The Rumour Thread

I've just been looking over the Harbingers again and looking at them, I think they fulfil a really nice role for small armies - so start collecting box, plus a few other models.  For larger games (i.e. 2k) they don't really have enough punch - however if you look at the way MP is being driven in stores they tie in perfectly as a general once you've painted up your brand new army box.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Infeston said:

Jeah, sadly it seems that way. I really expected better rules.

Now see, this, this we can be sure about. Unless there's some special 'Harbinger' clause to matched play now, these guys'll be collecting dust for the most part.

2 minutes ago, Burf said:

Now see, this, this we can be sure about. Unless there's some special 'Harbinger' clause to matched play now, these guys'll be collecting dust for the most part.

I think it depends on their price point-wise. If they will be priced between 60-100 points (depends on which harbringer you choose) they could be considered worth taking. If they will be priced at 120-160 points I think they will definitely collect dust.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Infeston said:

I think it depends on their price point-wise. If they will be priced between 60-100 points (depends on which harbringer you choose) they could be considered worth taking. If they will be priced at 120-160 points I think they will definitely collect dust.

The ordinator could be free and he'd still only be in free people/ironweld arsenal armies. But yeah, for the others 60-100 is about right.

1 minute ago, Moonstone said:

Helstorm rocket battery or a regular dwarf cannon could be potentially quite good with him.

What'll be interesting is if Order get some big set-piece artillery eventually. Anything significantly powerful could get pushed into the realm of turbo-cheese with him.

So, last Nights reveals:

-The good:

Daughters of Khaine look quite awesome. Like very, very awesome. Love the Gorgons, I would expect them to be about Kurnoth Hunter or Enlightened/Skyfire equivalent. I think it is a bit sad GW wasted the name furies on weak Chaos Daemons no one ever remembers, because that clearly seems to be what the winged witches are, to go with the gorgons and the regular Witch Aelves being Maneads. Maybe they'll call them Erynies, use the greek style name with a compound element in front like they did with the Bloodwrack Gorgons?

Looks like two unit kits, the big Morathi box and maybe a clamppack, though I think if any of the gorgons represent heroes, they might be build from the unit box, like the mounted Blightking hero. All in all, it looks like a pretty small release that nonetheless puts its faction well into "well supported territory", I think the total of units ends up outstripping Sylvaneth?I really like this, I hope we will see plenty of releases like that, AoS really needs more well supported varied factions, not more small new factions with very little variety (like Ironjawz, Everchosen or Fyreslayers).

I think the biggest thing for me is the Battletome, I think there has been no AoS faction so far whose lore I am more eager to read, I think it might tell us a lot of new things about the Age of Myth. Sadly, if the Malign Portents tome, Legions of Nagash and Daughters of Khaine are all out in February, that leaves my hobby budget for the month beyond spend from the three books alone, even at the most affordable pricing.

-The bad:

The heralds look very uneven. The Goblin can support his entire GA, the Stormcast at least supports specific builds within the entire GA and the Warqueen at least supports a faction many Chaos armies can use. Meanwhile, the Knight of Shrouds is only really good as a Nighthaunt general, I think his beatstick qualities are neglegible. Many Death armies get the short end of the stick if they go the "both sides get to use heralds for free" route.

Order continues its march of overshadowing all other GAs in large strides, getting another awesome release, after being the biggest GA to begin with, getting the best supported posterboy faction and then getting the greatest amount of non Stormcast releases. The gap in support between GAs is a jawning chasm by now. Yes, aelves where due, but at this point I really hope Tyrion and Malerion are actually part of the same faction, so GW can just let Order fall back for a bit after putting them out and let the other GAs at least catch up a little.

-The Ugly:

Once again GW overshadows their big, supposedly centered around Death, event with a spectacular reveal for another faction. In december the buildup and website reveal ended up looking entirely lackluster next to the release of Nurgle. Now, a battletome and the release of the Malign Portents book are upcoming, but all eyes are on Morathi and the daughters of Khaine. Notice how nobody is even asking about the release date of the MP book? Instead I see a lot of comments saying "I still don't know what the big deal with Malign Portents is, but I don't really care anymore". GW really knoes how to kill their own hype.

The Global Campaign that I guess belong to MP starts mid February. At best, Battletome:LoN is barely out by then. With a lot of people ready to start Death for it quite possibly jumping ship for Daughters of Khaine now (hell, I am almost ready to do so). Lets just hope the story branches depend on something other than which GA "wins" each phase, because otherwhise it is a foregone conclusion, if anything Order is even more dominant now than it was in Seasons of Hope.

