Warhammer - The Old World

Gareth 🍄

what really ticks me off is that the tomb kings *have* plastic kits that still hold up reasonably well.  the tomb guard, necroknights, stalkers, sphinxes.  /None/ of those are in this box.

Instead we have 90+ of some of the worst plastic models that were left in the oldhammer range, already hopelessly outdated to the point of being outright embarrassing when the game died going on two decades ago!

The tomb kings line had two big problems - skeleton humans and skeleton horses.  Even the chariots hold up well enough if you replace the skelletons pulling & crewing them.  Just Two Sprues could have revitalized the entire range.  That's less than went into the bone dragon, and the tomb kings already had impressive large monster centerpieces.

but no, not only did they not update the models that needed it most, they didn't even try to mitigate the misery with any of the halfway decent kits they already have!

Talk about putting your absolute worst foot forward.  A mistep so bad their shin burst from their leg to impale their head from below.  It's like they /want/ this game to fail.

I'm big salty abt it.

• Like 12

6 minutes ago, Sception said:

what really ticks me off is that the tomb kings *have* plastic kits that still hold up reasonably well.  the tomb guard, necroknights, stalkers, sphinxes.  /None/ of those are in this box.

Instead we have 90+ of some of the worst plastic models that were left in the oldhammer range, already hopelessly outdated to the point of being outright embarrassing when the game died going on two decades ago!

The tomb kings line had two big problems - skeleton humans and skeleton horses.  Even the chariots hold up well enough if you replace the skelletons pulling & crewing them.  Just Two Sprues could have revitalized the entire range.  That's less than went into the bone dragon, and the tomb kings already had impressive large monster centerpieces.

but no, not only did they not update the models that needed it most, they didn't even try to mitigate the misery with any of the halfway decent kits they already have!

Talk about putting your absolute worst foot forward.  A mistep so bad their shin burst from their leg to impale their head from below.  It's like they /want/ this game to fail.

I'm big salty abt it.

This is exactly how I feel, too. I’d sort of made peace with the fact that they probably weren’t going to get those awful sculpts replaced, but seeing them all stuffed into the flagship box for the army, I just can’t believe that’s what they’re going with. 

1 hour ago, Sception said:

I'm big salty abt it.

Perfectly stated really.

Don't get me wrong there's lots of old models I do want to see come back and plenty which I think hold up well still, but the TK infantry and cavalry are most certainly not it.

• Like 1

On the bright side, it seems like the rumoured Bretonnian box could be decent. Unlike the Tomb Kings, the core Bret plastics hold up pretty well considering their age (I'm biased here because Brets were my first Warhammer love, but IMO most of their 6th ed range still looked good next to 8th ed stuff). Plus their new kits should provide lots of extra bits to convert the old Knights with.

That Tomb King box is a tragedy, though.

• Like 4

Those skellies never fit the Tomb Kings style at all. The design of their spears and hand weapons betrayed that they were originally really meant to be Vampire Counts models. Damn silly, bringing the things back. 

Plus they always reminded me of this... and not in an especially good way. 

images (24).jpeg

Edited by Big Kim Woof-Woof
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

I hope we get images of the Bretonnian box soon then. I am really looking forward to it. We just need to hope the price is decent.

I think it is pretty easy to guess.

- New Pegasus hero
- Man at Arms
- Archers
- Knights
- Pegasus Knights

This would be the full equivalent of the TK box.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

I think it is pretty easy to guess.

- New Pegasus hero
- Man at Arms
- Archers
- Knights
- Pegasus Knights

This would be the full equivalent of the TK box.

I know, I just want to see the box though. I also love looking at the army boxes 😬

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

Someone shared me this KS that has interesting TK options, in case anyone would be interested: Pharaoh's Legacy: Undead Army - STL Files by Crab Miniatures — Kickstarter

Yeah, I backed it and it's already sitting in my mmf library. I am just waiting for the new mini's for TK so I can match the scale as closely as possible with GW new TK's.

That KS was a very good deal, with very nice mini's.

image.png.f25b3874b7f46683fa3cc3dcd8ec8211.png

• Like 3

So guys are we thinking the rest of the TK line of new models will get revealed at the LVO or sometime in between now and the supposed release date? I am thinking if the release is indeed at the beginning of February isn't it a bit late to reveal the minis at the LVO and expect to generate hype in just a week or so? On the other hand I am not thinking GW will have another preview in the meantime.. Opinions?

39 minutes ago, Sir Grimm said:

So guys are we thinking the rest of the TK line of new models will get revealed at the LVO or sometime in between now and the supposed release date? I am thinking if the release is indeed at the beginning of February isn't it a bit late to reveal the minis at the LVO and expect to generate hype in just a week or so? On the other hand I am not thinking GW will have another preview in the meantime.. Opinions?

