The Rumour Thread

27 minutes ago, Hollow said:

Funnily enough, I think that Combat Patrol and Spearhead systems appeal more to older veteran players who have money and know the game, but just don't want to invest several hours into playing a game and the potential huge amount of time and effort collecting a faction can become.

I like the idea of being able to buy a single box as a hobby project and be able to play a game with the results without any other purchases. It gives me the ability to get a flavour of a particular faction before deciding if I want to invest more time/effort and money in to the faction. 

I have bought 3 different 40k Combat patrols for factions that I have always fancied but never really wanted to open the can of worms that collecting a faction can become. These were fun "one-and-done" projects that were contained and manageable. 

There are several other people I know in their 30's and 40's that just have a lot going on in their lives and for each of them to be able to pick a faction, buy a box, build/paint it in a reasonable time and all be able to play with and against each other in a quick evening session is very appealing. 

I think this is spot on. I've been playing for approaching 30 years off and on, and whilst I have a few armies that are on the larger scale of things in terms of spending my time for both painting and playing I'm much more interested in smaller scale stuff. On the one hand I can get a game completed in much less time but it also lets me enjoy different things from a painting perspective. If they continue to put out alternate Combat Patrols and Spearheads in White Dwarf then I could honestly see myself just focusing on that hobby wise for the rest of 10th and 4th

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, EonChao said:

it also lets me enjoy different things from a painting perspective.

This is such a major point in favour of Combat Patrol/Spearhead. I love the new Sisters of Battle miniatures and bought the Combat Patrol (plus a couple of other things I just liked) I would like to have a huge Sisters army but the reality of building and painting the models became more of a chore. 

I was able to finish the Combat Patrol and have something I can use in a game but that is where I will likely stop with them. 

Edited by Hollow
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Vagard said:

To me it is clear that they are talking about the v4 launch box as their did not really insist on a special spearhead one

5 hours ago, Grungnisson said:

The Dominion style, launch box for AoS 4th edition - we know it will have a Core Rules book, as they always do, and we do have every reason to expect the new, redesign SCE, plus brand new hero(es) to be included.

The confusion is because we don't know whether the launch box will include the Corebook or only this "Spearhead hardback", or if the 4e Corebook has everything Spearhead in it. It sounds like it could be two different books tbh but then where would the special edition corebook cover come from?

3 minutes ago, Hollow said:

This is such a major point in favour of Combat Patrol/Spearhead. I love the new Sisters of Battle miniatures and bought the Combat Patrol (plus a couple of other things I just liked) I would like to have a huge Sisters army but the reality of building and painting the models became more or a chore. 

I was able to finish the Combat Patrol and have something I can use in a game but that is where I will likely stop with them. 

Yep completely the same here. I really like the aesthetic of the Idoneth but I can't really justify the cost of another full army without getting a boost from launch sets or a magazine like Stormbringer. But I have the Vanguard box that I will happily paint up in between other projects as a palette cleanser, and I can play with it in smaller quicker games.

Then later on, if GW release new Spearhead boxes with each battle tome, well I can choose if I want a second Deepkin Spearhead to both expand my collection and give me some more options, or if I want to pick something completely different to paint instead.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Grungnisson said:

So we're looking at a Core Rules book for AoS 4, additional book for Spearhead rules for all existing Spearhead/Vanguard boxes, SCE Spearhead (either existing or new), Skaven Spearhead, some terrain and a double-sided Spearhead board.

Unless the SCE Spearhead is a different content to the existing one, either we match Leviathan's price but don't include any new SCE models, or we add minis, and get closer to £200 than Leviathan's £150.

The Leviathan rulebook also had Combat Patrol in it (and Crusade). (For reference, the downloadable WH40k Core Rules pdf is 60 pages, and the Combat Patrol pdf is 12 pages.) Contents of that set:

• SM Combat Patrol + 13 additional models
  • Tyranid Combat Patrol + 15 additional models
  • 392 page rule book.
  • Cards, transfers, objective markers.

