How have Gw price rises affected your purchasing habits?

Rodiger

55 minutes ago, Arkhanist said:

Lastly, that caveat. The models are very detailed and the layout engineering is basic genius to eliminate seamlines etc, but at the cost of much more monopose design. The legs + torsos are almost always a single layout, only certain arms fit certain torsos; often the only significant decision is which head to pair with which body, so the unit looks very repetitive. It makes conversions and posing significantly tougher, not least as all those detailed dangly bits are moulded across multiple parts so you can't swap things about without major reconstruction; and you have to be good to make it fit in with the existing detail. So you mostly have to like the kit as it comes, and live with the repetition.

I think whether or not this is a downside depends on the individual. Its clear from this thread that actually being able to keep on top of your hobby backlog is a key purchasing factor for a number of people. Having easier to put together models can help significantly reduce the time investment needed to to build a box of models, and it is whilst the box is in its unbuilt stage that it stops me buying more. 

• Like 2

The notable move towards monopose models is also a contributing factor to my increasing unwillingness to drop fat stacks on plastic crack. Having shelled out a fair bit for Chainrasps in 2018, I now have however many of those little buggers repeating the same ten poses over and over again. They're cracking designs, no argument, and the easy to build aspect made getting them out of the sprue and onto their bases a doddle, but... frankly, Clanrats look better, and that's solely down to the tiny facts that you have the option to pair different arms with different bodies, and pose the arms. It's a bit tedious having to remodel my Stormfiends to achieve the bare minimum of the appearance of variation between them. I wish GeeDubs would go back to the system of interchangeable arms, legs, heads, etc which was such a winner, both in terms of model appearance and conversion opportunities.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Kirjava13 said:

The notable move towards monopose models is also a contributing factor to my increasing unwillingness to drop fat stacks on plastic crack. Having shelled out a fair bit for Chainrasps in 2018, I now have however many of those little buggers repeating the same ten poses over and over again. They're cracking designs, no argument, and the easy to build aspect made getting them out of the sprue and onto their bases a doddle, but... frankly, Clanrats look better, and that's solely down to the tiny facts that you have the option to pair different arms with different bodies, and pose the arms. It's a bit tedious having to remodel my Stormfiends to achieve the bare minimum of the appearance of variation between them. I wish GeeDubs would go back to the system of interchangeable arms, legs, heads, etc which was such a winner, both in terms of model appearance and conversion opportunities.

I personally feel most sets offer enough variety in poses and options to customize a head or weapon that it hardly bothers me. What does bother me a lot is that almost every kit nowadays has some super fragile weak spot. Like the corvus cabal, the raven on the head. Eidolon in idoneth - the spear, in fact, anything spear-like tends to just break off.

I have 100+ clanrats with spears, while some tail tips have broken sometimes. I am yet to break a single spear. Stuff is just getting so flimsy and thin XD.

I have to say even with multi-pose models you actually find that you end up with quite a lot of fairly similar poses all told. Unless you go very extreme with joints (which increases complexity, makes it a lot more likely to get glue related accidents and also can make it far slower); multi-pose still end up with practical limitations. 

So I think that easier to build mono-pose but varied pose where each block of models looks different actually works just as well. Yes you get repetition and some can appear a bit odd from time to time; but when put together provided you're not organising like standing next to like every time, it works out quite well.

@Kugane does raise the bigger issue. GW is designing more digitally and that has resulted in a LOT of very thin contact points everywhere. I dread GW updated Slaanesh because of whips and thin long sections of plastic (thank gods whoever made the keeper coiled the whip option up - obviously it wasn't who made the whip on the twin prince model).  These are the sorts of thinks that live sculptors don't "tend" to put into models as much (though slaanesh chariots have lots of long spindly whips...) because they have to hold the darn thing whilst sculpting so super fragile contact points tend to get left out. But with digital its a lot easier to put them in.

I hope GW starts to move away from them. Much as I love models like Khinerai I hate how the whole model is held up on a few mm of long tail. Give them a pillar to fly around to mask the flight or such rather that just fragile points. 

• Like 1

I thought I had already answered, but it seems not to have stuck.

There are a few things holding me back from buying more stuff at the moment:

1. Backlog: I purchased the old collection of a friend, and simply now have more than I planned.
  2. Culling: I wanted Freeguild Archers and Dragon Riders, and now cannot get them, there also were a few other sets that interested me to get more variety that no longer exist.
  3. Price: I think the new factions are way overpriced, which is the only reason I don't have a few steampunk or stripper dwarves lying around.
  4. Uncertainty for the future of my faction: Since GW has not put out a single model, I hesitate to pour more money into Cities. Mercenaries made clear that having rules is not an indicator of continuation of a unit, and many molds are old.

That said, I still have a few things on my "to buy" list, like Shattered Dominion bases, an extra box of Pistoleers and Underworlds sets. The latter is a primary way to get a taste of an army without either being locked into a single troop type, or paying over my "just a taste" budget for a SC/Battlebox thing. They also provide me with D&D characters/monsters (if only they'd do more 25mm bases...).