Really, I am not looking to be negative here, I love the upcoming DoK minis and the Lore we get as part of MP. But when Death finally gets something new, I really hope it was worth the wait.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Rogue Explorator said:

The Goblin can support his entire GA

How can the goblin support his entire GA? He can only support orruks and grots. I may have to inform you that Destruction also consists of ogors, trolls and gargants. Many people might have forgotten that they exist, because of the lack of support for those factions. But Destruction is not only green skin.

Sadly everything which has no green skin gets neglected again.

Edited by Infeston
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Rogue Explorator said:

-The Ugly:

Once again GW overshadows their big, supposedly centered around Death, event with a spectacular reveal for another faction. In december the buildup and website reveal ended up looking entirely lackluster next to the release of Nurgle. Now, a battletome and the release of the Malign Portents book are upcoming, but all eyes are on Morathi and the daughters of Khaine. Notice how nobody is even asking about the release date of the MP book? Instead I see a lot of comments saying "I still don't know what the big deal with Malign Portents is, but I don't really care anymore". GW really knoes how to kill their own hype.

The Global Campaign that I guess belong to MP starts mid February. At best, Battletome:LoN is barely out by then. With a lot of people ready to start Death for it quite possibly jumping ship for Daughters of Khaine now (hell, I am almost ready to do so). Lets just hope the story branches depend on something other than which GA "wins" each phase, because otherwhise it is a foregone conclusion, if anything Order is even more dominant now than it was in Seasons of Hope.

Really, I am not looking to be negative here, I love the upcoming DoK minis and the Lore we get as part of MP. But when Death finally gets something new, I really hope it was worth the wait.

Well getting new rules for almost the whole grand alliance with all the assosiated stuff like magic lores, artefacts and 6 new or reworked allegiances is quite a big thing. They don't get new models now, but it is still a huge update for them and also they are the Headline of the whole new storyline. Also new stuff later is given and I think has been also confirmed by GW as well. I don't know what else one could hope for? Of course I would have wanted some updates for the horrible old kits as well, but at least I am very excited by this release. having just started a Death army.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Jamopower said:

Well getting new rules for almost the whole grand alliance with all the assosiated stuff like magic lores, artefacts and 6 new or reworked allegiances is quite a big thing. They don't get new models now, but it is still a huge update for them and also they are the Headline of the whole new storyline. Also new stuff later is given and I think has been also confirmed by GW as well. I don't know what else one could hope for? Of course I would have wanted some updates for the horrible old kits as well, but at least I am very excited by this release. having just started a Death army.

Note that you have quoted "the ugly", not "the bad".

Supposedly, Malign Portents is the current AoS main event and Death its biggest player. The issue is, GW continues bamboozling the presentation. If they had to push back Daughters of Khaine and Nurgle, I think it would have been for the best to push back Malign Portents, including its anouncement, as well, so it can take true centerstage and the players of these new armies can realistically have an army ready when the big events unfolds. As things are going, MP really is more of a sideshow to the new non-Death releases.

As for LoN, it really is great news for people that have build a GA Death army and want to continue playing it Vampire Counts style. But for me, I do not want primarily a GA army. I have seen what amazing creativity GW has unleashed on all its new Order releases and I love the hints of a new style for Death from the End times releases. I am waiting for a faction or two like that I can dedicate my (limited) hobby energy and rescources to.

With the announcement of MP, I really got the impression the time for Death to get it has come. Now we have to see "Yeah, it will be sometime this year, but first Order and Chaos get new toys". And what hints we do get (LoN being essentially Vampire Counts 2.0, the very traditional Shadespire Skeletons, The Ringwraith Knight of Shroud, rumors of Undead Orcs and Skaven) it does not look like GW will be all that innovative when they finally get around to doing New or Updated Death factions.

I guess I am about to jump ship on Death since it is still so unclear where the journey is going. I am sorry if my frustration with that is showing.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, DantePQ said:

Why people are upset about Death models ? 

Death has amazing range which isn't old at all, talk to Eldar players about new minis. Death has ET range and pre-ET range. And even still they got Shadespire unit and new MP hero. 

I don't know.. when centering a whole campaign around Death.. I think most people expect atleast something for Death to start of the campaign with. I.e Plastic Bloodknights. The Malign Portents stories are cool and such, but after seeing the Daughters of Khaine preview I am currently way more interested in buying a Daughters of Khaine Blood Coven  set instead one of the start collecting Death sets as my next painting project.. as atleast I know that when working on the Blood Coven set that in 2 months or so.. I could buy some nice new mini's to add to it.

