AoS3 - Lumineth Realm-lords Discussion

My most frequent opponents are Stormcast, Maggotkin, Orruk Warclans (Ironjawz), Kharadron Overlords, Blades of Khorne, Sons of Behemat, with occasional Seraphon and Gloomspite showing up. We have no Death players. Nor am I facing Archaon or Morathi.

I take my wardens in units of 20, so they can at least fight back if they take a truly devastating charge. Their strike-back is usually enough to ensure the enemy's numbers are sufficiently reduced so that they can survive another round of combat.

Protection of Hysh is absolutely essential, and it's one of the reasons I play Zaitrec so often. If it's absolutely essential (and it usually is), I might use the Shrine's re-roll cast to get the spell off with a Lord Regent or Cathallar who is bunkered in one of the Warden blobs. 4+ isn't great, but between All Out Defense, Mystic Shield and Aethyrquartz, we can do a lot to make sure that you're rolling 3+ on -2 rend attacks.

You want to have Lifeswarm in the mix too. D3 Wardens returning per turn averages out to 20 over the course of a game (although this never happens).

Edited by Pyrescribe
  • Like 1

I’m working on my LRL list for next year.  The focus is Helon, not the busted fox force builds, I will be running Windchargers because I like them.  

what is the consensus on a unit of Stoneguard in Helon builds?  I’m thinking a teleporting anvil from the Windmage teleport spell.  Same number of wounds on a 4+ Save as Wardens.  But the stone guard are cheaper and ignore -1 rend.  Would be interesting the yeet them up the board to block movement etc.  are wardens just flat better in a Helon build? 

I guess it depends on what you expect the unit to do. Stoneguard can take more damage (although they are far better in Ymetrica) but they are also less mobile on their own and their damage potential is considerably lower since their hammers aren't made from sun metal. 

As far as I'm aware most people think that Stoneguard aren't wort it outside of their prefered Great Nation, but their are amazing models and you can certainly try.

Edited by Maogrim

Wardens do the majority of the Foot Work in my armies.

But, with a bunch of bad roles, charged units 'just die'.

I'm really looking hard for a hammer right now, and am torn betwen Gotrek (give him speed of hysh) or the massive Idoneth turtle.

Right now my 1500 is:
Sevireth
Lord Regent
2x 10 Wardens
1x 20 Sentinel
1x Wind Spirit
5x DawnRiders

Dawnriders though, don't get me started.  if they wern't occasianally useful for a flanking "Move, Apply Lambent Light the next turn, then die cloggind up a channel" manouver i'd drop them, but i'm not sure who could fill that role of super-long range casting.

All in, LRL are super fragile.   Get hit by heavy cavalry, win Heavy Caualties.

On 9/29/2021 at 2:48 PM, GrimDork said:

Speed of Hysh only works on LUMINETH REALM-LORDS 🙁

Well there goes that plan.  I guess Giant Turtle plan is GO.
(though backup teleporting giant turtle is not!)

Considering a Shrine + Loremaster for Forward casting.  I wonder how that well that'd work in practice. On paper it looks, hmm. Ok.

Edited by Iteken

Hi guys,

today in my LGS I somewhat fell in love with LRL. Well, I ´ve been liking the models for some months now but never had a deeper look at them.

So today I took the army builder and created that list that I almost bought:

Allegiance: Lumineth Realm Lords
- Great Nation: Ymetrica
- Grand Strategy:
- Triumphs:

Leaders
Avalenor, the Stoneheart King (415)
Vanari Lord Regent (155)
- General

Battleline
5 x Alarith Stoneguard (120)
- Stone Mallets
- Stone Mallets

Units
10 x Vanari Auralan Sentinels (150) (just for some shooting support, could also be a ballista)

Total: 960 / 1000
Reinforced Units: 0 / 2
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 50
Drops: 5

Do you think it´s a good list to start with the faction? I really don´t like the wardens nor the Dawnriders.

I could also live with a Helon list based on Windchargers, but I absolutely want to include one of those Stone Spirits.

Any ideas / advice?

