AoS3 - Lumineth Realm-lords Discussion

Welp, with the coming of 3e, it’s probably a good idea to take the initiative and make a new thread for us.

So, what’re y’all’s thoughts on how we’ll do in the new edition? Will there be any substantial changes? Heck, we haven’t had a faction focus article yet (even though they provide about as much insight as a toaster) so anything could be on the table.

Going to have to get creative! I'm trying to figure out how to fit Teclis into my lists and still be competitive. AOS2 list went up 250 points. I don't believe the point increase makes us irrelevant.

Looking forward to seeing/hear what others are thinking. I wonder what others perceive our new strength as. I keep thinking of lists that would include Gotrek or a Mega-gargant to throw in some more monsters and smash with some shooting behind.

I have been checking out 1000-point builds. My Teclis list got blowed up by the points change. At least that list won 100% of its games (just one game).

I think we will still have a good chance to be competitive since we have all those tools!

I wonder if ppl is most salty about Mr T or the Sentinels, or perhaps still the whole army...

Most definitely, there's been some exciting changes to the game! :)

I am by no means an expert in AoS, so I cannot foretell how the new rules will affect our list building. Overall, I believe that the new points and list building system are going to be healthy for all factions. Maybe we'll be able to shake off our NPE stigma. Myself, I'm finally going to try a non-Teclis Iliatha list. 

However, as of late, I have been getting fed up with the calculator to add up all the points any time I wanted to indulge in list building, so I built myself a very basic calculator tool in Excel based on the GHB points compilation by AoS Shorts, with a personal touch to reflect the restrictions on unit limits. I thought I'll leave it here, since it may be useful to some of y'all as well. Please keep in mind it was intended as a personal way of drafting LRL-only armies really quick, so it's a first version that doesn't include great nations, artifacts, batallions, or the possibility to include allies. Feel free to use and modify it to your liking!

Khaedhras' LRL builder v1.xlsx

Edited by Khaedhras
Messed up the word for Iliatha :/
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Khaedhras said:

Most definitely, there's been some exciting changes to the game! :)

I am by no means an expert in AoS, so I cannot foretell how the new rules will affect our list building. Overall, I believe that the new points and list building system are going to be healthy for all factions. Maybe we'll be able to shake off our NPE stigma. Myself, I'm finally going to try a non-Teclis Iliatha list. 

However, as of late, I have been getting fed up with the calculator to add up all the points any time I wanted to indulge in list building, so I built myself a very basic calculator tool in Excel based on the GHB points compilation by AoS Shorts, with a personal touch to reflect the restrictions on unit limits. I thought I'll leave it here, since it may be useful to some of y'all as well. Please keep in mind it was intended as a personal way of drafting LRL-only armies really quick, so it's a first version that doesn't include great nations, artifacts, batallions, or the possibility to include allies. Feel free to use and modify it to your liking!

Khaedhras' LRL builder v1.xlsx 13.59 kB · 5 downloads

Thanks for this.

• Like 1

My Ymetrica army is actually really enjoying the changes now that I’ve ironed out a few wrinkles.  I played Alarith centric lists since the first boxed set got released and was always thinking that if we could get a teleport spell everything would be solved.  The spell helped me do what I wanted to do, but everybody else’s reliance on the same Battalions throughout the game really made my army incompatible when compared to using the Auralan Legion or the two Aelementari temples, which were novelties really.  It just wasn’t quite fit for the game.  Now I feel like my smaller 5 man Alarith Squads might actually have teeth, especially with Avalenor nearby.  They’ll still get peppered with MW’s, and the new prevalence of them does have me worried, but I think the TAC approach has a lot of legs in AoS 3.  This is the list I’m currently planning:

Lyrior Uthralle

Avalenor

Stonemage

Windmage

4 x 5 Stoneguard

2 x 5 Dawnriders

2 x Starshard Ballistas

Twinstones of Hysh

Emerald Lifeswarm

I realize it’s light in scoring bodies but it has the ability to get around the table a bit.  I’ll have a pretty easy chance at 4 - 5 CP’s/command abilities a turn , especially if I stay in the Shrine with Stonemagey. The Windmage can take the teleport spell, which makes contesting anything with my 3+ almost unrendable Stoneguard.  They’re a lot better served with the coherency changes than most in smaller units and with being able to activate two units back to back.  They will perform the role of walling off objectives better than most armies while Lyrior will hopefully be around to keep Protection of Hysh up.  There’s almost enough shooting for me to be happy, I’d like to swap the Dawnriders for Windchargers but it would likely have me changing the rest of the list to suit.

