Warhammer - The Old World

Gareth 🍄

2 hours ago, Greybeard86 said:

We also have the "steam punk" theme, with gyrocopters and various warmachines. It looked special, but once you make a whole "steam punk" dwarf faction, it gets lost.

Agree to disagree. KOs are awesome and really unique (not sure why they are "lost"). Their only problem is their small roster.

About fyreslayers, they have the classic dwarven problem. Like Thunderers, Warriors, Ironbreakers, Hammerers and Longbeards; they all feel the same and people usually look for their weapons and shields to know who is who. If fyreslayers had a full armored troop, some chariots and cavalry instead of Fyreslayers with axes, big axes and a big flute, pretty sure that nobody would had any problem with their theme.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Beliman said:

Agree to disagree. KOs are awesome and really unique (not sure why they are "lost"). Their only problem is their small roster.

About fyreslayers, they have the classic dwarven problem. Like Thunderers, Warriors, Ironbreakers, Hammerers and Longbeards; they all feel the same and people usually look for their weapons and shields to know who is who. If fyreslayers had a full armored troop, some chariots and cavalry instead of Fyreslayers with axes, big axes and a big flute, pretty sure that nobody would had any problem with their theme.

I expected as much :P

I do not think all "old dwarves" looked the same, at least not until their last plastic kit.

http://toyarmies.com/wiki/index.php/Dwarfs

I can very well tell apart warriors (more basic armor, simpler weapons and beards) from hammerers (classic TH massive hammers, weird pose that I learnt to love), longbeards (warior-like but with massive beards), or ironbreakers (completely covered in armor).

As I said, I think fyreslayers are a relic from a different era (AoS 1) in which it was about having "warband" like armies, smaller amounts of minis, and just keep rotating them as they release new sculpts. Hence the "skirmish" rules over rank and file, and so on.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Beliman said:

@Greybeard86 Completely agree then!

If their models are diferent enough, then, they feel diferent.

When the models are not diferent enough, the whole theme of the army gets boring really fast.

Pretty much. I also liked the flexibility of having different themes within an army. Do I want to field more of this or that, and for them to look very different then. Now, in AoS, my impression is that, for that, often you'd need to jump to a different army.

But this is more personal preference.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Greybeard86 said:

Pretty much. I also liked the flexibility of having different themes within an army. Do I want to field more of this or that, and for them to look very different then. Now, in AoS, my impression is that, for that, often you'd need to jump to a different army.

But this is more personal preference.

Imho, you are 100% correct.

Some of AoS armies are so small that can only touch 1 theme and even if that theme is really "big", you are chained to an small roster with not so many options.

Look at KOs. Their theme is massives: traders, pirates, smugglers, flying ships, big game hunters,... and dwarfs. But their lack of miniatures means that all of their "themes" are stuck with one troop, one elite troop and 2 "cavalry" units.

But, Lumineth Realmlords, Gloomspite Gitz or the new Gravelords seems to have enough and diferent units to play with their own sub-themes.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Beliman said:

Imho, you are 100% correct.

Some of AoS armies are so small that can only touch 1 theme and even if that theme is really "big", you are chained to an small roster with not so many options.

Look at KOs. Their theme is massives: traders, pirates, smugglers, flying ships, big game hunters,... and dwarfs. But their lack of miniatures means that all of their "themes" are stuck with one troop, one elite troop and 2 "cavalry" units.

But, Lumineth Realmlords, Gloomspite Gitz or the new Gravelords seems to have enough and diferent units to play with their own sub-themes.

You are right, I have the impression that some of the new releases allow for what you are saying. Almost as if AoS were gravitating back to WHFB, in that sense 😜

As for Gitz, I think they are a tad odd, with a diverse range, but it is not about blending the subfactions. You go all out in one or another, but mixing is extremely discouraged. I do it, but that's because atm I am not competing for anything but looks.

PS - I'd love to be able to have some KO units in a more "diverse" dawi faction...I just cannot paint an entire army of them.

Edited by Greybeard86

Fyreslayers problem is that different kits are nearly identical, at least ironjawz got more difference.

They should have used some other elements like pants,scarves and some other jewelry.

Imho a monk style infantry with shaved heads and some clothes between the jewels could do the trick.

Kharadron can adds some subtheme like the guilds and the type of ships/works:whalers, pirates,forecadtinator guild heroes that uses maths to buff units and so on.

Also some subtheme could be their army expanded like goblin spiders or deadwalker...unlike lumineth who haves "real subthemes" still with a singular cultural and aesthetic characterization.

Edited by Snorri Nelriksson
  • Like 2

Just a thought on the magic-ness of the OW.

Through careful writing and managing of expectations, they (GW) were largely able to pull off having it both ways. 

