The Rumour Thread

2 minutes ago, Jamie the Jasper said:

I don't think Forgeworld have quite succeeded in capturing the vibe of AoS yet. The few things they've put out seem very dark, gritty and down to earth - they really need to go more high fantasy and OTT. It used to be that GW proper did the basic stuff and the Forgeworld stuff was absolutely mind blowing by comparison, but now the GW plastics are just so much better than Forgeworld's efforts.

See funnily enough  in this case it feels like the opposite is true.

I would agree with 100% in other instances but now i look at it he actually looks a little to cartoony to me. Especially wen you compare him to a bloodthirster.

• Like 1

nope, not mentioned back them, just a new Khorgorath kit which was mentioned last summer coming from GW.

I'd imagine they will go through all the existing ones and update them though, what was the first one out? Must've been STE right? Seraphon and Pestilens were pretty early on?

Wasnt it something like this...correct me if I'm wrong

Stormcast

Khorne BB

Seraphon

Pestilens

FLE Courts

Everchosen

Extremis Chambers

BCR

Sylvaneth

Its kind 

3 minutes ago, James McPherson said:

If it's both combat phases, which it's kinda worded as, ie your opponents and yours, then yeah it goes up to a possible 14 attacks that hit on a 3+ wound on a 3+ and do 3 damage, so by the end of the game that's like 42 damage!

Its kind of like skarbrand all over again. Just dont get caught up.in prolonged combat with this.guy. his damage potential does have the right to be huge he is khornes after all . . . .

14 minutes ago, Jamie the Jasper said:

I don't think Forgeworld have quite succeeded in capturing the vibe of AoS yet. The few things they've put out seem very dark, gritty and down to earth - they really need to go more high fantasy and OTT. It used to be that GW proper did the basic stuff and the Forgeworld stuff was absolutely mind blowing by comparison, but now the GW plastics are just so much better than Forgeworld's efforts.

Skaarac was just a recycle of the old K'daai Destroyer model for Chaos Dwarves that never got released as it was mid-way through a re-design.

I don't know about this guy's background but I did meet the designer who made him at the AOS open day. He said it was fun to sculpt some organic material by hand and combine it with some CAD for the hard edges/hard lines, so what you are seeing is probably a hybrid sculpt of hand sculpted work and Zbrush/CG that is 3d printed for the armour and hard bits. That's probably why it's a bit confusing aesthetically. I think the designers are slowly trying out new techniques and learning new ways to make minis. I think you have to look further than the mini's appearance at face value.

With HH dominating FW they don't get to make a lot of stuff, the best way to see more come from them is to support them with your wallet, the more they sell the more they will put resources into AOS.

Edited by James McPherson

7 minutes ago, KHHaunts said:

See funnily enough  in this case it feels like the opposite is true.

I would agree with 100% in other instances but now i look at it he actually looks a little to cartoony to me. Especially wen you compare him to a bloodthirster.

'Cartoony' actually covers a lot of different styles though, but generally you're talking exaggerated proportions and a highly stylised look. Both this new Khorne guy and the newest GW plastics have that, but I'd say GW's execution feels more accomplished, distinctive and detailed than FW's. The stuff FW have been putting out for AoS looks like it belongs in any number of generic 3rd party fantasy miniatures ranges. It's just not cutting it as the mind-blowing, premium priced cousin to the main AoS range that it presumably wants to style itself as.

I remember seeing things like the Chaos War Mammoth and Bloodthirster for the first time and being absolutely blown away by how epic, detailed and high quality they looked compared to the standard GW range. It was like night and day. Forgeworld have unfortunately failed to keep up with the massive strides GW have taken in recent years. Yet their large scale centrepiece models still cost more than the superior GW plastic equivalent.

They really need to up their game, but I doubt anyone on the FW team cares enough about AoS to do that. So they'll just continue releasing the occasional uninspiring, off-looking, overpriced model and claim there's no demand when people spend their money on things like the plastic Lord of Change or Archaon instead.

28 minutes ago, James McPherson said:

Skaarac was just a recycle of the old K'daai Destroyer model for Chaos Dwarves that never got released as it was mid-way through a re-design.

I don't know about this guy's background but I did meet the designer who made him at the AOS open day. He said it was fun to sculpt some organic material by hand and combine it with some CAD for the hard edges/hard lines, so what you are seeing is probably a hybrid sculpt of hand sculpted work and Zbrush/CG that is 3d printed for the armour and hard bits. That's probably why it's a bit confusing aesthetically. I think the designers are slowly trying out new techniques and learning new ways to make minis. I think you have to look further than the mini's appearance at face value.

With HH dominating FW they don't get to make a lot of stuff, the best way to see more come from them is to support them with your wallet, the more they sell the more they will put resources into AOS.

