Warhammer - The Old World

Gareth 🍄

On 1/8/2024 at 1:55 PM, JackStreicher said:

Edit: Updated with 75mm oval: Single and 2 by 3. Updated 50mm round to square in a row of 3

EDIT: Updated the 30x25mm, added a lot more single converters.

I might open a serperate thread for this.

Some of the adapter trays I've made so far.

five  60x35mm to rectangular.
two by 4 60x35mm to rectangular
twenty 25mm to square
thirty 25mm to square

Feel free to share, as long as you give me credit :D

Convertability:
you can simple scale the 25mm round trays up to make them fit 32mm, 40mm, 50mm etc. bases with no issue.

Example using the 20x25mm tray:
currently its width is 12.5cm, its height is 100mm.
Scaling up to 32mm means to set the width to 32mmx5 (16cm) and the height to (4x32mm) 12.8cm

The same does not apply to the cavalry bases since GW's oval bases get weird past the size of 60x35mm, it's some custom oval shape.

BUT it looks so big!
Only the cutouts are slightly bigger than the base's footprint and beveled so you can put in your models without any hassle

images

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.a50c32302e24f08270b996dfc4747ec5.pngimage.png.96311a9d2574b126164a76c3f4507c0c.png

Concerning sizes

Reveal hidden contents

TOW Cav bases are 60x30mm. Since it can't be converted I used 60c35mm. WORRY NOT!
If people use the GW trays the unit's footprint will almost exactly be the same size as the original since the GW Trays have a roughly 5mm overhangs on each side.

Five_Cabalry_60x35.stl 246.08 kB · 3 downloads Twenty_25mm.stl 841.49 kB · 3 downloads Eight_Cabalry_60x35.stl 354.77 kB · 2 downloads

RoundToSquare_25mm.stl 46.86 kB · 1 download

25mm to 30mm.stl 50.77 kB · 0 downloads 60mm Cav to 60x35 square.stl 46.86 kB · 0 downloads 60mm Cav to 60x30 square with overhang.stl 38.27 kB · 0 downloads 32mm to 30 mm with overhang.stl 39.44 kB · 0 downloads

30x25mm.stl 1.19 MB · 0 downloads

75 oval single.stl 105.65 kB · 0 downloads 75mm oval to rectangular.stl 105.65 kB · 0 downloads six 75mm oval two rows.stl 577.72 kB · 0 downloads three 50mm.stl 151.5 kB · 0 downloads

Edit: Added the Lance Formation 1,2,3 (6 Models)

Updated with 75mm oval to rectangular (single and a unit of 6 (3x2).
Additionally 50mm round to square in a unit of 3.

You can do what you want with these files expect selling them. 😃

This should be all useful conversions. If you need more let me know! 

(I might create a thread for this a mod could pin if they wanted) :)

5CC2178C-58BB-4E88-A599-608A10FAFB10.jpeg

A8C0553F-AE00-445D-B83E-9032FF33A15D.jpeg

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 5
  • LOVE IT! 1

6 minutes ago, Ogregut said:

Dice for Dwarfen Holds have been spotted so seems that the next lot of releases aren't to far away 

Aparently theyre slated for this summer, if im not misscorrect. Probably may or july if June is reserved for 4th Ed AoS (since august is the "dead month")

Edited by Garrac
  • Like 1

I personally wouldn't get hung up on base sizes, especially this early in the game. It only really matters in tournaments. As it is, imo Old World gives off a casual, old warhammery laid back-ness vibe that used to encourage you to do your own thing (unlike say AoS where they give you a half-hearted thumbs up of approval but no one actually does).

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, petitionercity said:

On bases, these are worth reading

Screenshot_20240108-195831.png.3110cab85eb3f98ce145d4e154ed104d.png

Screenshot_20240108-195339.png.456735aff8bc1b9902f61a6878ebc56e.png

Sure but honestly who cares? It's about as valid as "legacy factions aren't allowed in tournaments".

Int he end slight variations don't matter. It would matter if I put a gryphon on a 100x150mm base instead of the chariot base but +-2 cm is irrelevant as the GW trays by themselves would make your army invalid (they add aout 1,4 cm to the width and ~0,7cm to the depth of your unit)

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

Int he end slight variations don't matter.

and it's a good thing they don't, because I'm not convinced that the GW bases (especially the chariot base) are particularly close to their supposed official dimensions.  I haven't gotten my hands on one to measure yet, but just looking at the pictures those aren't 1x2 proportions, which means we're probably on old base molds for everything except the brand new 30x30 and 30x60s, which means several of the official bases will be noticeably off their official sizes.

Anyway, as far as I've heard most of the people talking about hosting events are currently leaning towards 'the game is too new to expect people to have rebased entire armies, so oldhammer base sizes or aos bases ranked up on rectangular unit trays are good enough, even if the footprint isn't quite right.  Of course, we'll have to wait until actual event packs are published to say, and I'm sure going forward proper base sizes (or at least proper unit footprints) will be required eventually.  This is still early days though, the important thing is that games are played and events happen, it's not the time to get hung up in the fussy details.

