AoS 2 Cities of Sigmar Discussion: Hallowheart

TheNotebookGM

I use a Hurricanum with Ignax's Scales nearby as the 'nexus' of the Channeling, so the General isn't in any risk (from those MW, at least). I then cast Sear Wounds on the Hurricanum from another Wizard to keep it topped up.

I've got 4 wizards so I don't feel like I'm hurting too badly for the number of unbind/dispels I can attempt, but being able to Dispel the Comet a 4+ on 2d6 means I can slam it back down almost every turn.

49 minutes ago, Galamund said:

I use a Hurricanum with Ignax's Scales nearby as the 'nexus' of the Channeling, so the General isn't in any risk (from those MW, at least). I then cast Sear Wounds on the Hurricanum from another Wizard to keep it topped up.

I've got 4 wizards so I don't feel like I'm hurting too badly for the number of unbind/dispels I can attempt, but being able to Dispel the Comet a 4+ on 2d6 means I can slam it back down almost every turn.

Yep but only one model can grab spell hunter and so your missing out on a 2nd unbinder. 

• Like 1

After playing today and failing I thought of a different list.

I don't own any phoenix temple units unfortunately, and I would also like to have a list that worked without.

It's 6 drops, which in the games I have played so far would give me mostly turn one.

The two battlemages and Knight-Incantor is setup together in the middle with the 40 guards in front. The Hurricanum is setup together with the handgunners slightly to the side.

Got the pistoliers and demigryphs together on one flank for point grabbing.

Turn one I spellportal and soulscream bridge to strike their leaders. Hopefully killing some in turn one. I also shackle their melee units to give my handgunners some time.

Questions:
- I'm not sure who to make my Arcane Channeling battery. As I plan it, the Hurricanum is not with the other mages so can't be that unit. Got it as the Knight-Incantor right now, but then he doesn't get the buff for the comet. On the other hand the Battlemages seems a bit weak as a general

- The Retinue situation is a bit similar. I was thinking of holding some hand-gunners back near the mage-battery, but perhaps those should be swapped for other units? 

EDIT: I thought of lowering the 40 guards to two groups of 10 (since I need 3 Battleline) and removing the 10 handgunners. By doing that I can add another unit of Demigryphs, make 10 of the guards Retinue, and change the Quicksilver Swords to Emerald Lifeswarm. 

image.png.b63ff65f451f3c6ed5285d85d7705e94.png

Edited by Rune

I think you want to find room for a freeguild general... You have a lot of infantry he could buff. I also think you might be a little to all in on magic too...for example, with the hurricanum and cp, do you really need the whitefire retinue? If you are using the retinue to lower your drops for a good turn pick, do you really need both spell portal and bridge to alpha turn 1?

300 pts of endless spells and then another 140 of battalion is quite a lot of other bodies. 

If you need more Battleline consider breaking up the handgunners. The sniper rifles seem good for finishing off lone models that survived your spells

On 10/14/2019 at 1:41 AM, Skreech Verminking said:

Yeah, the last few times I played khorne in that setting.

first turn started with my opponent shooting my army to oblivion.

and on the second turn I had nothing on the table.

and for some reason it is basically what always happens, when I play a game of 40k, against different players and different armies (although I’ve been playing mostly against space marine, Tau, Imps and craftworld eldar)

sounds very balanced to me.

yeah, In total, calling 40k better balanced then aos, is something I would call a myth.

If this is your experience then it is a problem with your scenery. 40k is balanced around the presumption that there is plenty of LoS blocking terrain. If the field is mostly clear, shooting armies have a tremendous advantage over close combat ones.

On 10/16/2019 at 11:24 AM, Chumphammer said:

2: I think its alright, but I dont know if its really needed. my sorceress is already going to be on +2 due to stabbing darkshards. I am also getting + to cast from Arcane channeling. So vs most armies I should be fine with what I have, and I dont really need the item as Gotrek/PG doing most the work.

Personally, I mainly value the battalion for the +1 to unbind. Hallowheart is loaded with cast bonuses so an extra +1 is trivial, but having all your wizards at +1 to unbind is a huge jump in anti magic proficiency.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, themortalgod said:

Personally, I mainly value the battalion for the +1 to unbind. Hallowheart is loaded with cast bonuses so an extra +1 is trivial, but having all your wizards at +1 to unbind is a huge jump in anti magic proficiency.

