Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

9 hours ago, LuminethMage said:

Also finally finished my 5 Dawnriders. Teclis be praised. The other 10 I have will have to wait for a while. 

2522DE36-E2A2-44B7-8FC2-531272F3DC18.jpeg

Those look really cool! 😎  and I’m totally in the same boat. I’ll finish 5..... then take a long break. They look great, but the gaps!  The Gaps! in the front armor/gem spot on the horses! And even the face to helmets!! are a real pain.... never thought I’d have to use milliput/green stuff on every model.😧🤬 

• Thanks 1

I know it was talked about before but I am pleasantly surprised by the Realm lords novel. I feel like it expands a lot on the Aralith Mythos, and expands on their ideology, thoughts and fighting style. I also  liked the action quite a bit, but I feel the author’s description of the warden fighting with a pike is hard to visualize. I liked all the characters too, and the main character is quite fun to travel along with.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Acid_Nine said:

I know it was talked about before but I am pleasantly surprised by the Realm lords novel. I feel like it expands a lot on the Aralith Mythos, and expands on their ideology, thoughts and fighting style. I also  liked the action quite a bit, but I feel the author’s description of the warden fighting with a pike is hard to visualize. I liked all the characters too, and the main character is quite fun to travel along with.

That is nice to hear because I have the book and plan to read it soon! 🙂 

6 hours ago, Acid_Nine said:

Interesting. I thought it was really bad and a slog to get through.

Spoiler:

It’s basically the same scene repeated over and over again. They get into some trouble and look like they’re all going to die, then they call on the mountain, and then the battle tips in their favor and they win. This same scene repeats itself at least 5 times.

I was really excited for this book as I had previously read The Sundering. They are miles apart in terms of quality in my opinion.

Different strokes I supposed, so glad you enjoyed it!

Edited by Gobboz
Added spoiler indicator

On 9/27/2020 at 8:32 PM, Wyliekyote said:

Notice you're using the MiniMag Trays.  I've been looking at them, but never having used them, wondering how useful they are

On 9/27/2020 at 8:40 PM, ThalmorRepresentative said:

I'm loving the minimagtrays... if the table is using a mat lol. If it's a textured table, better off not using them as they become a nightmare to shift around and move.

FYI Everyone,  Mini Mag just added rank bases specifically for shining company. Cavalry Clouds too for Dawn Riders.

They come in BTB single ranks of 3-7 wide and the ranks fit together to make any depth you wish in shining company 

I reached out to them with some specs to make some for us, and he showed me the designs when complete, really cool that they are so responsive to the community.

Although I would have preferred some ready built double ranks to build with the singles, these are more flexible and can build any configuration except 10 wide. For those you could combine any of the smaller trays like 3,7 or 5,5.

You can find them under the 32 mm straight close entries for infantry.

Are we allowed to post links to the site? I was just involved in early design process and am not making any money from it. 

Edited by Prince Tûrion Rilyalöce
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

15 hours ago, Gobboz said:

Interesting. I thought it was really bad and a slog to get through.

Spoiler:

Hide contents

It’s basically the same scene repeated over and over again. They get into some trouble and look like they’re all going to die, then they call on the mountain, and then the battle tips in their favor and they win. This same scene repeats itself at least 5 times.

I was really excited for this book as I had previously read The Sundering. They are miles apart in terms of quality in my opinion.

Different strokes I supposed, so glad you enjoyed it!

Yea, I admit that the flow of combat can be repetitive, especially as he gets his upgrade later in the book. I do like the moment to moment descriptions though, but now that you mention it the flow can be a problem with that. 

still, I am liking the book so far and getting towards the end, which I am finding fairly interesting. I am liking the philosophy (as shallow as it is) but so far I am finding myself liking it for the most part. I will have to read the sundering novels to compare though.

So this isn't my official list, I had to make some weird changes due to missing models and not really wanting to use 20 dawnriders against stormcast

Mission: Blade's Edge

Army: Realm-Lords, Syar

Opponent: Stormcast - Anvils of the Heldenhammer (White Dwarf Rules)

Points level: 2000

So, was able to play against a good friend today who has taken a break from his blade's of khorne to throw his Stormcast back into the ring after general's handbook.

