The Rumour Thread

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

wouldn't an Enslaver outbreak be much higher up than Necromunda though? i got the impression the Inquisition or Grey Knights dealth with Enslavers because they apparently mass-mind control humans. Seems strange to put them in a ganger game

The Dust Wall that quarantines Hive Secondus from the rest of Necromunda was originally built and maintained by the Guard, Administratum and Space Marines, so maybe it was originally a known problem they're content with keeping trapped? It's also possible the Enslavers were there without them knowing and only the adventurers now stupid enough to breach the quarantine are the ones to discover it (and probably die horribly before revealing it to anyone).

Edited by Clan's Cynic

18 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

wouldn't an Enslaver outbreak be much higher up than Necromunda though? i got the impression the Inquisition or Grey Knights dealth with Enslavers because they apparently mass-mind control humans. Seems strange to put them in a ganger game

IIRC Enslavers are controlling untrained psykers who dabble into the warp and use their victim’s bodies to create a warpgate so that more enslavers can enter the real world. Since it‘s pretty much game over once they do and the Imperium would probably instantly go full exterminatus on the system, I‘m not sure if this creature will be an enslaver, despite looking quite similar to them. 🤔 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mutton said:

Been a while since we've had any solid rumors and/or leaks. Perhaps all of the AoS leakers have been rounded up into the GW dungeons.

Apparently not leakers for 40K because Valrek posted a leak/ rumor that Emperor Children should be releasing next year. He also posted the units being release witch includes a Cultist unit but no New Eidolon 

2 hours ago, Pizzaprez said:

Gryph-wolf is sick; lines up with the creepier gryph-mounts we saw

There are two major schools of thought with Warhammer narratives (both Fantasy and Sci Fi) where, with it being a setting in which people are actively encouraged to write up their own fan fiction factions, events, and histories

On one hand, you can set the nuclear clock to "ten minutes to midnight" and never touch it. The setting won't move forward, and anything "new" needs to be retconned as somehow "always existing, just hadn't been mentioned yet." This approach has some benefits: the setting is established, you know the apocalypse is coming, and you can pick anywhere in "history" to set Your Dudes. 

Famously, this approach backfired a few times in 40k. There was a particularly divisive Grey Knights release that invented all sorts of brand-new stuff for them and had to twist things into knots to explain why they suddenly had them. Fantasy sort of played with an "end times" with Storm of Magic, but GW lightly reset the clock there to right before Archaon's invasion again.

Short term, "your dudes" are not scrambling to "keep up" with a narrative. Long term, it created a situation where Abbadon was "just about" to go conquer everything in the year 40,000 and Archaon was set to do the same "very soon" in WHF. It was cool at first, but I got bored and after a few retcons of "the same timeline" I just wished the story moved

AoS and 40k are now in the opposite ship: both have sliding timelines with Main Characters now. BUT(!) the best way, imo, to engage with stuff like that is to not set your battles in the "protagonist" continents/planets and to not make "your dudes" so important. If you don't get horribly attached to something GW invents, what happens to that place in-canon doesn't really impact things: the stories are GW's characters and places, and your stories can be somewhere else!

For my own stuff, I picked a couple untouched corners of a few Realms, claimed they were linked by Realmgates, and set the story to be "after the GW narrative." My made-up city is old and established, My Dudes are very wrapped up in their own issues with their own opponents in their own little corner of the Realms. GW can blow up every city, set chaos ascendant, really mess up the Ghurish Highlands and I can say "wow! cool story and neat toys!" from my "narrative safe space" so far away on Ghyran that it doesn't have to "impact me."

I think being able to carve out a chunk of the world/galaxy for yourself is the appeal of these "moving timeline" narratives. I wouldn't personally get too invested in anyone GW invents, because they're GW's characters and they can run over them with a bus if they want to.

Each realm is multiple times the size of Earth with extremely long histories: it'd be crazy to think there is just one ghost on a boat mostly into drowning people

I think this is exact the reason why GW made the Mortal Realms so broad and little defined.

Wondering if someone could explain, because It may be a gap in my experience.

What is the overlap between Wrestling and AoS. I’d rather see some in depth interviews with the design team, concept artists and game development team. Even a Game with some of the Warhammer TV usuals. 

But thats just me. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kronos said:

I’d rather see some in depth interviews with the design team, concept artists and game development team

I'm pretty sure that is what the hour-long preview show is for. The Spearhead game is just an example. 

