Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

10 minutes ago, Aeonotakist said:

Saw the leaked of Teclis. He is almost impossible to fail in casting. He got auto cast dice on 12/10/10/10/10.

Which leak are you refering to ? Because in the leak of the WD, I didn' see 5 casts, neither a cast on 12...

23 minutes ago, Aeonotakist said:

Saw the leaked of Teclis. He is almost impossible to fail in casting. He got auto cast dice on 12/10/10/10/10.

Oh? Do tell. I would love to hear more about my boy teclis and his spell casting. I thought it was just four spells autocasting on 10’s.

also, can I just say how amazing the rune of petrifaction is again? Because unless your opponent unbinds it, when you cast you will have 3 chances to do D3 mortal wounds (1 at the start of your movement phase, 1 at the end of your movement phase,  1 during the start of your opponent’s movement phase) while also blocking around 12” of the board in a deadly aura. I have seen my opponents change their entire movement phase based on a chance that the gloomtide will do 1 mortal wound  to their units, I cannot imagine the brain games that this creates. I just want to know the range of this cast too... could you imagine setting up the spell portal just to toss this through in the middle of your opponent’s army?

So, this is the kind of thing I’m thinking of for my army, though obviously it’ll change depending on what tickles my fancy after properly reading through the book, and also the point costs of Battalions and the Endless Spells.

- Eltharion
- Stone Mage

- 10x Wardens
- 10x Wardens
- 10x Wardens
- 10x Sentinels
- 10x Sentinels

- Battle Cattle

-10x Hammer bros
-5x Horsies
-5x Horsies

The makeup of the unit sizes too may change depending on how things work in the book. Bigger units always look cooler to me, so I’ll see if I can, otherwise them as smaller units would still be cool. But this sort of army gives me old high elf feels.

Edited by Tiberius501
  • Like 1

In the recent white dwarf Jervis said that he pretty much took one of everything. That doesn’t suggest there is much more to come in the range, which is a bit of a bummer. I can’t shake the feeling the the range is a bit thin especially when it comes to heroes who can take artifacts. 

• Sad 4

Most of the newer armies are thin on options.

Ossiarchs, Flesheaters, Fyreslayers etc... they all suffer the same issues. And yet if you look at something like Genestealer Cults, a single second wave can really flesh out and round out an army and its diversity. Though personally AoS has so many in need of it at once I'd hope GW might focus on earlier armies first (earlier as in when they got their Battletome)

• Like 2

During lockdown, I'm buiding my Tzeentch miniatures. DoT has a so HUGE range of minis!!! wow!!  My first in this kind of army was LoN and the big range of minis and builds make me fall in love with this army back in the early LoN days... I also have lesser range armies (FEC & Ogors for example) and I must say, when you have under your finger so many different miniatures in a sole army of DoT, it is difficult to dive into something like the lumineth, especially when the biggest doesn't please to me.  Add to this that you can even widen the range of minis by adding some more StD minis (even in a pure DoT and AS DoT), this is an endless fun !

In addition to this, waiting for giant to add one, because while building the DoT I also added 2 daemons princes and 4 pawns: those minis left sooooooooooo many little bits to kitbash more evil things that I'm looking forward to personalize my upcoming (chaos) giant!

This is another difficult thing with the newest armies: they are relatively hermetic to adding some other miniatures, by rules, by look and by design. (ex: KO, ID, DoK...).

17 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

During lockdown, I'm buiding my Tzeentch miniatures. DoT has a so HUGE range of minis!!! wow!!  My first in this kind of army was LoN and the big range of minis and builds make me fall in love with this army back in the early LoN days... I also have lesser range armies (FEC & Ogors for example) and I must say, when you have under your finger so many different miniatures in a sole army of DoT, it is difficult to dive into something like the lumineth, especially when the biggest doesn't please to me.  Add to this that you can even widen the range of minis by adding some more StD minis (even in a pure DoT and AS DoT), this is an endless fun !

In addition to this, waiting for giant to add one, because while building the DoT I also added 2 daemons princes and 4 pawns: those minis left sooooooooooo many little bits to kitbash more evil things that I'm looking forward to personalize my upcoming (chaos) giant!

This is another difficult thing with the newest armies: they are relatively hermetic to adding some other miniatures, by rules, by look and by design. (ex: KO, ID, DoK...).

Well, you know Tzeentch has not only been around since the start of warhammer, but half of their model range is compatible with 40k, so that helps. They are also  probably one of the only armies that survived the transition to AoS really well, along with the LoN range. They both had extensive model ranges before AoS hit.

it is pretty obvious that when GW starts a new model faction it takes a while to get going. The Stormcasts only have a lot of models as a new faction because they are the poster boys, and GW likes throwing stuff on their poster boys despite the dubious popularity. I only hope the Lumineth are shoved down everyone's throat treated with the same poster boy love and care that  the stormcasts got.