The setting itself is gritty and low-magic, and yet almost every time we (as players, hobbyists, or readers) actually interact with the setting, it's in a high-magic way.  We're always the exceptions, and it feels comfortable that way.  There's hardly any active day-to-day magic or monsters in the Empire, but every time we bring out our Empire army, there's a handful of wizards in it, and a so-rare-it's-almost-mythical Steam Tank, and they are facing giants or lizards or chaos beasts or some other fantastical creatures.

• Like 10

On 5/18/2021 at 6:55 PM, amysrevenge said:

Just a thought on the magic-ness of the OW.

Through careful writing and managing of expectations, they (GW) were largely able to pull off having it both ways. 

The setting itself is gritty and low-magic, and yet almost every time we (as players, hobbyists, or readers) actually interact with the setting, it's in a high-magic way.  We're always the exceptions, and it feels comfortable that way.  There's hardly any active day-to-day magic or monsters in the Empire, but every time we bring out our Empire army, there's a handful of wizards in it, and a so-rare-it's-almost-mythical Steam Tank, and they are facing giants or lizards or chaos beasts or some other fantastical creatures.

Good observation. Still, I think that AoS turned that to 11. You can even see it in the battalions allowing you to take rare things as battle line. 

What can I say, while seeing an “all slayer” army was cool as a concept, since it seemed very unique, having experienced that in AoS across many factions I can say that it gets old fast.

Give me back the days of moderation, even if what you say is true. Better to see one steam tank often than 10.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Greybeard86 said:

Give me back the days of moderation, even if what you say is true. Better to see one steam tank often than 10.

The problem with this in terms of visual identity and market considerations, so leaving aside personal preferences, is that there's plenty of competitors in the low-magic / infantry&cavalry&archers tier of fantasy these days.

1 hour ago, Marcvs said:

The problem with this in terms of visual identity and market considerations, so leaving aside personal preferences, is that there's plenty of competitors in the low-magic / infantry&cavalry&archers tier of fantasy these days.

Right, it might be for a reason :P

There is some appeal in the idea of men&women with pointy sticks poking at terriying monsters. And the romanticism of taking back orc&goblin infested ancentral homes...one day...

• Like 1

On 5/24/2021 at 8:27 AM, Greybeard86 said:

What can I say, while seeing an “all slayer” army was cool as a concept, since it seemed very unique, having experienced that in AoS across many factions I can say that it gets old fast.

If a whole army of "normal dwarfs" has one unit of "slayers", that's unique.
If a whole army of "slayers" have ogre-type dwarfs (to say something), that will be unique too.
If a whole army of "steampunk dwarfs" have pirate-orcs (to say something) , that will be unique too.

Doesnt' matter if it's an AoS army or not, If they don't have anything relevant, they get older really fast and their whole roster gets boring.

On 5/24/2021 at 11:47 AM, Greybeard86 said:

There is some appeal in the idea of men&women with pointy sticks poking at terriying monsters. And the romanticism of taking back orc&goblin infested ancentral homes...one day...

You already have that in AoS with Cities. The main problem is that there are no new kits yet (ignore the two new witch hunters, I'm talking about whole new army about our John Doe doing their things).

Edited by Beliman
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Beliman said:

If a whole army of "normal dwarfs" has one unit of "slayers", that's unique.
If a whole army of "slayers" have ogre-type dwarfs (to say something), that will be unique too.
If a whole army of "steampunk dwarfs" have pirate-orcs (to say something) , that will be unique too.

Yes, indeed. Much like chorfs had centaurs. That said, the more extreme the baseline is, the harder it is to create the "exception". Contrast becomes more challenging.

10 minutes ago, Beliman said:

Doesnt' matter if it's an AoS army or not, If they don't have anything relevant, they get older fast and their whole roster gets old faster.

You already have that in AoS with Cities. The main problem is still no new kits (ignore the two new witch hunters, I'm talking about whole new army about our John Does doing their things).

Cities, poor cities. Can anyone, in good faith, recommend a new player cities as a starting army? It is a cluedo game of who will get legended next.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Greybeard86 said:

Cities, poor cities. Can anyone, in good faith, recommend a new player cities as a starting army? It is a cluedo game of who will get legended next.

Um, no legending since its release, replacing SCE as focus of background, expanded rules in every BR book and new heroes from Cursed City and then Witch Hunters?

I got back into the hobby with intention of staring IDK but soon blew my budget on Cities nostalgia - and I have no regrets :)

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/19/2021 at 12:57 AM, Greybeard86 said:

I expected as much :P

I do not think all "old dwarves" looked the same, at least not until their last plastic kit.

http://toyarmies.com/wiki/index.php/Dwarfs

Thanks for the link, brought up a lot of memories.  Sad that much of my Fantasy Dwarf army has been damaged over the years (constantly moving does a number on the hobby) 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...