9 hours ago, Hannibal said:

Hi guys,

today in my LGS I somewhat fell in love with LRL. Well, I ´ve been liking the models for some months now but never had a deeper look at them.

So today I took the army builder and created that list that I almost bought:

- Great Nation: Ymetrica
- Grand Strategy:
- Triumphs:

Leaders
Avalenor, the Stoneheart King (415)
Vanari Lord Regent (155)
- General

Battleline
- Stone Mallets
- Stone Mallets

Units
10 x Vanari Auralan Sentinels (150) (just for some shooting support, could also be a ballista)

Total: 960 / 1000
Reinforced Units: 0 / 2
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 50
Drops: 5

Do you think it´s a good list to start with the faction? I really don´t like the wardens nor the Dawnriders.

I could also live with a Helon list based on Windchargers, but I absolutely want to include one of those Stone Spirits.

Any ideas / advice?

Welcome, and happy to see that you are intrigued by the scions of the Mountain Realm, the honorable sons and daughters of Ymetrica! 

Well, if you want to get the most from Mountain Spirits, you'd maybe want to include a Stone Mage instead of the Lord Regent. Per 'Stone Mage Symbiosis' Mountain Spirits, including Avalenor, in 12' around the Mage may ignore wound penalties. 

Edit: But just one additional point to (re-)consider: Wardens are an integral part of most Lumineth lists. Not only can they pack quite the punch with Strength of Hysh, but they also make other Vanari units battleline. Ymetrica without Wardens limits itself to Movement 4 Stoneguard as only battleline, and the only modes of teleportation are Teclis or a Huracan Windmage. 

Edited by Maogrim

On 10/6/2021 at 4:43 AM, Sonnenspeer said:

Some people expect a Christmas battleforce box for Alarith LRL - so maybe it's worth to wait a little bit longer with your purchase :)

I hadn't heard about that...but I would welcome it. Just have Avalenor at the moment, would love some stongeguard, a stonemage, and another mountain spirit 😮

Im the same here. Waiting for Christmas to see that battleforce and maybe start collecting. The list Im thinking is not competitive but just to take the models I like:

- Grand Strategy:
- Triumphs:

Leaders
Sevireth, Lord of the Seventh Wind (345)
Scinari Loreseeker (170)
Ellania and Ellathor, Eclipsian Warsages (285)
Myari Lightcaller (240)

Battleline
10 x Vanari Auralan Wardens (145)
10 x Vanari Auralan Sentinels (150)
5 x Hurakan Windchargers (155)

Units
5 x Alarith Stoneguard (120)
- Stone Mallets

Total: 1610 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 0 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 74
Drops: 8

As I own idoneth, cities (every wood elf and high elf unit), and Sylvaneth (yes, I LOVE elfs) that list leaves the 390point to Ally with idoneth or wait to the other Spirit units to show.

Any thougts on that list? Too strange? I own myari band so for that I put them 

58 minutes ago, Hoseman said:

Im the same here. Waiting for Christmas to see that battleforce and maybe start collecting. The list Im thinking is not competitive but just to take the models I like:

- Grand Strategy:
- Triumphs:

Leaders
Sevireth, Lord of the Seventh Wind (345)
Scinari Loreseeker (170)
Ellania and Ellathor, Eclipsian Warsages (285)
Myari Lightcaller (240)

Battleline
10 x Vanari Auralan Wardens (145)
10 x Vanari Auralan Sentinels (150)
5 x Hurakan Windchargers (155)

Units
5 x Alarith Stoneguard (120)
- Stone Mallets

Total: 1610 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 0 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 74
Drops: 8

As I own idoneth, cities (every wood elf and high elf unit), and Sylvaneth (yes, I LOVE elfs) that list leaves the 390point to Ally with idoneth or wait to the other Spirit units to show.

Any thougts on that list? Too strange? I own myari band so for that I put them 

The list is a little strange in that it contains leaders from Nations that don't match yours, which is Helon I assume, since you list Windchargers as battleline. So the twins are from Iliatha and Myari and his bands are from Ymetrica. You can still use them of course, but they won't benefit from the Helon allegiance ability.

