AoS3 - Kruleboyz Discussion

Newtype_Zero

3 hours ago, Qrow said:

Honestly, swampcalla buffing boltboyz is underrated. Once units have met in the middle of the field, boltboyz basically wreck anything

I tried to play a 1000 pts game and brought 6 boltboyz and a shaman. They are SO good together. The MW output came as a massive shock to my opponent

Edited by mrteige

42 minutes ago, mrteige said:

I tried to play a 1000 pts game and brought 6 boltboyz and a shaman. They are SO good together. The MW output came as a massive shock to my opponent

Yeah I just used 3 and a shaman, and I did 8 mortal wounds to a charging unit with Unleash Hell. I got lucky with the rolls but it was pretty filthy haha. 

• Like 4

Right now it's looking pretty mandatory since you want the spellcasting capability AND the warscroll abilities which are mutually exclusive (design mistake imo). Probably use the my ironjawz weirdboy as swampcalla #2, some other grot as the pot grot maybe just the killaboss' depending on what kind of general the lists end up with.

17 minutes ago, Maogrim said:

What do you Boyz reckon how important it'll be to have a second Swampcaller Shaman? 

I hate using the exact same Hero twice, and he doesn't seem to be easily convertable. 

I think it depends on what the Sludgeraker will do. If it's +1 MW on a unmodified 6 to hit, id probs still take the Calla, if its unmodified 5s do a MW, then I wouldn't take a second. 

4 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

Max you can get from 3 doing unleash hell is 6MWs. Hasty shot can only be used if you moved, you can't choose to do it standing still.

Don’t you still count as having moved if you’d moved in your turn before? If not then that’s good haha, I felt bad rolling so many. 

Since we are discussing the warscrolls, how much to you think the warscrolls we have now will change? At the bare minimum the Boltboyz need to include the unit commander entry and the Gutrippaz need to include the banner and musician. I doubt they will loose anything they have right now, but I wonder if our heroes can gain a command ability or something like that (looking at the Killaboss).

1 hour ago, Maogrim said:

What do you Boyz reckon how important it'll be to have a second Swampcaller Shaman? 

I hate using the exact same Hero twice, and he doesn't seem to be easily convertable. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the heroes normal kits end being slightly different from the ones in Dominion. The Killaboss on the Battlelome cover is using a blade, which isn't a option on the model we have. Other than that, we will probably get a underwolrds warband in the following season and it is possible we get a shaman sculpt in it.

Edited by Arzalyn
  • LOVE IT! 1

16 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

Max you can get from 3 doing unleash hell is 6MWs. Hasty shot can only be used if you moved, you can't choose to do it standing still.

Is this right?

From what I read, you can use Hasty Shoot if an enemy unit charge your boltboyz. It ends the charge less than 3" and then you can't use the aimed profile.

49 minutes ago, Beliman said:

Is this right?

From what I read, you can use Hasty Shoot if an enemy unit charge your boltboyz. It ends the charge less than 3" and then you can't use the aimed profile.

I did use it against a unit that charged another unit, ending within 9” of the Boltbotz. But I had moved them in my turn, so I thought that they still counted as having moved. But I think I may have been wrong and should’ve counted as standing still.

EDIT: Yep I was wrong. Going off the wording of their Aimed/Hasty Shot rule, I should’ve had to use Aimed Shot. It would’ve been valid though if they were charged and the enemy got within 3”, you’re right.

Edited by Tiberius501
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Tiberius501 said:

@Kantchill, the brown-red skin works surprisingly well, looks beast!

Thanks! I’m such a LotR nerd, but nobody plays MESBG at my club. When I saw the new faction I just HAD to paint them like Uruk-Hai.

I did change the colour of the shields/details to blue though, otherwise the red/brown was just to much. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Tiberius501 said:

I did use it against a unit that charged another unit, ending within 9” of the Boltbotz. But I had moved them in my turn, so I thought that they still counted as having moved. But I think I may have been wrong and should’ve counted as standing still.

EDIT: Yep I was wrong. Going off the wording of their Aimed/Hasty Shot rule, I should’ve had to use Aimed Shot. It would’ve been valid though if they were charged and the enemy got within 3”, you’re right.

