Bigger bases question

Gitzdee

What do the rules say about using bigger bases than intended for a model? I could only find the pdf about bases from 2 years ago. 
I'm rebasing some fantasy models for aos and i am wondering if i could use the 75x42 bases instead of the usual 60x35 for big stabbas. I dont own any 60x35 bases yet so i cant compare the 2 at the moment. Would u use the bigger base? Thanks!

Edited by Iksdee

8 minutes ago, Iksdee said:

What do the rules say about using bigger bases than intended for a model? I could only find the pdf about bases from 2 years ago. 
I'm rebasing some fantasy models for aos and i am wondering if i could use the 75x42 bases instead of the usual 60x35 for big stabbas. I dont own any 60x35 bases yet so i cant compare the 2 at the moment. Would u use the bigger base? Thanks!

Officially there isn’t much telling you to not use a bigger base then intended.

yet attending at events or tournaments, your model might not be considered playable.

Should you just play for fun, I would just tell y

our opponent, before the game begins, that your using a model on a different base then recommended, what ever your reason may be  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SunStorm said:

I've used bigger bases than stuff comes with, for kitbashes, etc But I don't play tournaments or events so don't need to worry too much. 

In friendly games, as long as your opponent is aware of it, it should be fine. 

I think i'll be kitbashing some big stabbas, i dont really like the monopose model. Anyone has some nice ideas?

• Subscriber
13 minutes ago, Iksdee said:

I think i'll be kitbashing some big stabbas, i dont really like the monopose model. Anyone has some nice ideas?

Most of the Bonesplitterz are fairly limited in terms of poses. You could potentially look at their underworld warband to see if you could make something a bit more dynamic for them.

Just now, SunStorm said:

Most of the Bonesplitterz are fairly limited in terms of poses. You could potentially look at their underworld warband to see if you could make something a bit more dynamic for them.

I actually do like the underworld warband. Would be a waste to use them for bigstabbas :).

I’ve got some Screamers of Tzeentch on a larger base size than technically legal but at the time it was technically too small! (Base size got changed in an update to the base size document). Problem is, I think the official size is so small I think they would tip over. I think most of the time the cheese comes in when models are based on smaller bases. I don’t think many opponents would mind if I either used them as is or just treated them as if they were the right size. (I play casually, tournaments might be a different story).

I also converted Hrothgorn a little to make him into an Icebrow Hunter. I didn’t realise that he needed to be on a 50 mm until I finished painting him! I did rebase him but I would mind running him as Hrothgorn from time to time.

Edited by Greyshadow
  • Like 1

It's actually quite important what base size stuff is now, especially with the bizarrely finnicky coherency rules. Unfortunately there isn't much way around having stuff on the right bases if you want to play competitively, it isn't fair to your opponent otherwise. 

What you do in garagehammer is obviously up to the people you're playing with and likely isn't a big deal. But tournaments really do have to enforce the correct base sizes in order to create a fair competitive field. 

If they're undersized that's an easy fix though, you can buy some enlargers to use if necessary. It's when they're too big that there's not really any easy fix. If it's just one model it is generally easier to play around than if it's a whole squad - i.e. one character that should be on a 32mm but is on a 40, you can sorta work around, but it's hard to work around a whole squad that's on bases that are too large if it really matters that everything's done right. 

Edited by yukishiro1
  • Like 1

Would agree with the general consensus, if you're intending to use a unit at an organised event of some kind, you'll likely need to get dispensation/permission from the TO.  For friendlies most people won't have too many issues with going up a base size (within reason - nurgling on 160mm might raise an eyebrow).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'd say it really depends where you intend to play. If your goal is to play with friends and you're not that interested with competitive tournaments, better to talk with your friends. Usually, it's not a problem. Even playing at a GW's store occasionnally.

Small local events shouldn't also be that troublesome, as long as you talk about it with the people involved.

When it begins to be a question is when you intend to play a lot with different people you don't especially know. There, the need for more common ground on rules is better to avoid long arguments and misjudgments. If that's your mainn purpose, better to keep the official GW bases for the said units.

Otherwise, using a bigger base has an influence in game, though for single-model units, the impact isn't the same (coherency rules don't matter for them).

