The Rumour Thread

9 hours ago, Carnelian said:

There's always time for Shadespire! (it's super quick)

The length of the game is not an issue, but if I have an evening in a week max for gaming and already play 9-10 different miniature games, for which most I have multiple forces,  I don't need one extra :) 

3 hours ago, AthlorianStoners said:

40K rumours saying Kroot are coming, what would people think of them getting ported to AoS as a tribal/barbarian faction? I think they’re low tech enough to work and their lore wouldn’t need much changing, just making them hunters who gain powers from what they eat. 

Link to anything or just whispers on the winds?... Kroot are pretty cool and if they got a full  plastic reboot with some new kits I'd defiantly do some kind of counts as army!!!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Vasshpit said:

Link to anything or just whispers on the winds?... Kroot are pretty cool and if they got a full  plastic reboot with some new kits I'd defiantly do some kind of counts as army!!!

** Cough ** Cough ** Not AOS ;) 

However the little birdys seem to be saying look over here... http://natfka.blogspot.co.uk/2018/03/rumors-angron-and-khorne-new-abbadon.html and not discuss this any further in this thread (but if half of that is happening, I'm excited!!)

18 minutes ago, Vasshpit said:

Yeah I made a post over in the order thread after this, I think I’m gonna do a Free Peoples army using Kroot as proxies. 

7 hours ago, Turgol said:

You mean what is trollish about skaven? Come on! Skaven answer the question of “what would happen if rats had a bit more brain, but the same behavior, and wanted to rule the world? How would they act?” And the answer is: like rats! They would be very fertile, very unorganized, very fearful, very treacherous, very messy and unhigienic, deluded by the very fact they are rats, etc. They are by all means brilliant and hilliarious, but trollish.

Off top but real world rats (rattus norvegicus) are very clean, they have hierarchy

" Rats are said to establish an order of hierarchy, so one rat will be dominant over another one" from wiki but I know that from expirience.

And he is not fearful ;)

• Like 4

So if we round up the rumours around the Idoneth Deepkin:

• Follow Mathlann (who we know from WHFB was a bit of a "difficult" God, represented Poseidon in the game)... which I know was more High Elf before but the High Elves themselves didn't like Mathlann that much. If Mathlann is more like Khaine...
  • A couple of heroes - one riding some sort of sea creature, or otherwise (magic?) - I personally don't think Mistweaver will be part of them despite...
  • ... Them coming from the mists and magically affect the areas they raid by making it as though it's "underwater"
  • Greek aesthetic (ties in with Atlantis, Poseidon) - helms, spears (makes sense) and by extension harpoons?
  • Shark cavalry or chariots?
  • Giant turtle, ridden by Aelves? Is this a behemoth, a chariot, a war machine? If not behemoth, could there be more to come?
  • Soul-stealing - does this relate to Teclis failing to create a race of perfect new Aelves, who just somehow aren't magically bound the souls recovered from Slaanesh? "Woe is us, lets retreat to sea and come out to take what we can get". Does it link to Nagash? Hide in the deep to disguise their tenuous hold on their Aelven souls? This I guess also pitches them again Chaos (would be anyway) and against destruction. 
  • 8 lines - 8 units from combined boxes (very common now, and a good idea) seems likely. 
  • Kraken/octopus logo. 
  • They're Order (get over it xD)
  • They're not "High Aelves" (get over it xD)

My feelings:

