AoS 2 - Hedonites of Slaanesh Discussion

HERO

On 12/23/2020 at 9:57 AM, Enoby said:

Looks like there's a good chance we'll see our new models on Christmas, and get a battletome in February  

I agree; we were probably going to be released in January, but due to recent surge in the disease and Brexit the battletomb has been moved to February. For those who haven’t seen the official statement by GW, here’s the link: GW’s updates on release schedules

On 12/23/2020 at 10:05 AM, Overread said:

I just really hope we get some hints of a new Battletome and perhaps a reworking of somethings. I'd also sort of welcome a new demon monster, fiends are great but they need a friend!

This years Christmas is going to get a lot more exciting for me knowing that there’s going to be some teases, and I’m also hoping we get some hints at what the new battletomb entails. I really want to see how Sigvald plays. My guess is that, much like his fantasy counterpart, he’s going to be a high damage duelist/beatstick. I’m also hoping to see what the rest of the range looks like, especially the Slaangors and the rumored “lord of war” that’s to be released.  

Edited by AngryPanda
  • Like 2

I really hope that if it is a new Hedonites battletome (it's looking very likely now) that it really is a full top-down rewrite and not just a patchjob with some new toys. Currently, 6 Fiends costs the same as 1 Keeper of Secrets, and if you had to choose one or the other you'd be a fool to even bother with the former in a competitive list. The same is true of pretty much anything that isn't Battleline, and even then, I hope they address the Hellstrider situation either by reverting that change or giving us a few new options for those that don't want to run Slaves or Depraved Drove - currently, our only in-book Battleline units are Daemonettes.

I'm expecting new sub-factions and probably Syll'Esskan Host becoming a fully fledged host in the book, and while that's all well and good, it's all irrelevant if the book continues to reward taking heroes and punishing you for investing in anything else. Depravity needs to change, and our over-reliance on Keepers (many of our units don't stack up offensively compared to contemporaries in other books unless they are double piling-in) needs to go. Fixing Depravity will help give purpose to our smaller (less Depravity efficient) heroes, and let our cool units like Fiends and the new Myrmidesh and so on do the heavy lifting as they should. 

I love the army and have played it extensively at tournaments for two years now, but it just isn't fun playing the same type of list over and over again. I love that it lets you play herohammer, but when herohammer is all you've got that works, it gets uninteresting for everyone - particularly opponents - real fast. I won't be sad if it is just a patchjob, and it won't deter me from the new mortal stuff or anything, but I really do hope it is a full on revamp, especially after all the erratas make entire sections of the book redundant anyway. Playing Slaanesh right now just feels like a bit of a chore, especially when you often rack up 200+ Depravity points per game (Syll'Esskan Host) - what's the point of having that many summoning points when you know you're just gonna summon the same units over and over again, models permitting? It's not interesting or rewarding in the slightest, and it's massively unfun for opponents even if they win. 

Rant aside, I'm genuinely excited for whatever we end up getting. Even if Depravity stays the same, the promise of changes elsewhere (particularly to warscrolls, as we've seen with the Hellstrider improvements) the new units and almost certainly new sub-factions (most books nowadays tend to have six, and six is...you know) will still spice things up plenty. If nothing else, we're going to end up having one of the most complete, high quality ranges in AoS - a far cry from the situation we were in just a few years ago. 

Edited by Jaskier
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Jaskier said:

really hope that if it is a new Hedonites battletome (it's looking very likely now) that it really is a full top-down rewrite and not just a patchjob with some new toys.

Same here - if we get a new battletome, it should be done right and be a proper redo rather than just adding warscrolls to the old battletome. 

It seems our old battletome was a placeholder for daemons, with there only being three mortal hedonite units (2 being one kit, and one being Archaon) none of which could be the focus of the battletome. A proper look at the roles of each unit in the battletome would be great - seeing how each unit has its own place and special rules interaction. At the moment, nothing seems to have a clearly defined role which is better than a KoS. 

Out of this possible new battletome, I would love if it was a chance for us to get a fully balanced army - one where you can take a mix of everything, or just mortals or just daemons, and be well off.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Enoby said:

Out of this possible new battletome, I would love if it was a chance for us to get a fully balanced army - one where you can take a mix of everything, or just mortals or just daemons, and be well off.

I'd just be happy to be able to use Fiends in a rather competitive way. I only use them on 40K and that's a shame. Model is one of the best if not the best in the new line.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Goorie said:

I'd just be happy to be able to use Fiends in a rather competitive way. I only use them on 40K and that's a shame. Model is one of the best if not the best in the new line.

Yeah, I agree with this. I love the fiend models and have a lot of them myself, but they just don't do enough to enjoy bringing them. What would you like seeing changed on them?