• Haha 4

Well, look back the last 4 new armies (all with (too) few entries): If they had done only ONE less army, they could have add  2 multi kit to each new army, meaning probably 4 more entries per army. This is A LOT. And I would have prefered this solution whereas adding new armies for the sake of only adding things.

I think that with 24 armies now, AoS should add some new units to existing armies. But maybe, that's what is planed for AoS 3 and the rewrite of all battletomes... (look what they are doing for 40K & PA , especially with admech in the next few days...)

OK. Back to the topic. 

Edited by GeneralZero

There are so many people leaking stuff in Reddit & dakkadakka that it almost seems suspiciously orchestrated...

WKsjASe.jpg

jrO9CBq.jpg

I've never played Warcry & don't know even its most basic rules, so I cannot really make sense of the data whatsoever. But judging from the pictures, I still think that the seneschal and the steedmaster are the 'captains' of the dawnriders and stoneguard.

• Thanks 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

17 minutes ago, Khaedhras said:

There are so many people leaking stuff in Reddit & dakkadakka that it almost seems suspiciously orchestrated...

I don't think it's orchestrated so much as all the subscribers getting their copies this week

Still waiting on clear pics or a video of the full Lumineth batrep, the one guy who flips through it on YouTube so far skips it!

3 minutes ago, chosen_of_khaine said:

I don't think it's orchestrated so much as all the subscribers getting their copies this week

Oh no, I'm aware, I was only being a tin-foil conspirator as a joke. I'd also love to get a full view on that, but I think it's unlikely. There's probably a lot of copyright rules preventing it :/ 

Amore things from the White Dwarf article:

- someone wrote that Teclis can choose to cast 2 spells at auto 12, 3 at auto 11, or 4 at auto 10 per round, but not sure if that is true, because it was second hand knowledge.

- Great to see the alternative paint styles in the Warcry article 

- the blurry white thing in the picture that we thought is another new model, was a rock in the end.... . 🤪

Edited by LuminethMage

I have been thinking a lot about this release and i am really thorn appart.

For one side i quite like the lore and the stuff in the army box, specially Eltharion. Had the army followed his visual identity (on the helmet departament) i would enjoy it even more.

On the other hand the montain identity is not for me and GW botched Teclis model compared to his artwork imo. Maybe i got spoiled by the old line, where if you didnt like Eagles you could build on Phoenix or Dragons or lions. On the current state of Lumineth afairs, you got horns and that is kinda it.

I was thinking about all the modifications i would have to do to make this work and it seens like so much!

Something that could make me get out of the fence would be understading the very nature of this release. There is so many things that we still dont know for sure, like "Is this all the models"? Is this army coming out in waves? Will Tyrion be a part of it? Phoenix Temple is an ally or part of the army?

While we can make educated guesses about those questions, the truth is that we STILL dont know the answers for sure.  If Tyrion and/or a second Wave is on the way, it will be waaays off.

Right now i have been feeling out of place in AoS. I waited for a High Elf book since release. Models were squatted and Lumineth came with mixed feelings about it. What now? Start over the cycle and hope they get Tyrion right?  (If GW have plans for Tyrion in the near future. While we can guess, we dont actually know that. Maybe they decide to keep him out of the game like Sigmar and have just Teclis running the show).

Edited by Thiagoma
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

4 hours ago, chosen_of_khaine said:

Still waiting on clear pics or a video of the full Lumineth batrep, the one guy who flips through it on YouTube so far skips it!

My guess would be Lumineth win ;) even with a list that’s 3/4 characters in points, 35 models and I’m guessing around 90 wounds. Which isn’t a list composition for winning sigmar in general. Still I think it will be a fun read just to fuel more partial knowledge. Interestingly the points were not what I was expecting. I was thinking they would be around 160-180 for 10 and come with 2 wounds (like Fyreslayers being magically empowered). However at 120 and 140 for 10 that’s Deepkin infantry points so I assume good attack profiles 1w and fairly flimsy maybe 4+ for spears 5+ for bows. 

Infantry spam maybe a thing thing takes me back to when I used to play mass spearmen fighting in 3 ranks and bows shooting in 2 ranks. 

2 hours ago, Thiagoma said:

For one side i quite like the lore and the stuff in the army box, specially Eltharion. Had the army followed his visual identity (on the helmet departament) i would enjoy it even more.

On the other hand the montain identity is not for me and GW botched Teclis model compared to his artwork imo. Maybe i got spoiled by the old line, where if you didnt like Eagles you could build on Phoenix or Dragons or lions. On the current state of Lumineth afairs, you got horns and that is kinda it.

I was thinking about all the modifications i would have to do to make this work and it seens like so much!

Something that could make me get out of the fence would be understading the very nature of this release. There is so many things that we still dont know for sure, like "Is this all the models"? Is this army coming out in waves? Will Tyrion be a part of it? Phoenix Temple is an ally or part of the army?

While we can make educated guesses about those questions, the truth is that we STILL dont know the answers for sure.  If Tyrion and/or a second Wave is on the way, it will be waaays off.