• Inspired by Atlantis, Greek Gods. Spears, harpoons, tridents, helmets. Fish scale style-armour. Could even be a little bit African even, if you look at some of the Atlantis stories. All with an AoS twist.
  • Would have been High Aelves, but by virtue of stealing souls they just can't be. Doesn't make them wholly evil, chaotic, death or destruction (hence Order), just like the Dark Aelves themselves really (bar Morathi, but she hates Chaos and Nagash so that's that). Bitter?
  • Not all of them will need to steal souls. Some perhaps are chosen of Mathlann, hence lead their kin to land. 
  • Don't think we'll see fish Aelves, rather more souless, more undead looking. Gaunt. Sad. Angry? (I can't help but think of Little Mermaid and those stolen souls the fat Octopus woman took (xD)
  • I think rumours will emerge of their battleline units. Nothing we've heard so far screams battleline to me yet. This has got to be a dual kit like the Melusai and Khinerai? I think they'll be the ones above.
  • I think rumours will emerge of a larger sea creature than an Aelf riding a nasty turtle, though honestly don't know. Snapping turtles are mean  though!
  • Some mechanic like the Sylvaneth woods. Hope it's not that bloody boat though! Stargate-esque Portals? Water funnels? Something cool.
  • Can't see it being a horde army
Edited by syph0n
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, syph0n said:

So if we round up the rumours around the Idoneth Deepkin:

• Follow Mathlann (who we know from WHFB was a bit of a "difficult" God, represented Poseidon in the game)... which I know was more High Elf before but the High Elves themselves didn't like Mathlann that much. If Mathlann is more like Khaine...
  • A couple of heroes - one riding some sort of sea creature, or otherwise (magic?) - I personally don't think Mistweaver will be part of them despite...
  • ... Them coming from the mists and magically affect the areas they raid by making it as though it's "underwater"
  • Greek aesthetic (ties in with Atlantis, Poseidon) - helms, spears (makes sense) and by extension harpoons?
  • Shark cavalry or chariots?
  • Giant turtle, ridden by Aelves? Is this a behemoth, a chariot, a war machine? If not behemoth, could there be more to come?
  • Soul-stealing - does this relate to Teclis failing to create a race of perfect new Aelves, who just somehow aren't magically bound the souls recovered from Slaanesh? "Woe is us, lets retreat to sea and come out to take what we can get". Does it link to Nagash? Hide in the deep to disguise their tenuous hold on their Aelven souls? This I guess also pitches them again Chaos (would be anyway) and against destruction. 
  • 8 lines - 8 units from combined boxes (very common now, and a good idea) seems likely. 
  • Kraken/octopus logo. 
  • They're Order (get over it xD)
  • They're not "High Aelves" (get over it xD)

My feelings:

• Inspired by Atlantis, Greek Gods. Spears, harpoons, tridents, helmets. Fish scale style-armour. Could even be a little bit African even, if you look at some of the Atlantis stories. All with an AoS twist.
  • Would have been High Aelves, but by virtue of stealing souls they just can't be. Doesn't make them wholly evil, chaotic, death or destruction (hence Order), just like the Dark Aelves themselves really (bar Morathi, but she hates Chaos and Nagash so that's that). Bitter?
  • Not all of them will need to steal souls. Some perhaps are chosen of Mathlann, hence lead their kin to land. 
  • Don't think we'll see fish Aelves, rather more souless, more undead looking. Gaunt. Sad. Angry? (I can't help but think of Little Mermaid and those stolen souls the fat Octopus woman took (xD)
  • I think rumours will emerge of their battleline units. Nothing we've heard so far screams battleline to me yet. This has got to be a dual kit like the Melusai and Khinerai? I think they'll be the ones above.
  • I think rumours will emerge of a larger sea creature than an Aelf riding a nasty turtle, though honestly don't know. Snapping turtles are mean  though!
  • Some mechanic like the Sylvaneth woods. Hope it's not that bloody boat though! Stargate-esque Portals? Water funnels? Something cool.

Mostly agree here. But re: the High Aelves thing. Honestly, I'm feeling that the whole notion of High and Dark Aelves as we knew them is gone (i.e High = Good, Dark = Bad). That said Light (Hysh) and Shadow (Ulgu) Aelves seem to be THE thing. 

What's gonna be interesting is how the Idoneth created by Teclis are not Light but Shadow. Did Malerion trick Teclis? Or did Teclis mess up?