The Anvils of the Heldenhammer ride the storm onto the battlefield - a verdant valley in the Mountain Realms of Hysh. The Chosen of Sigmar arrive to find that the Realm-Lords arrayed in formation across the field, their shield wall illuminated by the radiance of Hysh...

So the Anvils of the Heldenhammer seize first turn and surge forward onto the three objectives in their deployment zone in turn one. Likewise happens in Realm-Lord's turn one, both factions braced to collide into a brutal melee.

The Judicators also get to shoot first and pick out something like 5-7 Sentinels... ouch!

The Anvils seize turn 2 priority sound the horn for an army-wide charge against the Hyshian Aelves.

But not before the Judicators shoot in the hero phase thanks to a command ability for the Anvils. The Cathaller is riddled with arrows and promptly expires.

The Judicators shoot again in the shooting phase and only kill 3 archers this time.

On the right flank, the Sequitors, whom the evocators failed to empower, also fail their charge! The Gryph-Charger Arcanum, 10 Evocators, and 3 Dracoline Evocators succeed in meeting the Warden phalanx opposing them. 10 Sequitors meet the other Warden unit on the left flank.

The Evocators wade through the pike-wall and cut a bloody swathe through the aelven citizen warriors, arcs of celestial lightning working in tandem with their sigmarite swords and staffs to reduce the entire phalanx to scattered embers. All 20 Wardens in the first initial combat despite popping an aetherquartz 😑.

So now my right flank is facing the weight of the Stormcast assault without the reassurance of a protective screen. The battle begins to look ill in the beginning... but there is light in the darkness.

The Wardens on the left flank cut down a handFul of Wardens, but lose five of their number in the ensuing melee.

The Sentinels on the right flank are drawn into the combat thanks to the over extension of the Dracolines. One is reduced to one wound.

Eltharion blasts the Lord Relictor with a slurry of incinerating light, dealing four wounds.

Stonemage summons a living fissure through the very earth the Anvils entrench themselves on, and dish out a good number of mortal wounds.

Turn three - Eltharion instills faith of the Realm Lord's victory with his bravery boosting command ability, then charges into the heart of the crumbling right flank. Both Fangsword and the Celennari blade strikes with the cleansing light of Hysh, and sends four (four!) Evocators on foot back to Azyr on the winds of the storm!

An aetherquartz infused arcane bolt picks off the Lord Relictor!

As the melee ensues, the Dracolines are whittled down to one wounded Evocator and his mount by the end of the third turn. The right-flank sentinels have lost over half of their number.

Stonemage casts the living fissure another time and dishes out... 15 mortal wounds between my Sentinels, Dracoline, Evocators on foot, gryph charger Arcanum,  and Sequitors... rolled 3 on the D3's for each unit! To worsen the sting, my Stonemage continues to use his Goading Arrogance to lock the Lord Arcanum to strike only at herself, but he remains out of range for turn 3 and 4!

By the of Turn 3, the Dawnriders surge forth along either flank and join the fray. Their intervention, combined with a sentinel charge on the left flank, eradicate the unit of Judicators and seize the objective in my opponent's territory... on the right flank, I capture the right objective in my territory again through sheer weight of numbers.

The Wardens on the left flank retaliate against the sequitors, their sunmetal weapons striking 10 mortal wounds on their enemies and felling the rest of the unit save for one...

In turn 4, the Anvils win priority again and that lone Sequitor with his great hammer crushes four of of nine Wardens into the dirt!

As the round goes on, the Lumineth start to break and route as the aetherquartz begins to run dry...

The Anvils rally in the face of defeat, and overcome the Realm-Lords by one victory point to win the entire game by riding the winds and some super lucky charges that really just obliterated what remained of my army.

11-10 Anvils to Realm-Lords.

Thoughts on the game: Celestial Lightning is so brutal!

h6vtPSs.jpg
jclkAuX.jpg
9JRbal8.jpg
XGxpJ0n.jpg
BmigTdo.jpg

r1AsXd3.jpg

awyn2t2.jpg

r7EqfEU.jpg

02e4JH6.jpg

UEs0oe5.jpg

utUpK5L.jpg

kC0Lw9a.jpg

kWwUzbA.jpg

xl40pKI.jpg

xl40pKI.jpg

Edited by ThalmorRepresentative
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 3

Thanks again for the BR! 👍 Really appreciated, that’s a lot to write. Maybe worth to make a mother thread too, so that they don’t get lost among all the other posts? 