I use a unit of 6 buffed by the Calla and I did unleash hell on a charging unit and dumped like 8MWs into them before resolving the rest of the damage, then the knives afterwards did a further 4 in melee. Manskewers are amazing when supported, you just have to ensure they go after targets they can excel at, support heroes. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beliman said:

Is this right?

Yep it's right haha, you have to move and it's in your turn, so unless someone charges in your turn (like say Ironjawz) then your forced into Aimed shots, which ain't bad, you just aren't vomiting 12 shots from 6 fishing for 5s for 2MWs a pop. 

2 hours ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

Yep it's right haha, you have to move and it's in your turn, so unless someone charges in your turn (like say Ironjawz) then your forced into Aimed shots, which ain't bad, you just aren't vomiting 12 shots from 6 fishing for 5s for 2MWs a pop. 

If an enemy unit charges successfully your Boltboyz, they will be in melee range (one model at 0.5" range at least). You can't use your Aimed Shot if they are within 3" of your boltboyz.

22 minutes ago, Beliman said:

If an enemy unit charges successfully your Boltboyz, they will be in melee range (one model at 0.5" range at least). You can't use your Aimed Shot if they are within 3" of your boltboyz.

Thats not what we are on about, you can't even use Unleash Hell if your Boltboyz are charged. We are on about using Hasty Shot, which cannot be used with Unleash Hell. 

15 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

Thats not what we are on about, you can't even use Unleash Hell if your Boltboyz are charged. We are on about using Hasty Shot, which cannot be used with Unleash Hell. 

I think that I'm missing something and I don't know what it is:

Boltboyz_Aim.jpg.c9e2c38ca93cc804ec610dc541c72f2e.jpg

So, If I want to use my Aimed Shot, my boyz must met both conditionals:

1. Don't move in the same turn that want to shot.
  2. Don't have any enemy within 3"

1851290507_UnleashHell.jpg.55285730a7d3238a968536b354d1af29.jpg

If an enemy unit charge my boltboyz, they are going to finish at least 0.5" from my unit. After they finish the charge, I can use Unleash Hell if I don't have any other unit (appart from the one that charged) within 3" of my Boyz.
So, they are within 3" of an enemy, my second conditional is not met and I can't use Aimed Shot, that's why I must use Hasty Shot.

Is that right? What I'am missing?

Edited by Beliman

13 minutes ago, Beliman said:

I think that I'm missing something and I don't know what it is:

Boltboyz_Aim.jpg.c9e2c38ca93cc804ec610dc541c72f2e.jpg

So, If I want to use my Aimed Shot, my boyz must met both conditionals:

1. Don't move in the same turn that want to shot.
  2. Don't have any enemy within 3"

1851290507_UnleashHell.jpg.55285730a7d3238a968536b354d1af29.jpg

If an enemy unit charge my boltboyz, they are going to finish at least 0.5" from my unit. After they finish the charge, I can use Unleash Hell if I don't have any other unit (appart from the one that charged) within 3" of my Boyz.
So, they are within 3" of an enemy, my second conditional is not met and I can't use Aimed Shot, that's why I must use Hasty Shot.

Is that right? What I'am missing?

Sorry I thought you meant when you use the Boltboyz to Unleash Hell for a unit that is getting charged within 9" of it. Your Boltboyz shouldn't really ever being getting charged, they should always be behind a screen. Having them in combat once (had 3 games this weekend), they fold to anything, they only have a 6+ save and whoever is charging them are trading upwards. I run mine behind a screen of Gutrippas always, zoning out deepstrike and movement. The only time I charged my Boltboyz was to use their Knives to MW away the last few wounds from a crucial unit late game. 

44 minutes ago, Acrozatarim said:

Picked up a second Swampcalla Shaman; it's the only thing I figure is worth doubling up on from the Dominion Kruleboy units with what we know thus far.

i would say that Boltboys and gutrippaz are worth doubling up on. I know they will get new kits but i still think you can use 20 and 6 because i suspect that i will need more of them anyway.