I think they've been churning out tanks and futuristic war machines for so long that their organic sculpting has become very rusty. If they really want to get back to the point where their resin centerpiece models are superior to GW's plastic centerpiece models then they've got a bit of a hill to climb. And if FW stuff isn't better than the cheaper GW stuff then really, what's the point of them? They might as well stick to tanks, which is probably exactly what they'll do. That said, I can imagine FW coming out with some absolutely insane large-scale constructs for Steamhead Duardin.

I think it's a bit crazy to suggest that in the meantime people should pay for high priced, uninspiring sculpts that don't even look like they belong to the AoS range in the hope that it will encourage them to improve.

Picture by way of example. The FW model costs £70, the GW one costs £66. Why on earth would anyone choose the Forgewold model?

Untitled-1.jpg

Edited by Guest
Added Picture

I love that FW do things that GW don’t, and I really like the gritty grimy feel that a lot of the FW stuff has. I’m loving AoS and have loved the releases that we’ve seen from GW so far, but not enough to actually want to buy any of them. My money is currently all going on FW stuff…and if I’m honest I prefer the guy on the left.

8 minutes ago, EvDJ said:

I love that FW do things that GW don’t, and I really like the gritty grimy feel that a lot of the FW stuff has. I’m loving AoS and have loved the releases that we’ve seen from GW so far, but not enough to actually want to buy any of them. My money is currently all going on FW stuff…and if I’m honest I prefer the guy on the left.

Fair enough, we all have different tastes. To me the guy on the left looks like a half-arsed lump of very expensive resin that someone made up as they went along, then left out in the sun too long, whereas the Glottkin looks like something that somebody actually went to the trouble to design.

And are Forgeworld really doing stuff that GW won't these days, at least for AoS? These days I wouldn't put it past GW to do just about anything. The latest Forgeworld models seem to be less impressive and less coherent riffs on things GW have already done.

Out of interest, what AoS stuff have you bought from Forgeworld?

24 minutes ago, Jamie the Jasper said:

Fair enough, we all have different tastes. To me the guy on the left looks like a half-arsed lump of very expensive resin that someone made up as they went along, then left out in the sun too long, whereas the Glottkin looks like something that somebody actually went to the trouble to design.

And are Forgeworld really doing stuff that GW won't these days, at least for AoS? These days I wouldn't put it past GW to do just about anything. The latest Forgeworld models seem to be less impressive and less coherent riffs on things GW have already done.

Out of interest, what AoS stuff have you bought from Forgeworld?

Ah ya see the FW model reminds of the Realms of Chaos stuff from 3rd edition, I love that feeling that it is just a viscous, decaying mass of corrupted flesh, it looks like it’s constantly on the verge of disintegrating, while corrupting anything it wallows towards…very John Blanche’sk. I just think FW’s stuff is more just more gritty, which appeals to both my aesthetic sense and painting style.

I have a bucked load of the chaos dwarf stuff, some of the skin wolves (who are truly unpleasant to look at), warpfire dragon, and skaven on brood horror, to name some. Skaarac, Tamurkhan, the Fimirach, Bonegrinder Giant, and some planned Chaos ogre conversions using the renegade ogryn are on the list of things to buy.

5 minutes ago, EvDJ said:

Ah ya see the FW model reminds of the Realms of Chaos stuff from 3rd edition, I love that feeling that it is just a viscous, decaying mass of corrupted flesh, it looks like it’s constantly on the verge of disintegrating, while corrupting anything it wallows towards…very John Blanche’sk. I just think FW’s stuff is more just more gritty, which appeals to both my aesthetic sense and painting style.

I have a bucked load of the chaos dwarf stuff, some of the skin wolves (who are truly unpleasant to look at), warpfire dragon, and skaven on brood horror, to name some. Skaarac, Tamurkhan, the Fimirach, Bonegrinder Giant, and some planned Chaos ogre conversions using the renegade ogryn are on the list of things to buy.

I do think some of those sculpts they did in the last years of WHFB are quite nice, but even then they were diverging from the aesthetic established by the main design studio. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong, but I see FW's purpose as being to complement the main range whilst pushing the quality of execution even further, not to just go off and do stuff that has very little obvious connection to AoS either conceptually or aesthetically. I'd suggest, perhaps controversially, that Forgeworld's AoS output doesn't really distinguish itself from any number of other third party miniature studios that riff off the Warhammer IP. I can appreciate your preference for the Realms of Chaos style, which was and is very cool, but I'd prefer that Forgeworld reflect the current aesthetic whilst offering something that GW can't do, not just something they happen not to be doing, probably for good reason.