Additionally it appears a little fragile, with just 3 MSUs as battleline.

1 hour ago, Maogrim said:

The list is a little strange in that it contains leaders from Nations that don't match yours, which is Helon I assume, since you list Windchargers as battleline. So the twins are from Iliatha and Myari and his bands are from Ymetrica. You can still use them of course, but they won't benefit from the Helon allegiance ability.

Additionally it appears a little fragile, with just 3 MSUs as battleline.

The thing is that I wasnt thinking on a nation yet, just miniatures I like...

Maybe use swordmasters instead of stoneguard? 

So is supposed to use nation and their Spirit minis to be the most ok I guess. But for that I see too much spam for an elite army. I was thinking that you can pick wich u want and make your army with the Spirits u like. So we Will have like 5 mini armys...

So to collect maybe Will be:

Teclis, Spirit Hero, normal Hero. Wardens, sentinels, Spirit line. Repeat one or two lines... 

So to start maybe I Will take Teclis, loreseeker, elania and bladelords. Then wardens, sentinels and the wind Spirit cause I love that mini

Edited by Hoseman

2 hours ago, Hoseman said:

The thing is that I wasnt thinking on a nation yet, just miniatures I like...

Maybe use swordmasters instead of stoneguard? 

So is supposed to use nation and their Spirit minis to be the most ok I guess. But for that I see too much spam for an elite army. I was thinking that you can pick wich u want and make your army with the Spirits u like. So we Will have like 5 mini armys...

So to collect maybe Will be:

Teclis, Spirit Hero, normal Hero. Wardens, sentinels, Spirit line. Repeat one or two lines... 

So to start maybe I Will take Teclis, loreseeker, elania and bladelords. Then wardens, sentinels and the wind Spirit cause I love that mini

Supposedly there are Lumineth armies playing four Wind Spirits and doing quite well.

It all depends on what kind of environment you're looking to play in. Your list is legal, and if you are just looking for some friendly games with your mates the rule of cool is always fine. :)

The most typical competitive Lumineth armies are built around a core of multiple units of Wardens and Sentinels and often feature Teclis and virtually always a Scinari Cathallar. In these cases Syar or Zaitrec would be the Nations of choice. Sometimes Iliatha or Alumnia. But there are also Ymetrica or Helon armies that are doing well. 

Teclis plus the Twins, a Loreseeker and a Wind Spirit means that you don't have a lot of points left for bodies that can capture and hold objectives.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

It took me a while, but I think I finally managed to port my AoS2 list to AoS 3.  I could use some advice on Enhancement choice though.  It looks something like this:

++ **Pitched Battle GHB 2021** 2,000 (Order - Lumineth) [2,000pts] ++

+ Core Battalion +

Core Battalion: Warlord: Extra Enhancement: Triumphs

+ Leader +

Ellania and Ellathor [285pts]: 6. Protection of Hysh, Warlord - 2-4 Sub-Commanders

Hurakan Windmage [120pts]: 0. Waystone, 6. Transporting Vortex, Warlord - 2-4 Sub-Commanders

Scinari Loreseeker [170pts]: Flaming Weapon

Vanari Lord Regent [155pts]: 0. Burning Gaze, 5. Total Eclipse, General, Warlord - 1-2 Commanders

+ Battleline +

Vanari Auralan Sentinels [300pts]: 20 Vanari Auralan Sentinels, 3. Lambent Light, Reinforced, Warlord - 1-2 Troops

Vanari Auralan Wardens [290pts]: 1. Speed of Hysh, 20 Vanari Auralan Wardens, Reinforced, Warlord - 1-2 Troops

Vanari Auralan Wardens [145pts]: 10 Vanari Auralan Wardens, 4. Ethereal Blessing

Vanari Bladelords [130pts]: 5 Vanari Bladelords

Vanari Dawnriders [140pts]: 5 Vanari Dawnriders, 6. Protection of Hysh, Standard Bearer, Steedmaster

+ Other +

Vanari Dawnriders [140pts]: 5 Vanari Dawnriders, Standard Bearer, Steedmaster

+ Artillery +

Vanari Starshard Ballistas [125pts]