It's for 6+ model units that the question is especially more bothersome...usually for yourself, actually. Using a bigger base tend to be not that an advantage for you, in the end.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In my group's games we are quite forgiving and always keep in mind the budget of players. For example I purchased my Ogors second hand and it came with 10 fenrisian wolves which I use as frostsabers... I prefer the models and don't really have the time and money to rebase them all. However, if I were going to a tournament setting I would likely opt out of using them... but I would never mind if someone else were to use them in that setting. 

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 1

I faced a dragon on a 50 mm square last edition. 

it wasn't a tournament

Shrugs.  I'm an adult*; not an actual problem unless your opponent is being gamey about it.

*I know this comes across as trite and snide but,.. it's a game.  If you don't play tournaments rarely do issues come up when playing people you enjoy playing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Popisdead said:

Shrugs.  I'm an adult*; not an actual problem unless your opponent is being gamey about it.

*I know this comes across as trite and snide but,.. it's a game.  If you don't play tournaments rarely do issues come up when playing people you enjoy playing.

"Being an adult" is mainly about understanding context. In a game with a friend, getting too serious about base sizes probably breaks the social contract, and is inappropriate for that context. In a tournament, treating the game as a serious competition is absolutely expected, and that would include making sure that everything is on the correct base (but not to the extent of throwing a tantrum about it, obvs).

"It's a game" is the bit that makes it sound snide, IMO. Games can be just for fun (kick-arounds in the back yard) or they can be very serious (the Olympics) and there are many shades in between. Being an adult is a matter of understanding what level of seriousness is called for in context and acting appropriately - this is a skill that children lack.

Not having a go, just a thought that I wanted to get out of my head before moving on. :)

• Like 1

Going to go on a tangential rant for a moment since I personally hate having 25mm, 28mm and 32mm as different base sizes. I think they also do the silly 28.5mm bases too. I wish things were consolidated to 1 size, or we switched to blocks of models with a defined foot print instead of loose models bound by unit coherency.

Examples that pain me:

• My warcry warband can’t be used as Chaos Marauders
  • my DoK underworlds warband can’t be used as regular witch elves/sisters of silence/hag hero
  • the normal DoK models are top heavy and tip over all the time on their little 25mm bases

I think the current state is needlessly varied, and would prefer if unit attack efficiency was balanced around stats instead of the extra hidden variable of base size.

Alternatively, having blocks of models instead of individual models would speed up the game and be much more fun to model and paint I think.

Edited by Ggom
  • Like 2

On 9/5/2021 at 8:30 PM, Kadeton said:

"Being an adult" is mainly about understanding context. In a game with a friend, getting too serious about base sizes probably breaks the social contract, and is inappropriate for that context. In a tournament, treating the game as a serious competition is absolutely expected, and that would include making sure that everything is on the correct base (but not to the extent of throwing a tantrum about it, obvs).

"It's a game" is the bit that makes it sound snide, IMO. Games can be just for fun (kick-arounds in the back yard) or they can be very serious (the Olympics) and there are many shades in between. Being an adult is a matter of understanding what level of seriousness is called for in context and acting appropriately - this is a skill that children lack.

Not having a go, just a thought that I wanted to get out of my head before moving on. :)

Sure I agree with these points.   And they're all good and valid and I support them being expressed. 

In the past, I think 5th edition 40k a friend built a Space Wolf army with alternative models (at the time there was no Thunderwolf cavalry offering and even the wolves were from a 3rd ed campaign book?).

He based everything small, like wolves on 25 mm, thunderwolves on 40 mm.  Looking now after GW finally released the models it was pretty janky.  He also was the master of Rhino usage to block LoS and snake these models through.  We all kinda knew him as a player who played armies when broken and people called him on it all the time.  There were even photos of wolves on 40mm instead of the 25 he had done.

At the end of the day,.. it was a game, passing in time, we knew he was being a ****** and it didn't stop.  I still went home after gaming and woke up the next day and went to my job.   It annoyed me at the time and I look back and chuckle at how much a hypocrite the guy was but also lauded by the local manager as a gift from heaven for his gaming skill.  What are you going to do?  I told him "that's pretty gamey, explained why with some evidence I dug up and rational, even another local top tournament player made the comment what he was doing was pretty lame."  And I found other opponents.  

• Like 1