The Painting Contract - January 2020

TheOtherJosh

My finished Cypher Lords warband, The Eyes of Aen. The colours are based on Evil-Lyn from Masters of the Universe. The original toy had bright yellow skin while her skin was a lot more pale in the cartoon. I imagine that the skin of my Cypher Lords turns more and more yellow the further they ascend in rank. The many toxins and drugs they consume help with this process. 

2020-01-11 Cypher Lords 1.jpg

2020-01-11 Cypher Lords 9.jpg

2020-01-11 Cypher Lords 10.jpg

2020-01-11 Cypher Lords 11.jpg

2020-01-11 Cypher Lords 12.jpg

• Like 12
  • LOVE IT! 5

So I'm nearly finished with my Celestant-Prime - took me a while, with a few hiccups along the way, but overall I'm pretty happy with how he's turning out. I've still got one small piece, a bit of extra basing, and varnishing to take care of, but as far as tabletop standard goes, he's ready to rock.

For the more experienced painters out there, I did have an issue pop up while painting this particular model. As someone who has primarily relied on washes to do most of my shading on smaller models, I found that the cloak and loincloth pieces on the Celestant-Prime are just too large and smooth for a typical wash (see below to get an idea of the texture). My usual edge highlighting was also basically useless on something with large, smooth contours. I wound up just drybrushing increasingly bright tones to try and build up some contrast, but I'm sure there are better ways of approaching this.

I'll probably check out some videos in the next couple days to get a feel for how the experts handle stuff like this, but I was wondering how others here go about highlighting those kinds of surfaces. Is this something more experienced painters would wet blend? Would an airbrush be a better way to build up contrast?

Any input would be much appreciated. Either way, happy to say that my contract for this month is (90%) fulfilled!

IMG_4080.jpg

IMG_4084.jpg

• Like 8
  • LOVE IT! 1

@l1censetochill Looks pretty good to me!

But if you want to get smoother blends on the large areas there are probably 3 options:

1. Wet blending - not a technique that I’m particularly familiar with but seems to be a popular option. Slightly less control than glazing but still pretty decent. Might be tough on smaller areas.

2. Glazing - Lots and lots of really thin layers, typically starting from a mid tone and then going back and forth between darker and lighter layers. It’s slow but the results can be great and can be used for both small and large areas. It also allows the most control in my opinion.

3. Airbrush - still technically glazing but a bit easier if you’re happy to use one. Overspray can be an issue with this one!

You’ll find loads of tutorials on YouTube for these too!

Da squigly jumping jacks of lurktobia are almost ready to scurry-jump towards battle

yes-yesD78BAB7B-9C58-41B1-A702-1ADE0BB99239.jpeg.ab866d562f9c45e07e3a6db6f5dbd06c.jpeg26EF1D11-6946-4335-AE82-4736E455830A.jpeg.ef5e9f2262ec32fc8715246cf81c73f3.jpeg

unlike my lack of skills by taking pictures, I am at least almost done with my goals.

just have to paint 3more models,

till my war-band for the upcoming local path to glory campaign is ready to jump

Edited by Skreech Verminking
  • Like 6

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 3:18 PM, FrederickD said:

My finished Cypher Lords warband, The Eyes of Aen. The colours are based on Evil-Lyn from Masters of the Universe. The original toy had bright yellow skin while her skin was a lot more pale in the cartoon. I imagine that the skin of my Cypher Lords turns more and more yellow the further they ascend in rank. The many toxins and drugs they consume help with this process. 

2020-01-11 Cypher Lords 1.jpg

2020-01-11 Cypher Lords 9.jpg

2020-01-11 Cypher Lords 10.jpg

2020-01-11 Cypher Lords 11.jpg

2020-01-11 Cypher Lords 12.jpg

Awesome, I really like them a lot. Especially what you did with the helmets and the white eyes. Give them a sort of mysterious/sinister look. But also the the color pallet...the purple works very well wit the yellow skin. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

So, amazingly I managed to meet my pledge and finish my last Ard Boy for a squad of 15 (appears to be the magic number for these in the new book). I am going to add some orange checks or markings to the black shoulder to tie them more together with the Bonesplitterz and their orange tattoos. Photos when I can but yay, first pledge met.

If time permits, I have about 7 boyz left to finish, so I will add these to the month (doubt it will happen but one must have goals...). 

That leaves 10 Brutes (5 brutez and 5 nobz from 40K I converted to finish this army. Comes in at about 3k... whoopsie

• Like 2

On 1/16/2020 at 4:57 AM, l1censetochill said:

So I'm nearly finished with my Celestant-Prime - took me a while, with a few hiccups along the way, but overall I'm pretty happy with how he's turning out. I've still got one small piece, a bit of extra basing, and varnishing to take care of, but as far as tabletop standard goes, he's ready to rock.

For the more experienced painters out there, I did have an issue pop up while painting this particular model. As someone who has primarily relied on washes to do most of my shading on smaller models, I found that the cloak and loincloth pieces on the Celestant-Prime are just too large and smooth for a typical wash (see below to get an idea of the texture). My usual edge highlighting was also basically useless on something with large, smooth contours. I wound up just drybrushing increasingly bright tones to try and build up some contrast, but I'm sure there are better ways of approaching this.

I'll probably check out some videos in the next couple days to get a feel for how the experts handle stuff like this, but I was wondering how others here go about highlighting those kinds of surfaces. Is this something more experienced painters would wet blend? Would an airbrush be a better way to build up contrast?

Any input would be much appreciated. Either way, happy to say that my contract for this month is (90%) fulfilled!

IMG_4080.jpg

IMG_4084.jpg

Looks fantastic!

Not for a second claiming to be an expert but on large non textured surfaces a wash is kind of moot. Washes are effective because the property of the medium in them encourages the pigment to go into recesses and that puts the details of that area of the model in relief. If theres hardly any recesses though the wash basically has nowhere to go. 

Glazing and blending on the other hand are specifically techniques used to create transitions on the surface.

Vince from Warhammer weekly did a great video on blending big areas,its actually about painting Speed Painting but I found its application invaluable, and fun too:

• Thanks 1