The Rumour Thread

37 minutes ago, ScionOfOssia said:

The only reason I’d consider a foam case over magnets is for transporting Arkhan and my Krondspine Incarnate, because I don’t trust the glue to keep them from breaking. Everything else can trust, but those two are suspicious. 

This message is Nighthaunt approved.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Greyshadow said:

Neodymium magnets are really, really dangerous if ingested. It’s illegal to sell them as toys in Australia. I think this is the main reason GW go for other solutions.

You are probably right, but I don't think this is the only reason. Firstly, GW products are generally labelled 12+ and I don't think any sort of magnets ban applies in this age group. Secondly, they already sell stuff like plastic glue.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Flippy said:

There may come a day when GW discovers magnets, but it is not this day.

I think the (relatively) recent Painting Phase podcast with Tom Hibberd:

tells you that they never will.

Despite magnets, airbrushes, wet palettes etc. being very commonly discussed online, they are still incredibly niche and wouldn't be profitable for GW. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, JerekKruger said:

Despite magnets, airbrushes, wet palettes etc. being very commonly discussed online, they are still incredibly niche and wouldn't be profitable for GW. 

When using magnets u actually have to drill holes into the GW product. I think this raises a bunch of issues for GW as a company. What if little Timmy destroys his marine this way and starts crying? Or even worse... glues in a magnet backwards.... Its a whole different modelling aspect not supported by GW for a lot of reasons imho.

I also like these additional products without GW driving up the prices.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Gitzdee said:

When using magnets u actually have to drill holes into the GW product. I think this raises a bunch of issues for GW as a company. What if little Timmy destroys his marine this way and starts crying? Or even worse... glues in a magnet backwards.... Its a whole different modelling aspect not supported by GW for a lot of reasons imho.

The later Adeptus Titanicus minis (Warlord, Warmaster and Warbringer) all have magnet recesses for their weapons and hip/torso joint, and whilst I agree that you can ****** up the magnet's parity, you can also ****** up a mini in any number of ways (get plastic glue in the wrong place, and you lose fine detail for example).

The issue is primarily that GW aren't magnet manufacturers (or indeed case manufacturers), so if they sold them they'd need to subcontract to another (likely Chinese) company. If you're relatively small, you can turn a profit this way, but if you're GW the profit just isn't worth the hassle. People who want to magnetize their minis will find a way, and GW will continue to make a lot of profit from their primary demographic (women in their 40s buying stuff for their kids).

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, JerekKruger said:

Good interview and a reasonable business approach. I guess that easy-to-use foam or silicone case is something that a mom is likely to buy (with some kits) to her son - and ultimately that is all that matters.  

25 minutes ago, JerekKruger said:

The issue is primarily that GW aren't magnet manufacturers (or indeed case manufacturers), 

Well, no. It probably isn't. Those Painting Phase interviews are really great, when you want to get a better picture into GW philosophy, and from those recent episodes one little fact stood out for me, that might be relevant here.

The scraping tool.

Yes, people ridicule its existance and usefulness, but what's been pointed out by the very guy who inroduced it, it's the simple fact that it can be sold to kids. Unlike hobby knives. Similarly, GW will only sell products that can be assembled with plastic cement and would not require the use of a superglue. Again, kids safety concernes (while not 100% health safe, the plastic cement wont glue your fingers together, or worse still eyelids, or lips, for example). And the use of magnets would require the use of either superglue or some other general adhesive.

Profitability will also be a factor, but in this case we're not even going to get that far, since the first hurdle (as above) won't be cleared to start with.

34 minutes ago, JerekKruger said:

GW will continue to make a lot of profit from their primary demographic (women in their 40s buying stuff for their kids).

That has not been their primary demographic for a long while. Their primary customer base right now are 30+ blokes with disposable income, but they're also commited to feeding their own grassroots, through the schools' alliance programme, for example, and therefore they will not shift away from making their products at least as accessible to kids as they have been so far, or even more, where possible.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, JerekKruger said:

The interview is super interesting. This explains almost every GW decision.

20 minutes ago, Aeryenn said:

Why? I I own GW's largest case and use it every time I play outside of home. I do use carton boxes if I wasn't able to pack everything in the first case, like Ironclad.

