Time for Something New: In Need of an Aggressive Army

Hannibal

Hi all,

I still need to paint 2 models, then I´m done with all the Nurgle models I own. It´s time for something new then. And this time I want to have an aggressive army. An army that smashes its foes.

Which one would you advice? What do you think is THE aggressive army right now.

It doesn´t have to be the strongest army out there. I just want to go out and smash faces, something I really miss with my Nurgle Daemons.

• Like 2

Ironjaws! Smashing and bashing really rewards taking lots of fights, and they are fast enough to get there. Lots of options, all aggressive. No pesky ranged tools that might make you want to stand back. Nope. Its all krumpin!

Another idea-Gristlegore FEC. Gotta be charging to get the best out of it, and fewer bodies means defense or holding objectives is hard. 

Honestly, there are quite a few options out there though. 

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

Hollowmourne FEC. Ultra-fast and loves to double punch (check out the smashbat list). Blisterkin is another speedy option.

Or going vanilla with Feast Day delusion for even more double punching.

IDK eels list also gotta go fast and hard... But in terms of aggression I think FEC got them beat. For the King/Queen!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hannibal said:

What does it look like?

It is based around horrors/flayers (as battleline) with a Varghulf (the smashbat itself, using the Bilious Decanter) and various combinations of other characters.

This is but one of many variants https://thehonestwargamer.com/aos-list-rundowns/breakfast-battle-1-2021/ but the concept remains the same, get in fast, Hulk smash and never (well, unless you need to snag an objective) let up the pressure. Depending on your meta you might feel Flayers is a better base for your army in which cause you just make your general a Crypt Infernal instead.

• Like 1

It doesn't get much more aggressive than the Beastclaw Raiders! Take a Stonehorn-heavy list and smash your opponents' forces into paste.

They're incredibly fast, can put out genuinely shocking amounts of damage and a ton of mortal wounds, and are tough enough to go toe-to-toe with the game's heaviest hitters. Thoroughly recommended!

• Like 2

This won’t be terribly different from the above but having been playing a lot of smash ball lately in AoS think I would rank them as follows:

1) multi-Frostlord Boulderhead:  seen three on the table several times recently and I would be hard pressed to think of a more smash face approach.

2) double-cabbage & gore grunta Ironjawz: this is a close second but a lot more dependent on shenanigans.  Want a little more fun?  Throw in a Rogue Idol!

3) for surprise actually going Blisterskin FEC with loads of Flayers: what it lacks in first impact, with proper mustering, I’ve found it more than makes up for in its ability to keep dishing out turn after turn, round after round. There’s just something satisfying about landing a solid hit (or two with a second pile-in?), taking your opponent’s best shot but then mustering back most or all of the Flayers you just lost and doing it again...  And with great movement and no degradation, once it does wipe out its target, has zero problem heading off to its next victim or an objective.

4) if you don’t care about winning, just doing some damage while you’re there... then maybe try the multi-Bloodthirster approach.  Screen with Flesh Hounds or other meat shields to make sure Skarbrand gets in when he’s topped up and bring a couple of guys with those big axes dishing MWs to everything around them and you’ll certainly add some more skulls to the skull throne.  Sure you’ll donate your own models’ skulls as soon as your opponent hits back but you know what they say - Khorne Cares Not...

• Like 3

I'd agree the fastest simplest most aggressive army would be the 2 Frostlords on Stonehorns and 4 Stonehorn Beastriders.  Very little thinking and always a smash fest!  A Sons of Behemat army with 2 Gatebreakers and 1 Kraken Eater and a unit of 3 Mancrushers would be similar.

If you want to be civilized about it, I recommend the Hammerhalian Lancers in a Hammerhal Cities of Sigmar army!  They're actually really solid and aggressive, probably toss in a Hurricanum and Luminark.  Of course they won't score objectives like the Ogors or Gargants.

• Like 2

No one is even mentioning Khorne? All this army wants is to get into melee and for stuff to die to get those sweet Bloodtithe Points. But to be fair, the god of brutal melee combat is sadly not that deadly ATM. 

Another great choice would be Ogres! 

You could also go all in on Troggoths from the Gloomspite Gitz. Very cool aesthetic and Rockgut Trolls hit for 3 dmg a swing. Ouch!

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Thanks all for your replies!

It now comes down to (in no patricular order):

• Ogor Mawtribes (overall killyness, I´ve seen some batreps and this is THE definition of face smashing)
  • Orruk Warclans (more tricks / deeper toolbox and that awesome ROGUE IDOL)
  • Flesheater Courts (due to the advice here I had a glance on them, seem to be interesting – and that awesome looking spell Corpsemare Stampede which I´ve been a fan of since its release)

Flesheater Courts are rather cheap to get right now due to two excellent boxed sets, Ogor Mawtribes can also build from a Start Collecting boxed set.

Though I´m also thinking about

• Khorne => I already own a bunch of Khorgoraths because I really like the models, though they don´t seem to be that good
  • Varanguard centric army, either Knights of the Empty Throne or Host of the Everchosen led by Archaon himself.

All the obvious choices got named but personally I'd use the army that has the best models/lore for you and decide solely on that. Rules can always change, models and lore usually don't - and if they get updated, they'd look similar.

That said, I'd throw my hat for Ironjawz in the ring. As of yet, they don't have much else other than brutal combat and lots of speed going for them which makes them a highly aggressive force. Khorne is pillow-fisted at the moment from what I know. I also love the background of the FEC(too bad the basic troops sculpts aren't too great IMO) and the Daughters are a really cool-looking army. I'd advise against certain armies that have very aggressive builds but aren't all that outside of said builds - cause if those get changed, you'd be stuck with something that you didn't really want.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2021 at 1:57 PM, Hannibal said:

Thanks all for your replies!

It now comes down to (in no patricular order):

• Ogor Mawtribes (overall killyness, I´ve seen some batreps and this is THE definition of face smashing)
  • Orruk Warclans (more tricks / deeper toolbox and that awesome ROGUE IDOL)
  • Flesheater Courts (due to the advice here I had a glance on them, seem to be interesting – and that awesome looking spell Corpsemare Stampede which I´ve been a fan of since its release)

Flesheater Courts are rather cheap to get right now due to two excellent boxed sets, Ogor Mawtribes can also build from a Start Collecting boxed set.

Though I´m also thinking about

• Khorne => I already own a bunch of Khorgoraths because I really like the models, though they don´t seem to be that good
  • Varanguard centric army, either Knights of the Empty Throne or Host of the Everchosen led by Archaon himself.

Ironjawz are also stupid easy to build up - 2 SCBs, a Mawkrusha and a Weirdnob Shaman puts you at about 1600 points, higher if you take a Battalion.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’m personally a big destruction fan for smash lists 

BCR is an easy one to start and build with just start collecting boxes make a Eurlbad and extra frostlords. probably the most bang for your buck here 

Ironjawz again with start collecting boxes and a mawcrusher or 2 makes you a Gorefist, Ironfist or Ardfist bit more expensive because of the extra mawcrushers but more options available 

Troggherd is also low model count but probably the weakest of the 3 a couple of dankholds a hag and mix of rock gut and fellwater, better if you pick up the special white dwarf rules and batallion