AoS3 - Lumineth Realm-lords Discussion

I play at 1000pt and this list is efficient without bringing too much negative play experience. You can build something balanced as long as you avoid the aformentionned unit spam.

- Army Faction: Lumineth Realm-lords

- Subfaction: Zaitrec

- Grand Strategy: Prized Sorcery

- Triumph: Indomitable

LEADERS

Vanari Lord Regent (155)

- General

- Command Traits: Fast Learner

- Artefacts of Power: Gift of Celennar

- Spells: Lambent Light, Overwhelming Heat, Speed of Hysh

The Light of Eltharion (250)

Scinari Cathallar (145)

- Artefacts of Power: Silver Wand

- Spells: Overwhelming Heat, Solar Flare, Speed of Hysh

BATTLELINE

10 x Vanari Auralan Sentinels (150)

10 x Vanari Auralan Wardens (145)

5 x Vanari Dawnriders (140)

CORE BATTALIONS

- Warlord

- Hunters of the Heartlands

TOTAL POINTS: 985/1000

Created with Warhammer Age of Sigmar: The App

• Like 2

As someone looking to maybe get into the army starting with the Battlebox, are there decent builds that are semi competitive *without* resorting to a million sentinels? I quite like the range as a whole and boiling it down to wardens and sentinels just feels disappointing to me when you have so many gorgeous models, like the spirits and Bladesworn etc

Thanks for the ideas. I'm looking at doing Iliatha or Zaitrec. I like Syar's fluff (Elves who actually learn to chill out and make use of their reputation for arrogance?) but I'd like to build up to warp-coke abuse.

I'm planning on starting with the stuff in the starter (picked that up during Corona) and the battleforce plus a Cathallar.

A couple of questions:

In general, when do I want to blob units? With Iliatha, I assume I generally want even numbers of units like Wardens, but with Zaitrec etc, are more wizards better or is the durability of a big squad preferable? (I'm not sure what the value of the trade-offs is. If it helps, I'm coming at this from 40k.)

Is there any reason not to make something battleline if you can? (Does battleline get anything special like 40k objective secured?)

Can you pile into and attack a unit you didn't charge? Like if I charge with Windchargers, pile in 6, can I end up away from the unit I charged in the first place and attacking something behind them?

Hey all - 

A question for folks, as I adjust my list since the points change.

Original list -

- Great Nation: Syar

LEADERS
Scinari Calligrave (115) *
- General
- Command Trait: Goading Arrogance
- Artefact: The Perfect Blade
- Lore of Hysh: Total Eclipse

Scinari Cathallar (145) *
- Lore of Hysh: Total Eclipse

Scinari Loreseeker (170)
- Lore of Hysh: Lambent Light

Archmage Teclis and Celennar, Spirit of Hysh (740) *

20 x Vanari Auralan Sentinels (300) *
- Lore of Hysh: Ethereal Blessing

20 x Vanari Auralan Wardens (290) *
- Lore of Hysh: Lambent Light

10 x Vanari Auralan Wardens (145) *
- Lore of Hysh: Speed of Hysh

Umbral Spellportal (70)

CORE BATTALIONS
*Battle Regiment

2 drops
1975 pts

So, as it stands, I need to find 15 points.

Option 1

Drop the Loreseeker (😭😭😭), and increase the 10-man Warden unit to 20. Takes me to a single drop, but I lose an easy Lambent Light on distant units T1, and an awesome figure.

Option 2

Drop the Calligrave (!) and promote the Cathallar. Then figure out an appropriate additional endless spell...

Option 3

Drop the Spellportal, replace it with something else? Heck, also reduce the 20 man Warden to 10, and go to 30 sentinels? Though, that idea reduces the defensive castling moves...

I suspect Option 1 is the right one, but I do like the Loreseeker...

His highlights include...

Tanking a 5-man Bloodknight unit for 3 turns, killing 7 of them, before finally going down...

Killing 3 yetis, then charging across the board to kill the Butcher in the backline, taking out a mornfang rider on the way

Holding against a giant for 4 turns(!), turns out he had his weetabix that morning...

Numerous cases of calling the rain on key units, and holding out longer than he should...

• LOVE IT! 1

Has anyone tried the Twins, more specifically as an ally in other armies? 285 is steep but they look like a decent hybrid unit; a two cast wizard that gets more dangerous and harder to pin down as the game goes on doesn't seem like a bad use of the points. 

Edited by Jaskier

• 2 weeks later...

Testing a nearly pure alarith list later any tips?

