The Rumour Thread

7 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

I just feel like 3.0 has had such a rocky start hype wise. It feels like its over before it really began and we're straight back on the 40K train. Itll likely be 3 months since launch for our first tomes. I try to remain positive on here but this is starting to annoy me a little.

I totally agree, and it really does feel like the hype and positivity around AoS is dropping a lot. It's especially frustrating as it seems more to mismanagement rather than mistakes in the rules, and then other things beyond their control.

To put it in a timeline:

- The last few AoS releases, while looking amazing, have had bizarre hype cycle. Slaanesh was partially shown in November, then had its modsls spoiled in the Warcry book, then were all shown on Christmas, and then Cursed City, Lumineth, and Gravelords were shown before their release. Very hype killing for those interested

- Cursed City happened and this got a lot of people riled up against GW and their lack of communication and clarity 

- We had leaks of AoS 3s rules, and these spread around the internet. Certainly not reaching everyone but also being pretty widely known

- Everyone suspects AoS 3 is coming, so the hype on release is lessened as there's no surprise. There's still hype but maybe not quite as much

- Model descriptions start to be leaked, which is exciting when you first hear them but again takes away from the excitement on the official release as a lot of it turns into just waiting for confirmation

- Dominion is announced and it does look really cool, but Kruelboyz are a little divisive in appearance. Not only that, there's some confusion on how they'll be included in AoS rules (e.g. will they get their own battletome)

- Some of the rules were confirmed and proved controversial, such as 'Unleash Hell'. Regardless of how they've turned out, there definitely seemed to be more mixed opinions on the new rules. Many seemed to be an improvement, and some seemed to raise protest. In contrast to AoS 2 where the vast majority of rules were just a full upgrade to the more barebones AoS 1

- They do "how your army will be helped in AoS 3 articles" which end up being a bit of a damp squib. While they were designed for newer players, they didn't exactly seem exciting when they arrived. This is in contrast to AoS 2, which often previewed new summoning rules or GHB battletome stand ins for each faction - each preview seemed more important

- There was still a lot of excitement, but when Dominion is hyped so much and doesn't sell out of the limited coins, I think this 'worried' some people. Not that it was an indication of health of the game, but the excitement did seem lower on the forum as the hype wore off

- After a while, the FAQ dropped and that caused upset in some factions

- The new battletomes for the Dominion factions will likely arrive 2 months after the box, especially after being told it was a month. A lot of people have lost the excitement in this time

- There's also no GHB FAQ (or even knowledge that it will exist) which makes it feel like AoS has been hung to dry when 40k gets all of its rules. This isn't a good feeling after the new edition just dropped 

---

I think a lot of this could have been solved with better communication. While it's not as easy as it looks, as someone with experience in marketing, I think they've done a 'poor' job at it for 2020 and 2021. I'm sure it hasn't lost them money, but I think it has lost them goodwill and could spell issues in the future. Especially when it comes to changing information with silent erratas and hyping a faction up far too early in advance. 

• Like 15

The "Stealth Edit" is more GW just updating graphics and media and information so that they don't get legions of questions about it. I do agree a "sorry its not coming this week" would have been nice, but in the end we know what's happening next week and we can see that the schedule graphic has been updated. 

That isn't insulting us - its informing us. 

Perhaps not in the best way but it is. As for GW slipping dates - its Corona and all related aspects. Global trade is a nightmare right now; shipping anywhere is a pain and there are so many moving parts that one little slip can cause a cascade of delays. Not to mention GW is trying (best they can) to do global launches not just launches in one country. IT might be everything in the UK end is fine, but at the USA there's a shipping delay or such. 

In the end content IS coming. Heck don't forget last year 40K 9th edition landed right in the thick of things and still spent several months without their codex either. Actually I think they came in October

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6
  • LOVE IT! 1

2 hours ago, Overread said:

The "Stealth Edit" is more GW just updating graphics and media and information so that they don't get legions of questions about it. I do agree a "sorry its not coming this week" would have been nice, but in the end we know what's happening next week and we can see that the schedule graphic has been updated. 

Perhaps not in the best way but it is. As for GW slipping dates - its Corona and all related aspects. Global trade is a nightmare right now; shipping anywhere is a pain and there are so many moving parts that one little slip can cause a cascade of delays. Not to mention GW is trying (best they can) to do global launches not just launches in one country. IT might be everything in the UK end is fine, but at the USA there's a shipping delay or such. 

