Warhammer - The Old World

Gareth 🍄

Have to say the new Brets look fantastic -much more than what I was expecting. Each faction getting a couple of plastic kits each makes me a lot more optimistic about ToW. The foot knights look amazing - very much of a similar quality to the CoS stuff. Obviously similar mounted knights would be ideal but making "new" kits rather than replacing the old should help boost sales as old players can add to their collections. Getting initial sales will be key to rebuilding the Old World as a game. Looks very promising all in all, looking forward totem getting around to doing dwarfs and maybe wood elves. 

• Like 4

These regiments and other future regiments are returning in boxes that contain enough plastic miniatures to make a full regiment, not just a rank or two. With the Peasant Bowmen box, you’ll be able to build a unit of 32 archers, complete with a command group and Defensive Stakes. So dreams of creating massive armies of ranked-up troops will be well within your grasp.

Peasant Bowmen used to come in boxes of 16, and I hope that's the Old World standard as well and that they're really aiming at two units worth of minis in one box. 30+ minis per infantry unit would point out they're making the exact same mistake they did with 8th...which isn't something past GW.
But better to be caitiously optimistic rather than prematurely pissed off.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

The Tomb Kings skeleton kit was just an upgrade sprue for the old 5th ed (or was it 6th?) plastic Vampire Counts skeletons. The same is true for their skeleton archers. In my opinion, the biggest thing Tomb Kings need is a new skeleton kit that is not just medieval vampire counts skeletons with a different shield. Something that really sells that they are their own faction.

My hope is that they get a new plastic kit of basic skeletons and archers. They don't need a new elite infantry models, the Tomb Guard kit from 8th is fine. The two next worst kits are probably their cavalry units and chariots. Personally, I would like it best if they just cut the cav units from the book and resculpted the chariots from scratch. Those awful skeleton horses are really weighing Tomb Kings down in terms of looks.

It was indeed an upgrade sprue, but I felt at the time the detailing was better than the original kit.

My main point - which ties into yours of needing the kit to be replaced- was that the spinal and shoulder joints were a pain during assembly. 

1 minute ago, Souleater said:

It was indeed an upgrade sprue, but I felt at the time the detailing was better than the original kit.

It definitely was a little better at the time, that is true. But the newer VC skeletons, Soulblight skeletons and even Tomb Guard are both so much better and more detailed it's not even funny at this point.

The upgrade sprue contained some TK specific heads, but as far as I remember you don't get enough of them to put them on all your skeleton warriors. At least I didn't but that could have been a quirk of how the old battalion box worked. That was always one of the worst flaws of the upgrade sprue solution to me: At least some of my TK skeletons still needed to have mediveal helmets, and some had to wear that weird pot lid armour. Plus, the spears were also not the right time period.

5 minutes ago, Souleater said:

My main point - which ties into yours of needing the kit to be replaced- was that the spinal and shoulder joints were a pain during assembly. 

Yeah, that's the worst. I know some people like the ability to individually pose every skeleton, but honestly all the poses on my old guys are awful because I couldn't be bothered to hold the arms in place for long enough to let the glue cure completely.

Okay, hear me out.

Concerning the "sand mummies" rumor - what if the Tomb Guard replace skeletons as basic mooks, while those mummies take the tomb guard's place? Would take archers out of the equation, but it's not the worst outcome imho.

Edit: TG don't even have to replace basic skellies, just to become "core" so that people who don't want to buy ancient skelly models have the option not to.

Alternatively, since not even the rumor poster seems to know what those "sand mummies are", what if it's just a rebranding of the basic troops which comes with both melee and ranged option? That would seem in line with Bretonnian foot knights who get to choose between great weapons and sword & board.

If we're not getting basic skeletons, I really hope one of these two is the case (if not, highlands minis is in the process of releasing an absolutely gorgeous TK range, and I'm already overjoyed with their dwarfs & Beets).

Edited by KingKull
  • Like 3

Hello there Old World enthusiasts! What have been your thoughts on the latest rumors doing the rounds?

r/WarhammerFantasy - More Rumors from Discord found on 4chan

I think the second part actually makes sense as GW hasn't shown anything about the Bretonnian King yet and he was pretty well represented in the marketing for ToW. Additionally, it would be weird to have a single named character in the Bretonnian armybook - it being the Prophetess Elisse they revealed already, instead of the King or the Green Knight. Also it would be a cool format to have a single heavily customizable plastic character model for every army getting a ToW update going forward.

The other two points are open to discussion, even though one might assume that some form of a Narrative Book is coming later down the line one way or another as pointed out by the rumormonger.

• Like 2

Just now, Sir Grimm said:

Hello there Old World enthusiasts! What have been your thoughts on the latest rumors doing the rounds?

r/WarhammerFantasy - More Rumors from Discord found on 4chan

I think the second part actually makes sense as GW hasn't shown anything about the Bretonnian King yet and he was pretty well represented in the marketing for ToW. Additionally, it would be weird to have a single named character in the Bretonnian armybook - it being the Prophetess Elisse they revealed already, instead of the King or the Green Knight. Also it would be a cool format to have a single heavily customizable plastic character model for every army getting a ToW update going forward.