1 hour ago, novakai said:

If I remember my Necromunda lore correctly, the hive city is next to another abandon city that was taken over by GSG and they had to nuke that city. But recently that city still lives and are planning to invade Necromunda.

I could be wrong as I know nothing John Snow, but the last trailer was supposed to reference to that.

1 hour ago, CommissarRotke said:

Yeah I'm a bit shocked Tahlia has no BL novel. Maybe with 4th..? For as much as I'm enjoying Dawnbringers it's wild how slapdash a lot of this stuff feels STILL. Broken Realms release got bungled. 3e started promising then went flat, DB perked it up again but now DB6 could release after 4e begins... and 4e is an index edition which feels like it may inevitably bungle the narrative. again.

Is AOS not getting enough staff or budget? Is there an internal argument on the direction or tone? Are most of us just too young to remember when this narrative issue plagued 40k and WHFB??

IMO a book about Zenestra Would be SUPER. Also, one about Tahlia explaining her campaigns as a mercenary could be fun to read.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, novakai said:

Apparently not leakers for 40K because Valrek posted a leak/ rumor that Emperor Children should be releasing next year. He also posted the units being release witch includes a Cultist unit but no New Eidolon 

Did he say something about Daemons ? Some resin heroes get squatted with AoS4 purge .

35 minutes ago, novakai said:

Anything more appart from cultists? Lucius, phoenix guard, noise marines, etc...?

10 minutes ago, Kronos said:

What is the overlap between Wrestling and AoS. I’d rather see some in depth interviews with the design team, concept artists and game development team. Even a Game with some of the Warhammer TV usuals. 

But thats just me. 

@Garrac Didn't you say they don't want to sell the box? Now they went full in marketing!!! ;) 🤣

1.jpeg.87938cfd339f47c9c1fc818f1ff61157.jpeg

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Kronos said:

But thats just me. 

I prefer seeing some honest AEW dudes having fun with the spearhead than some bunch of corporative robots with a script to reveal the bare minimum.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Beliman said:

Anything more appart from cultists? Lucius, phoenix guard, noise marines, etc...?

From Chainsword and bolter 

IMG_1532.jpeg.3a2476c2662fcd251f6edfeca282d134.jpeg

granted most of these are accurate guess if you compare to the other chaos legion releases, only the Slaanesh Cultist and no Eidolon where debatable unit release.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, novakai said:

From Chainsword and bolter 

IMG_1532.jpeg.3a2476c2662fcd251f6edfeca282d134.jpeg

granted most of these are accurate guess if you compare to the other chaos legion releases, only the Slaanesh Cultist and no Eidolon where debatable unit release.

Cataphractii instead of Tartaros termies, interesting (they did the same with Deathguard termies I think). I expect at least a new double kit with generic/special hero, a sonic dreadnaught would be so cool.

Valrak also said there's going to be a huge Cathay release for The Old World, with many of the units from Total War: Warhammer making an appearance. Kinda sounds too good to be true, but he sounded confident!

He didn't mention AoS other than to make a joke about it only having 5 players.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Lord Kroak said:

Valrak also said there's going to be a huge Cathay release for The Old World, with many of the units from Total War: Warhammer making an appearance. Kinda sounds too good to be true, but he sounded confident!

He didn't mention AoS other than to make a joke about it only having 5 players.

TBF I am still waiting for his Exodite rumor to ever come true

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MitGas said:

IIRC Enslavers are controlling untrained psykers who dabble into the warp and use their victim’s bodies to create a warpgate so that more enslavers can enter the real world. Since it‘s pretty much game over once they do and the Imperium would probably instantly go full exterminatus on the system, I‘m not sure if this creature will be an enslaver, despite looking quite similar to them. 🤔 

that's what i thought: their lore always read as a Doomsday Button that we'd never see, for good reason. probably the most absurd galactic threat i've heard in 40k. One enslaver can be grounds for an Exterminatus. the lexi page doesn't even mention how they were defeated originally lol

1 hour ago, KingBrodd said:

That new Gryph Hound is gorgeous!! I really like the step back into Grimdark for AOS.

let's just hope it doesn't infect the entire vibe of the setting, I like the high fantasy powermetal more.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Kronos said:

But thats just me. 

This is something that definitely falls under Whitefang’s “ weird things/challenge to logic “ 😉

Edited by cyrus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3