And if we get Mathlann - how the hell and who the hell is he? GW confirmed that all the old Elven gods are in fact dead. The only person I think he could be is Araloth or an imposter (Malerion maybe?).

Edited by zedatkinszed
  • Like 2

Do not forget that Aislann Lord of the Lothern Sea Guards was living Avatar of Manthlann/Manthlann himself in End Times and he didn't actually die as he was swallowed by ocean. 

@syph0n I think with that cover and strong emphasis on mists it is almost certain Mistweaver is part of Deepkin line. 

@zedatkinszed GW didn't confirm that all gods are dead, also maybe Manthlann/Aislinn was devoured by Slaasnesh as well but found way to escape into see or Teclis extracted his soul etc. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, zedatkinszed said:

Mostly agree here. But re: the High Aelves thing. Honestly, I'm feeling that the whole notion of High and Dark Aelves as we knew them is gone (i.e High = Good, Dark = Bad). That said Light (Hysh) and Shadow (Ulgu) Aelves seem to be THE thing. 

What's gonna be interesting is how the Idoneth created by Teclis are not Light but Shadow. Did Malerion trick Teclis? Or did Teclis mess up?

And if we get Mathlann - how the hell and who the hell is he? GW confirmed that all the old Elven gods are in fact dead. The only person I think he could be is Araloth or an imposter (Malerion maybe?).

Yes forgive my use of High/Dark, but the factions are still definitely separate by their alliances. Just Aelves would do, with the only 'new' Aelves we've seen so far being of the old 'Dark'/new 'Shadow' faction. 

We've had Khaine, because Morathi is using him. Mathlann could easily be remembered by any of the new Aelven Gods (Malerion, Tyrion etc). Perhaps it's deception, maybe it's something else. I think Teclis messed up, or was intereferred with rather than tricked maybe? Perhaps Malerion wanted more of the share, so corrupted them? Who knows! Exciting nonetheless! 

@DantePQ yeah we'll see how Mistweaver slots in. I did think at first she would, but now I'm not so sure. Mist does hint at water, obviously, but could it just be another way of weaving shadows, smoke etc? I don't know the lore behind Mistweaver so honestly don't know. It would be another unit they wouldn't need to make I guess! 

Glad you know the lore around the old Gods and of Aislinn as I'd forgotten that. 

In any case, any alliance between the Deepkin and other Aelves even seems tenuous at best, these guys seem really desperate! 

Edited by syph0n

1 minute ago, AthlorianStoners said:

@syph0n nice breakdown! 

I think we’ve heard from various sources (all unreliable) that there is seahorse and shark cavalry? 

Im excited for these guys.

I think we might see a mixed kit of sea horse and shark. 

Poseidon has lots of imagery on a chariot, especially with sea "horses" with proper front legs, but similar faces to a sea horse and sea horse tails. A bit like Scourgerunner vs Drakespawn Chariots with current Aelves, or the Gorebeast or horse chariots of the Slaves to Darkness.

Cavalry wise could be similar. Heavy vs light? 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, syph0n said:

I think we might see a mixed kit of sea horse and shark. 

Poseidon has lots of imagery on a chariot, especially with sea "horses" with proper front legs, but similar faces to a sea horse and sea horse tails. A bit like Scourgerunner vs Drakespawn Chariots with current Aelves, or the Gorebeast or horse chariots of the Slaves to Darkness.

Cavalry wise could be similar. Heavy vs light? 

Yeah I agree, a mixed cavalry kit seems possible. I imagine the release to mirror the Kharadron in many ways: 

- 2 or 3 small heroes 

- 1 larger on foot hero 

- 1 large centrepiece unit 

- 1 double kit battleine 

- 1 elite infantry 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AthlorianStoners said:

Yeah I agree, a mixed cavalry kit seems possible. I imagine the release to mirror the Kharadron in many ways: 

- 2 or 3 small heroes 

- 1 larger on foot hero 

- 1 large centrepiece unit 

- 1 double kit battleine 

- 1 elite infantry 

Yep absolutely. 

