The Rumour Thread

1 minute ago, Ejecutor said:

I am not talking about a full army but about a regiment. If a game requires 2000 points and what is in the box is around 600 points, as you said, it is the perfect box for a regiment indeed as you would need 3-4 regiments to play, in theory.

Man, I remember when the games used to be 1500 and you just needed like 300 euros for a whole army...

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Vaellas said:

Honestly I prefer the idea of existing models getting updated this time over all new units when other armies need more units instead. It means less time dedicated to making new scrolls for Stormcast when the game design can go to the other units in armies instead so higher chance of new stuff for them sooner.

Honestly, I suspect that writing rules and story for minis stands for less than 5% of the time needed to make the sculpts done, no matter it is brand new mini or a refresh. Each time ANY ARMY receives a new mini it means others at the same time will not. No new squad for Fyreslayers. Same old Moonclan Stabbas. No Malerion, Kurnothi, Chaos Dwarfs or Silent Ones this time. Short blanket dilemma.

• Confused 2

2 minutes ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

I’d be down for a Judicator 1:1 refresh because they’d be different from Vigilors - Vigilors are the rangers, Judicators the main bowline. 

What about Vanguard Hunters then? They step a bit on the feet of the Vigilors (or the other way around). If I had to choose, I would remove Judicators (even if they are the ones I like the most), for the sake of trimming down the range, as we already have the Viligors "renewed" and leave the main bowline to them and the rangers role for the Vanguard Hunters.

4 minutes ago, Aeryenn said:

Honestly, I suspect that writing rules and story for minis stands for less than 5% of the time needed to make the sculpts done, no matter it is brand new mini or a refresh. Each time ANY ARMY receives a new mini it means others at the same time will not. No new squad for Fyreslayers. Same old Moonclan Stabbas. No Malerion, Kurnothi, Chaos Dwarfs or Silent Ones this time. Short blanket dilemma.

IMO you are overestimating sculpting time and underestimating rules writing and lore development time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

6 minutes ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

I’d be down for a Judicator 1:1 refresh because they’d be different from Vigilors - Vigilors are the rangers, Judicators the main bowline. 

And what do we do with the Vanguard-Hunters?

9 minutes ago, Aeryenn said:

That's a short-sighted way to look at it though. While not to the extent of Space Marines in 40K, SCE are the face of AoS and still considered as THE entry point for new people (and thus new paying customers). It's clear that SCE are still the most popular army and Dominion was by their own words the best fantasy launch they have ever had, so it's not a stretch to see that SCE are driving at least part of the starter set sales. The more successful AoS is, the more risks it can take. And we're seeing how amazingly it's doing with Warcry now heavily expanded in scope from what it was originally, BIG releases for AoS armies (Seraphon, StD, CoS, FEC, StD (again, lol) and now Skaven). Yes, SCE is also getting model updates, but those are clearly paying for themselves.

Would I like to see armies like Fyreslayers get their expansions too? Of course, they're by far my favourite army. But anyone can see that an entire edition of focusing only on niche armies and new armies will not nearly bring in as much revenue as also updating popular armies at the same time.

• Thanks 9

30 minutes ago, Aeryenn said:

the real truth is that shipping + production probably accounts for 80% of the process at least; it's not like the dust on the preview models is there because they left the windows open.

Edited by bethebee
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Aeryenn said:

We keep having that discussion, se let me just recycle what I already said only yesterday:

image.png.4b9b20b53ad1e8ebd76e5067b7141ff5.png

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Snarff said:

SCE are the face of AoS and still considered as THE entry point for new people (and thus new paying customers). It's clear that SCE are still the most popular army and Dominion was by their own words the best fantasy launch they have ever had, so it's not a stretch to see that SCE are driving at least part of the starter set sales.

I’ll add that SCE are indispensable as the beginner designed faction. If SCE weren’t there, there wouldn’t be a good guy beginner friendly faction new players can start with, and AoS would have the same problems as WFB had - trouble to get new players in because of lack of beginner friendliness.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Garrac said:

Man, I remember when the games used to be 1500 and you just needed like 300 euros for a whole army...

The current price per point ratio for 40k and the overall points expected from the average player is insane imo. I hope we don't get drastic points deflation in AoS

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Snarff said:

That's a short-sighted way to look at it though. While not to the extent of Space Marines in 40K, SCE are the face of AoS and still considered as THE entry point for new people (and thus new paying customers). It's clear that SCE are still the most popular army and Dominion was by their own words the best fantasy launch they have ever had, so it's not a stretch to see that SCE are driving at least part of the starter set sales. The more successful AoS is, the more risks it can take. And we're seeing how amazingly it's doing with Warcry now heavily expanded in scope from what it was originally, BIG releases for AoS armies (Seraphon, StD, CoS, FEC, StD (again, lol) and now Skaven). Yes, SCE is also getting model updates, but those are clearly paying for themselves.