While for Death... there are currently no "new" miniature wise nothing to get excited by.

Edit: @Rogue Explorator nailed it with his last post.

Edited by Tonhel
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm really liking the new Grot shaman. I had started my destruction army build out with Moonclan grots and was the fence about seeing that through as all Moonclan or mixed destruction. Honestly when this guy was first announced, my first reaction was "oh great, now I guess I have to do all Moonclan", but fortunately that seems not to be the case and I think I'm back on team mixed destruction, which I like better thematically.  So far in the MP videos he's been mentioned in, the shaman is spoken of as leading "green skins" that encompases goblins and orcs. I know it's probably just that he's leading forces of destruction into battle and I'm probably reading too much into it, but I wonder if we could see a destruction battle tome that gets the orc and goblins back together so to speak(minus savage orc and black orcs who of course have their own battletomes and factions now) and combine the Greenskinz and all the various grots into one faction. Overall he seems pretty solid and will be an instabuy for me.

The Knight of Shrouds is a little more underwhelming. It's nice to have something that buffs Nighthaunt, and just a new Nighthaunt models is nice to have too. So I'm not too disappointed myself, being that Nighthaunt is my main Death army, but I can definitively see why other death players would be disappointed by him.  His ethereal rule is different(and since it's the same name, I wouldn't be surprised to see the rest of Nighthaunt get it too) and somewhat interesting. On one hand it now protects against any ability that lowers save, not just rend, but the trade off is that their save can't be buffed, so now Nighthaunt can't benefit from cover.

(the sould blight warscrolls I've seen are blurry, so if I get something wrong, that's probably why) I love that Neferata now has the soulblight keyword. The ability to return models when there's nothing to heal is neat, though it looks like Blood Knights lose their innate ability to do so and would rely on her, so that's going to make some sad soulblight players sad, especially if they're heavily invested in blood knigts, but hopefully they get a point reduction. It'll be interesting to see the battletome and all the warscroll updates to see what Soulblight looks like as a total faction.

34 minutes ago, DantePQ said:

Why people are upset about Death models ? 

Death has amazing range which isn't old at all, talk to Eldar players about new minis. Death has ET range and pre-ET range. And even still they got Shadespire unit and new MP hero. 

Ok, this is little bit "funny". Death got one, literally one, new model since release of Age of Sigmar, and it is even not released yet. I do not count Shadespire warbands as they are specifically made for Shadespire not AoS. Compare it to Order Releases: Sylvaneth, Fyreslayers, Kharadron, Daughters of Khaine and this little faction, wait, how was it named, those guys in Golden Armor, Stormcasts or something along those lines.

Seriously I can only admire Death players which remained with their alliance till now. No new model releases, only rules so far. Not to mentioned TK are biting the dust for some time.

Luckily I play Chaos and I am more or less spoiled at least once a year. But the Daughters of Khaine, they so tempt me to look into Order side of the pond (back to my roots from the times of 5th edition).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jamopower said:

Or flame cannon, or dwarf bolt thrower...

Or a entire Kharadron Overlords Arkanaut Ironclad. All the dwarfen ships have the WAR MACHINE Keyword. A buff to hit rolls, plus re-rolling ones trough the Knight-Azyros and shooting twice because of the Ordinator will result in a exterminatus level of firepower. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Gecktron said:

Or a entire Kharadron Overlords Arkanaut Ironclad. All the dwarfen ships have the WAR MACHINE Keyword. A buff to hit rolls, plus re-rolling ones trough the Knight-Azyros and shooting twice because of the Ordinator will result in a exterminatus level of firepower. 

Too bad his command ability to fire twice requires him to be your general, so I can't just run him as an ally to my KOs to get his full benefit.

1 hour ago, Rogue Explorator said:

With a lot of people ready to start Death for it quite possibly jumping ship for Daughters of Khaine now (hell, I am almost ready to do so).

I have both armies and was waiting for expansion to both. Death is, by far, my fave (poor Tomb Kings). I was very excited for my jump back into Death with Malign Portents and Legion.

Now I'm ignoring Death (probably sell much of it off, tbh) and getting more Daughters.

Yep, poor Death.

Why everyone is so into argument that Order got more then Death it's true but Dwarf player wasn't interested in Sylvaneth etc. Order is huge and will get more models then other factions but there are hardly any Order players usually.This argument is flawed. There are number of factions that unlike Death have dated minis and didn't get anything in years. Death got Shadespire (which could be used in AoS) got new hero and are getting huge BT soon that's a lot combined with their great and quite new range. 

• Like 2