AoS3 - Kruleboyz Discussion

Newtype_Zero

Hi All. Has anyone here leaned into the min units of Boltboyz as an army? I'd love to see how this type of list would feel on the battlefield. Obviously super squishy but you have the 20x Shootas and Hobgrots for chaff. Breaka-Boss with flaming weapons is there for counter punch.  I feel like with amulet gone, it just means that Ego-Maniak becomes more important on your main buff piece of the Snatchaboss. 

I'd probably run this as a 2 drop with double Battle Regiment. 

Allegiance: Kruleboyz
- Warclan: Big Yellers
- Grand Strategy:
- Triumphs:
LEADERS
Snatchaboss on Sludgeraker Beast (315)
- General
- Command Trait: Egomaniak
- Mount Trait: Weird 'Un
Swampcalla Shaman with Pot-grot (105)
Breaka-Boss on Mirebrute Troggoth (180)
- Artefact: Arcane Tome
- Universal Spell Lore: Flaming Weapon
UNITS
20 x Shootas (140)
9 x Man-skewer Boltboyz (360)
3 x Man-skewer Boltboyz (120)
10 x Hobgrot Slittaz (80)
ARTILLERY
Beast-skewer Killbow (130)
TOTAL: 1975/2000 WOUNDS: 125

Had an awesome game against Stormcast last night, took a two Mirebrute list like you guys suggested. Worked out great! I was running:

2 Mirebrutes, 1 had Arcane Tome, the other had the Fast'un trait

2 Swampcalla Shaman

1 Sludgeraker General, with the Egomaniak CT

20 GR

2 units of 6 Boltboyz

20 Shootas

Rippa's Snarlfangs

My opponent had this list:

Drakesworn Templar with Arcane Tome

Lord Imperatant

Bastian Carthalos

3 units of 5 Vindictors

2 Dragon Knights

1 unit of 6 Anihilators

He marched everything midfield, but didn't use his pregame move, I played safely, he dropped in the Anihilators 7" away from my left flank and rolled high enough to get past my Gutrippaz and into my boltboyz, killing two, but my overwatch kills two anihilators in exchange, the anihilators kill another two boltboyz and 9 Gutrippaz (even with -1 to wound on everything, and -1 to be hit on the Gutrippaz), before the Gutrippaz and Boltboyz spike the remaining 4 to death with mortal wounds. I auto pass bravery on both squads by using Inspired, and a command point. On my turn 1 I use At the Double to shoot the Gutrippaz 11" forward onto the middle objective he controlled, and double moved my fast'un Mirebrute the same, declaring that it was his birthday (finest hour). The 6man squad of Boltboyz snap off 7 damage to Bastian, and the other squad of 2 fails a rally and just moves up through some trees. The mirebrute runs in and over kills Bastian by like 20 damage, which is glorious. After that it was mostly downhill for the Stormcast, the dragons spend a turn eating the Troggboss, and the templar runs around trying to accomplish stuff, but he can't get into my other Boltboyz and can't kill my general who keeps passing wounds to a nearby swampcalla. We both make max points each turn, but me killing all his actual threats left him with nothing to keep going.

Overall, a super fun game, I could have played my positioning better on a couple places, and him forgetting the once per game move might have been really big. It continues the trend I've found of people losing their first game against Kruleboyz, then winning every subsequent time because they know all their tricks. Just wanted to say thanks to you guys for encouraging me to try the two Mirebrute lists, it worked like a dream!

Edited by Aztok
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, W1tchhunter said:

Sounds awesome, so having two troggs was fun then :P

I haven't played many games this month but I did finally get started on Da Big Un!

20211223_220948.jpg

20211223_220955.jpg

20211223_221000.jpg

20211223_221009.jpg

Nice, need to throw together some bits and green stuff for a rogue idol, but I'm going to use a spare Belcha banner for the face.

• Like 1

On 12/23/2021 at 5:29 PM, Warbossironteef said:

Has anyone here leaned into the min units of Boltboyz as an army?

Can be good but they are a bit lacking without shaman buff and proper screening. Their biggest issue is AoE damage since they want to bunch up around the sludgeraker. A single comets call can kill 1 boltboy in up to 6 units and force a bunch of BS tests that make the rest of the unit run. 

2 hours ago, umpac said:

Can be good but they are a bit lacking without shaman buff and proper screening. Their biggest issue is AoE damage since they want to bunch up around the sludgeraker. A single comets call can kill 1 boltboy in up to 6 units and force a bunch of BS tests that make the rest of the unit run. 