Most of the time i play at home. I usually need to transport a single unit for painting elsewhere. I use the case when i need to transport a whole army, but i have also had parts break a few times. Never had a broken parts with a shoebox with bubblewrap so far. I'm not a fan of the foam inlays but it will have to do. I have seen the big boxes with magnet trays, its nice but a bit to big for my tastes/ needs (and need to put some magnets underneath all minis).

kane.jpg

Edited by Gitzdee
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Grungnisson said:

Similarly, GW will only sell products that can be assembled with plastic cement and would not require the use of a superglue

Except you know; resin, finecast, metal, static grass, sand. They even advertise building of sub assemblies & using superglue on their warhammer youtube painting videos.

Its a lot less likely they stopped selling superglue in store due to children, and more to do with the expense of rebranding cheap superglue from china. Plus they still sell the hobby knife in stores, the scraping tool just let them include it in starter paints sets/sell them directly to children.

Personally I don't fully trust the Painting Phase videos as reliable sources of info. They clearly still have to tow the GW line as they won't dare bite the hand that still feeds them. They are still as reliant on GW to keep providing them a living as much as when they worked for them directly, so no way are they going to air something that actually spills any real dirt on the company or they practices.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, EntMan said:

Not rumours, but while we're talking about magnets in bases for storage, what size magnets do people use? Obviously smaller is cheaper when buying en masse, but is there a minimum size for a reliable 'storage box hold'?

I've found round 5x2 mm perfect for the job. For bigger bases you just use two or more. I usually glue them with Gorilla Glue and/or stick them into Milliput.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Flippy said:

I've found round 5x2 mm perfect for the job. For bigger bases you just use two or more. I usually glue them with Gorilla Glue and/or stick them into Milliput.

Thanks. Do you get special metal bottomed boxes? Or can you recommend any metallic tape etc to line boxes with?

I do not recommend gluing magnets to the miniatures themselves.  If the magnets are strong enough it can make it wonky to move them near other minis with their own magnets.  Also, a hollow bottomed base is just easier to move and position over uneven terrain and a magnet can get in the way of that (this is also why plain hollow bases are better than slotted bases with tabs on the minis).  Also if you glue magnets inside the bases you need to be very particular about the size and strength of the magnets you use - too weak and it won't hold the model, too strong and you might break the model when lifting it from the metal transport sheet (especially an issue for fragile models like skeletons and nighthaunts), too short and the magnet won't make contact with the storage sheet, too tall and the model will stick up and wobble, etc.

Instead I use a dremel with a sanding or grinding head to flatten the inside of the base, then glue a flat bit of steel clipped of a steel sheet up in there, being sure to sand/grind any points or burrs off the bit of steel first.  you can stick a magnet to the steel bit under the base when you want to transport the model or stick it to something, and take the magnet out when you want to game with it or put it on a storage or display shelf.  This also lets you swap out magnets if you find a particular one is too strong or weak or large or small for a given model, or add extra magnets if you find one isn't enough.  You can also save money on magnets since you'll only need enough for the models you're transporting to a given game, you don't need em for models on storage or display shelves.

I do sometime still glue small magnets in, typically for slotta base models where I'm feeling too lazy to actually to clip out the tab to glue them to non-slotta bases, or where the tab is required structural support that just can't be removed.

For my own stuff I use 2mm thickness disk magnets of various diameters, from 2mm diameter for smaller/frailer stuff up to 5mm diameter for bigger things.  2mm x 3mm is the size I use most often for infantry models.  If a single 2mm x 5mm disk magnet isn't strong enough, then i use multiple magnets.  2mm thick is pretty much the right thickness to just glue straight up under a 25mm base, though you might have to scrape, sand, or dremmel some raised text flat.  On larger bases 2mm thick often isn't enough to make contact if you just glue it up there, but remember that for all my models /apart/ from some 25mm slotta bases I glue a bit of metal up under the base and the magnet just sticks to that, and the extra height of the metal makes 2mm fit fine for any base.  In fact, it often sticks out below the base, but that's ok because again I can pop the magnet right off during the game.

Don't neglect the strength of the magnet while you're focusing on size.  Especially for smaller magnets, like those 2mm x 2mm ones, if there's not a decent strength to the magnet it won't hold.  I mean, you can always use extra magnets if one isn't enough, or larger magnets if like me you get them in different sizes, but still.  N52 is usually about right.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This is a longer video about basing methods in general, but it starts by talking about the benefits of hollow bases and using metal strips under the base instead of gluing magnets directly, concisely and visually explaining the benefits of this method.  Pretty much instantly transformed how I do basing/transport magnets and I haven't looked back.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2