In the end content IS coming. Heck don't forget last year 40K 9th edition landed right in the thick of things and still spent several months without their codex either. Actually I think they came in October

The Space Marine codex was released in August. 

edit- Was wrong- October release for both!

And no, it is not informing us.  Informing us would be a new post that says hey this is the deal, and we've amended our past news to reflect the new date.  Going back and amending an old article that nobody is reading is 100 percent a CYA move. 

It is WELL past time to start expecting GW to act like a business that likes its customers and wants to have anything near a respectful relationship with them.  They act like any news related to their company is a state secret, and it has to be calculated for FOMO.  I am sick of it.  Totally sick of it.

Continually making excuses for a business that we all spend 100s if not 1000s supporting is not the play.

Edited by Austin
  • Like 11

15 minutes ago, Overread said:

I think people are mostly over the delays and have understood its part of life until changes come after Covid-19 is "under control". 

Its become about exactly what they don't say. We can take the rough news, because its news and informs us, its when you are not informed about quite literally anything until the last possible minute can come on to some as highly questionable and controversial. 

This leads to the constant speculation and doubt everyone currently experiences to some level especially here on this thread. We all know how its turning out right now, I dont  need to talk about the effects it has had on the community, but they are here and now. Question is now how to deal with this mess ourselves and be productive and not destructive. 

Edited by Blood0Tiger
Important note
  • Like 2

Another thing I'll mention. We need changes here on this thread because this always goes round to some extent daily and I'm sure the mods are tired of babysitting this thread like a day job.

• We have the  news thread, lets go use it and stop using this as general chat. I suggest renaming this to that is a first step to something. 
  • Mods I ask out of desire to contribute creatively and constructively and allow others to freely do so here without worrying about the negativity. Where can we go from here to make it easier on you as people to manage this because the current system is not working and brings us to the boiling point as many have mentioned today. 
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

It’s a very specific pandemic recovery that allows GW to release a 40k box, a 40k dual box, 40k battle sisters, 40k kill team, 2 40k FAQs and publish a 40k “roadmap”, but delays AoS battletomes, the AoS GhB FAQ, and AoS Forgeworld points. 

Very specific. Very specific indeed. Almost like they are prioritising one thing over the other.

I wonder if the pandemic recovery is also responsible for Warhammer+ being almost all 40k content also?

Edit: anyone else remember that time the pandemic meant there wasn’t enough data for AoS points updates, but there was enough data for 40k points updates? That’s so convenient. Turns out Covid is a massive 40k nut and just had it in for AoS all along.

Edited by PrimeElectrid
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 17
  • Sad 1

MOD NOTICE

Ok people lets step back from the dark depths of doom and gloom shall we. We ALL get disappointed with delays and cancelled projects and such. This is just a forum where fans gather to chat and have fun, we are not changing the policies of GW or anything. A little vent now and then is healthy, but lets avoid getting too far drawn into it.

I'm willing to bet we've all got models to build, paint and more - perhaps this evening is the day to put down the keyboard, pick up the camera, snap a few photos and show off your latest painted model, or conversion, or table, or such. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

I think AOS has outsold WFB by a margin, so no worries. We've had an amazing 12 months of x3 new armies, Broken Realms and a new Ed. 40k has suffered with mostly books since 9th Ed was launched and I think they are brining stuff forward due to the app issue, but getting new kits into their biggest line is no bad thing.  

When the app gets out, and we get new books, I'm sure some kind of roadmap that we've seen for every game other than AOS would go down a treat. They need to invest more in a dev team for sure, but at this point in the project that is probably a bad idea. 

I'll be buying the Old World on day one, and still keep my 10k+ points of AOS. 

• Like 1

On an upbeat note, on some level this delay does give people more time to finish hobby stuff and buy books or models they want before prepping their hobby spaces and wallets for the deluge of Stormcast and Orruks a few weeks or so down the road. Especially for people who haven't finishes up their Dominion minis yet.

Returning to the ostensible point of the thread, I wanted to know if anyone has tried to look through the Corebook to see if any potential shift in lore is mentioned for the Chaos factions, anything pointing to the one army getting the release later this year.

• Like 1

Just now, Ar-Pharazôn said:

Returning to the ostensible point of the thread, I wanted to know if anyone has tried to look through the Corebook to see if any potential shift in lore is mentioned for the Chaos factions, anything pointing to the one army getting the release later this year.

