The Rumour Thread

The very granular hero customisation of WHFB (and older 40k editions for that matter) never really worked for me, to be honest, whilst you got occasional moments where you could use some weird combo of baubles to make 'your guy,' a lot of the time there were pretty clear best choices, so you just saw, y'know glittering robes + fencers blades, and dispel scrolls all over the place, or whatever the current top picks happened to be.  Particularly I did not much enjoy the WHFB 8th generic magic items system, where each item cost the same number of points regardless of who was using it, even though a sword of +1 strength is a lot more valuable on a base S5 hero than a S3 one, etc. so it's very tricky to even pretend to balance out that kind of system.

Maybe one way to square that circle would be with a reworked and better integrated heroic actions system?  I don't need 'my guy' to be carrying around a sack full of artefacts and command traits, so long as they get to do some cool and impactful things over the course of the game.

• Like 6
  • Confused 2

34 minutes ago, Tonhel said:

True, I also have no idea how to change / improve it. But my two armies are CoS and StD and comparing the combat prowness of the Marshall with envoy versus a Chaos lord. I can't really say that the Chaos lord is so much more terrifying. While background wise there is a huge difference between both.

The Stormcast hero default statline totally agrees with you. But that's exactly my point here amd SCE are a perfect example. With this many warscrolls, how do you even try to make them feel like an elite of an elite, with even a single Liberator being (supposedly) worth a full unit of human fighters? Something's got to give.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lucentia said:

The very granular hero customisation of WHFB (and older 40k editions for that matter) never really worked for me, to be honest, whilst you got occasional moments where you could use some weird combo of baubles to make 'your guy,' a lot of the time there were pretty clear best choices, so you just saw, y'know glittering robes + fencers blades, and dispel scrolls all over the place, or whatever the current top picks happened to be.  Particularly I did not much enjoy the WHFB 8th generic magic items system, where each item cost the same number of points regardless of who was using it, even though a sword of +1 strength is a lot more valuable on a base S5 hero than a S3 one, etc. so it's very tricky to even pretend to balance out that kind of system.

Maybe one way to square that circle would be with a reworked and better integrated heroic actions system?  I don't need 'my guy' to be carrying around a sack full of artefacts and command traits, so long as they get to do some cool and impactful things over the course of the game.

I preferred it when items where in-book specific and the generic items were priced per army. I have very little experience with 8-9th since I think they changed the game in the wrong direction after 7th. All the randomness (magic and charges, for example) didn't fit with their particular rank and file combat system very well. 

The good news is that TOW seem to be making changes in, mostly, the right places to make things less so.

• Like 2

I think they could do different tiers of generic heroes.

Basic hero 50 points 

Leader hero 75 points with slightly better statline

General hero 100 points best statline

Could also expand buff range with each of those. Just thinking out loud here.

Edited by Gitzdee

26 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

A Morgasht resolving the RE? Maybe something about the Dawnbringers 4 boxes.

I feel like if they do put a Morghast in Warcry, for AoS itself they might have to split the warband (Like Huanchi and Terrawings), because unless they do all Morghasts or unusually fast Ossiarchs, a Morghast will substantially outrun the rest of its warband. 

8 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

I don't expect much more new plastic kits. Just 1 or 2. And then another 5-6 resin heroes.

Probably not, but I was kinda thinking they might show off a resin kit. After all the Bretonian reveals were done over a 5-6 month period, we now have about 3 months at most to the OW box(s) going onto pre-order, probably significantly less to the TK stuff being fully shown off, that is a lot less time, so perhaps they will put some resin kits in on some Mondays.

Perhaps not, I mean they could just dump the rest of the models on the show in January, we will see. Would like to see some more TKs though!

2 minutes ago, Goatforce said:

Probably not, but I was kinda thinking they might show off a resin kit. After all the Bretonian reveals were done over a 5-6 month period, we now have about 3 months at most to the OW box(s) going onto pre-order, probably significantly less to the TK stuff being fully shown off, that is a lot less time, so perhaps they will put some resin kits in on some Mondays.