Sounds like another very exciting game! A lot of back and forth. You really get a lot of damage done with your Stonemage, very cool : ) 

Loosing the Cathallar that early is a bummer of course, but a lot of armies can do that, so good to see you still could cope pretty well without her. 

Any changes you plan to your list? 

Why is your army not fully painted yet? 😜

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, LuminethMage said:

Thanks again for the BR! 👍 Really appreciated, that’s a lot to write. Maybe worth to make a mother thread too, so that they don’t get lost among all the other posts? 

Sounds like another very exciting game! A lot of back and forth. You really get a lot of damage done with your Stonemage, very cool : ) 

Loosing the Cathallar that early is a bummer of course, but a lot of armies can do that, so good to see you still could cope pretty well without her. 

Any changes you plan to your list? 

Why is your army not fully painted yet? 😜

Yeah, creating a thread for Realm-Lord for that sounds like a good idea I haven't considered.

Will definitely create one now!

I may condense the dawnriders back into a unit of 10, just so I don't have another drop I don't need during deployment. It would at least make me a four up. Also Eltharion and the Stonemage really saved that game. I knew Eltharion was a beast, but he cut down pretty much every evocator on foot that died that game. which was about 5-6 altogether, and that's 15-18 wounds. It was interesting, because Sancrosanct like MWs too and dished them right back at me, and ended up being Eltharion's bane lol😄.

But, Eltharion maybe a character I try to fit in somewhere in the future. His command ability also helps, as you cannot save every unit on the table from morale, especially later in the game if your Cathallers are being axed.

• Thanks 1

MWs seem to be the bane of a LRL army, so it's probably a good idea to bring as many ways to ignore wounds as possible - I'd suggest bringing Protection of Hysh on more than one unit (not on heroes even, but from units themselves), so there's always a way to cast it in the thick of combat and give yourself a bubble of ward saves.  I'd also bring more than one Cathallar to keep everyone from getting weepy, since they are fragile as all get out. I might have to buy/make another one since I'm leaning heavily on casting and infantry.

Also also, I see no reason to put Sentinels anywhere near the front lines ever, since their whole deal is 'I sit in cover out of line of sight and rain 5+ MWs on whoever I want'. You don't care about negative hit modifiers because you only care about the dice roll numbers themselves, and if they are in a ruin or a wood or something they can do their job with impunity. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, overtninja said:

MWs seem to be the bane of a LRL army, so it's probably a good idea to bring as many ways to ignore wounds as possible - I'd suggest bringing Protection of Hysh on more than one unit (not on heroes even, but from units themselves), so there's always a way to cast it in the thick of combat and give yourself a bubble of ward saves.  I'd also bring more than one Cathallar to keep everyone from getting weepy, since they are fragile as all get out. I might have to buy/make another one since I'm leaning heavily on casting and infantry.

Also also, I see no reason to put Sentinels anywhere near the front lines ever, since their whole deal is 'I sit in cover out of line of sight and rain 5+ MWs on whoever I want'. You don't care about negative hit modifiers because you only care about the dice roll numbers themselves, and if they are in a ruin or a wood or something they can do their job with impunity. :)

Till they meet the front of a grinding doomwheel!

Yes-yes😜

Ps: sorry mate, I just saw an opportunity to put that in.

But love your idea.

Edited by Skreech Verminking

6 hours ago, overtninja said:

Those are solid points, overtninja, and I agree with them. I'm still practicing and experimenting with positioning, at least now I understand the consequences of putting them up that close. I think it may be worth while to deploy them that close to the front line perhaps against other defenses armies that aren't very fast, but in this case and especially other cases like Slaanesh, still need to deploy quite a bit back with the sentinels to make sure they don't get touched.

So I'll be doing that in the future🙂.

Yeah, I was actually thinking about it instead of Eltharion, but I would have a cache of unspent points that just's on the cusp of not getting me anything else I had on hand lol.

I'll definitely be throwing in another cathaller into this list I think. Plus the Shrine of Amyntok and Twinstones to help with casting.

