  Or perhaps some sort of tunneling team or machine that can attached to units to transport them around the board.

I hadn't thought of that. You might be right. Disappointing. Is there a precedent for any of the factions in the Grand Alliance books being gazumped (for lack of a better word) after a battletome's release?

Ah...the zombie dragon was put into Beasts of the Grave but still appeared in Flesh Eater Courts. I can hope. 

I'm pretty sure all rumours point to Steamhead, rather than Dispossessed. Regardless, it could well be tunnelling themed. 

2 minutes ago, Warboss Gorbolg said:

Forgot to add that I'd like to see the Longbeards become the new warriors and a replacement kit for Thunderers and Quarellers. The current warriors especially show their age.

Absolutely. I think we will see them replaced or just removed from the game altogether. Why else did they not replace such dated kids in 8th?

The more I think about it, the more I realise it's almost impossible to predict what they'll do. It could go in any direction. I think we can safely say machinery of some sort will be involved. 

I've read somewhere that the duardin of today are craftsmen and exceptional smiths under the guidance of Grungni who forged First SC armor for Siggy.

since things evolved in size and only the biggest survived, I'd like to see large dwarfs. Not giants but sentinels the size of a Minotaur or a rat ogre to counter all the big things running around the mortal realms now. It can be piloted or even better, made alive with runes since the duardin race is still replenishing itself and shorts lives matter.

Guardian sentinels made to protect from demons and god beasts. In the cool image of faces on old dwarf castle gates. Mountain Guards. 

I think the faction as a whole would greatly benefit from allegiance abilities since anything is better then the base order ones. And also changing how Vulkite work in matched play. Either reducing their points or increasing the minimum unit size to 10. 

Also giving points to formations that don't suck would be nice. #SubterraneanFyrestorm #Underborers 

11 hours ago, Malakithe said:

From what I've heard it's a new faction. The Steamhead. I even heard of jump packs, blimps, and even a mechanical type thing. 

Seems to be some kind of sky based techy duardin.

Some of these rumors have been circulating for years (blimp/big machines).  Even the Steamhead has been rumored for many months now.  It all sounds cool but I'm chalking it up to wishlisting that gained popularity as "rumors" over time.  Blimps from the Gotrek series and lots of WoW concepts (golems) have been talked about for a while by the fan  base hoping for ...

14 hours ago, Bjarni St. said:

Anything but more infantry and war machines.

Hopefully something new soon.  Love my orcs and dwarves!  

Sky based Duardin would be interesting.  However, it would seem very odd for the Gyros to be in Ironweld if this was the case.  There are other factions with just 1 or 2 models currently and the Gyros could similarly already be in a Steamhead faction.

1 hour ago, Warboss Gorbolg said:

Sky based Duardin would be interesting.  However, it would seem very odd for the Gyros to be in Ironweld if this was the case.  There are other factions with just 1 or 2 models currently and the Gyros could similarly already be in a Steamhead faction.

Difficult to say. The current factions could be indicative of future plans or they could just be to tide us over. For example, I'd be stunned if all of the various elf factions see the light of day again. 

5 hours ago, MrCharisma said:

As much as I want to see more Dwarves and Halfling, I get the feeling Aelves are next... and anything that comes for the Dwarves she I imagine will be for the Ironweld. 

I am pretty sure I saw 'Shadowkin' as the next big release, however I cant remember where I saw it so I cant provide a link. 

I would love new dwarf models, especially after seeing the awesome Bloodbowl sculpts for the Dwarf team.

I'm not a fan of dwarfs but this is the best named thread on TGA so I clicked on it :)

I'd like to see a Duardin centrepiece of some kind.  Maybe an evolution of the Anvil of Doom.  Needs to be mobile tho - no one likes cornering! Blimp sounds awesome. 

TBH, I'm happy with whatever they release as long as I never hear 'Ten from the back...' ever again. 

Jimbo

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

I'm not a fan of dwarfs but this is the best named thread on TGA so I clicked on it :)

I'd like to see a Duardin centrepiece of some kind.  Maybe an evolution of the Anvil of Doom.  Needs to be mobile tho - no one likes cornering! Blimp sounds awesome. 

TBH, I'm happy with whatever they release as long as I never hear 'Ten from the back...' ever again. 

Jimbo

As a dwarf player during 8th, whenever someone ****** talked me before a game I just said to them "Youre gonna get 10 in the back" ;) 

Well I'll be shocked and stunned if this picture isn't for something Steamhead Duardin-
http://www.warhammer-community.com/2016/11/16/the-rumour-engine/

Speculation wise, I'm all for the long rumoured(admittedly by natfka who is less than reliable) Zeppelins,Golems and Jumpacks steampunk dwarf take on the Duardin. Production wise we'd be talking about 3 big plastic kits and a couple of clam packs so that seems plausible that give you a big centre piece model that everyone will buy, a solid monster/monstrous infantry kit, and a super duper infantry unit that people will need to be competitive. Throw in the Ironbreakers/drakes, gyrocopters and dwarf artillery units and you have a fairly well rounded force of a similar size to Sylvaneth or Ironjawz. One thing I'll be very interested to see is how mobile the force is and whether the Zeppelins will give them some kind of deployment shennanigans for air dropping units into the field.

On November 14, 2016 at 3:35 PM, Groomy said:

since things evolved in size and only the biggest survived, I'd like to see large dwarfs. Not giants but sentinels the size of a Minotaur or a rat ogre to counter all the big things running around the mortal realms now. It can be piloted or even better, made alive with runes since the duardin race is still replenishing itself and shorts lives.

I would be cool with smaller Steam Suits. Bigger isn't always better.

13 hours ago, hobgoblinclub said:

Saw that pic earlier (the site itself is great news!). The stylised dwarf face, along with the 'strong suit' clue, means its got to be duardin in power armour. I can't picture anything but plastic squats but we shall see. 

Looks like it'll be duardin before Tzeentch next year!

Hoping it's a much larger suit than it looks and we get full steam golem!

Archived