Some sort of magic hero (maybe Mistweaver), the faction leader on some mount of some description, some hero of another sort.

Big turtle dude

Souless-Aelf battline

Shark/sea horse chariots/cavalry

That's 8 with dual kit battleline and dual kit elites.

Edited by syph0n

3 minutes ago, syph0n said:

Yep absolutely. 

Some sort of magic hero (maybe Mistweaver), the faction leader on some mount of some description, some hero of another sort.

Big turtle dude

Souless-Aelf battline

Shark/sea horse chariots/cavalry

That's 8 with dual kit battleline and dual kit elites.

Yeah absolutely. Hopefully get some more info soon. 

8 kits is plenty but not enough for a completely new faction if you count blister heroes in those 8. Deepkin is said to be a massive release that will take as much as 4 weeks or more by Temoulon and the guy that leaked the release calendar up to June. 

Also: Aislinn not dying but getting submerged in the ocean is wrong. Just checked ET: Khaine  and it is explicitly stated that he died after the widow maker pierced his heart. So no Aislinn. I doubt Mathlann is involved as (1) he is dead, (2) the Idoneth are a failed Teclis creation and (3) the soul hunting stuff does not sound very Mathlannish. But I know Temoulon stated they “were very Mathlann” so will have to see.

21 minutes ago, DantePQ said:

I think it won't be correct. FIrst and most reliable guy who broke news about them said that they will have a lot of very expensive pointwise heroes on big mounts with crazy abilities. 

Big turtle, hero on a mount, another hero (like a champion or chosen or something) and some sort of magic? They could all be expensive with crazy abilities... Could be configured multiple ways too, if you consider the DoK Cauldron etc.

5 minutes ago, Turgol said:

8 kits is plenty but not enough for a completely new faction if you count blister heroes in those 8. Deepkin is said to be a massive release that will take as much as 4 weeks or more by Temoulon and the guy that leaked the release calendar up to June. 

Also: Aislinn not dying but getting submerged in the ocean is wrong. Just checked ET: Khaine  and it is explicitly stated that he died after the widow maker pierced his heart. So no Aislinn. I doubt Mathlann is involved as (1) he is dead, (2) the Idoneth are a failed Teclis creation and (3) the soul hunting stuff does not sound very Mathlannish. But I know Temoulon stated they “were very Mathlann” so will have to see.

Why isn't 8 enough? AoS factions are small aren't they really? If it's an elite force, powerful, I don't expect many models.

4 weeks to release isn't a long time really is it? First week battletome, a hero, battline. Next week the big monster turtle or whatever it is, another hero etc. Can easily see how with 8 kits or whatever that it could comfortably be two a week. 

Various sources have mentioned Mathlann that I've seen, even to the point one of the heroes is some how related to him. Agreed, soul hunting is not very Mathlann-ish. Controlling massive sea creatures, being particuarly unforgiving and dangerous however is. Teclis creating them doesn't exclude Mathlann though, if they were failed then 'rescued' by another Aelven "God". The lore is the hardest to suss out anyway, because at least rumours of units can come from someone actually seeing the models in a warehouse or design room somewhere! Mathlann being dead... So is Khaine, that's not stopped Morathi! :D

We'll see in the fullness of time. Part of the fun of rumours I guess!

1 hour ago, Turgol said:

I mean...Kharadron only have 4 kits total across the whole faction and they seem to do fine.

Edited by Gaz Taylor
Removed comment at end of this post
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, PJetski said:

KO have 6 boxes and multiple hero clampacks

I've heard that myth too but at this point I think we can put it in the same category as the Loch Ness monster or El Dorado, because no one on the entire planet has ever seen more than 1 hero clampack, 1 large boat, and 2 infantry kits out of that army in person. Blurry photos don't count. 

Edited by BURF1
  • Like 3