+ Scenery +

Shrine Luminor

+ Allegiance +

Allegiance
. Allegiance: Lumineth: Alumnia

+ Game Options +

Game Type: 2000 Points - Battlehost

Grand Strategy: Prized Sorcery

++ Total: [2,000pts] ++

Edited by Koradrel of Chrace
  • Like 1

On 10/25/2021 at 3:38 PM, Maogrim said:

So, according to The Honest Wargamer who analyzed data from 30 tournaments in AOS 3Ed, Lumineth are doing really well, with an average win rate of 60%. And what's even better: all the Nations are viable. Even Ymetrica wins 55% of its matches. :)

Just be careful with how you think about it. It would be more accurate to say LRL have done well, stats are always passed tense and not indicative of the future. 

You always have to be analysing why they did well, and then consider that when looking at what is coming into the game. 

I’m fairly new to AOS and I’ve played maybe half a dozen games. I’m working on a way to maximize uptime with protection of hysh and Teclis just isn’t in my budget right now. Instead I’m thinking of running a loreseeker along with the twins and alternate the deep thinker scinari battle trait to get an auto 9 every turn after the first. With that I have 20 wardens and 5 blademasters to be a pseudo ward for the scinari. Any thoughts? Does this seem viable? 

Had a spectacularly close game of AOS 3.0 This past weekend 2000 pts Lumineth vs Slaanesh.

On the Lumineth Side I ran Zaitrec, with a Lord Regent, Windmage and Loreseeker in an Entourage Battalion for an extra artefact (giving my Lord Regent an arcane tomb for an extra spell cast). Additionally, I ran 1x 20 block of Wardens, 1x 10 and 1x 5 man unit of Bladelords, 2x 10 man units of Sentinels and a 5 man unit of both Dawnriders and Windchargers. Finally, my list incorporated a Spirit of the Wind. Standing opposed to me was my friends Hedonites army including Synessa, a Lord of Pain, a Lord on Karkadrak, and a Contorted Epitome, supported by 2x 5 man units of Slickblade Seekers, 2x 5 man units of Hellstriders, and a 10 man unit of Twinsouls.

The mission was Apex Predators. My initial thoughts for the battle were pretty dreary, as Scoring of the three objective points can only be done by heroes, and compared to my opponent, I both had fewer and significantly less fighty/squishier heroes. My predication for the battle was that I could probably out damage my opponents list, but that as soon as he took an objective it would be nearly impossible for me to take it back from him.

All that being said, my strategy going into this game was to get my heroes onto objectives as quickly as possible to wrack up early points, and to delay my enemies heroes as well while trying to divide his army.
This plan mostly paid off. I was fortunate in that my opponent, winning deployment, choose to give me the first turn, hopping to let me move forward into charge range, and banking on an early double Turn to smash several of my key screens. Going first allowed my Lumineth army to get focus on the early objective game, running my lord regent and windmage onto one objective, screening them with running windchargers as well to hold the far left objective while snagging an early ferocious advance battle tactic. Unfortunately the only units who were eligible to run for that battle tactic were two of my heroes and the windchargers due to the rest of the army starting in shining company. This meant I couldn't get on all three objectives. To mitigate that, I moved my large block of wardens towards the middle of the board near the center objective to make it dangerous for my opponent to try and take it for himself. The last objective was taken by my Loreseeker deploying from his Lone agent special rule. My wind spirit moved up to charge and pin down his unit of Slickblades effectively shutting down movement towards the objective held by my Regent and Windmage, while my dawnraiders sortied out to help protect my exposed loreseeker.

The game would progress from this point moving back and forth, while I was able to score an early points lead. Turn 2 ended with me leading 10 to 3 points after holding 2 objectives and scoring my battle tactics, but turn three would see a rapid reversal.