- Subfaction: Ymetrica
     - Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
LEADERS
Avalenor (395)
Alarith Stonemage (130)**
     - Spells: Voice of the Mountains
Alarith Stonemage (130)**
     - General
     - Command Traits: Almighty Blow
     - Artefacts of Power: Magmic Hammer
     - Spells: Crippling Vertigo
Hurakan Windmage (120)**
        - Spells: Transporting Vortex
Scinari Cathallar (145)**
     - Spells: Speed of Hysh
BATTLELINE
10 x Alarith Stoneguard (240)*
BEHEMOTH
1 x Alarith Spirit of the Mountain (355)
CORE BATTALIONS
 -  *Hunters of the Heartlands
 -  **Command Entourage
TOTAL POINTS: 1995/2000
Created with Warhammer Age of Sigmar: The App

Edited by Cullen rothery

On 8/10/2021 at 5:58 AM, Maogrim said:

Looks certainly fun and like a nightmare for slower, melee-based armies. But you might have a problem against shooting and Mortal wounds, but then again: who doesn't?

Keep in mind that Lyrior's lance won't get the additional shot since he's locked into Ymetrica and can't get the Helon keyword. Furthermore his spell is Greater Power of Hysh. You can't change it to Lambent Light, which also means that you don't have Lambent Light in your army except if you're willing to lose the Blessing on the Cathallar.

After a few months of testing and about 15 games with a tweaked version of this it's definitely got legs, lost 3 of the games (new nurgle mortal list with glottkin, eel heavy idoneth, and obr) 

The speed is key swapped lyrior for lord Regent and upgraded fox to sevireth, being able to assassinate artillery by jumping fox behind all the screens and then swarm with roos often ends up with entire army engaged by turn 2, and leaves opponents flustered trying to work out where to put command points, 

the problem comes against quick or tanky lists that are able to absorb hits you can still take a few off but you are unable to really take a hit back, so whilst you can get into the backlines and generally cause a nuisance if they absorb the initial charge then you will take a lot of hits back as a 5+ save is barely enough if you are against lists with alot of -1 rend attacks.  

current list composition is  

Spoiler

- Subfaction: Helon
     - Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
LEADERS
Sevireth (345)
Vanari Lord Regent (155)**
     - Spells: Lambent Light, artefact Metalith dust, command trait - skyrace grand champion 
Hurakan Windmage (120)**
     - Spells: Guiding flurries
Scinari Cathallar (145)**
     - Spells: Total Eclipse
BATTLELINE
10 x Hurukan wind chargers (310)*

OTHER

5 x Vanari Dawnriders (140)** 

- spells Solar flare

5 x Vanari Dawnriders

- Spells speed of hysh

CORE BATTALIONS
 -  *Hunters of the Heartlands
 -  *Warlord for 2nd artefact 
TOTAL POINTS: 1975/2000

Edited by Cullen rothery
  • Like 2

On 12/28/2021 at 10:45 PM, The Other Shrek said:

Thanks for the ideas. I'm looking at doing Iliatha or Zaitrec. I like Syar's fluff (Elves who actually learn to chill out and make use of their reputation for arrogance?) but I'd like to build up to warp-coke abuse.

I'm planning on starting with the stuff in the starter (picked that up during Corona) and the battleforce plus a Cathallar.

A couple of questions:

In general, when do I want to blob units? With Iliatha, I assume I generally want even numbers of units like Wardens, but with Zaitrec etc, are more wizards better or is the durability of a big squad preferable? (I'm not sure what the value of the trade-offs is. If it helps, I'm coming at this from 40k.)

Is there any reason not to make something battleline if you can? (Does battleline get anything special like 40k objective secured?)

Can you pile into and attack a unit you didn't charge? Like if I charge with Windchargers, pile in 6, can I end up away from the unit I charged in the first place and attacking something behind them?

not sure on the illiatha or zaitrec ideas as have not really delved into them yet.

Theres positives and negatives to having everything as battleline, if everything is battleline you have a better chance of scoring the hold the line grand strategy (but if zaitrec or syar you may be better off with prized sorcery), but everything as battle line also makes it much easier for your target to score broken ranks against you as it gives them alot more options to pick from.

on the wind chargers you can definately do this, one of the good things they have is the ability to, not have to finish a pile in at least as close to the closest unit, which means you can charge and slingshot onto a unit behind (great for avoiding screens), or charge and hop over a unit avoiding the combat altogether to make an attempt at an objective that's being screened off.

• Thanks 1

I started on my first unit of Wardens and I completely underestimated how long it was going to take to paint LRL to the standard I am aiming for.  

Just curious for those who have painted the units, how long do Sentinels take compared to Wardens?  I’d imagine they are slightly easier with less armor trim.  

absolutely love the models and aesthetics so I am buckling up for the ride.  I want to bring my LRL to Da Boyz this year so I’m hoping I can do this army in time.  