35 minutes ago, Enoby said:

Yeah, I agree with this. I love the fiend models and have a lot of them myself, but they just don't do enough to enjoy bringing them. What would you like seeing changed on them?

Point reduction and a dedicated battalion. That'll do the trick I think.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jaskier said:

"well a Keeper does that better." 

This. This is the main problem. The KoS is an absolut beast. It shadows everything else in the book.

Let's see if we get some new daemon battalions that put the demons up to speed with the KoS spam.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jaskier said:

I'd give either their Stingers or Claws Rend -2 as well. While I wouldn't call them pillow-fisted, they aren't really so good against heavily armoured enemies, which again just leads us back to "well a Keeper does that better." 

I agree that Fiends should get a buff, or at least a point reduction. As it’s been highlighted, the KoS is too good not to include, and causes the Fiends to be easily overshadowed. 

On paper, fiends look promising; they’re more tailored toward dealing with multi-wound units, such as elite infantry, cavalry, or monstrous creatures. The poison tail attacks have the potential to deal a lot of damage to larger models. However, in practice they fail to deliver. The additional rend will help them do what they’re suppose to do: hunt down high wound/tougher units.

They’re weakness however, should be horde units that bog them down and take away their potential to cause high damage to single or elite targets. The KoS is the jack-of-all-trades unit that can be a menace to anything, but the negative is the high point cost. Fiends should be more tailored to fill a specific role, and therefore be cheaper. Hopefully the new battletomb recognizes this, and adjusts their profiles and points accordingly. 

• Like 2

You know what I like about the mounted units? It shows how plebian the hellstriders are considering the lore around them, those riding the exalted steeds had to tame them, while Hellstriders were given that offer because they kinda sucked and were desperate. 

• Like 1

What I love is those new mounts look suitably big compared to their riders! No hunched hulk straddling a tiny mount; that's a large mount with rider and the new poses are outstanding! Sure the current seekers are nice, but those new ones are fantastic! 

Love the new ground units too! I'm liking that GW is branching out too from just swords and spears, the Hedonites have some suitably fine and fancy weapons and poses. Loving this! 

• Like 1

As a proud owner of 20 Seekers and 10 Hellstriders, I can say with confidence that I want at least 30 Exalted Seekers. Those models are SICK! Slaangors look really depraved and intimidating compared to Tzaangors, and the Archers look great too. 

Also, we've got confirmation of that palanquin-riding model thanks to the cover reveal.
I'm super excited for the new book! Gonna be saving all my pennies :D  

Two key things I just noticed in the video; Slaangors are definitely on 40mms, and they look to come in units of three. The Warcry Slaangor had 3 wounds, right? Seems like they're going to be more analogous to Tzaangor Enlightened on foot than regular Tzaangors. 

Edited by Jaskier
  • Like 3

Wahoo, I got my niche wish: slaangors are 40mm base 3 model units. That ogor gluttons box is gonna be converted into hedogors! Hellstrider shields for gutplates, but I'm not sure where I'll find correct sized crab claws apart from on slaangors and I'd rather not buy the box just for those bits.

The exalted seekers look brill, keeping the excellent design of the current range but giving them more dynamism.

And of course the battletome cover has a sneak peak for the big war platform, which appears to have more architecture stuff going on than the STD warshrine. I assume it's not the newborn, though could be wrong.

A lot of people might be disappointed that it's out in February but as someone with a whole shelf of unfinished slaanesh conversions... I'm grateful for the extra time.

Edited by Klamm
  • Like 6

Oh I realised another reason I like the new seekers - the way the rider is mounted is similar to how the Diaz Seekers are ridden - instead of straddled its more perched and crouched atop. Suggesting that in any moment a lot of motion is about to happen. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Goorie said:

I’ve been waiting since the Cult of Slaanesh for a release like this . I do not mind waiting a pinch more...

I'm in a similar boat, I have been waiting for this for a long time. Also I need to catch up on my backlog, just like Klamm.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gorthor21 said:

Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy when my predictions are true 

Same, though I predicted the games workshop Christmas video would be less surprising than the Kevin Spacey Christmas video. So maybe not THAT warm and fuzzy.

Edited by Klamm

Wow, some of the best humans they‘ve ever sculpted.

What a wonderful range!

I‘m instantly in love (meaning bewitched) with that range of models. They‘re a good creative counterpoint to my SoB (Sisters of Battle, you know, the stiff & righteous ones), too.

• Like 2

This was mentioned, but for reference take a look at the background scenery of the battletomb; this might be the big lord of war that’s been rumored and that was seen in the background of the teaser video. It looks like a bunch of snake men carrying someone sitting on a throne. There’s also a lot of snake iconography centered around whoever is sitting at the center. GW always likes to hint at what’s to come, and I’m hopeful this is a teaser for something much bigger. 

87931AF3-529F-4F55-80AC-F7B36F3529D4.png

• Like 1