Yeah I got the protection of hysh off on one unit of wardens, and the rest of my attempts with them were for the power of hysh.

If I'm correct, you can only cast protection of hysh once a turn, correct?

Thanks for the advice!

My reasoning was that since Protection of Hysh is a bubble, it would be a good idea to have multiple people who can cast it so you can decide where you want that bubble to be at any given turn.

If you are playing Zaitrek, this isn't a bad idea at all, since your casters know two spells anyway, and that includes all your units. :D

2 hours ago, overtninja said:

My reasoning was that since Protection of Hysh is a bubble, it would be a good idea to have multiple people who can cast it so you can decide where you want that bubble to be at any given turn.

If you are playing Zaitrek, this isn't a bad idea at all, since your casters know two spells anyway, and that includes all your units. :D

quite sure only heroes get the extra spell but the zaitrec +1 cast bonus will for sure help as it's an 8 cast spell :)

• Like 1

Has anyone tried the Sanctum of Amyntok yet.  The benefits are great, but the set-up rules seem to be so disadvantageous as to make it worthless.  To set it up each part has to be more than 3" from any other unit, so the caster would have to be at least 4" from another unit which would put them so out of position that their main job would be compromised and you'd lose the "Look out sir" -1 in order to do it.  Is this Endless spell simply counter-productive or to be thought of for use only in late game when your hero is all alone?

3 hours ago, Aelfric said:

Has anyone tried the Sanctum of Amyntok yet.  The benefits are great, but the set-up rules seem to be so disadvantageous as to make it worthless.  To set it up each part has to be more than 3" from any other unit, so the caster would have to be at least 4" from another unit which would put them so out of position that their main job would be compromised and you'd lose the "Look out sir" -1 in order to do it.  Is this Endless spell simply counter-productive or to be thought of for use only in late game when your hero is all alone?

You can  move units closer in the movement phase following your hero phase, and as the caster and the Sanctum become one, they should get Look Out Sir, and also all other abilities are counted from the Sanctum end, not the caster model anymore. So in that respect it shouldn’t be a big problem. 

52 minutes ago, LuminethMage said:

You can  move units closer in the movement phase following your hero phase, and as the caster and the Sanctum become one, they should get Look Out Sir, and also all other abilities are counted from the Sanctum end, not the caster model anymore. So in that respect it shouldn’t be a big problem. 

It's not something you can set up for though, unless you can guarantee first turn as the hero will be so exposed or you set up further back.  I suppose it's situational but a useful tool if you have 30 points spare, although then it's competing with a likely triumph.  I suppose the only way to find out how useful it is is to actually use it.  That may be a while for me as the Endless spells are far down on the Lumineth purchasing list (and I may have to buy more Troggoths when the next WD comes out - have to spread the love :) ).

Thanks to @Baron Klatz for pointing this out this little gem in the Hobby Chatter thread for Lumineth players: 

Realm of Plastic made a Lumineth army name generator that could be useful to the illuminated narrative players here.
https://mobile.twitter.com/RealmOfPlastic/status/1312423399092883457

There are some really good names among them, and there are a lot. 

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

Guys, I need some help. 

After painting my first unit in the Ymetrica color almost killed me, I'm planning to paint the rest of the army in Iliatha colors. 

How would you go about painting the "extra" fabric on the archer models? 

•  I don't want it to be red. The loincloth / tabard is already going to be red.
  • I don't want it to be orange as most of the fabric of the archer model is already going to be orange. 
  • Black won't work either as gloves and boots are going to be black.
  • White could work, but the armor is already white.

I feel like I should introduce an extra color for those models or just paint the fabric white. 

Do you guys have any suggestions? 

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200924171033470_COVER.jpg

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200924171018768_COVER.jpg

Screenshot.png

• Like 6

@ChrisNoAnts I faced the same problem with my Sentinels and the Zaitrec Scheme. I didn't want to add any new colours. So in the end - I just added a layer of dark grey on the pants and used the same colour as for the skirt (in your case would be red). With the highlights etc. it worked out quite well for me. It looks similar, but different enough. An alternative might be a very light blue? Similar to your white on the armour, but with a slightly more bluish tint? Yellow could also fit well with the rest of your scheme. 

Btw. very nice paint job on your Warden : ). 👍