670EE274-CAC6-4FA7-BE03-025DBEFF8DF2.jpeg

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

4 hours ago, Rhetoric said:

I started on my first unit of Wardens and I completely underestimated how long it was going to take to paint LRL to the standard I am aiming for.  

Just curious for those who have painted the units, how long do Sentinels take compared to Wardens?  I’d imagine they are slightly easier with less armor trim.  

absolutely love the models and aesthetics so I am buckling up for the ride.  I want to bring my LRL to Da Boyz this year so I’m hoping I can do this army in time.  

Whoa, those are seriously amazing! The colour transitions are incredibly smooth! 😳

Have you already decided on a Great Nation? They look like Syar to me, but they could be whatever you want them to be, of course.

I have not done Sentinels yet, but let me tell you: if you have some Dawnriders, settle in for a long and winding road that will make you wish for the days when you thought that Wardens were a lot of work..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Rhetoric said:

great work! for me it was about the same although I actually enjoyed painting wardens more

On 1/26/2022 at 1:26 AM, Maogrim said:

Whoa, those are seriously amazing! The colour transitions are incredibly smooth! 😳

Have you already decided on a Great Nation? They look like Syar to me, but they could be whatever you want them to be, of course.

I have not done Sentinels yet, but let me tell you: if you have some Dawnriders, settle in for a long and winding road that will make you wish for the days when you thought that Wardens were a lot of work..

Thanks for the kind words!  The list I am building is Helon, but the great thing about LRL is there a few great sub factions, so I have a Syar list as well! 

I figured looking at the Dawnriders, so much trim. 

• Like 1

On 1/26/2022 at 1:49 AM, woolf said:

great work! for me it was about the same although I actually enjoyed painting wardens more

Thanks!  I do lo love the wardens, I’m just thinking about how they are the staple of the army and how much they are to finish up. 

Edited by Rhetoric

53 minutes ago, Howdyhedberg said:

Everything in this army took forever to paint for me! Or well, cathaller was probably the fastest. The blade lord's was pretty easy too! 

same! and still have a few dawnriders on sprue which I will paint.... probably.... heh... 😅

• Haha 2

On 1/29/2022 at 2:57 AM, Rhetoric said:

Thanks for the kind words!  The list I am building is Helon, but the great thing about LRL is there a few great sub factions, so I have a Syar list as well! 

I figured looking at the Dawnriders, so much trim. 

I don't really like Nation switching, since it kind of subtracts from the army's identity. But that's just my personal taste. I'm sure you'll have a great time with either Nation. :)

Would you mind posting future pictures in the 'Lumineth assemble' thread? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Howdyhedberg said:

I painted mine a little bit like Ymetrica, But I have played mostly Zaitrec. To me it doesn't matter what subfaction you play :)!

That's completely alright, of course. Mine are close to Ymetrica as well, just with turqoise instead of blue. But I was contemplating going Zaitrec as well before finally setlling with the scions of the mountain realm.

But what I meant was not whether it's cool to change the colour scheme (Of course it is!) but whether it's flavourful to flip-flop from one Nation to another every other week. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tizianolol said:

Guys if I teleport like 7 wardens not in shining company,  can I put them in shining company again?

Yes.

After a VANARI unit is set up, if the base of each model in the unit is touching the bases of 2 or more other models from the same unit, then that unit becomes a shining company.

Transporting Vortex has a casting value of 8. If successfully cast, pick 1 friendly LUMINETH REALM-LORDS unit wholly within 12" of the caster that is visible to them. Remove that unit from the battlefield and set it up again anywhere on the battlefield more than 9" from any enemy units. It cannot move in the next movement phase.

"Set up" is the key here.

Edited by martinwolf
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/2/2022 at 1:49 PM, martinwolf said:

Yes.

After a VANARI unit is set up, if the base of each model in the unit is touching the bases of 2 or more other models from the same unit, then that unit becomes a shining company.

Transporting Vortex has a casting value of 8. If successfully cast, pick 1 friendly LUMINETH REALM-LORDS unit wholly within 12" of the caster that is visible to them. Remove that unit from the battlefield and set it up again anywhere on the battlefield more than 9" from any enemy units. It cannot move in the next movement phase.

"Set up" is the key here.

FAQ says you can't reform Shining Company if I'm reading this correctly.

Q: If any models in a Vanari unit that is a shining company move away from the unit or are slain, and the unit is no longer a shining company as a result, can that unit reform as a shining company if its models once again touch the bases of 2 or more models in the unit?

A: No.