From my observations, I cannot speculate that much because its mostly the current information to get people caught up or interested at a starting point. Not much specific details I could mention

1 minute ago, Ar-Pharazôn said:

On an upbeat note, on some level this delay does give people more time to finish hobby stuff and buy books or models they want before prepping their hobby spaces and wallets for the deluge of Stormcast and Orruks a few weeks or so down the road. Especially for people who haven't finishes up their Dominion minis yet.

Reckoning a move from Ghur to Ulugu in 2022. Skaven vis Umbraneth. 

1 hour ago, Austin said:

The Space Marine codex was released in August.  

And no, it is not informing us.  Informing us would be a new post that says hey this is the deal, and we've amended our past news to reflect the new date.  Going back and amending an old article that nobody is reading is 100 percent a CYA move. 

It is WELL past time to start expecting GW to act like a business that likes its customers and wants to have anything near a respectful relationship with them.  They act like any news related to their company is a state secret, and it has to be calculated for FOMO.  I am sick of it.  Totally sick of it.

Continually making excuses for a business that we all spend 100s if not 1000s supporting is not the play.

The Space Marine (and Necron) codex was released at the beginning of October (the 3rd I think), leaving more than two months between that and the release of Indomitus (25th of July): https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/09/28/a-new-chapter-of-codex-space-marines/

Not trying to be pedantic or saying I agree with it, but since comparisons are understandably made with AOS, it might be nice to clear up the timeline a bit.

• Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 1

18 minutes ago, Zeblasky said:

It kinda feels that GW can be either focused on AoS or 40k, they just can't keep the balance well enough between them. Or may be that's the point, to move the centre of hype between them.

Their loss, interest will pick up to the community and maybe someone makes something

1 hour ago, Overread said:

MOD NOTICE

Ok people lets step back from the dark depths of doom and gloom shall we. We ALL get disappointed with delays and cancelled projects and such. This is just a forum where fans gather to chat and have fun, we are not changing the policies of GW or anything. A little vent now and then is healthy, but lets avoid getting too far drawn into it.

I'm willing to bet we've all got models to build, paint and more - perhaps this evening is the day to put down the keyboard, pick up the camera, snap a few photos and show off your latest painted model, or conversion, or table, or such. 

Yes!! 

In the grand scheme of things, a week (or more) delay isn't that big a deal. 

Means my waaaaagh can grow!! 

Almost done these bad boys and then some more kruleboyz. 

Will make a post in the hobby section tomorrow when I get some pics 

Just remember, the more you paint now, the bigger the painted army you'll have when the battletomes drop!!! 

IMG_20210822_235808.jpg

Edited by Ogregut
  • Like 7
  • LOVE IT! 2

2 hours ago, Celestantpants said:

My issue isn't the delay.  Things happen, I get it.  My issue is the stealth edit and lack of communication.  Those together are just beyond the pale imo.  Like who are they trying to fool?  Do they really think the stealth edit will work?  It's insulting and basically makes THEM look stupid, trying to pretend they never said something that we all read and that several people in this very thread have proven that they said. 

In what way does doing this actually help?  Who was the genius that said "Yeah, let's pretend we never said it would be out in August and then edit our articles to reflect that!  No one will notice and if they do we can say that our articles never said August!  I mean, it's not like we posted said articles on the internet where people can save them and then easily prove we are lying!"  And who was the genius that said in response to that "brilliant let's run with that!"  

It makes them look scummy ( which it seems they are) and makes them look stupid ( which maybe they are?)  It boggles the mind frankly.

God so much this.

Just a simple "Sorry but we got COVID delayed, but hang on, its coming real soon" would have sufficed. Yeah ****** happens, we understand.

But the sheepish stealth edit stuff is definitely more childish than people simply asking them for an updated date

• Like 5

I genuinely don't think AoS is being treated any worse than 40k was at launch. They also had a considerable wait for the first codexes. The disappointment comes because I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on those dragons, and to see what a third edition battletome looks like. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Chikout said:

I genuinely don't think AoS is being treated any worse than 40k was at launch. They also had a considerable wait for the first codexes. The disappointment comes because I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on those dragons, and to see what a third edition battletome looks like. 

well i think COVID and the UK lockdown where happen around the time so it was understandable by the community, plus GW where more tight lip last year and didn't really specify when anything was going to be release for SM and Necrons. here they actual committed to a month for the release

Edited by novakai