Hmm yeah, I forgot about the +1 to unbind

4 hours ago, themortalgod said:

If this is your experience then it is a problem with your scenery. 40k is balanced around the presumption that there is plenty of LoS blocking terrain. If the field is mostly clear, shooting armies have a tremendous advantage over close combat ones.

Lets not necro off topic conversations that have open and active thread on more closely related subjects else where. 

4 hours ago, themortalgod said:

+1 to unbind is a huge jump in anti magic proficiency.

I don't value unbind super super highly, but it is a really nice bonus on the magic low armies. Your usualy more likely to have your opponent fail to cast thier own spell than for you to unbind it with out some serious bind power at your back. 

Hello Guys ! 

After reading you, and also reading this amazing book, here's my take on the Hallowheart City. Please note that I want to go in tournaments with a Hallowheart list, so I want to have something efficient.

The idea is to have a Runelord as general, with Famed Spell-Hunter as trait & Whitefire Tome - Ignite weapons. He will dispell the endless spells & cast spell/prayers to boost the longbeards
Luminark is here for the 6++, the amazing PHA spell and the +1 to dispell. He will also takes the 1d6MW to boost the casting.
Knight Incantor with Everblaze will advance close to the Runelord. This group will be my anchor with the 30 longbeards (3+ reroll 1, 6++, -1 to be hit)

Sorceress will serve as a more mobile electron with the 10 Dreadspears. 

The Battlemage of Azyr on Balewind will be here to cast 3d3MW every turn, sitting on a objective with 10 Freeguild guards. 

The 40 Freeguilds will serve as objectives holders.

Finally the 10 Shadow Warriors will serve as a threat/objective stealers

SpellHunter.pdf

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grimaldus said:

Hello Guys ! 

After reading you, and also reading this amazing book, here's my take on the Hallowheart City. Please note that I want to go in tournaments with a Hallowheart list, so I want to have something efficient.

The idea is to have a Runelord as general, with Famed Spell-Hunter as trait & Whitefire Tome - Ignite weapons. He will dispell the endless spells & cast spell/prayers to boost the longbeards
Luminark is here for the 6++, the amazing PHA spell and the +1 to dispell. He will also takes the 1d6MW to boost the casting.
Knight Incantor with Everblaze will advance close to the Runelord. This group will be my anchor with the 30 longbeards (3+ reroll 1, 6++, -1 to be hit)

Sorceress will serve as a more mobile electron with the 10 Dreadspears. 

The Battlemage of Azyr on Balewind will be here to cast 3d3MW every turn, sitting on a objective with 10 Freeguild guards. 

The 40 Freeguilds will serve as objectives holders.

Finally the 10 Shadow Warriors will serve as a threat/objective stealers

SpellHunter.pdf 5.73 MB · 2 downloads

Quick note to your list. You can't make the longbeards your honoured Retinue as they have to be between 5-20 models.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Grimaldus said:

I came up with the same idea. The Runelord would be able to immediately dispel an endless spell after one of your wizards cast it and effects were resolved so there's a very high chance it won't accidently harm you in a following turn. The rule that endless spells are dispelled at the beginning of your hero phase only applies to WIZARDS and the Runelord is not a WIZARD. His rule just says "in the hero phase" so you can dispel anytime in the hero phase. In addition the Famed Spellhunter trait allows him to dispel 2 endless spells at +2 each hero phase.

Edited by Duke of Gisoreux
  • Like 3

Thanks Rune ! It's a mistake/typo, I think the dreadspears would act as retinue. Or the 10 freeguild guard - I will need to play a few games to decide.

18 minutes ago, Duke of Gisoreux said:

I came up with the same idea. The Runelord would be able to immediately dispel an endless spell after one of your wizards cast it and effects were resolved so there's a very high chance it won't accidently harm you in a following turn. The rule that endless spells are dispelled at the beginning of your hero phase only applies to WIZARDS and the Runelord is not a WIZARD. His rule just says "in the hero phase" so you can dispel anytime in the hero phase. In addition the Famed Spellhunter trait allows him to dispel 2 endless spells at +2 each hero phase.

