The warlords Gt and warhammer live tv

Minkster

Just thought I would get some views on the warlords gt and the coverage of warhammer live TVs on twitch. For me I was at warhammer world on Saturday and the atmosphere was electric and looked a good tournament and I'm loving the coverage on warhammer live tv on twitch hope they carry this on. So what is the views on here on what GW are doing with the tournament scene? 

Well I was lucky enough to watch 4 out of the 6 games and must admit that I was very impressed.  Considering this was not only the first time GW have streamed an event but also the first time they'd streamed anything, the whole process seemed to go really well.  I think presenting it in the same way as you'd commentate on a sports event (e.g. snooker, darts etc) worked and meant that anybody coming into the stream could follow what was happening pretty well.  The intervals with things like "Ask Duncan" were really good and interviewing the players added a real community feel to it - and made you feel like you were watching a real competition.  The video clips explaining the scenario were also fantastic - would love to see some like this for the main ruleset too.

Very interesting that none of the armies shown seemed massively beardy (there were one or two like it at the Seeds of Hope event) and had a good mixture of units.  If this is going to happen more frequently it does add another dynamic to painting too - making each unit distinctive enough that you can pick them out on a monitor :P

Yes there were a few technical glitches which I'm sure will be ironed out.  I also stopped reading the Twitch chat before I lost faith in humankind with some of the idiotic comments.  Not sure if it's normal for a full weekend tournament, but it did seem to be a pretty exhausting couple of days - not finishing until gone 7pm is pretty intense!

I checked out the twitch feed for the last game with Sedge vs Russ and really enjoyed it.  Commentary was well paced and varied.  The interviews were really good and helped break up content between games.

I am looking forward to more of the same in the future

I watched the entire weekend! With only a 30 minute break to get food (but I did switch to Audio Only and listened on my phone while I was food shopping). Coverage was amazing, the chat was good most the weekend, a few trolls that were easy to ignore with Twitch interface.

They've taken a lot of feedback and they will be back next time with a few more camera angles. Here's my feedback.

• A few more Camera angles
  • A dedicated dice cam/separate small table for dice rolling
  • Mic up the contestants and give the commentators access to (not live stream as I imagine lots of people swear) but it could help commentators guess at whats happening
  • Overlays, add a few with current score etc
  • Tablet and pen to allow them to better describe whats happening, like NFL coverage, circle units, draw arrows etc. Will help when they are trying to describe the location of units they want to talk about. ("that unit in the top right, next to the piece of scenery...the one with only 3 models left...." vs "This circled unit")
  • More Duncan....

Super impressed by the coverage though. After the feed was turned off I was sort of lost with what to do. I just wanted more!

First I have to give kudo's to GW and the team that worked on this. For a first attempt it was good. Like others have said, a table level camera angle especially to show the deployment and overlays of lists, scores, etc. would be welcome as well as the commentators have better feeds though they did a pretty good job of "guessing" what was happening. 

It was bit of a nerdgasm when the first match I see is Ben (Curry) and Ben (Johnson) having a go. The commentators had a lot of fun with the matchup ("Two Ben's enter one Ben leaves". "I am rooting for Ben", etc.) and it was nice watching that game as well as others between opponents that obviously knew the rules.  Turn priority is a b***h. 

Definitely would watch more streams. By the other posts and the Twitch comments, Duncan seemed to be the "rock star" with the commentators having to continually either put off or promote Duncan's appearances at various turns. The Duncan bot comments were funny as well, e.g. "Has everyone thinned their paints today?".  It was a pretty good mix of game coverage mixed in with hobby coverage, but I would have appreciated more shots and interviews about the construction and hobby aspects for the participants armies, and not just the top table players. 

I plan on going back and watch some of the coverage again. Hope GW does this again soon.

I thought the coverage was excellent. Clearly had creases that can be ironed, but for a first effort I was blown away.

Just to see GW engage with us all like that was great. To see them make such a great go of it, was fantastic.

The interviews, voice over explanations of battleplans, the Duncan fanatics, etc. It was a great weekend's viewing.

At one point I was in the garden with my phone in my pocket, just listening to the audio. It sounded at a 'glance' like mainstream sports commentary (praise indeed!) and made it all seem very...dunno...mainstream? Certainly felt like something was changing.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Great coverage, great commentators.

Just loved the moments that Duncan appeared, accompanied by the cacophony of praise from the live chat including: "Duncan!", "Our Lord of Layers!", "Duncan senpai!", "Don't forget to thin your paints", "How many layers is he wearing!?" .  ROFL.

I'll add my voice to the chorus of praise. It was a genuinely watchable broadcast easily as good as most sporting events and better by a huge margin than anything that happened to be on the TV at the time (here in Australia that meant primetime Saturday and Sunday night). Ten hours didn't seem like a long time watching it!

The thing that I took out of it, and that should be lauded the most, is that it captured the positive feel and hobby-building excitement of an event like this. It really showed Warhammer as we all experience it and not just the anti-GW trolling or misunderstanding of the hobby that often dominates the echo-chamber of our on-line community.

It's also wonderful to see the passion and personality of GW staff again.

GW proving that they are DunCANs not DunCAN'Ts.

12 hours ago, Ben said:

I'm trying to catch up on the feed.  Did anyone see my game vs @Ben Johnson

It was a real buzz playing on the feature table.  

Your game was great to watch. Really thought @Ben Johnson had lost it after the first round of shooting practically deleted the Concussors on the right flank, only to see his Fulminators cut through on the left hand side like a Power Sword through butter. A game that swung momentum often. Loved it.

Highlight for me was the first game. Seeing 30 Vulkite Berserkers take 1,200 point Khorne charge to the face, and only losing 6 models. It surprised the commentators and the entire Internet. Great times :) 

9 minutes ago, Bowlzee said:

Your game was great to watch. Really thought @Ben Johnson had lost it after the first round of shooting practically deleted the Concussors on the right flank, only to see his Fulminators cut through on the left hand side like a Power Sword through butter. A game that swung momentum often. Loved it.

Highlight for me was the first game. Seeing 30 Vulkite Berserkers take 1,200 point Khorne charge to the face, and only losing 6 models. It surprised the commentators and the entire Internet. Great times :) 

Yeah loved the @Ben and @Ben Johnson show. Brilliant game. 

Agree w/ @Bowlzee: That was my favorite moment too of the two days. Unbelievably cool. I had to immediately hop on ScrollBuilder to punch in the points it withstood.

Here's hoping the much-maligned Fyreslayers find themselves many more good homes after that showing. 

Yeah, seeing the first game was amazing with Kev's thin lines of Fireslayers looking doomed! I think my highlight was seeing the move from Sedge in game 4, which had his Arrerboys move 20"!!!! It was also nice to see him protecting his characters and taking out the cannons, so he was quite aware about the weaknesses in his list.

Game 2 was quite cool as well but I thought it was ace how you could hear @Ben Johnson laughing over Rob and Eddie! :D 

57 minutes ago, scrubyandwells said:

Yeah loved the @Ben and @Ben Johnson show. Brilliant game. 

Agree w/ @Bowlzee: That was my favorite moment too of the two days. Unbelievably cool. I had to immediately hop on ScrollBuilder to punch in the points it withstood.

Here's hoping the much-maligned Fyreslayers find themselves many more good homes after that showing. 

I have to say, I immediately looked at warscrolls and scrollbuilder and built a few theoretical lists after that Fryeslayers game :P 

Archived