So it's possible... though I agree with you that everyone's Spearhead having printed rules does make it seem like a separate product. (As well as the cards.) So, upon consideration, I've moved to a bit more of a fifty-fifty feeling.

Actually, it does sound more like the 40k Ultimate Starter set (though it'd be weird to call it "the launch box", if it is the AoS equivalent). That set (which retails for £125.00) has:

• SM and 'Nid Combat Patrols
  • 72 page Handbook and 72 page Core Rules Booklet.
  • Terrain, reference sheets, 2 gaming boards, 2 range rulers, 10 dice

I don't think there's any indication that the Spearheads in "the launch box" will be existing ones though, and not new models.

Edited by LordSolarMach
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Hollow said:

Funnily enough, I think that Combat Patrol and Spearhead systems appeal more to older veteran players who have money and know the game, but just don't want to invest several hours into playing a game and the potential huge amount of time and effort collecting a faction can become.

I like the idea of being able to buy a single box as a hobby project and be able to play a game with the results without any other purchases. It gives me the ability to get a flavour of a particular faction before deciding if I want to invest more time/effort and money in to the faction. 

I have bought 3 different 40k Combat patrols for factions that I have always fancied but never really wanted to open the can of worms that collecting a faction can become. These were fun "one-and-done" projects that were contained and manageable. 

There are several other people I know in their 30's and 40's that just have a lot going on in their lives and for each of them to be able to pick a faction, buy a box, build/paint it in a reasonable time and all be able to play with and against each other in a quick evening session is very appealing. 

To me that speaks more to the success of the boxes themselves, not the actual game.

Speaking as a 30-40 year old with a lot going on in their life, nothing about combat patrol/spearhead is appealing outside of the discounts on the boxes themselves lol. If I'm going to make a trip to the local game store for a game I don't want to be done in 45 minutes. Maybe that is just me.

The spearhead/combat patrols seem more geared specifically toward young people without much disposable income, and who may not necessarily have the interest in building/painting an entire army or playing a 3 hour game. 

Is that a cool idea? Yes! Is it going to work? Probably not, because combat patrol definitely hasn't. But decently priced faction starter boxes are always a welcome thing and will probably sell. 

7 minutes ago, LordSolarMach said:

I don't think there's any indication that the Spearheads in "the launch box" will be existing ones though, and not new models.

Not directly, true, but they used the existing SCE Spearhead as an example in the first Spearhead article. It does come across like a suggestion, that this is what Spearhead starter would contain.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Grungnisson said:

Not directly, true, but they used the existing SCE Spearhead as an example in the first Spearhead article. It does come across like a suggestion, that this is what Spearhead starter would contain.

From a marketing and sales perspective why would they release a launch box for a new edition with old models?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pixieproxy said:

From a marketing and sales perspective why would they release a launch box for a new edition with old models?

Exactly. And that's another reason why I still think that two separate sets are a possibility. You may want to go back a couple of pages in this thread ;)

11 minutes ago, Grungnisson said:

It's interesting that they refer to it in the article as "Yndrasta's spearhead", not as the stormcast spearhead. Seems to me at least confirmation that there can be more than 1 per faction.

28 minutes ago, Landohammer said:

If I'm going to make a trip to the local game store for a game I don't want to be done in 45 minutes. Maybe that is just me.

I'd rather have 2 or 3 shorter 1-hour games with multiple friends than slugging it out in a single match for 3+ hours. 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Landohammer said:

To me that speaks more to the success of the boxes themselves, not the actual game.

Speaking as a 30-40 year old with a lot going on in their life, nothing about combat patrol/spearhead is appealing outside of the discounts on the boxes themselves lol. If I'm going to make a trip to the local game store for a game I don't want to be done in 45 minutes. Maybe that is just me.

The spearhead/combat patrols seem more geared specifically toward young people without much disposable income, and who may not necessarily have the interest in building/painting an entire army or playing a 3 hour game. 

Is that a cool idea? Yes! Is it going to work? Probably not, because combat patrol definitely hasn't. But decently priced faction starter boxes are always a welcome thing and will probably sell. 