As for Legacy armies not being legal in competitive events, I'm still of the opinion that whoever is trying to impose that bit is deluding themselves.  How could official events imposing both 'supported factions only' and 'gw models only' even happen when half or more of the 'supported' factions won't be available to collect from GW in the first year or more of this game?  "Welcome to the Old World official GT, where the faction options are Bretts, Tomb Kings, Beastmen, Warriors of Chaos, and nothing else unless you happen to have an un-burned old fantasy army in your closet and/or are willing to drop us2k+ on ugly, out of print models on ebay!"  That doesn't sound like a fun event to me.  In fact, it sounds like an event that would be too embarrassing to even host, so either there just won't be official tOW events until there are 6+ faction rereleases, and that'll be what, a year from now?  Two?  Or else there will be official events, but they'll be bad and poorly attended and just won't have the same impact on the meta as indie events.

By the time halfway decent official GW events are even really possible the indie scene will be well established, with Legacy armies fully included, and even then official events will still just be ~worse~ for the reduced variety in cool opponents to encounter.

So yeah, imo GW really isn't going to have a say in what is or isn't legal in the competitive scene for tOW, and it was silly of them to pretend they would.  They're going to be too far behind the curve.

• Like 5

On 1/8/2024 at 7:51 AM, Marcvs said:

since unit fillers are an official thing, you could also do (let's say for a rank of 5) 4 32mm bases and a unit filler on a 20mm

That is so smart lol. I have never played old fantasy so I had no idea how trays and bases worked with spacing and all that.

I was trying to figure out how to get my Cities gunners which are 28.5 to try and get them to fit. That also helps me when I try and print some bases for my LRL!!!!

• LOVE IT! 1

So reading those sections with squinto vision...

First one, people might have old armies on different bases, this is ok except in matched play.

Second one, Artillery crew are just wound markers essentially so they should in theory all fit on the designated bases (Which is insane imho) but disregard them for play purposes. Some people make bigger diorama bases for artillery and this is fine too.

Which is good, cos thats what im doing :D

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Noserenda said:

First one, people might have old armies on different bases, this is ok except in matched play.

Second one, Artillery crew are just wound markers essentially so they should in theory all fit on the designated bases (Which is insane imho) but disregard them for play purposes. Some people make bigger diorama bases for artillery and this is fine too.

It's how it's always been for artillery, you would always measure to and from the actual machine for things like shooting and charging regardless of where the crew were. 

7 hours ago, Noserenda said:

For those folk who bought the starter boxes, Mikey from Hellstorm wargaming has made some 40k style datasheets for easy reference:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/19c_Du_Qtsvw0LTICx0L0F08bXEh7QBxM

And a video talking about them and stuff:

I know id find them super handy if i was playing those armies! 

I dont know why some chuds are using this to create a polemic, datacards are very useful in game

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Noserenda said:

For those folk who bought the starter boxes, Mikey from Hellstorm wargaming has made some 40k style datasheets for easy reference:

I would glady pay for it. Hopefully he will do it for every army and also for spells and items. It's super handy, I would have paid GW for it, but alas everything was sold out when I finally was out of the queue. 😉

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Noserenda said:

Exactly, this was why I shared them - but I also find it interesting they have an "out"; if artillery can be modelled as you like, then ... So can other things :D

8 hours ago, Noserenda said:

Now if only someone would do this for heresy!

• Like 1

With regards to base sizes I think it's inevitable that over time everyone will move over to the new base sizes either through rebasing or adapters. The rules are just fundamentally written with them in mind and the footprint of your army changing by 20% is too big of a factor. Yeah very few people will be fully rebased on release day and for the initial weeks where everyone is learning, re-learning, experimenting with the rules then there will be a lot of leeway given. But even the local super casual Old World players are ALL rebasing their armies and one of the local clubs is even offering a laser-cutting/3d printing service for new movement trays to encourage people to switch over.

1 hour ago, Beliman said:

So, anyone know a "generic as possible" Dwarf list to start paiting and buying stuff? 

I think the big issue is that outside of Longbeards, the entire Dwarf Core is currently OOP, as well as all of their artillery, which does make it somewhat difficult to really recommend what to buy unless you're using third party models. 

In terms of GW kits you can buy right now...

• Runelord
  • Dragonslayer (the current AoS Grombrindal) 
  • Longbeards/Hammerers
  • Ironbreakers/Irondrakes
  • Gyrocopter/Gyrobombers

If you enjoy converting, you could also make a King/Thane on Oathstone out of the Warden King and a Master Engineer out of the Cogsmith, however both those models were Special Characters during Fantasy (Belegar and Burloksson respectively) so if you just want something to do straight out of the box I'd avoid those.

The current 10-man stuff will almost certainly be reboxed into 20s which will be a decent discount when them being sold by LFGS' is factored in again, so it may not even be worth buying Hammerers or Ironbreakers yet for that reason. That being said, I could see builds of 20-Ironbreakers with a 10-Irondrake Detachment being popular. If you really want to grab something to build/paint now I'd go with 10 Irondrakes.

My suspicion is the big box set will probably contain 32 Warriors and 32 Thunderers/Quarrellers, as well as the Cannon/Organ Gun dual kit. I could see them including a 20-man Hammerers/Longbeards kit as both are a fluffy unit for the seemingly inevitable new Shieldbearer King model to join. Very roughly this would come to around the 1250pts they've been touting the Bretonnian/Tomb King boxes to be.

Gyrocopters can be brought in units of up to 6, which is something to consider if you want to build/paint one now and it ends up being included in the boxset. Gyrobombers only come solo, however.

So yeah, it's all a bit in limbo right now unfortunately. A Runelord/smith is probably your safest bet right now, since I can see lists taking more than one of those. 

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 2