The Rumour Thread

4 minutes ago, Chikout said:

A lot of the disappointment on here seems to come from unrealistic expectations. As far as I'm aware Grombindal has never had rules as part of the core game for AoS or Warhammer fantasy. It's always been semi unofficial white dwarf magazine rules. 

He's also not really been involved in the main narrative of either game. It was Grungi that was the mysterious old character in the broken realms book and not Grombindal. Him getting a dedicated novel as the most he's ever had unless I'm forgetting something from fantasy. 

There's still potential for an official unified Duardin faction but it will be because of Grungi and not Grombindal 

It's also a bit frustrating to see the community as a whole just ignoring sections of the rules. If a designer sat  down to write a warscroll and battle plans it worth at least taking a look rather than dismissing it out of hand. 

Wouldn't it be great if one of things to come out of some of these changes is the community actually embracing legends.

Legends rules have an image problem. They are treated as a warscroll graveyard, when it would be much better to treat them as non-tournament legal rules. Legends rules are perfect for casual matched play and narrative games.

• Like 3

Just now, Beliman said:

"Upcoming" dwarf release... still waiting...

I expect somewhere in may, otherwise it will be after the AoS 4th edition release.

Anyway, I think we can all agree that they kept the KO/FS influences very, very subtile. 🙂

2 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

I think it's precisely because of the Grombrindal series that people (including me) were expecting him to be a permanent, non-Legends addition to the range.

Especially after Gotrek.

Yeah, Cado, Drekki and Gotrek got permanent AOS models in current edition, but they are mainly BL Characters integrated in the wider AOS narrative (i.e. as named, special characters).

IMO (but our interpretation differs) Grombrindal, being tied to the WFB and AOS narrative as well as the White Dwarf Journal as an institution, exceed the three aformentioned models' cases.

Hence his special treatment (which is the same as every time there is an WD anniversary model). 

1 minute ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Legends rules have an image problem. They are treated as a warscroll graveyard, when it would be much better to treat them as non-tournament legal rules. Legends rules are perfect for casual matched play and narrative games.

Yeah, it is. When a lot of HE/Empire stuff went to Legends, they even didn't bother to fix typos. I think the skycutter had a shooting range of 1" or so. I don't remember exactly.

3 minutes ago, Tonhel said:

I expect somewhere in may, otherwise it will be after the AoS 4th edition release.

Anyway, I think we can all agree that they kept the KO/FS influences very, very subtile. 🙂

Subtle to a very disappointing extent. Still a cool mini, but could have been so much more in line with how he's supposed to be in AoS, helping out all 3 Duardin factions and disguising himself as all of them.

Edited by Snarff
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Beliman said:

He is part of the Duardin race, but don't get me wrong, a commemorative model is awesome, but a playable unit is a must.

I understand. He will be playable in 4 different games, at least.

I just think he is first and foremost a White Dwarf Journal "Goodies" (sorry for that term applied to mighty White-Fur), more than a game piece. I would be nice of course if he stayed in the range as a fully officialized duardrazhal character, but my point is : we shouldn't be surprised that he is treated like he always was treated - as an anniversary model (at least this times with rules for four different games). 

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

GROMBRINDAL!!!

om8GNuag99vW5fki.jpg

vBYI24xlddI72wEg.jpg

I love him so much.

This miniature depicts Grombrindal in action, bedecked in duardin accessories – including Kharadron Overlord and Fyreslayer ornaments – as he stands triumphantly on an outcropping of rock surrounded by the discarded armaments of his enemies.

What are they supposed to be? I cannot see them.

5 minutes ago, Snarff said:

Subtle to a very disappointing extent. Still a cool mini, but could have been so much more in line with how he's supposed to be in AoS, helping out all 3 Duardin factions and disguising himself as all of them.

I agree. I am happy that it is very subtle. But as they are cleary ignoring TOW in the article. They could have done a lot more to integrate the KO and FS aestehtics better.  Amazing mini, but maybe a missed opportunity to go all out creative.

Edited by Tonhel

6 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

until the end of whatever edition they're published in, at which point they stop being playable even for casual & narrative due to not being updated to work with the current ruleset.  Every previous legends scroll will still have bravery instead of control, for instance, and many already have rules text that makes no sense in 3rd edition, let alone 4th.  The stuff going into legends in 4th will be relatively playable until 5th (unless their legends scroll has some unit breaking typo in it that never gets fixed), at which point they'll not really be playable anymore.

It's not the end of the world, there's always homebrew, but I don't think there's any spin or purely perception based change that will fix why most players don't care for legends rules and consider their units being shifted to legends the same as if they were removed outright.

• Like 4

I hope the model won't come together with WD500. I want both the model and the WD issue. A limited time period to order the model + WD500 separately makes it much more likely that both will stay in stock long enough to purchase.

If they're tied together the magazine is going to be scalped for the model. There's also no way anymore to subscribe to get a guaranteed copy of the issue.

35 minutes ago, Tonhel said:

Their company structure is rubbish, they mention a bunch of games, but the game he will be most used for isn't mentioned. Absurd. He looks more like the dwarfs previewed during AdeptiCon, than KO and FS.

What a strange company. 🙂

AoS?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tonhel said:

I agree. I am happy that it is very subtle. But as they are cleary ignoring TOW in the article. They could have done a lot more to integrate the KO and FS aestehtics better.  Amazing mini, but maybe a missed opportunity to go all out creative.

And they should be ignoring TOW for this model, it's supposed to be a celebration of Grombrindal in the Mortal Realms, not in the old world. Every previous 40K Grombrindal anniversary model also did not refer to WFB or AoS.

His model looks way too much like the Dispossessed and not enough like FS or KO. I still like the model, but it remains a little disappointing.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Pizzaprez said:

Grombrindal is gorgeous! I'll have to kitbash him with the Blood Bowl one that looks substantially more nuts

Also- I've been assuming that a Grombrindal model could herald a "united Duardin" tome if they went that way; him being Legends out the gate makes that much less likely to me!

Better for Dispossessed, Fyreslayers and Kharadrons!

• Like 2