I don’t think this is an all powerful army that will hang with Teclis and 40 Sentinels, but I do think that this list works ten times better in AoS3 than it did in 2nd edition, and I like that most of the themed lists that I’ve tried to make a bit competitive seem like they have a chance at least.  The 3 x Bladelord with Ellania  and Ellathor, Loreseeker, Teleporting Lord Regent and run/charge Dawnriders will also be something on the docket.

We have good overall speed to handle the new Battle Tactics, scoring 3 or 4 of these will be a big swing for some armies capable.  We still have some of the best infantry in the game, alongside arguably the best supporting magic; we just have to make it work a little more concisely rather than trying to do everything in the same turn.

Edited by Andalf
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Andalf said:

My Ymetrica army is actually really enjoying the changes now that I’ve ironed out a few wrinkles.  I played Alarith centric lists since the first boxed set got released and was always thinking that if we could get a teleport spell everything would be solved.  The spell helped me do what I wanted to do, but everybody else’s reliance on the same Battalions throughout the game really made my army incompatible when compared to using the Auralan Legion or the two Aelementari temples, which were novelties really.  It just wasn’t quite fit for the game.  Now I feel like my smaller 5 man Alarith Squads might actually have teeth, especially with Avalenor nearby.  They’ll still get peppered with MW’s, and the new prevalence of them does have me worried, but I think the TAC approach has a lot of legs in AoS 3.  This is the list I’m currently planning:

Lyrior Uthralle

Avalenor

Stonemage

Windmage

4 x 5 Stoneguard

2 x 5 Dawnriders

2 x Starshard Ballistas

Twinstones of Hysh

Emerald Lifeswarm

I realize it’s light in scoring bodies but it has the ability to get around the table a bit.  I’ll have a pretty easy chance at 4 - 5 CP’s/command abilities a turn , especially if I stay in the Shrine with Stonemagey. The Windmage can take the teleport spell, which makes contesting anything with my 3+ almost unrendable Stoneguard.  They’re a lot better served with the coherency changes than most in smaller units and with being able to activate two units back to back.  They will perform the role of walling off objectives better than most armies while Lyrior will hopefully be around to keep Protection of Hysh up.  There’s almost enough shooting for me to be happy, I’d like to swap the Dawnriders for Windchargers but it would likely have me changing the rest of the list to suit.

I don’t think this is an all powerful army that will hang with Teclis and 40 Sentinels, but I do think that this list works ten times better in AoS3 than it did in 2nd edition, and I like that most of the themed lists that I’ve tried to make a bit competitive seem like they have a chance at least.  The 3 x Bladelord with Ellania  and Ellathor, Loreseeker, Teleporting Lord Regent and run/charge Dawnriders will also be something on the docket.

We have good overall speed to handle the new Battle Tactics, scoring 3 or 4 of these will be a big swing for some armies capable.  We still have some of the best infantry in the game, alongside arguably the best supporting magic; we just have to make it work a little more concisely rather than trying to do everything in the same turn.

Build an Alarith-themed Ymetrica army and you get a like in my book. :)

I actually think Stoneguard with their Seneshals being able to hand out All Out Defence and the Stone Mage casting Mystic Shield would result in a really durable infantry block, provided the enemy doesn't have MW spam. 

Please let us know how it's working out. 

Spoiler

image.jpeg.118d7fc74896acf9426da0bfa7b2ac55.jpeg

I play a Ymetrica Alarith focused list (see spoiler for what I like to build from), and that isn't likely to change too much no matter how the rules shake out.  I am not as concerned about movement (I am used to slow armies) as I am the loss of the Alarith Temple Battalion (assuming my area sticks with Matched Play).  I feel without the re-roll, all that Rend immunity isn't going get me far enough holding ground well enough. I was liking the hammer (Spirits) and anvil (Stone Guard) style my army had.