Oh, never thought of that. This can be great indeed ! No FAQ or errata against that ? 

Could be good for the lifeswarm, to make sure the ennemy doesn't use it for him.

I'm testing my new list this Saturday. 

Don't have any duardin or aelves. I've just got the dudes with the feathers.

Going with just three wizards, however, buffing one with a Balewind, which will still give me 7 spells a turn.

It's a shooting list with the soulscream bridge.

Turn one I am casting the following spells, buffing my own dudes and nerfing his. Also casting Hold the Line from the general and the volley command ability (re-rolling 1s)

Warding Brand Knight-Incantor
Cast Phas Protection Battlemage
Cast Crystal Aegis Hurricanum
Cast Comet Knight-Incantor
Cast Soulscream bridge Battlemage
Cast Geminids Hurricanum

Turn two it is time for the damage spells:

Cast Balewind Vortex Battlemage
Cast Elemental Cyclone Battlemage
Cast Roamind Wildfire Battlemage
Dispel comet Knight-Incantor
Cast Geminids Hurricanum
Crystal Aegis Hurricanum

WarscrollBuilderList (7).pdf

1 hour ago, mmimzie said:

@Rune @Grimaldus

Famed spell hunter does not give you bonuses to unbind unless you are a wizard. Otherwise it only gives you an extra unbind. Just putting that out there, you might already know this.

Spell Hunter doesnt but the runelord has a +2 bonus for dispel and for unbind and it is not limited so a runelord with famed spell hunter can unbind 2 endless with +2

17 hours ago, Rune said:

I'm testing my new list this Saturday. 

Don't have any duardin or aelves. I've just got the dudes with the feathers.

Going with just three wizards, however, buffing one with a Balewind, which will still give me 7 spells a turn.

It's a shooting list with the soulscream bridge.

Turn one I am casting the following spells, buffing my own dudes and nerfing his. Also casting Hold the Line from the general and the volley command ability (re-rolling 1s)

Warding Brand Knight-Incantor
Cast Phas Protection Battlemage
Cast Crystal Aegis Hurricanum
Cast Soulscream bridge Battlemage
Cast Geminids Hurricanum

Turn two it is time for the damage spells:

Cast Balewind Vortex Battlemage
Cast Elemental Cyclone Battlemage
Cast Roamind Wildfire Battlemage
Dispel comet Knight-Incantor
Cast Geminids Hurricanum
Crystal Aegis Hurricanum

WarscrollBuilderList (7).pdf 5.73 MB · 12 downloads

My only fear is that you rely a lot on 1 spell that can easily dispell

11 hours ago, Grimaldus said:

My only fear is that you rely a lot on 1 spell that can easily dispell

Depending on how you've built your list you can double pump the command ability for more bonuses to cast. The real fear is the knight incantor, and that's more an issue of out deploying them. 

Double command ability is less realistic if your opponent goes first as your heros might take some punches, but in that case likely you don't need to hop on the balewind. 

I noticed most Hallowheart lists tend to shy away from Dispossessed units. Since I have a big collection of ye olde WHFB models of that variety and Hallowheart is the City I'm eyeing up (mainly for the colour scheme), which of their units is generally considered the most useful to bring along?

Edited by Clan's Cynic

1 hour ago, Clan's Cynic said:

I noticed most Hallowheart lists tend to shy away from Dispossessed units. Since I have a big collection of ye olde WHFB models of that variety and Hallowheart is the City I'm eyeing up (mainly for the colour scheme), which of their units is generally considered the most useful to bring along?

The number one is gonna be long beards.  They allow you to out of sequence  dispel endless spells. Meaning you can cast a purple sun then dispell it that same turn. 

They are also good tanks.

Irondrakes also hit really hard and with the bridge or boat tr ou can move they into range.

Gyrocopters and bombers are just good.

• Like 1

1225213017_Beztytuu.png.7233a474f6eedffedda9ac20bbbe39fc.png
I think list from Blood and Glory game 5 looked something like this.
CoS vs Khorne and it wasn't even close ... in turn 2 bloodthirster ,skarbrand , unit of wrathmogers ,slaughterprist  were dead (and something else Khorne had 5 blood points) , game ended in round 4 and CoS did not lose a single model.

Edited by Grunaldi
  • Like 1