As for a major point of the original question: Getting a larger percentage of a total army, but with a higher investment in a box isn't appealing to me. Even if those are all units I like. I want to have a small taste which I expand, and pushing that initial investment ever higher makes the chances slimmer that I'll get them.

Battleboxes also have no appeal to me, because I only like one side of the coin, and splitting simply is a bit of a hassle. Increasing the cost makes the hassle more, and edges the same issue as the start collecting ones.

Edited by zilberfrid
  • Like 2

40 dollars for a single commander CAD ahaahha. On top of that my Kharadrons are not great in any sense of the word terrible even. So no I definitely am not buying anything with the insane prices. Not after my new Deathwatch army was invalidated and how ****** they made Tau during the start of 8th. Nah I can tell right now buying all the GW stuff I did was a big mistake and I'll probably end up throwing it away so some other poor hapless soul doesn't sink any money into the company. 

• Sad 1

@Barkanaut don't forget that KO are likely to get a new Tome early next year. Considering that we now know that Slaves to Darkness are dropping in December that means only 4 battletomes need an update in 2020. Seraphon, KO and Tzeentch. Which if GW keeps its current pace up means that we could see all three arrive before the end of March. 

Plus at least KO have a tome, Slaves are about to get their first in 5 or so years of AoS. 

Just now, Overread said:

@Barkanaut don't forget that KO are likely to get a new Tome early next year. Considering that we now know that Slaves to Darkness are dropping in December that means only 4 battletomes need an update in 2020. Seraphon, KO and Tzeentch. Which if GW keeps its current pace up means that we could see all three arrive before the end of March. 

Plus at least KO have a tome, Slaves are about to get their first in 5 or so years of AoS. 

Its a tomb so bad its practically irrelevant lol. It's like saying to two people who need to use the washroom. Well at least YOU have a single tiny piece of toilet paper. 

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Barkanaut said:

Its a tomb so bad its practically irrelevant lol. It's like saying to two people who need to use the washroom. Well at least YOU have a single tiny piece of toilet paper. 

Lol yes many of the early Tomes were more a panic reaction by GW and from what I gather are mostly just warscrolls and not much else. But at least you did get one ;). Besides KO are at least one of the safest armies and exceptionally unlikely to lose anything. Though waiting a lot of years is painful the pain should soon be ending! 

"How have Gw price rises affected your purchasing habits?"

Well ... positively overall to be honest. I've stopped building a huge backlog and only buy the boxes I want to build and paint next. Probably not what GW intended and it doesn't really save me money, but it's definitely a healthier approach for the hobby. :D 

I mainly just buy more from Amazon/eBay now.  I also now actively avoid the official GW store in my area because they offer no form of discount.  My other LGSs offer ~15% discounts so that keeps me going to them occasionally.  Prior to the increases, I used to go to the GW sometimes (and even purchase things sometimes), and I bought online less frequently.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Panzer said:

To be fair, I've never ordered from GW directly. In germany we have several stores you can order online for a 10-20 percent discount.

Do you know any that have Cities stuff? Fantasywelt does have it, but at 6% discount instead of the usual 12% for other factions.

1 minute ago, zilberfrid said:

Do you know any that have Cities stuff? Fantasywelt does have it, but at 6% discount instead of the usual 12% for other factions.

I'd have to check myself, but try kutami or taschengelddieb. I particularly recommend kutami. They usually have a 20% discount and I never had any problems ordering from them.

10 minutes ago, Panzer said:

I'd have to check myself, but try kutami or taschengelddieb. I particularly recommend kutami. They usually have a 20% discount and I never had any problems ordering from them.

Thanks Kutami has quite a few things that I want to buy, at better discounts than other places I have tried.

• Like 1

GW has always been an expensive hobby, and compared to smoking it is a much better deal, it's cheaper, it lasts longer, and it doesn't kill you, but unlike with a price rise in smokes which at least you know is designed to make you stop and the taxes will go the the nhs (if you live in the uk) but with this price rise I didn't feel like I was getting anything out of it, and this has been another reason which has affected my spending. We all know GW have had some record years for profits, and that has just made it feel like a cash grab. It doesn't feel like an inflation adjusting price rise, I am not getting something better, I'm not getting more, and in most cases I'm just getting the same thing. Thankfully I am in a position where the price rises haven't stopped me being able to afford to buy anything extra, it is more I now feel like I am getting ripped off. And as VBS said on here before, 'having money to spend is not a reason to get ripped off'.

From reading through all this, which I am finding very interesting. It seems people who generally spend less are not as bothered by the price rises, and people who spend more are, which shouldn't come as a shock to anyone. Maybe the ones who do spend more are being moved into the spend less bracket.

I wish I had access to those 'cheap' online stores. They make me want to cry anytime I go on them. ( I'm a British expat if this is confusing to why I appear to be British but with no access to these stores btw)

• Like 2

My own spending habits has also changed after the price increase, even though I´m not the biggest spender. Most likely as I collect and often convert rather than am here for the game part of the hobby. Before it was quite common that I "accidentally" bought a cool kit that I hadn't planned for when the spending urge got to me. But now those extra kits are tossed to the side even before I start to browse and I have started to cull more ruthlessly even in the kits I have plans for.

