The Rumour Thread

Just now, RetconnedLegion said:

When the Lord of the Rings was first licensed, the tabletop game outsold 40K and WHFB combined. Because the films were still in the cinema, and later seeing the dvd release, tons of people wanted merchandise and it brought people into GW to buy models who had previously never touched wargaming. 

A super popular 40K adaptation could very well see a similar boost to sales. Like LOTR, it won’t last forever, but the bubble will pay for a lot of new toys before it burst just like LOTR paid for advances in plastic design and casting.

Yeah, but GW has become a more luxury item since then. I think both those points are the big pillars that GW have to fight to become something mainstream.

3 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Yeah, but GW has become a more luxury item since then. I think both those points are the big pillars that GW have to fight to become something mainstream.

It was always a luxury item. I think you’re underestimating the human desire to buy stuff when they like a tv show.

I own a Sonic Spork because of a tv show.

A spork.

Edited by RetconnedLegion
  • Haha 8

8 minutes ago, RetconnedLegion said:

It was always a luxury item. I think you’re underestimating the human desire to buy stuff when they like a tv show.

A spork.

Exactly. People are buying magic wands because of Harry Potter, yet they have no practical use and are not as fancy looking on shelves as for example some movies or anime figures. Good marketing can drive people buy everything just because the concept is too good. So I guess if Warhammer TV show succeeds then GW will see a major flow into its main product.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, RetconnedLegion said:

A spork.

I don't think 15 years ago they where that luxury items in comparison. Either that or in Spain the prices/ salaries have changed drastically, which could be another reason to explain this perception.

48 minutes ago, Ookami said:

Exactly. People are buying magic wands because of Harry Potter, yet they have no practical use and are not as fancy looking on shelves as for example some movies or anime figures. Good marketing can drive people buy everything just because the concept is too good. So I guess if Warhammer TV show succeeds then GW will see a major flow into its main product.

IMO it is not comparable unless you are a hard fan who buys all the wands out there. I have a 300 $ lightsaber from Disneyland right behind me. Fits its purpose. Makes my shelves cooler. If it would be a Joy Toy I would buy the idea, but not for minis which you have to paint.

13 hours ago, Ganigumo said:

Its not a statement on which armies should get updates, but I think there are a lot of signs for a gitz release. If it was based on need Fyreslayers and Ogors would be at the top. We all know popular armies get way more support though, and I think they underestimated the popularity of gitz before they released.

@Whitefang Liked this. Im fairly certain Gitz will be getting something substantial in 4.0. Maybe a Sylvaneth sized wave.

3 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

Would it be that crazy to have two very differentiated Grots armies? If we have Aelves and Duardins, why not? Destro really needs some expansion.

Let me tell you the tale of those that dont speak...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RetconnedLegion said:

A spork.

a sprok is really useful, its a spoon and a fork, ti does the work of two utensils in one!. 

2 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I kind of feel that if spiders were out, they would have gone at the same time as Bonesplitters.

There are 'last chance to order' kits that did not get a mention in the announcement. BUT, saying that, sure, let's hope that if they get discontinued, we hear about it with enough heads up warning.

2 hours ago, Malakithe said:

Hopefully Amazon learned a lot from the Fallout show. Never ever ever pick a very specific area/time/character and try to recreate it. Thats what all the other shows did and failed. 40k lore is so expansive they can do exactly the same thing as Fallout...just pick a random place, make a new story entirely with new characters. 

My fear is, like so many shows before, they will focus on a well known established character and butcher it. 

I feel like they should just ask the Astartes guy to pitch something. A single creator managed to pull off something really unique with tons of cool scenes/visuals. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MitGas said:

I feel like they should just ask the Astartes guy to pitch something. A single creator managed to pull off something really unique with tons of cool scenes/visuals. 

Wasn't he part of the initial W+ team but left because he was not in the same line with the GW team running it?

4 hours ago, Marcvs said:

Yes there's a rumour... coming out of a random 4chan post... Which ends with "my father works at Nintendo". It says a lot about the level of the debate really.

The past few days made me feel so happy that AoS, for all it's flaws, is not saddled with with the "boys club" lore.

Well, the Nintendo line is the guy obviously taking the ****** outta it. I just summarized what I‘ve seen on YT. 

I think Fallout has been a decent adaption, I‘m not a huge Fallout fan bit played some of the games and that show gave me hope for 40k. The single one comment in all the debate that really annoyed me on Youtube was that Fallout‘s Brotherhood of Steel was the inspiration for GW. 😂

Just now, Ejecutor said:

Wasn't he part of the initial W+ team but left because he was not in the same line with the GW team running it?

I read he got hired but don‘t know if he still works there or what he worked on. It wouldn‘t surprise me if he didn‘t get the appreciation he should be getting in the corpo world though. Seen that happen with lots of artists unfortunately. 

3 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

Do we even know if there is going to be Cusdones in the show or what it will be about?

No idea, I feel like a show with lots of Custodes sounds like it would be a sitcom in the Emperor‘s palace as they‘re not exactly the kind of force that travels the galaxy… but perhaps they will feature heavily to make Cavill happy? 

Maybe they go the Altered Carbon route with having an outsider like an Inquisitor come into the setting and that just happens to be somewhere where Custodes are present?