The Rumour Thread

51 minutes ago, Jagged Red Lines said:

Interestingly, THWG talked on the show the other day about new 3d printers that print pre-coloured minis. Although these exist now, the upcoming new generation offer resolution high enough that its the equivalent of a Golden Demon paint job.

Makes you wonder whether GW will still be around in 50 years, or even 10 years. Or if it is, what it's business model will look like.

The GW vs 3D printers debate has been around for a long time, and it will be. 3D printing is not that easy yet. And it won't be anytime soon. I consider it another aspect of the hobby, but unless all the toxics of the resin printing are completely removed from the equation and printing itself turns into something as simple as printing a document, it won't be a massive problem for any miniatures company.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Beliman said:

Fallout 4 had an increase of 7500% after their shows release. If GW can have a healthier community for 40k, and its show is good enough, pretty sure that it will be a win/win in a mid and long term.

We cannot compare how easy is to pick and play a game compared to miniature painting. Obviously, it could help pump the sales, but it won't be that big.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Which has been the biggest retcon so far?

I'm decidedly not a fan of the emperor's new backstory in the heresy with there being multiple perpetuals as people from Earth's history. Another recent thing was the shift in timeline of events, where they initially in 8th kinda brushed over the indomitus crusade but then jumped back and put the plague wars further into the future.

11 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

We cannot compare how easy is to pick and play a game compared to miniature painting. Obviously, it could help pump the sales, but it won't be that big.

I didn't say that it will be the same. But we can see that there is an effect in the global market that can push sales.

12 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

It worked for their middle earth range until the bubble bursted.

1 hour ago, RetconnedLegion said:

The YouTuber is wrong. Custodes are selected at birth, for their genetic suitability and built from the ground up. 
That to me is one of the biggest ironies of the whinging. Half of those complaining of fluff changes don’t even know the fluff they supposedly care so much about.

I agree.  Hearing a woman be applauded in her comments for poo-poo-ing the idea of genetically-enhanced superbabies was very weird to me.

20 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Or maybe Krethusa starts convincing Melusais to join her cause. Never say never.

I shall not say never, after all Covens of Blood has an example of traitors who are both Medusae and Melusai.  And as long as we can flex the list-building to make a force that we can proudly support thematically and in what we field...
Holy moly I LOVE this game!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jagged Red Lines said:

Interestingly, THWG talked on the show the other day about new 3d printers that print pre-coloured minis. Although these exist now, the upcoming new generation offer resolution high enough that its the equivalent of a Golden Demon paint job.

Makes you wonder whether GW will still be around in 50 years, or even 10 years. Or if it is, what it's business model will look like.

The photograph has been around for a while but we still have paintings. If there's a change it will be that commission painters will struggle but anyone who enjoys creativity will still want to buy unpainted minis. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, novakai said:

Did we every get that rumor about Warhammer underworld was being retire because of low sells?

and that Warcry was also not performing as well so they are rebranding it next year with a mordheim esque setting with skaven vs city of sigmar?

Again: STOP BELIEVING 4CHAN SHITPOSTING.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 12

56 minutes ago, Beliman said:

Fallout 4 had an increase of 7500% after their shows release. If GW can have a healthier community for 40k, and its show is good enough, pretty sure that it will be a win/win in a mid and long term.

Counterpoint: If Amazon's show is any good, it will bring to 40K a wave of healthier, new community.

I think GW knows exactly what their customer base is. If there's one thing they know how to make, it's money. So if they are taking an open stance pretty much against the gatekeeping neckbeards, it means they're already treating them as as a dying breed. They might be vocal, but they're economically insignificant to the company. GW are done with nerds, they want to open up to the mainstream, and they will use the Amazon series as one of the tools to get there.

And the success of the Fallout couldn't have been timed any better for them.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Chikout said:

The photograph has been around for a while but we still have paintings. If there's a change it will be that commission painters will struggle but anyone who enjoys creativity will still want to buy unpainted minis. 

if models came pre-painted i'd quit the hobby right then and there lol.  i don't get what the obsession is with replacing the human in art!  why the hell would you want to engage with something that somebody couldn't even be bothered to make?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bethebee said:

if models came pre-painted i'd quit the hobby right then and there lol.  i don't get what the obsession is with replacing the human in art!  why the hell would you want to engage with something that somebody couldn't even be bothered to make?

Some people enjoy the painting aspect, and there are others who just think about it as a step you have to suffer in order to play games. Pre-painted minis would be a blessing for the latest.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Grungnisson said:

Counterpoint: If Amazon's show is any good, it will bring to 40K a wave of healthier, new community.

That's exactly my point:

Remove the toxic community and GW will have an "smaller" (still, biggest commmunity on the market) but healthier. Wait for the incoming new people (that will be a lot better recieved, because, you know, gatekeepers and people like that are out) and create a new community from there.

• Like 1

Hopefully Amazon learned a lot from the Fallout show. Never ever ever pick a very specific area/time/character and try to recreate it. Thats what all the other shows did and failed. 40k lore is so expansive they can do exactly the same thing as Fallout...just pick a random place, make a new story entirely with new characters. 