I wouldn’t say they are lacking without the shaman. Shaman on average only adds 3MW to a unit of 6 boltboyz. and adding 3 bolt boyz to a group adds 3MW on average so your virtually not hurting yourself in terms of MW output. Shaman just makes it easier to spike your damage. 

I have played several games without the shaman and nothing is really lost or feels out of place. Probably would if the shaman could cast a spell and give out its poison. So at the end of the day the only thing you lose is the unbind and maybe that once in every 25 games spell cast, but gain 105 points to put else where.

Edited by Sivyre

On 12/23/2021 at 1:29 PM, Warbossironteef said:

Hi All. Has anyone here leaned into the min units of Boltboyz as an army? I'd love to see how this type of list would feel on the battlefield. Obviously super squishy but you have the 20x Shootas and Hobgrots for chaff. Breaka-Boss with flaming weapons is there for counter punch.  I feel like with amulet gone, it just means that Ego-Maniak becomes more important on your main buff piece of the Snatchaboss. 

I'd probably run this as a 2 drop with double Battle Regiment. 

- Grand Strategy:
- Triumphs:
LEADERS
- General
Breaka-Boss on Mirebrute Troggoth (180)
- Artefact: Arcane Tome
- Universal Spell Lore: Flaming Weapon
UNITS
20 x Shootas (140)
ARTILLERY
Beast-skewer Killbow (130)
TOTAL: 1975/2000 WOUNDS: 125

Based on what @Sivyre said above, I wonder if a second Sludgeraker wouldn't be better in place of the second shaman. You would have to take something out as well to fit it (maybe the killbow and one boltboyz units?) and would make the list a 3 drop, but maybe the general increase in the damage and having a second Sludgeraker buff bubble to better spread your army in the field is worth it.

17 hours ago, Sivyre said:

I wouldn’t say they are lacking without the shaman. Shaman on average only adds 3MW to a unit of 6 boltboyz. and adding 3 bolt boyz to a group adds 3MW on average so your virtually not hurting yourself in terms of MW output. Shaman just makes it easier to spike your damage

Maybe lacking is the wrong word but they arent  working at full capacity. The shaman doubles the MW output without a sludgeraker and almost doubles it with one. I prefer units of 9, so thats an additional 6 extra MWs which is significant. If you get to UH its 12 extra MWs total (less likely with the recent changes but not irrelevant).

For 6 boltboyz it adds 4 MWs (12 shots means two 5s on avarage at dmg 2). If you add the normal dmg you probably come out ahead though.The main problem with multiple 3s is however not the damage but, as I mentioned, the weakness to AoE damage.

1 hour ago, umpac said:

Maybe lacking is the wrong word but they arent  working at full capacity. The shaman doubles the MW output without a sludgeraker and almost doubles it with one. I prefer units of 9, so thats an additional 6 extra MWs which is significant. If you get to UH its 12 extra MWs total (less likely with the recent changes but not irrelevant).

For 6 boltboyz it adds 4 MWs (12 shots means two 5s on avarage at dmg 2). If you add the normal dmg you probably come out ahead though.The main problem with multiple 3s is however not the damage but, as I mentioned, the weakness to AoE damage.

Agreed shamans average to dmg jumps when poison is applied to units of 9 to an average of 5 MW. This is when they are most efficient in terms of their points. 105 points adds more MW output than 120 points (3 boltboyz)

I think the issue with an army of nothing but bolt boyz is the staying power, I believe it would quite challenging to hold objectives and can only screen for so long before you’re in melee combat.

So, book‘s out for a bit now. 
Are you guys happy with how the krulest of bois perform so far? Who overperformed, who underperformed so far? Any new findings during playtesting?

I‘ll start with bolt boys hurt but die like flies.

Gutrippaz are… strange. It‘s like their perfect use slips through my fingers every time I almost got them figured out. Still like them, still too expensive.

mirebrute hurts more than I thought it would.

The Killaboss on foot (and sometimes on gnashtooth) overperform all in all.

Swampcallers can be a trap, but rock in the right dosis.

I despise LRL aka Sentinels the army.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Rachmani said:

Are you guys happy with how the krulest of bois perform so far? Who overperformed, who underperformed so far? Any new findings during playtesting?

Gutrippaz are… strange. It‘s like their perfect use slips through my fingers every time I almost got them figured out. Still like them, still too expensive.

I hate that boltboyz are the most obvious focus of army. Our sub factions are also terrible. And Gobsprakk is 10/10 garbage 😛 I used him at 300 points but even 280 I wouldn't think twice, he's a ****** wizard and an even ****** combatant 5up save, seriously.

That being said I think outside of tournaments were you're setting yourself up to lose if you don't take 18 boltboyz. There's is lots fun to be had playing with friends. I'm currently trying lots of different melee builds but just the 3 sets of 3 boltboyz (purely for battleline) and even a cheeky skitterstrand...