It actually drives me nuts that Skaarac is meant to be a Korgorath when he looks absolutely nothing like the Khorgorath from the starter set. I would love to have a giant Khorgorath, but Skaarac just isn't it. Yeah, I get that he was salvaged from a different concept, but it's different enough from its original incarnation that they must have had numerous opportunities to introduce details that would bring it more in line with the main studio sculpt, but they chose not to.

6 minutes ago, Jamie the Jasper said:

I do think some of those sculpts they did in the last years of WHFB are quite nice, but even then they were diverging from the aesthetic established by the main design studio. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong, but I see FW's purpose as being to complement the main range whilst pushing the quality of execution even further, not to just go off and do stuff that has very little obvious connection to AoS either conceptually or aesthetically. I'd suggest, perhaps controversially, that Forgeworld's AoS output doesn't really distinguish itself from any number of other third party miniature studios that riff off the Warhammer IP. I can appreciate your preference for the Realms of Chaos style, which was and is very cool, but I'd prefer that Forgeworld reflect the current aesthetic whilst offering something that GW can't do, not just something they happen not to be doing, probably for good reason.

It actually drives me nuts that Skaarac is meant to be a Korgorath when he looks absolutely nothing like the Khorgorath from the starter set. I would love to have a giant Khorgorath, but Skaarac just isn't it. Yeah, I get that he was salvaged from a different concept, but it's different enough from its original incarnation that they must have had numerous opportunities to introduce details that would bring it more in line with the main studio sculpt, but they chose not to.

Each to their own i suppose.

18 minutes ago, Jamie the Jasper said:

Interestingly, to me nothing looks as comically daft and badly made as the starter set khorgorath.

This is a taste thing though. A talented designer designed it. And tried hard!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Turragor said:

Interestingly, to me nothing looks as comically daft and badly made as the starter set khorgorath.

This is a taste thing though. A talented designer designed it. And tried hard!

Yeah, absolutely. It took a while to grow on me I'll admit. But like it or not, it does have a very distinctive and stylised look that the Forgeworld Khorgorath hasn't even bothered to pay lip service to.

8 minutes ago, Jamie the Jasper said:

Yeah, absolutely. It took a while to grow on me I'll admit. But like it or not, it does have a very distinctive and stylised look that the Forgeworld Khorgorath hasn't even bothered to pay lip service to.

Yeah my previous comment wasent suggesting that the sculpt is bade by any stretch of the imagination. It just looked a little off as an AOS model. Perhaps a different paint scheme will sort it out?

20 minutes ago, KHHaunts said:

Yeah my previous comment wasent suggesting that the sculpt is bade by any stretch of the imagination. It just looked a little off as an AOS model. Perhaps a different paint scheme will sort it out?

I guess we're veering off topic here, but I'd say the Khorgorath looked off as a WHFB model, which is mainly what we had to compare it to at the time. Same for the Wrathmongers, which people complained were too big, exaggerated and over the top when they were released for End Times. I think with hindsight they fit very well into the exaggerated high fantasy style of AoS. A lot of the old range looks quite mundane by comparison. And to swing us back on topic slightly, perhaps it's this stylistic shift that Forgeworld needs to catch up with and start reflecting in future pieces.

5 minutes ago, Jamie the Jasper said:

I guess we're veering off topic here, but I'd say the Khorgorath looked off as a WHFB model, which is mainly what we had to compare it to at the time. Same for the Wrathmongers, which people complained were too big, exaggerated and over the top when they were released for End Times. I think with hindsight they fit very well into the exaggerated high fantasy style of AoS. A lot of the old range looks quite mundane by comparison. And to swing us back on topic slightly, perhaps it's this stylistic shift that Forgeworld needs to catch up with and start reflecting in future pieces.

I dont think discussing the new release is to of topic especially in the absence if any decent rumors.

But yes i would agree with you. Other than a few extra models in the range im struggling to justify their existance to myself nowdays or at the very least (As obviously they provide many heresy and 40k bits) the premium prices we are expected to pay for models that are really lacking.

IIRC, Forgeworld wasn't informed about the change to AoS until veeeeeeeeery late in the process. Hence the late warscrolls. It also means that the fantasy forge, which they had already scrapped, had to be rebuilt with a completely new aesthetic in mind. One that doesn't mesh with 30k or 40k-gritty-esque models.

Combine that with GW's massive increase in quality since the End Times, Forgeworld is likely going to flounder for a while before they find their niche. Honestly, proper upgrade kits for models (Stormcast chambers, anyone?) might actually be the best way for them to approach this.

Oh, and Forgeworld-made Tomb Kings ;)

• Like 1

I have seen the repackaged unit of Judicators, but I see no options for the long range crossbows we've seen in some of the leaked pictures. I was of the impression that in that image we were seeing new Judicator options.

Could it be I was wrong and there will be a whole new unit of these long crossbow-wielding stormcasts??

If so I may want to hold on pre-ordering the 10 Judicator box...