My fear is, like so many shows before, they will focus on a well known established character and butcher it. 

• Like 2

The warhammer hobby is so vast that the show could have an impact on video games, novels, merchandise as well as their mainline miniature games and model kits. Parents will buy kits for their kids as well, so it could have a reasonable impact all round.

Other than X-wing, pre-painted minis don't sell.

I also know GW experimented with it internally and didn't back it. 

Edited by Starfyre

37 minutes ago, Grungnisson said:

I think GW knows exactly what their customer base is. If there's one thing they know how to make, it's money. So if they are taking an open stance pretty much against the gatekeeping neckbeards, it means they're already treating them as as a dying breed. They might be vocal, but they're economically insignificant to the company. GW are done with nerds, they want to open up to the mainstream, and they will use the Amazon series as one of the tools to get there.

And the success of the Fallout couldn't have been timed any better for them.

While I love painting mini's, painting mini's will never become mainstream.

It will be a niche for eternity.😉 

And pre-painted mini's are doomed to fail.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, bethebee said:

Other people playing pre-painted miniatures doesn't really take away from the enjoyment that I get from customizing my own army, honestly. I don't think GW will ever go for selling pre-paints, but I really don't have much of an issue with other people only enjoying some parts of the Warhammer hobby, but not others. I also don't get angry at people who play netlists or, in the future, Spearheads. I get that list building is not fun for everyone.

Edited by Neil Arthur Hotep

8 minutes ago, Starfyre said:

The warhammer hobby is so vast that the show could have an impact on video games, novels, merchandise as well as their mainline miniature games and model kits. Parents will buy kits for their kids as well, so it could have a reasonable impact all round.

Other than X-wing, pre-painted minis don't sell.

I also know GW experimented with it internally and didn't back it. 

Talking about pre-painted minis:

The result and durability are quite surprising on those sprues from Archon Studios. Wouldn't be that mad to think that GW would have a line of pre-painted models.

I just finished the Fallout show yesterday and it was so good that it filled me with a lot of hope for the Warhammer shows. I wouldn't mind them doing a adaptation of existing stories as there is a certain series I could see lending very well to that idea (Gotrek and Felix) but I'm assuming we'll see a 40k show first, from which I hope they would maybe take some inspiration from ASTARTES, make it very self contained and really show the weirdness of the unvierse. I'd also like to see a high budget animated show in the vein of Invincible coming from 40k, maybe more xenos focused. The warhammer+ shows are of questionable quality, not to be critical of the animators themselves as I'm assuming they didn't have a lot of resources to work with. Otherwise I'm very hopeful of what will come from this collaboration.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Tonhel said:

Boy, will you be shocked when you hear about all the books, video games, in-house animations, and an Amazon live action TV series GW is involved with...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Tonhel said:

It will be a niche for eternity.😉 

With the trajectory of how D&D is heading, it already kind of is? Well, not on the scale of army painting but we're heading there.

12 minutes ago, pitzok said:

I just finished the Fallout show yesterday and it was so good that it filled me with a lot of hope for the Warhammer shows. I wouldn't mind them doing a adaptation of existing stories as there is a certain series I could see lending very well to that idea (Gotrek and Felix) but I'm assuming we'll see a 40k show first, from which I hope they would maybe take some inspiration from ASTARTES, make it very self contained and really show the weirdness of the unvierse. I'd also like to see a high budget animated show in the vein of Invincible coming from 40k, maybe more xenos focused. The warhammer+ shows are of questionable quality, not to be critical of the animators themselves as I'm assuming they didn't have a lot of resources to work with. Otherwise I'm very hopeful of what will come from this collaboration.

Another pretty solid example was Pariah Nexus. It was short but pretty solid. And a pretty interesting ending.

15 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Talking about pre-painted minis:

The result and durability are quite surprising on those sprues from Archon Studios. Wouldn't be that mad to think that GW would have a line of pre-painted models.

Never heard of them, but those look good.

I know GW explored pre-paints internally (I used to work for Ronnie Renton who ran the design studio at GW among other things), and decided against it. That was a while ago now though. Who knows, but I don't think it'll happen.

1 hour ago, Ejecutor said:

When the Lord of the Rings was first licensed, the tabletop game outsold 40K and WHFB combined. Because the films were still in the cinema, and later seeing the dvd release, tons of people wanted merchandise and it brought people into GW to buy models who had previously never touched wargaming. 

A super popular 40K adaptation could very well see a similar boost to sales. Like LOTR, it won’t last forever, but the bubble will pay for a lot of new toys before it burst just like LOTR paid for advances in plastic design and casting.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Starfyre said:

Never heard of them, but those look good.

I know GW explored pre-paints internally (I used to work for Ronnie Renton who ran the design studio at GW among other things), and decided against it. That was a while ago now though. Who knows, but I don't think it'll happen.

Moving to prepainted miniatures has been the death-knell for multiple companies.

• Like 1