I haven't had much  luck with the Dawnriders staying on the table very long. Which was fine.  They have worked well enough spread out my opponents forces.  Plus, someday I will play against chaff infantry and the Dawnriders will have their day.  My Sentinels seem to really only do minor chip damage. Which annoys my opponent, but usually doesn't shake them. I also don't if it will be wise to continue to have both Avalenor and the Spirit of the Mountain in the same list unless I just want to smash the enemy and lose the game on objectives.  I know monsters are better, but I don't think I have the bodies to hold out all game long.

I haven't yet added anything from wave 2 yet.  I think I might finally get around to making use of my 20 Wardens to get more bodies on the field. I might also have to consider more Wizards in general.  For a Lumineth player, I actually make use of very few spell casters.  My army is still going to be focused on Alarith, just maybe not laser focused like it was.  Or like I was planning by picking up another 10 Stone Guard. I think I will play a few more games with the stuff I like to see how it holds up for me first though.

• Like 2

So, I don't know if anyone here has the time and leisure at hand, but I for one would love if the more experienced and successful Aelven lords of light out there could walk us through where every Great Nation might stand in AOS 3. :)

And I mean a little more depth than just  "Ymetrica : No Alarith batallion = unplayable and bad. Been bad before also".

So something like a mini guide, advantages and disadvantages and which units to take. 

Played my first game of 3.0 with vs a Munificent Wanderers list using all of the GHB rules, figured I'd share some thoughts and interesting interactions.
My list was very similar to a 2.0 list I ran, now minus two ballista, with everything except the Dawnriders fitting into the 1-drop battalion:

Spoiler

Great Nation: Zaitrec

Teclis
Cathallar - General, Command Trait: Fast Learner
Loreseeker - Artifact: Gift of Celennar

3x10 Wardens
2x10 Sentinels
1x5 Dawnriders

Twinstones

His list was:

Spoiler

Great Unclean One
Sloppity Bilepiper
Spoilpox Scrivener
Verminlord Corruptor

30 Plaguebearers
20 Plaguebuerers
10 Plaguebearers

6 Plague Drones

My list was definitely stronger than his was, to say the least. We played Savage Gains from the GHB, and my opponent conceded in bottom of round 3 due to not believing he could catch up on points (I didn't agree, but it was certainly an uphill battle for him at that point). A few notes:

1. Prized Sorcery is, as expected, an auto take, and with my list meant he had to table me to score his Grand Strategy. I had only lost 6 Wardens by bottom of 3.
  2. The Loreseeker with the 4+ ward artifact is bonkers - I don't think he should be able to take this. He is surprisingly hard to kill, and being able to heal him with Calming Zephyr and Heroic Recovery is very frustrating for your opponent. However, my opponent gave away priority round 3 to remove the objective he was sitting on...that's one way to deal with him I guess. Which leads me to...
  3. Neither of us actually took priority when we won the roll. I knew that on this mission, with the loreseeker, I wanted to give away priority round 3 to remove the middle objective the loreseeker wasn't on, which meant that I also wanted to give away priority turn 2 since I didn't want to get doubled into 3 (though in retrospect, I could have probably set up a situation where this was worth it). Huge fan of this rule and I look forward to playing all the new missions with this in mind!
  4. The most interesting interaction is how Lumineth in general do with new rule on triggered effects (1.6.4) - I had not realized that this includes friendly AND enemy effects, so when his "One Last Gift" Command Trait procs mortals back on my 6s to hit while I proc mortal wounds on 6s (or 5s) to hit, I get to choose my trigger INSTEAD of his since I made the roll, RAW. This means that with all the defensive effects that proc on your opponents hit rolls, all the "mortals on 6" or "2 hits on 6" triggers get to completely ignore them - which, for lumineth, is most of the army. Finally...
  5. Dealing with coherency in units of 6 with large base sizes looks like such a pain. Getting plague drones in on my Loremaster was an exercise in frustration for him, and further convinced me the rule should be 2-6 models or go away altogether.

Happy to answer any questions any might have about the game. All in all, LOVE the new missions and battle tactics, meh on coherency rules. VERY much looking forward to playing more games out of the GHB.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, whispersofblood said:

It's hard to draw a lot of value from that battle as your opponent's list isn't very well tuned. Did you two suggest changes the Nurgle player could make to be more in line with the demands of AoS3?