The slaanesh player got the double turn heading into turn three, which allowed me to burn the center objective with seismic shift, further denying him that point, and cement a split of the battlefield into two distant halves. Thanks to the sacrifice of my Bladelords, and my Hurakan units pinning down his early game advance, I was able to effectively tie up half his army on one point, but all of that damage allowed him to bring on a summoned keeper of secrets. Eventually he took both points from me, my loreseeker and dawnriders were annihilated by a unit of seekers and my lord Regent died in heroic battle with his Lord on Karkadrak. I decided to sacrifice the Lord Regents half of my army to hold his faster units there while focusing my midfield units on retaking the far objective from his seekers, hellstriders and Synessa, but ended turn 3 failing to score any points.

By the end of turn 4 my focus on Synessa paid off as I was able to gain 1 VP from slaying It(a Monster) and pushing my opponent off that objective. However, I was unable to score that point as I failed to defeat Synessa in melee with a hero. This brought us to a close game 11 to 10 favoring Lumineth.

Turn 5 saw us both scramble to try and win, and we both had a great shot at it. If I could manage to hold my objective and run two units into his starting zone I could win the game 14 to 13. However, if he managed to slay my windmage with his unit of Seekers and a summoned chariot, He would win.

As it happened, the Slaanesh player failed to kill my windmage, but did manage to pin down one of my other units in melee, meaning the only way for me to score my battle tactic was to fly the windmage off of the objective and into his backfield.

In this manner, the game ended in a tie 13 to 13. A great showing for both Lumineth and Slaanesh.

Highlights for me, have to include both the Loreseeker and Windspirit making an ungodly number of 5+ ward saves keeping them alive and drawing my opponents focus. Further, the mobility of my windmage, and the charge and fall back shenanigans of my Wind Spirit definitely made both of them the MVPs for the game in my book. On the Slaanesh side, I am continually impressed by how great their summoning is, and Synessa's spell casting is seriously scary. Being able to force mortal wounds on heroes rolling dice equal to their move characteristic is painful against lumineth, as 14 dice, make that spell terrifying.

All told, it was a fantastically close game, and my favorite game of 3rd edition yet!

IMG_6653.jpg

IMG_6657.jpg

IMG_6668.jpg

IMG_6672.jpg

IMG_6677.jpg

IMG_6681.jpg

IMG_6682.jpg

IMG_6688.jpg

IMG_6689.jpg

IMG_6693.jpg

IMG_6700.jpg

IMG_6710.jpg

IMG_6714.jpg

IMG_6720.jpg

IMG_6725.jpg

IMG_6730.jpg

IMG_6745.jpg

Edited by Athrawes
  • Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 3

On 11/8/2021 at 3:44 AM, Athrawes said:
Had a spectacularly close game of AOS 3.0 This past weekend 2000 pts Lumineth vs Slaanesh.

On the Lumineth Side I ran Zaitrec, with a Lord Regent, Windmage and Loreseeker in an Entourage Battalion for an extra artefact (giving my Lord Regent an arcane tomb for an extra spell cast). Additionally, I ran 1x 20 block of Wardens, 1x 10 and 1x 5 man unit of Bladelords, 2x 10 man units of Sentinels and a 5 man unit of both Dawnriders and Windchargers. Finally, my list incorporated a Spirit of the Wind. Standing opposed to me was my friends Hedonites army including Synessa, a Lord of Pain, a Lord on Karkadrak, and a Contorted Epitome, supported by 2x 5 man units of Slickblade Seekers, 2x 5 man units of Hellstriders, and a 10 man unit of Twinsouls.

The mission was Apex Predators. My initial thoughts for the battle were pretty dreary, as Scoring of the three objective points can only be done by heroes, and compared to my opponent, I both had fewer and significantly less fighty/squishier heroes. My predication for the battle was that I could probably out damage my opponents list, but that as soon as he took an objective it would be nearly impossible for me to take it back from him.