Right now i have been feeling out of place in AoS. I waited for a High Elf book since release. Models were squatted and Lumineth came with mixed feelings about it. What now? Start over the cycle and hope they get Tyrion right?  (If GW have plans for Tyrion in the near future. While we can guess, we dont actually know that. Maybe they decide to keep him out of the game like Sigmar and have just Teclis running the show).

WH Weekly Tom claims he has a source inside GW that said they haven't even started working on a Tyrion's army concept so don't hold your breath for a Lumineth expansion in the next couple years.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Thiagoma said:

Probably the best thing for you right now is to wait until you see the real models, also with different painting styles, and then judge if you still dislike Teclis and the Alarith faction. As that is your major problem. That would also solve your problem with the Phoenix Temple issue, we'll know by then if they can ally or not. Same thing with your question about if is this is the full model range or not (99% yes). The BT release shouldn't take that much longer (within a month). 

Tyrion is definitely part of the Lumineth, that's clear. But if we'll ever see him - who knows? There is so much they have left out even for the Teclis part, they could fill 3 "chambers" easily with only that. And it's not like the Lumineth are the only faction with room to explore. Waiting for that possibility seems a bit pointless (and you might not like his model either ... ). We might just see another of the Telcian or Tyrion Nation's flavor with Warcry band sometime in the future. 

We knew that at some point there will be a new High Elf, but now that they are out and you don't like them, it seems a bit pointless to wait for a second release. EXCEPT maybe for a few more weeks, and hope that it'll be something like the Sisters of Battle, and they'll tease more is coming relatively soon.  

It's sad that you really don't like the Alarith so much. 

Otherwise use the Lumineth models you like as stand-in's for a CoS army? Then you get the full range of bonuses with the Phoenix Temple units, and also can incorporate other things you seem to really like, such as dragons and griffons. 

• Like 3

Continuing my odyssey to sculpt a wind spirit for my eventual Lumineth, I have been working on what will serve as the creatures base.

The primary reason I choose the Kirin/Qilin as the basis for my Aelven Wind Spirit was the Buddhist description of them, being so gentle that they refused to step on living things, including grass. This is why many depictions of them historically, show them galloping on clouds, giving them the colloquial nickname of "windsteed."

mdJ2VHV.jpg

xScJ2pS.jpg

The mountain is basically done, inspired the GW studio terrain features that accompany the Lumineth in Videos, and the Alarith Mountain spirit. I Think I will eventually add a few of the Bonsai trees to the rock fixture supporting the Spirit.
I'm testing out a bunch of different things on the Clouds as they are slowly being built up layer by layer. As I find sculpting tricks that work better, I keep going back and smoothing/altering them. But I think it is in a state that shows the general theme of the Wind spirit and how it will rest when finished.
The base size is also a placeholder as this will most likely sit on a 100mm circle base to use in place of the Generic Mountain spirit.

I'm loving every step of the this creatures creation and can't wait to begin working on a Lumineth rider.

Edited by Athrawes
  • Like 9
  • LOVE IT! 1

I think at this stage the whole initial range has been revealed barring potentially a terrain piece.

They may follow the gloomspite model and have another character in a boxed game a couple of months after release but that would be it I think.

It is an odd release and the hype that it was initially provided with hasn't matched the reveal.  I am surprised that there isn't a couple of more things or any more extensive use of dual kits.  Especially given the relatively low number compared to recent new army releases.  Also find it odd that they went with the Mountain initially rather than something more traditionally 'elfy'. 

Looking forward to the fluff, I hope to see a bit more of Teclis interaction with both Malerian and the Idoneth (both of which I prefer to the Lummineth).  Curious to see how the Idoneth and Lummineth interact given their history as No 1 and No 2 child. 

Me and my friend are quite keen on playing out a civil war between the Idoneth and Lumineth. Like the dark and twisted brother destined to live in the deep and be shunned, while the “pure” younger brother acts as they should’ve been and seen as a hero. 

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

@Marius au

I agree, GW took as risk by focusing so much on the mountain faction, especially with the predominance of bull imaginary. And I'm surprised that the didn't include one more elemental factions with a  imagery more similar to Warhammer Fantasy. 

But, you can argue that mountains are very much traditionally High Elf-y. If you look at the High Elves of Warhammer Fantasy - a big part of their lore had to do with mountains: The Gates, the dragons, griffons, eagles, the White Lions, Tor Yvresse etc. If you go beyond Warhammer, High Elves often have associations with mountains: LOTR, Rivendell and Gondolin. D&D, Forgotten Realms Everska, Greyhawk's High Elves and so on. High Elves living in some kind of mountain nation/city is one of the most common tropes. Next to an island. 

I also hope we get to know more about relationship between Idoneth and Lumineth, as well as Lumineth and Malerion. I doubt though we'll hear much about the latter. Seems Teclis is talking more to Morathi who so far is the more active part of the Ulgu duo. 

• Like 4