Hard to draw conclusions about Lumineth's competitive ability, sure, but we both went into it knowing it was a casual game and were getting used to 3.0. As far as actually playing the new GHB missions and rules, it was a fun learning experience.

1 hour ago, GrimDork said:

It was in the FAQ, he can't take artefacts/command traits 😕

In the GHB 2021 pitched battle profiles, the Loreseeker is no longer "Unique" like he was in the 2.0 tome, so he can take artifacts and command traits now...thougth we'll see how long that lasts, because it also means you can bring more than one.

Worth noting that several other models that should clearly be unique aren't in the same document (like the new father/daughter witch hunter duo) so I wouldn't get too excited about the Loreseeker being able to take artefacts and command traits until the FAQ drops.

3 hours ago, chosen_of_khaine said:

In the GHB 2021 pitched battle profiles, the Loreseeker is no longer "Unique" like he was in the 2.0 tome, so he can take artifacts and command traits now...thougth we'll see how long that lasts, because it also means you can bring more than one.

Did not realise that. It’ll likely get FAQ’d again.

Otherwise it’d probably be some kind of record for a new release rule getting FAQ’d then overturned again in just a matter of months 😆

1 hour ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Do you guys expect blocks of 30 Sentinels to be big in AoS 3? Since Power of Hysh lasts until your next hero phase, the possibility to Unleash Hell and deal mortals on a 5+ with 29 shots definitely seems strong. Not a lot of things can just shrug off ~10 mortals in the charge phase.

Problem is that you will need to invest 1/4 of your army in one unit if you do that. So if your enemy have the opportunity the player will charge with a cheap unit first and then charge with a big hitter. 

Sure, you can screen with wardens but then you have sunk even more points into that trick and if the enemy can ignore the screen with flying/teleporting unit the screen will be of little help. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Do you guys expect blocks of 30 Sentinels to be big in AoS 3? Since Power of Hysh lasts until your next hero phase, the possibility to Unleash Hell and deal mortals on a 5+ with 29 shots definitely seems strong. Not a lot of things can just shrug off ~10 mortals in the charge phase.

Unfortunately I can’t see them going anywhere fast because of this.  On the brightside I can’t see more than one double reinforced squad now because it just takes too much from the rest of the list, and because of that I do believe all armies have a better chance of chaffing them, or straight up being able to take the hit.  

You can’t fit the old Auralan Legion with min wardens and max sentinels AND Teclis anymore at 2075 points so I think not getting Automatic Lambent Lights/Spellportals OR losing the Cathaller is a big enough shock to that build.

Edited by Andalf
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Boingrot Bouncer said:

Problem is that you will need to invest 1/4 of your army in one unit if you do that. So if your enemy have the opportunity the player will charge with a cheap unit first and then charge with a big hitter. 

Sure, you can screen with wardens but then you have sunk even more points into that trick and if the enemy can ignore the screen with flying/teleporting unit the screen will be of little help. 

I don't know if the point cost will turn out to be prohibitive, but I would generally consider spending a quarter of my army on "artillery" if the payoff was good enough. The question is whether that's the case for Sentinels.

I see what you are saying about an opponent just charging the Sentinel block with a big unit. Of course there is still some counterplay to consider, but it seems to me that compared to AoS 2, the ability to just Unleash Hell on that cheap unit is an upside. In AoS 2, an opponent could have done the same and just shut down the unit of Sentinels in question. Now at least the Sentinels themselves have the ability to punish chaff charges.

They won’t be as game-tilting at least; if everybody is on track to receive more Wards and Bodyguard rules.  When I got my Soulblight battle tome I was very happy with the amount of stuff I could include to protect my heroes in general, SCE look similar, can’t speak to the new Orruks.

The proliferation of hardcore-parkour players who quintuple-downed on Sentinels is going to leave a lot of folks at least sifting their collections to try and make it work.  I’m personally hoping to run into them myself because it might finally be my chance to ruin 60 sentinels day.

I still think it’s the Cathaller that’s likely to be the hardest things to play around in armies that take a lot of Vanari bodies.