All that being said, my strategy going into this game was to get my heroes onto objectives as quickly as possible to wrack up early points, and to delay my enemies heroes as well while trying to divide his army.
This plan mostly paid off. I was fortunate in that my opponent, winning deployment, choose to give me the first turn, hopping to let me move forward into charge range, and banking on an early double Turn to smash several of my key screens. Going first allowed my Lumineth army to get focus on the early objective game, running my lord regent and windmage onto one objective, screening them with running windchargers as well to hold the far left objective while snagging an early ferocious advance battle tactic. Unfortunately the only units who were eligible to run for that battle tactic were two of my heroes and the windchargers due to the rest of the army starting in shining company. This meant I couldn't get on all three objectives. To mitigate that, I moved my large block of wardens towards the middle of the board near the center objective to make it dangerous for my opponent to try and take it for himself. The last objective was taken by my Loreseeker deploying from his Lone agent special rule. My wind spirit moved up to charge and pin down his unit of Slickblades effectively shutting down movement towards the objective held by my Regent and Windmage, while my dawnraiders sortied out to help protect my exposed loreseeker.

The game would progress from this point moving back and forth, while I was able to score an early points lead. Turn 2 ended with me leading 10 to 3 points after holding 2 objectives and scoring my battle tactics, but turn three would see a rapid reversal.

The slaanesh player got the double turn heading into turn three, which allowed me to burn the center objective with seismic shift, further denying him that point, and cement a split of the battlefield into two distant halves. Thanks to the sacrifice of my Bladelords, and my Hurakan units pinning down his early game advance, I was able to effectively tie up half his army on one point, but all of that damage allowed him to bring on a summoned keeper of secrets. Eventually he took both points from me, my loreseeker and dawnriders were annihilated by a unit of seekers and my lord Regent died in heroic battle with his Lord on Karkadrak. I decided to sacrifice the Lord Regents half of my army to hold his faster units there while focusing my midfield units on retaking the far objective from his seekers, hellstriders and Synessa, but ended turn 3 failing to score any points.

By the end of turn 4 my focus on Synessa paid off as I was able to gain 1 VP from slaying It(a Monster) and pushing my opponent off that objective. However, I was unable to score that point as I failed to defeat Synessa in melee with a hero. This brought us to a close game 11 to 10 favoring Lumineth.

Turn 5 saw us both scramble to try and win, and we both had a great shot at it. If I could manage to hold my objective and run two units into his starting zone I could win the game 14 to 13. However, if he managed to slay my windmage with his unit of Seekers and a summoned chariot, He would win.

As it happened, the Slaanesh player failed to kill my windmage, but did manage to pin down one of my other units in melee, meaning the only way for me to score my battle tactic was to fly the windmage off of the objective and into his backfield.

In this manner, the game ended in a tie 13 to 13. A great showing for both Lumineth and Slaanesh.

Highlights for me, have to include both the Loreseeker and Windspirit making an ungodly number of 5+ ward saves keeping them alive and drawing my opponents focus. Further, the mobility of my windmage, and the charge and fall back shenanigans of my Wind Spirit definitely made both of them the MVPs for the game in my book. On the Slaanesh side, I am continually impressed by how great their summoning is, and Synessa's spell casting is seriously scary. Being able to force mortal wounds on heroes rolling dice equal to their move characteristic is painful against lumineth, as 14 dice, make that spell terrifying.

All told, it was a fantastically close game, and my favorite game of 3rd edition yet!

IMG_6653.jpg

IMG_6657.jpg

IMG_6668.jpg

IMG_6672.jpg

IMG_6677.jpg

IMG_6681.jpg

IMG_6682.jpg

IMG_6688.jpg

IMG_6689.jpg

IMG_6693.jpg

IMG_6700.jpg

IMG_6710.jpg

IMG_6714.jpg

IMG_6720.jpg

IMG_6725.jpg

IMG_6730.jpg

IMG_6745.jpg

Wow, amazing battle report with amazing-looking armies on an amazing-looking table! Tgsnks so much for sharing! ❤

Though a draw against the most disgusting enemy in Slaanesh is a little painful... Have you heard of the Archmage, by chance? I suppose he might have been able to give that Demon lady (think their pronoun is actually 'they', so Demon person?!) quite a hard time. 😉

What is everyone's opinion on Sentinels? I usually have AOS stuff on youtube in the background when I paint and I continually see people complain about them being broken (no LOS/30" range, 5+/6+ MW).  I am relatively new to AOS, but I find that when I don't field a lot of Sentinels, I get wrecked immediately.

Edited by SugarWaterPurple