One of the best moments I've had was when I set up the sneaky traps against my friend, he moved his corpse cart next to some terrain and the C4 exploded dealing 6 mortals and just eviscerating the cart it was great.

The mirebrutes are amazing and super fun to use, the sludgerakers also hit like trucks. My favourite model in the range is the Gnashtoof by far I try and include him in all my lists.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Rachmani said:

I'm not particularly impressed with either of the finished 3.0 tomes we've seen. Kruleboy listbuilding in particular seems like a long series of traps, and one very disappointing correct build.

On 12/25/2021 at 8:08 PM, Rachmani said:

I like the general fell of how they play, but we have very little variety in list building. The venom encrusted weapons is what carry the army making us a hard hitter when the dices align, but we can't take too much punishment. We are a tempered glass cannon I would say.

The greatest problem in the book for me is the Gutrippaz as the only generic battleline and they costing 180 points. They aren't super bad, but they aren't worth 180 points. Their battleline tax constrains lists building and help make big yellers the better choice even if you aren't spamming boltboyz. Rules wise, our sub factions and our artefacts are the biggest offenders in our book.

Unit wise, other than Gutrippaz the underperformers for me are Gobsprakk, Murknob and the Sloggoth.

Gobsprakk is a wizard than want to bully other wizards, but has no bonus to cast/unbind. I really wished they made the Mandrakk a once per game ability, first unbind each turn if they fear it would be too oppressive would do the charm.

The murknob is another anti-magic tech, but his protection is unreliable as a 5+ dice roll and the armies you want this protection against generally have no trouble removing a 6 wound hero (seraphon, lumineth).

The sloggoth isn't exactly underperforming, its more that he don't fill a hole. Our damage come from our mortal wounds more than for normal attacks. Our good profile attacks are on our heroes, not on our troops. Maybe he is supposed to babysit a hero with egomaniak trait? Our maybe he was just designed to o in big wagg more than in a kruleboyz list.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Arzalyn said:

its more that he don't fill a hole

That's my only issue with the whole roster of Kruleboyz.

We have an small roster of miniatures that don't have any synergy or are just part of a wombo-combo to put some high mw-numbers (shaman/ sludgeraker). Nothing inbetween.

Being just 1/4 of an army doesn't help. We can't even play with one of our unique themes...

27 minutes ago, wolyhammer said:

With the update to Amulet of Destiny (tough for our Boyz but was something that needed to change), what is everyone's go to Enhancements now and what extra ones to you also take from the Warlord battalion?

I've started to wonder if a second mount trait is the way to go now.

Morks eye pebble and arcane tome with smelly’un are the enhancements/trait I use.

Before the change the arcane tome was substituted for the amulet.

I wonder if a Mega Gargant could find a home in Kruelboyz. Fun little interaction is that Mork's Eye Pebble is "friendly units" so it works on Bundo. He gives you a way to fight over objectives and a big distraction/counter-punch model. Like all lists this struggles with Bravery but it looks kind of interesting. 

LEADERS
- General
- Artefact: Mork's Eye Pebble
- Mount Trait: Fast 'Un
- Lore of the Swamp: Nasty Hex
Bundo Whalebiter (490)
- Allies
UNITS
20 x Hobgrot Slittaz (160)

1x Man-skewer Killabow - (130)
TOTAL: 2000/2000 

Edited by Warbossironteef
  • Like 1

On 12/27/2021 at 12:54 PM, Sivyre said:

Morks eye pebble and arcane tome with smelly’un are the enhancements/trait I use.

Yeah, Smelly'un is a good one to take. I want to try loud'un too, i do think our mount traits are better than the artifacts. May need to get the vulture to get more use out of them

On 12/27/2021 at 1:54 PM, Sivyre said:

Yeah, this. Depending on the units I also like fast‘un. In general I have to say that our mount traits aren’t half bad. Egomaniak + smelly‘un makes for a damn tough general.

And leaves the artifact slot open for something like Mork‘s Eye pebble.

P.S. I only miss the amulet when I field a killaboss on gnashtooth and the obligatory Sludgeraker.

Edited by Rachmani

On 12/29/2021 at 5:58 AM, NauticalSoup said:

@Warbossironteef I gotta ask, what is the rationale behind a reinforced unit of hobgoblins? I would think they would be strictly more effective in separate units since 20 screens about as well as 10, and dies at nearly the same speed.

I guess they keep the drops down slightly, if there's a Battle Regminent in there?  But yeah I'd personally run em in 10s

Edited by PlasticCraic