Warhammer - The Old World

Gareth 🍄

6 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

You mentioned in another thread that you're pretty new to WFB background. If you want to learn about Malakai, dwarfs, and the Warhammer World in general, there really isn't a better starting point than Bill King's original Gotrek and Felix novels. Malakai doesn't turn up till Dragonslayer, the third book, but you've got to read Skavenslayer to get to it, and Skavenslayer's probably the best Black Library novel ever written.

I know that I will be burned alive but...

I've read the first and second of Gotreks books (don't remember their names). The first one was excelent, small adventures and fancy characters, an "enchanted" tower, a caravan being ambushed, a lovely Chaos story... perfect. It had that obscure feeling that, no matter what you do, it will end badly.

The second one... was hard to finish. Didn't like the skaven-sorcerer characterization (maybe I missremember, but I think the villain was Thanquol?) and the book ended like a 80s movies. 

I have the third one to start, but I need to finish Gitslayer (still early, but I don't like it) and the last chapter of Ghost of Barak Minoz (love it).

Edited by Beliman
grammar
  • Thanks 1

@Beliman it has been a long time since I read any of them, but it wouldn't surprise me if it turned out I no longer enjoy them like I did when I was 17.

I had a similar experience with the Eisenhorn series: I absolutely loved them back then (I reread them so many times), but when I tried to read them again recently they just didn't do it for me anymore. It's not Abnett: I really like his Bequin novels, and his Horus Heresy books as are good as you can expect from a series about child soldiers on steroids having a galaxy spanning civil war because their daddies have daddy issues. I just feel like the world has changed since the Eisenhorn books were written, and they don't quite hit anymore.

I re-read Skavenslayer not that long ago and, for me, still holds up well. That being said, it does leans more towards humor than the previous book (which still had plenty of it on some chapters, mind you) and that might not be for everyone, specially if you aren't used to skaven.

As others have said, thou, Demonslayer is the place to know about Malakai Makaisson. You don't even need to read the whole book, the beginning should do.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Ogregut said:

What's everyone working on for TOW at the moment? 

My vampires are nearly done so trying to figure out what I want to do next. 

Procrastinating cataloguing old dwarfs to rebase and trying to figure out if I can bring myself to strip models I thought looked amazing when I painted them age 12, but have definitely improved past in the intervening decades. :/ 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

Procrastinating cataloguing old dwarfs to rebase and trying to figure out if I can bring myself to strip models I thought looked amazing when I painted them age 12, but have definitely improved past in the intervening decades. :/ 

Take pictures before if you do strip them so you can compare your new paint job. 

I've been painting for 30 odd years now and really wish I had some of my first painted models but alas they are lost to time. 

I'm been thinking about doing a small dwarf force as well, it's one of the armies I never collected first time round. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ogregut said:

What's everyone working on for TOW at the moment? 

A bit of everything:

• Painting 6 more dwarf quarrallers
  • Rebasing a bunch of miniatures: slayers, thunderers, gyros, Irondrakes, heroes and warmachines (all of them need to be painted).
  • Waiting the release of Dwarfs (I need to buy a lot of stuff if I want to legaly play the game).
  • Like 2

I started painting my first batch of Bretonnian bowmen yesterday to test out my planned "TOW style" army scheme.

Contrast is a godsend, I've never gotten yellow to look so good with so little effort.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Davariel said:

I started painting my first batch of Bretonnian bowmen yesterday to test out my planned "TOW style" army scheme.

Contrast is a godsend, I've never gotten yellow to look so good with so little effort.

We want pics!! 

6 hours ago, Sarouan said:

Wondering hard about if I should be more trolling my night goblins army...with a proper troll horde.

The answer is yes! 

6 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

I am waiting for my Bretonian box for more than 3 weeks :(

Frustrating. I've resigned myself that I'll probably have to wait for any of the new releases, tho I have been lucky so far and got the bret box and all books on release day and my orc and goblin journal was dispatched today. 

7 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Double nerfs to Beastmen before I can even play a game lol. Guess some high elf player at GW lost a game or something.

As far as I know, they were the top tier by far.

3 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

As far as I know, they were the top tier by far.

Were they really. Well pardon me. I've only seen them lose on YouTube and don't know where else to look.

Actually where can I see that data? I thought it was the 2+ 4++ dragon armies that were good. I'd love to see what's doing well for beasts.

Edited by The Red King

9 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Were they really. Well pardon me. I've only seen them lose on YouTube and don't know where else to look.

Actually where can I see that data? I thought it was the 2+ 4++ dragon armies that were good. I'd love to see what's doing well for beasts.

I don't following it that much, but someone on WhatsApp mentioned that. While I cannot confirm it, would fit with them being needed.