Warhammer - The Old World

Gareth 🍄

Didnt see a Direct comparison on photo about this, so here you go: a frontal of 5 20x20mm, with miniatures on round 25mm. As you can see, they fit perfectly on this 100mm base size.

However, its not the same case with 32mm.

IMG_20240111_212020.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Garrac said:

Didnt see a Direct comparison on photo about this, so here you go: a frontal of 5 20x20mm, with miniatures on round 25mm. As you can see, they fit perfectly on this 100mm base size.

However, its not the same case with 32mm.

IMG_20240111_212020.jpg

Flip the tray over and place the 32mm in a row. Should work out width wise relatively well (the tray borders technically make trays illegal in tournaments xD)

Edited by JackStreicher

That's cool.

However, Im more preocupied with how will I do to fit the screaming bells/pebeteiros, since they come in 60x100, while the basic infantry is in round 25s. No matter what movement tray I pick, there'll be allways 10-15mm lacking on the frontal

4 hours ago, Garrac said:

wait what

image.png.f19e333d08a5d936e1ba02c8417d0d1b.png

red = Unit Footprint. The top is 30mm, the bottom red is 32mm
White = the tray
Purple = the amount 32mm is actually bigger than 30mm + tray

The tray enlargens the footprint which by current rules would be illegal anyways. There's basically no difference between using a tray for 30mm bases or using 32mm square bases

Example formation: 
5x5 models

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 1

The whole debate around the movement tray is a bit weird seeing that GWs trays add quite a bit, so i think that it is quite ok to have a slight variation, ai 5 to 10 mm. I don't think it will massively change the outcome of a game.

Edited by Mordeus
  • Like 7

I just watched the lasted "The Great Book of Grudges" core faction focus video and I have to say. Every core faction has so many options and that without the Arcane journals. I have no idea how balanced everything is, but I have already so many idea's to build an army.

I went from Bretonnia, to High Elves, to Empire and now I am thinking doing a Tomb Kings army. I will probably 3d print a lot of the mini's, but will support TOW with buying all the books and new characters when they are available again and not sold out in a second.

It will be a while before I can actual play a game / have an army big enough, but the building / painting part of it will be already fantastic!

Currently printing a bit of everything to see how every could work scale wise.

image.png.aa20633284d1e2a02fd1d4e50558e228.png

3 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

image.png.f19e333d08a5d936e1ba02c8417d0d1b.png

red = Unit Footprint. The top is 30mm, the bottom red is 32mm
White = the tray
Purple = the amount 32mm is actually bigger than 30mm + tray

The tray enlargens the footprint which by current rules would be illegal anyways. There's basically no difference between using a tray for 30mm bases or using 32mm square bases

Example formation: 
5x5 models

So, I should take out the borders of the trays? never had a problem with them on 8th tournaments tbh.

28 minutes ago, Garrac said:

So, I should take out the borders of the trays? never had a problem with them on 8th tournaments tbh.

No you should not.

The core of what I am trying to say here is that a unit on tray is about the same size as the same unit on slightly larger bases - so excluding people who use slightly larger bases makes no sense.

also trays are technically illegal if a tournament insists on the correct base sizes.

that is all.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

No you should not.

The core of what I am trying to say here is that a unit on tray is about the same size as the same unit on slightly larger bases - so excluding people who use slightly larger bases makes no sense.

also trays are technically illegal if a tournament insists on the correct base sizes.

that is all.

In theory yes, but I’m not certain how many people would take part in such a tournament 

considering how long it would take to move every model and try and keep them in formation😂

• Haha 2

Saw on reddit someone asking about the screaming bells, made me realise it really is awkward to try to fit them with the regular infantry. I wonder why did they keep them on their og 60x100mm bases? It makes it awkward to fit them with the 25x25mm infantry, all my trays work on multiples of 20 or 25.