Would I like to see armies like Fyreslayers get their expansions too? Of course, they're by far my favourite army. But anyone can see that an entire edition of focusing only on niche armies and new armies will not nearly bring in as much revenue as also updating popular armies at the same time.

I see your point. I still think there should be more than one poster boy but I'm not the one pulling the strings.

Do we actually have some checked data on how SCE are really popular? That info would still be corrupted by how hard GW pushes them but I'm just curious. 

3 minutes ago, Aeryenn said:

I still think there should be more than one poster boy (...)

To put it very bluntly, that's not how branding works.

40k - Space Marine.

AoS - Liberator.

They even each have a statue in Nottingham.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

What about Vanguard Hunters then? They step a bit on the feet of the Vigilors (or the other way around). If I had to choose, I would remove Judicators (even if they are the ones I like the most), for the sake of trimming down the range, as we already have the Viligors "renewed" and leave the main bowline to them and the rangers role for the Vanguard Hunters.

I see the Vigilors as the ranged-skirmishers. Shoot at enemy, melee only if you have to and retreat to repeat.

The Vanguard-hunters are the deep in enemy lines lads.

I agree with other poster, Judicators are main bow-line. Would love a refresh on these and Hunters, although happy to wait for others to get shiny toys.

Room for all IMO

I hope they just go like

Ranged guys. Judicators ( no bows or xbows but just 1 ranged option)

Hunters from the same kit or just delete it. Honestly ive got so much sce i really want to scale things down to fewer options.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aeryenn said:

I see your point. I still think there should be more than one poster boy but I'm not the one pulling the strings.

Do we actually have some checked data on how SCE are really popular? That info would still be corrupted by how hard GW pushes them but I'm just curious. 

More poster boys would mean no poster boys. A poster boy is an instantly recognizable character that immediately allows people (even people who don't know about the setting) to connect the character to the brand. Like Pokemon has Pikachu. Sure, there are other popular Pokemon, but they're not the posterboy Pikachu.

As for the numbers, immediately calling them 'corrupted' is again quite short-sighted. SCE do really well, not just as a product themselves and as cornerstone of the AoS lore, but as THE branding for AoS. Investing in Stormcast minis is not just investing in SCE, it's investing in AoS as a whole. 

We know they're part of the best fantasy launch for GW ever (not just AoS launch, fantasy launch), by far the most popular army on sites like Instagram and they are still being produced. If they weren't selling, they would not be consistently getting new minis.

And most of all, even with the negative stigma around AoS since it's initial launch, it still managed to grow into the second most popular wargame (after 40K) on the market with Stormcast as its brand.

Edited by Snarff
  • Like 8

• Subscriber

With the reveal of Abraxia, which solved the spear rumour engine, has that now killed off the hope of seeing a redone Valkia for Blades of Khorne?

The only resin kits left for BoK now are Valkia, Scyla and the two Juggernaut heroes (Lord and Herald) I think. So for the new edition a couple of new plastic Heros and BoK is in a good place miniature range wise? 

3 minutes ago, SunStorm said:

With the reveal of Abraxia, which solved the spear rumour engine, has that now killed off the hope of seeing a redone Valkia for Blades of Khorne?

The only resin kits left for BoK now are Valkia, Scyla and the two Juggernaut heroes (Lord and Herald) I think. So for the new edition a couple of new plastic Heros and BoK is in a good place miniature range wise? 

There were rumours about Valkia and Scylla at the beginning of Dawnbringers, but yeah, I think that idea is gone now that Abraxia is here.

The only other options for the near future would be redoing them with the ascension of Khul, but that seems unlikely. I would imagine there would be some new units rather than 3 heroes.

Edited by Ejecutor
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, SunStorm said:

Maybe will stay or dissapear, who knows. Tau's Codex removed a few old resin characters without explanation meanwhile Space Marines mantains old ones.

• Like 1

People need to stop this thinfoilhat stuff. 

In 40k Tyranids also won the "vote" against Marines.

I still see more Marines players than 'Nids and noone with access to sales data sees the Marines dominance go away.

All this means is that people do no longer always vote for the "good Guys". 

1 hour ago, Grungnisson said:

And what do we do with the Vanguard-Hunters?

the new regiments thing kind of solves the issue of the many battleline options for stormcast.

although I think its a little bit boring 

16 minutes ago, SunStorm said:

The idea that Abraxia being released prevents a Valkia update is pretty funny to me. I don't know a lot about Khorne fluff, but I would hope that Valkia has more going on than just "devil woman with spear". But even if not, Khorne seemingly has an endless variety of "muscle dude with axe", so I think GA: Chaos can afford to double up on the concept.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, pitzok said:

The current price per point ratio for 40k and the overall points expected from the average player is insane imo. I hope we don't get drastic points deflation in AoS

Its 100000000% gonna happen. Would be greatly surprised if not