The other two points are open to discussion, even though one might assume that some form of a Narrative Book is coming later down the line one way or another as pointed out by the rumormonger.

Doublekit from plastic heroes seems nice.

Campaing books are expected, even it's not confirmed. Empire vs Orcs conflict is expected too, maybe even with their own campaign book, or just a part of the first one.

As a leak, it's boring af. A name drop for the warboss or any other named Tomb King herowould be more interesting.

16 minutes ago, Beliman said:

Doublekit from plastic heroes seems nice.

Campaing books are expected, even it's not confirmed. Empire vs Orcs conflict is expected too, maybe even with their own campaign book, or just a part of the first one.

As a leak, it's boring af. A name drop for the warboss or any other named Tomb King herowould be more interesting.

Well if they go with this format and they actually release Settra we can expect a Wizard named character for the TKs as well. Similar to the Louen/Elisse combo for the Brets. Same can be said for O&G, Empire and the other factions getting a ToW update later on. I think it is an awesome format that would give a lot of options, while still staying "in-company-budget" in regards to GW and their investment in The Old World project. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, harrocks said:

Funnily enough, the one thing that would get me interested in the old world is if they largely keep the old tomb kings models as I think it was a fantastic range including the basic skeleton troops.
yep, seriously.

Lucky man! Everything points out to the return of 80% of the old models for each army. 

8 hours ago, Sir Grimm said:

I think it is an awesome format that would give a lot of options, while still staying "in-company-budget" in regards to GW and their investment in The Old World project. 

I think the same.

And if they sculpt one new unit + a few heroes for each core faction, that will be a lot of new sculpts too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gaz Taylor said:

IMG_3956.jpeg.acb29fdac38c30b3ab7cff12ae92bc6d.jpeg

Really surprised nobody is talking about this more…. 🤣

Nice to see, especially after the announcement of the Christmas boxes for Chaos Warriors and Lizardmen. GW should be the ones clarifying already the base sizes and showing this kind of pics.

• Thanks 1

On 10/24/2023 at 5:00 PM, Jator said:

GW should be the ones clarifying already the base sizes and showing this kind of pics.

It will happen closer to the time. It’s to help with what will be sold and so they can be prepared. Plus will help keep the hype for it. For example I was really excited about Legions Imperialis but that’s gone now due to the delay and just getting updates about drop pods. 

Im sure we will see more come the November reveal and then it’s not a long wait (if the deleted GW comment about Feb 2024 is correct). 

Im very excited but trying not to do anything at moment apart from watching Fantasy Battle reports on Youtube

• Like 2

Sorry if this has been mentioned, as I've not been following the thread and didn't find anything by searching.

There's a Spanish streamer that has been off for some time due to personal problems that has a contact inside GW. This has been in the past a nice source for rumours.

The guy recently came back and yesterday had a stream about TOW. During the stream he dropped a leak. Not a massive one, but I think it is interesting to be shared.

His contact told him that there's a super cool army vs army picture showing Bretonia vs Tomb Kings. This illustration has been put in halfs for each army and they asked an illustrator to add a "hero" for each half of the pic.

What could this mean? Maybe a vs box for launch and then separate boxes for each army?

1 hour ago, Ejecutor said:

Sorry if this has been mentioned, as I've not been following the thread and didn't find anything by searching.

There's a Spanish streamer that has been off for some time due to personal problems that has a contact inside GW. This has been in the past a nice source for rumours.

The guy recently came back and yesterday had a stream about TOW. During the stream he dropped a leak. Not a massive one, but I think it is interesting to be shared.

His contact told him that there's a super cool army vs army picture showing Bretonia vs Tomb Kings. This illustration has been put in halfs for each army and they asked an illustrator to add a "hero" for each half of the pic.

What could this mean? Maybe a vs box for launch and then separate boxes for each army?

He also said the rules were done in one afternoon.

On 10/16/2023 at 7:50 PM, KingKull said:

Okay, hear me out.

Concerning the "sand mummies" rumor - what if the Tomb Guard replace skeletons as basic mooks, while those mummies take the tomb guard's place? Would take archers out of the equation, but it's not the worst outcome imho.

Edit: TG don't even have to replace basic skellies, just to become "core" so that people who don't want to buy ancient skelly models have the option not to.

Alternatively, since not even the rumor poster seems to know what those "sand mummies are", what if it's just a rebranding of the basic troops which comes with both melee and ranged option? That would seem in line with Bretonnian foot knights who get to choose between great weapons and sword & board.

If we're not getting basic skeletons, I really hope one of these two is the case (if not, highlands minis is in the process of releasing an absolutely gorgeous TK range, and I'm already overjoyed with their dwarfs & Beets).

Imo they are a come back of the old 4th ed Mummies. Kind of similar to the Foot Knights we saw. Here the hint:

image.png.870a284bd3fbd243fa70c0b24234e863.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

He also said the rules were done in one afternoon.

I mean, many people think they didn't put a crazy amount of effort in this project, but saying the rules were done in an afternoon sounds like Great Taurus sh*t to me. 

The thing about the boxes sound reasonable and fits with previous information, so much in fact that I won't give him much credit for getting that right. But I don't know the guy, what's his track record?

• Like 4