Honestly the reason I was actively playing Magic more than Warhammer for a long time was because when I went to the shop my entire time wasn't spent on one potentially frustrating game of 2000 points vs getting in 2-4 commander games. If I'm arranging to meet up with my friends to play Warhammer then I'm likely to get 1 maybe, but not often, 2 full games in depending on how much time we have. Stuff like Combat Patrol I can play 2-3 games in the same time as 1 full game and I have to carry much less. Of course when I have the time I can still play bigger games but it opens up options a lot more.

It'll also be much easier to set up and play at home in the evenings when I don't have time to go to a store to play.

• Like 7

I like the table size overlap. Now i can invest in Warcry and Spearhead at the same time. Win Win really. I am actually hyped to start building my first table/ terrain now that i can use it for both systems its actually worth my time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, EonChao said:

Honestly the reason I was actively playing Magic more than Warhammer for a long time was because when I went to the shop my entire time wasn't spent on one potentially frustrating game of 2000 points vs getting in 2-4 commander games. If I'm arranging to meet up with my friends to play Warhammer then I'm likely to get 1 maybe, but not often, 2 full games in depending on how much time we have. Stuff like Combat Patrol I can play 2-3 games in the same time as 1 full game and I have to carry much less. Of course when I have the time I can still play bigger games but it opens up options a lot more.

It'll also be much easier to set up and play at home in the evenings when I don't have time to go to a store to play.

You make a great case, but I am just not seeing the players materialize for combat patrol, and 40k has a larger player pool than AOS. Maybe thats just anecdotal and there are stores in other states with large players bases but so far it seems like a flop. So i'm hesitant about Spearhead really becoming a thing. 

Arent Spearhead lists like completely locked? So like wouldn't you be playing the same exact list for every single game? That would drive me crazy. I'm always tinkering with my lists. 

1 hour ago, Hollow said:

That's a pretty interesting POV, and pretty solid.

It is also a nice way to play with friends that don't necessarily have minis. As long as you have 2 spearheads it is just a matter of teaching your opponent.

• Like 1

Watch GW dropping spearheads as soon as they've hooked you on collecting a couple of cool extra factions next to your main and putting in the work, so that you'll then have to turn them all into full-blown collections too.  You know it, I know it, they certainly know it. :D

I do like the idea of it. Skaven, Flesh-Eaters, Cities, Seraphon, Soulblight, Nighthaunt.... so many cool factions out there, so little time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CommissarRotke said:

The confusion is because we don't know whether the launch box will include the Corebook or only this "Spearhead hardback", or if the 4e Corebook has everything Spearhead in it. It sounds like it could be two different books tbh but then where would the special edition corebook cover come from?

Isn't Spearhead just a reduced version of AoS? Maybe the Core book has everything in terms of the rules needed or even a section purely for Spearheads.

1 hour ago, PraetorDragoon said:

While it is not going to happen, It would be cool if the Dawnbringer boxes had spearhead rules.

Maybe not Spearhead rules, but the armies of renown seem to be a thing in AoS 4.

58 minutes ago, GrimDork said:

It's interesting that they refer to it in the article as "Yndrasta's spearhead", not as the stormcast spearhead. Seems to me at least confirmation that there can be more than 1 per faction.

It is purely because now all Spearheads/ Vanguards have names. Check the pictures from the last 2 posts:

CbxlXLuIAApQ4naP.jpg

qrHpZJGVTyehURFU.jpg

WoyTZYbZ4EYqi5PF.jpg

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, MitGas said:

Watch GW dropping spearheads as soon as they've hooked you on collecting a couple of cool extra factions next to your main and putting in the work, so that you'll then have to turn them all into full-blown collections too.  You know it, I know it, they certainly know it. :D

I do like the idea of it. Skaven, Flesh-Eaters, Cities, Seraphon, Soulblight, Nighthaunt.... so many cool factions out there, so little time. 

Just focus yourself on the third one you've mentioned 😏

Edited by Ejecutor
  • Like 1