Imo there's not much to show. Maybe 2 heroes and the mummies unit, so they can show them via warhammer community.

5 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Imo there's not much to show. Maybe 2 heroes and the mummies unit, so they can show them via warhammer community.

Correct, but they did reveal most of the Bret line via designated previews, so I would presume they won't just reveal the TKs in a warcom article. They intend on building the hype and dragging the reveals to the maximum stretching point so I think they will actually use a preview slot for these. 

Just to be clear, not that I would mind if we get a warcom article with the reveals. 

1 hour ago, Sir Grimm said:

I assume we'll see the new resin mins and new plastic unit (whatever that turns out to be) before release, but as to where and when, haven't a clue. It does seem a little odd to be this close to release with only a single resin mini and plastic kit revealed for TK compared to Bretonnia.

Cynical thought is the bone dragon took up their plastic budget, so no new plastic unit for TK.

Edited by Sathrut
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Sathrut said:

Cynical thought is the bone dragon took up their plastic budget, so no new plastic unit for TK.

Would be sour if that turns out to be true.. :/ 

However, I still think they will hold up to the concept of a plastic multipart kit centerpiece covering multiple character options, a plastic unit and a few resin single models to round up and refresh each TOW faction going forward. 

32 minutes ago, Sir Grimm said:

Correct, but they did reveal most of the Bret line via designated previews, so I would presume they won't just reveal the TKs in a warcom article. They intend on building the hype and dragging the reveals to the maximum stretching point so I think they will actually use a preview slot for these. 

Just to be clear, not that I would mind if we get a warcom article with the reveals. 

I think it would be either articles for the minis and preview for the boxes or both in the preview, but I think is more likely the first scenario.

1 minute ago, Sir Grimm said:

Would be sour if that turns out to be true.. :/ 

However, I still think they will hold up to the concept of a plastic multipart kit centerpiece covering multiple character options, a plastic unit and a few resin single models to round up and refresh each TOW faction going forward. 

I doubt it'll turn out to be true. It just crossed my mind because we've barely seen any new TK, compared to Bretonnia. I assume they'll reveal the rest next month, once last hype push before the TOW releases.

Hopefully the game sells beyond their expectations, so each faction receives a true range refresh like AoS. One can dream!

Another Monday, another (The) Old World preview. This time it's covering army construction.

yhjETBvbqMIEatQz.jpg

Note Mercenaries specifically being called out. 

I don't think we've seen any Squire units yet either have we? Sergeant-at-Arms as Characters are also new.

vFSHYrHdhWf3L5rd.jpg

The Grand Army is not the only way to select a force, however. Each faction will gradually gain access to Armies of Infamy, which provide often wildly different ways to muster a force. As a Bretonnian Lord, you might wish to enter exile – especially as it means you can then take forbidden Border Princes Bombards into battle, while those who really just enjoy Knights and more Knights may prefer an Errantry Crusade.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 2

4 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Maybe the boxing day mini? I would say that would be either 40k and/or AoS.

Nothing stopping them from revealing an TOW mini alongside the Boxing Day one, the latter likely 40K and/or AoS, as you say.

Might not be mini related at all of course. Oh well, soon find out!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

The rumours about Mummies came with other now debunked stuff (plastic Chariot with Tomb King, instead of the dragon).

The speculation about Mummies was (in part) because of the Flail previewed, similar to the one old Mummy model, which we now know is an option in the Bone Dragon kit.

There could still be a plastic Mummies unit (even though that's kind of what Tomb Guard are supposed to be). The general desire I see for Mummies is that they would be bigger than Tomb Guard, but I think I'd prefer plastic Ushabti in that case. (I don't think there will be plastic Ushabti, I'm just saying that I'd prefer them.)

//

The weapons preview does still have some mystery to it. Mostly all the bugs (which don't seem to be a part of the Bone Dragon kit), but also the Khopesh and... Halberd. I had previously pointed out that they share a wrist connection (in the same way that the Spear and Flail share one, which turned out to be for the same Tomb King arm). 

I guess the Tomb King could have a second right arm (in a more natural pose) that these are for, but that still leaves all the bugs unaccounted for.

image.png.f48f6553bf9f96818aeb26fdba5a1d9b.png

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

vFSHYrHdhWf3L5rd.jpg

Of all the WHFB things, I miss the army composition rules the most. Partly nostalgia, partly aversion to imbalanced AoS armies spamming same units. These 0-1 restrictions and % of total point value were good and should be brought back asap.

• Like 6