Perhaps not, I mean they could just dump the rest of the models on the show in January, we will see. Would like to see some more TKs though!

The rumours I've heard is that we would have Bretonia and TK, then 6 months after that Empire/Kislev vs Orcs. Another 6 months after that Dwarvens vs High Elves.

If the launch is 24th Feb as it was said on twitter, there's plenty of time to show 5-6 minis/kits.

3 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

The rumours I've heard is that we would have Bretonia and TK, then 6 months after that Empire/Kislev vs Orcs. Another 6 months after that Dwarvens vs High Elves.

If the launch is 24th Feb as it was said on twitter, there's plenty of time to show 5-6 minis/kits.

This may be true but Hastings, the source of that rumour,  has already been wrong. He claimed we'd be getting a tomb kings chariot but we got the dragon instead. 

1 minute ago, Chikout said:

This may be true but Hastings, the source of that rumour,  has already been wrong. He claimed we'd be getting a tomb kings chariot but we got the dragon instead. 

I dind't got it from Hastings, but from a spanish streamer that is supposed to have a contact inside GW called miniaturewar.

5 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

I dind't got it from Hastings, but from a spanish streamer that is supposed to have a contact inside GW called miniaturewar.

Was that the same person who said the preorder order would be:

Battleforces -> Necrons/Admech -> Legions Imperialis

Because then his info might be correct but outdated since they changed two of those around.

Edited by Matrindur

6 minutes ago, Matrindur said:

Was that the same person who said the preorder order would be:

Battleforces -> Necrons/Admech -> Legions Imperialis

Because then his info might be correct but outdated since they changed two of those around.

Nope. That was a different one. Khorosu Wargamer. This was a casual one that received some how the first Battleforce picture.

Miniature war is more focused on WHFB and sometimes drops some info here and there from his source about other games. Now is fully focused on TOW, but cannot say everything he knows at once to do not uncover his source.

Edited by Ejecutor

33 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

MESBG is getting new translucent plastic Army of the Dead. I wonder if we'd ever end up seeing Nighthaunt released in this way, or if it's a bit to late for that? 

8EvMPAKPbYRILobm.jpg

An interesting choice, but doesn't this seem kind of gimmicky? Like the green plastic rods on the old Necrons.

I hope they can get this clear plastic more bubble free than their flight stands.

1 minute ago, Grungnisson said:

The more I look at them, the more I think it really works _in_this_particular_case_, but knowing GW they'll soon go ham on the idea.

I have seen this kind of thing in DnD miniatures before. I personally don't think clear plastic alone sells the effect of a ghostly being very well, mostly because of the clashing art style (if you can call it that). A clear plastic model next to a hand painted one just looks unfinished, not incorporeal.

I am not sure if using clear plastic for multi part models is even a possibility. Surely glue seams would mess up the intended effect.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, HorticulusTGA said:

Terrible "rumors".

WERE ARE THE CHAOS WARRIORS AND THE BEAST OF CHAOS ?

What they were saying is that this is all that they have prepared/planned. If it sells well they would go with more. Also heard them saying that the whole team working on this left and the current one has been working for quite a small time. Like 6 months only.

14 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I have seen this kind of thing in DnD miniatures before. I personally don't think clear plastic alone sells the effect of a ghostly being very well, mostly because of the clashing art style (if you can call it that). A clear plastic model next to a hand painted one just looks unfinished, not incorporeal.

I am not sure if using clear plastic for multi part models is even a possibility. Surely glue seams would mess up the intended effect.

I am not a fan of clear plastic. Only on a few way too expensive pvc figurines have i seen it done well. I think it just looks cheap most of the time compared to a painted mini. Just look at most toys using clear plastic for flames or similar effects. Its a hard sell for me. But i guess i can just still use a primer and paint it, nothing lost here.

• Like 3