Edited by Garrac

14 minutes ago, Garrac said:

Saw on reddit someone asking about the screaming bells, made me realise it really is awkward to try to fit them with the rgualr infantry. I wonder why did they keep them on their og 60x100mm bases? It makes it awkward to fit them with the 25x25mm infantry, all my trays work on multiples of 20 or 25.

Haven't thought about that until now. I'm sure there's people who can make a fitting custom movement tray either with MDF or a 3d print.

Edited by Jator

Sorry to ask a cheeky request. Does anyone know off the top of their head what base size Demigryph Knights would be? I've seen it's 50x75 for the mount option but wasn't sure if this would be for the unit as well or just for character models?

I found my old box so I'm absolutely buzzing to be cracking on with them (gonna do some Kislev style Gryphon Legion bois for the Border Prince army). They come with 50x75's in the box but wasn't sure if they'd been increased for ToW.

8 hours ago, Black_Templar_Lad said:

Sorry to ask a cheeky request. Does anyone know off the top of their head what base size Demigryph Knights would be? I've seen it's 50x75 for the mount option but wasn't sure if this would be for the unit as well or just for character models?

I found my old box so I'm absolutely buzzing to be cracking on with them (gonna do some Kislev style Gryphon Legion bois for the Border Prince army). They come with 50x75's in the box but wasn't sure if they'd been increased for ToW.

Check page 129 of this thread, lots of bases sizes posted there including the empire I believe. 

Edited by Ogregut
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Black_Templar_Lad said:

Squinting activated

Screenshot_2024-01-14-08-12-06-18_a27b88515698e5a58d06d430da63049d.jpg.1b460f84c7df9eeb4390b4cfc3018902.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Garrac said:

Saw on reddit someone asking about the screaming bells, made me realise it really is awkward to try to fit them with the regular infantry. I wonder why did they keep them on their og 60x100mm bases? It makes it awkward to fit them with the 25x25mm infantry, all my trays work on multiples of 20 or 25.

The rules allow for characters joining units to be placed at the side of the unit instead of within it, so that might be the intent for it and things like the Slaan.

It's very strange regardless as it certainly won't look as aesthetic.

8 minutes ago, Beliman said:

Anyone knows how to make a 2+save Dwarf?

Full plate+shield, but I don't see any "+1 save" runes, and the shieldbearers are just +3 wounds.

Anvil of Doom can give +1 Save rerolling fails. Master Rune of Gromril makes your armour a flat out 2+ save. 

Edited by BarakUrbaz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Geez.  The password recovery feature has been broken for so long that I gave up and made a new account. 🤨

Really looking forward to TOW.  Because of the absolute glut of brets and TK for the foreseeable future, I'm leaving my TK on the shelf for now and busily rebasing my Altdorf army. Thus far, I've completed:

40 swordsmen, 30 greatswords, 30 handgunners, 30 crossbowmen, 2 cannons with crews, 1 general, 1 BSB, 1 Sigmarite priest, and 2 wizards.

20/40 swordsmen from a regiment that needs partial repainting to represent Altdorf are completed, and the remaining 20 bases are also ready (current project).

10 knights, one mounted BSB, 2 mortars with crews, and 5 pistoliers are awaiting 30x60 and 50x75 bases.

I'm a bit concerned about the rules for melee state troops.  I understand that spears will fight in two ranks, that's expected.  Halberds will presumably get +1S and either armor bane or AP-1, probably armor bane.  But the reason I have mine all with sword and board is that they've always served as an anvil, doing absolutely nothing while dying very, very slowly.  That works best with layered survivability and leadership buffs, of course, so I'll have to see what the options are there.  The burning question for me, however, is the sword itself.  WHFB had "parry," and I expect some similar minor buff to survivability.  Could be a 6+ ward, which is pretty powerful, but at the same time, there may be other means of getting that, and it'd be a shame to make it something you can get another way, since that limits stacking, unless the wards would stack, which would be OP.  My guess?  +1WS.  Pretty much no chance of making anyone hit them on 5s instead of 4s, but good potential to drop some foes from 3s to 4s, and that's pretty good.

• Like 1