Edited by Andalf

On 6/28/2021 at 2:22 AM, chosen_of_khaine said:

Played my first game of 3.0 with vs a Munificent Wanderers list using all of the GHB rules, figured I'd share some thoughts and interesting interactions.
My list was very similar to a 2.0 list I ran, now minus two ballista, with everything except the Dawnriders fitting into the 1-drop battalion:

Reveal hidden contents

Great Nation: Zaitrec

Teclis
Cathallar - General, Command Trait: Fast Learner
Loreseeker - Artifact: Gift of Celennar

3x10 Wardens
2x10 Sentinels
1x5 Dawnriders

Twinstones

His list was:

Reveal hidden contents

Great Unclean One
Sloppity Bilepiper
Spoilpox Scrivener
Verminlord Corruptor

30 Plaguebearers
20 Plaguebuerers
10 Plaguebearers

6 Plague Drones

My list was definitely stronger than his was, to say the least. We played Savage Gains from the GHB, and my opponent conceded in bottom of round 3 due to not believing he could catch up on points (I didn't agree, but it was certainly an uphill battle for him at that point). A few notes:

1. Prized Sorcery is, as expected, an auto take, and with my list meant he had to table me to score his Grand Strategy. I had only lost 6 Wardens by bottom of 3.
  2. The Loreseeker with the 4+ ward artifact is bonkers - I don't think he should be able to take this. He is surprisingly hard to kill, and being able to heal him with Calming Zephyr and Heroic Recovery is very frustrating for your opponent. However, my opponent gave away priority round 3 to remove the objective he was sitting on...that's one way to deal with him I guess. Which leads me to...
  3. Neither of us actually took priority when we won the roll. I knew that on this mission, with the loreseeker, I wanted to give away priority round 3 to remove the middle objective the loreseeker wasn't on, which meant that I also wanted to give away priority turn 2 since I didn't want to get doubled into 3 (though in retrospect, I could have probably set up a situation where this was worth it). Huge fan of this rule and I look forward to playing all the new missions with this in mind!
  4. The most interesting interaction is how Lumineth in general do with new rule on triggered effects (1.6.4) - I had not realized that this includes friendly AND enemy effects, so when his "One Last Gift" Command Trait procs mortals back on my 6s to hit while I proc mortal wounds on 6s (or 5s) to hit, I get to choose my trigger INSTEAD of his since I made the roll, RAW. This means that with all the defensive effects that proc on your opponents hit rolls, all the "mortals on 6" or "2 hits on 6" triggers get to completely ignore them - which, for lumineth, is most of the army. Finally...
  5. Dealing with coherency in units of 6 with large base sizes looks like such a pain. Getting plague drones in on my Loremaster was an exercise in frustration for him, and further convinced me the rule should be 2-6 models or go away altogether.

Happy to answer any questions any might have about the game. All in all, LOVE the new missions and battle tactics, meh on coherency rules. VERY much looking forward to playing more games out of the GHB.

So, did miscasts cause any casualties? 

I still haven't quite decided on a Great Nation but my favorites are Ymetrica and Zaitrec. Currenty I own Teclis, Eltharion, a Cathallar, a Loreseeker, a Stonemage, 10 Wardens, 10 Sentinels, 10 Stoneguard and 5 Dawnriders. Oh, and a Shrine Luminor. 

I really enjoyed my first AoS3 game. Liked almost all of the changes they've made. Miscast is not one of them. In our match I had 5 and my opponent one. I used 3 Aetherquartz for the re-rolls, 1 time the free re-roll from the Shrine, and 1 time my Windmage ate 2 MW. My opponent one was the most impactful though - he sadly re-rolled his casting roll into a miscast (playing Vykros) and put 2 MW on his VL, which gave me the opportunity in my next shooting phase to kill him, fulfilling the kill-the-Warlord Battle Tactic. 

I think the way its implement isn't good. Miscast for me are one of the few things which I don't like about the new edition. I understand that they want to make magic more difficult which is fine, I still hope they come up with a better idea on how to achieve that. 