Now with this said I tend to spend less money on GW but my hobby expenses hasn't dropped. I rather are spending the difference on other companies tied to this hobby instead.  That goes for mainly paints, brushes and accessories but miniatures can also be included in this if I find something that catches my fancy.

I don´t think that was what GW intended but once a part of their customer base gets accustomed to buy their hobby supplies from other sources it can´t be good for their bottom line and getting those customers back can´t be easy.

It's certainly affected my spending habits, since Carrion Empire and the Gloomspite box I've spent less than £150 for the reasons below;

I feel that because of the constant spam of releases (yes I'm calling it that) I've certainly not spent as much as I would've before and this is because GW are pushing a product that is being touted as "limited" when in reality you could've got the parts seperately before, however you do save money in a bundle.... BUT on the flipside I'm not happy with GW artificially inflating the prices by using single models as justification as to why you NEED to buy Army X vs Army Y box because Dave the Wizard isnt going to be out for a while as an individual model.

At this point in the calendar year I'm going to wait for the new xmas stuff to see which I'm moderately interested in, otherwise it'll be the odd purchase here and there but one of my major considerations of an army is now what's the price of the models, what's the variety like and does their SC box hold value - I'm not tight but GW's products are going up in price and there seem's to be no consistency in their releases, it's very scattergun and the "limited" releases definately feel like you'll get model envy if your mate buys Feast of Bones or one of the MANY other boxed sets that's appearing.

Not to sound super anti GW, but there are some alternative manufacturers and game systems I'm happily enjoying because of GW's rampant growth (Magic ftw) Warmahordes, Guild Ball etc, heck I've played Airsoft more in the last 5 months than the last 2 years because 2 boxes of GW's "limited" product is the price of a mid range AEG.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, j0lt said:

It's certainly affected my spending habits, since Carrion Empire and the Gloomspite box I've spent less than £150 for the reasons below;

I feel that because of the constant spam of releases (yes I'm calling it that) I've certainly not spent as much as I would've before and this is because GW are pushing a product that is being touted as "limited" when in reality you could've got the parts seperately before, however you do save money in a bundle.... BUT on the flipside I'm not happy with GW artificially inflating the prices by using single models as justification as to why you NEED to buy Army X vs Army Y box because Dave the Wizard isnt going to be out for a while as an individual model.

At this point in the calendar year I'm going to wait for the new xmas stuff to see which I'm moderately interested in, otherwise it'll be the odd purchase here and there but one of my major considerations of an army is now what's the price of the models, what's the variety like and does their SC box hold value - I'm not tight but GW's products are going up in price and there seem's to be no consistency in their releases, it's very scattergun and the "limited" releases definately feel like you'll get model envy if your mate buys Feast of Bones or one of the MANY other boxed sets that's appearing.

Not to sound super anti GW, but there are some alternative manufacturers and game systems I'm happily enjoying because of GW's rampant growth (Magic ftw) Warmahordes, Guild Ball etc, heck I've played Airsoft more in the last 5 months than the last 2 years because 2 boxes of GW's "limited" product is the price of a mid range AEG.

Speaking of magic, it seems to be quite a trend with these big corporations to keep increasing the price on stuff. I wonder if GW saw what Hasbro is doing with rediculously priced collector edition MTG stuff and went "You know what? We can do that too!"

7 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

Big panda V has a 10% discount on everything if I remember correctly.

@Kugane gw is just the same as old gw concerning prices. Do you remember about 6-8 years ago when the annual price increase usually was a mere 50% increase? Or how they dialed that up to a 300% price increase by halfing the amount of models while raising the price by 50%? Good times, and here they go again. So much for „new GW“.

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 2

@JackStreicher halving box content was something that still baffles me XD.

I hope they somehow stumble upon this thread and perhaps reconsider current choices. I am even tempted to mail them a link to come check it out, because the overal consensus seems to be showing that people are actively buying less due to the price increases. 

Edited by Kugane

2 minutes ago, Kugane said:

@JackStreicher halving box content was something that still baffles me XD.

I hope they somehow stumble upon this thread and perhaps reconsider current choices. I am even tempted to mail them a link to come check it out, because the overal consensus seems to be showing that people are actively buying less due to the price increases. 

The few guys of the design teams might see it but that info would never reach the shareholders and even if: like they‘d quit their greed due to 5% of their customers buying less due to their pricing. Gw Consumers habe always proven to react very un-elastic concerning price increases

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

The few guys of the design teams might see it but that info would never reach the shareholders and even if: like they‘d quit their greed due to 5% of their customers buying less due to their pricing. Gw Consumers habe always proven to react very un-elastic concerning price increases

Fair enough :/

Every company keeps increasing their prices as much as possible. GW is not an exception. It stops when they reach the point where it won't return in them getting more money at the end of the day.

Also it's very much not old GW in that these days it's basically unthinkable for GW to release a box without savings, however that was very much the norm back then.

A lot has changed in the past few years and almost everything for the better. That some things remained the same is just natural. They are still the same company after all.

• Like 1