138998940_IMG_86892.jpg.58e4db13d1348c73bfb51a12af102494.jpg

IMG_8705.jpg.1d68dd733089140107d7cb530cb71226.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/29/2021 at 10:59 PM, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I don't think so. Some will do this, but it's a big risk. If your opponent has a way to get them engaged in any form, you are in big trouble. PoH is also by no means guaranteed. It's really not, and I play Zaitrec with the Twinstones (which will be changed to have a much weaker effect it rumors are true). Especially in AoS 3. I couldn't get Twinstones out until T3 last game for example (I did cast Lambent Light though, and PoH on one unit of Sentinels).

I'm sure there will be still people running 30 or 40 Sentinels, but more likely split in units of 20 and 10. There will be some people who base their strategy around keeping one 30 block (or maybe even 2 x 20) of Sentinels guarded and try to win the game that way, but I don't think that will be the main way people will play LRL. 

I just can't see that being the overall strategy for most LRL players. In tournaments I don't know, might depend what the FAQ does to Iliatha. If they can use their double CA on all the new CA they might become a really strong option for tournament players based around Warden and Sentinels. 

But in general - judging from LRL Reddit, Discord etc., people have all kind of builds in mind. You can see this here too (if you look through the builds above). My main build has 2 x 10, and my alternative has zero. 

But hard to say right now, if it turns out that for some reason 30+ Sentinels are seen to be a "must take" in AoS 3, this could change again of course. Right now I wouldn't expect it to be the main build. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I played a 2k test game against my fiancée using a real hodge podge collection of Lumineth stuff.  I pulled out what I think is my meanest Stormcast stuff, and ran into Ellania and Ellathor in a bad way.

At 285 points they are steep, but you have to kill them with ranged mortals, or make sure you kill them in combat before they get to swing.  If you don’t fulfill either of these requirements they just don’t die... and then they go Nuclear.

For the first three turns they stood in Combat with a Tauralon, Gryphcharger and 10 Sequitors.  The Lord Arcanums had to leave to deal with a Loreseeker on my back objective and I wasn’t closing the warlord kill I was trying to get from the Twins at all so abandoned that idea.   They then proceeded to Finest Hour through the last of the Sequitors and teleport to an objective on Turn 5 that my Warlord Tauralon and 3 Evocators were sitting on fighting Lyrior Uthralle on his last 4 wounds.  They cut half of the wounds out of both units with their laser beam and finished the Tauralon, while Lyrior helped take the Evocators to one left and outnumber for the objective.

Im putting this here because I hear a lot about how they seem too expensive, but I have a really good feeling about them.  I’ve designed a couple Alumnia lists they’ll fit a lot better into, with Heroic Healing and all the CP Lumineth can generate they were always on a 2+/5+ and were a great spot for Protection of Hysh because they’ll likely outlive everything in their bubble before teleporting out, unless your opponent pours everything into them which Bladelords can really help with.

I had two questions though.  Can they really automatically come back to life on D6 if they die as long as they fight in the fight phase?  It’s sort of worded as such, but seems way too awesome, we laughed and said let’s have it work this way until the internet tells us it doesn’t; I’d still think they were extremely powerful without this (after rereading it like 7 times it doesn’t work this way, looks like they need to be alive to be removed from the table) Also, can I make them the general and get a free CP on 4+?  With Lyrior and a Calligrave in the Shrine I was able to push Commands without even thinking about it, even more might be too many!

Edited by Andalf
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Andalf said:

I had two questions though.  Can they really automatically come back to life on D6 if they die as long as they fight in the fight phase?  It’s sort of worded as such, but seems way too awesome, we laughed and said let’s have it work this way until the internet tells us it doesn’t; I’d still think they were extremely powerful without this (after rereading it like 7 times it doesn’t work this way, looks like they need to be alive to be removed from the table) Also, can I make them the general and get a free CP on 4+?  With Lyrior and a Calligrave in the Shrine I was able to push Commands without even thinking about it, even more might be too many!

#1 They don't come back to life, can't heal a dead model. Healing wound never bring model back except when it say so.
image.png.3005a155a559b7f4275716d3a9bb804e.png

#2 The last sentence of the Realm Wanderers ability said "However, this model can never be a general."

image.png.3c54fb7c46e199f19509afe7c4e4b197.png

Edited by Saodexan