Do you play with just the core rules?

Moldek

I’m mostly on the hobby side if age of sigmar right now, and I mostly play with my girlfriend. With all the monetary and time investment that getting even a small army and nice table represents, I don’t see myself buying the yearly ghb. I have the basic core rules booklet, skirmish rules from WD and with the compendium pdf + the warscrolls included in each box it feels like I can already have a lot of fun without dropping tens to hundreds of euros in battletomes, GHB etc.

does anyone else play with mostly free rules? Would you recommend any books as good value for a casual non competitive player? Any advice / opinions? I’m curious as a lot of people on the forum seem very invested in the tournament scene , I wonder if there are people on the other side of the coin :)

17 minutes ago, Carnelian said:

That's how I play 40k

Oh I didn’t know there was the same free rules system in 40k now, that’s pretty cool. Reading WD or the forums it really feels like you have to buy codexes/battletomes, get the newest expansions etc. I get that deeper rules are interesting but it can feel a bit overwhelming sometimes...

1 hour ago, Moldek said:

I’m mostly on the hobby side if age of sigmar right now, and I mostly play with my girlfriend. With all the monetary and time investment that getting even a small army and nice table represents, I don’t see myself buying the yearly ghb. I have the basic core rules booklet, skirmish rules from WD and with the compendium pdf + the warscrolls included in each box it feels like I can already have a lot of fun without dropping tens to hundreds of euros in battletomes, GHB etc.

does anyone else play with mostly free rules? Would you recommend any books as good value for a casual non competitive player? Any advice / opinions? I’m curious as a lot of people on the forum seem very invested in the tournament scene , I wonder if there are people on the other side of the coin :)

You may be able to find the older GHB's on ebay for cheap, they have a bunch of battleplans.  

37 minutes ago, chord said:

You may be able to find the older GHB's on ebay for cheap, they have a bunch of battleplans.  

That’s a good idea actually, battleplans seem like one of the best arguments for buying this.

7 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

I mostly only play with the core rules but the only reason for that is that 70% of my games are introduction games and I don‘t want to scare the possible newcomers away.

Yeah I get that, specially with people not familiar with wargames it’s already a lot of concepts to grasp!

I play with just the Core Rules when I'm teaching the game to new players. With all the Warscrolls being free and being able to use the Warscoll builder to get the point values for mostly even forces, there is no downside to having fun with just the basics. Simple core rules games are a lot of fun and thanks to all the battle plans included in the Core book they are very varied and interesting games.  I do like adding more rules after a few games as I feel GW has designed some really cool mechanics with the battalions, allegiance abilities and endless spells. I also like buying all the books to read the lore and see how the story progresses. 

I also recommend playing through a skirmish campaign and then leveling up to a Path to Glory campaign as you expand your forces and jumping into the full game once you've played through all that. 

I mostly stick to free rules, as I don't think it is worth it to keep up with all the updates and constantly buying stuff that will often be "officially" obsolete a few months later. Feels like an unending race with little reward. I guess that is simply what a company wants from customers (this applies to many fields).

As @chord points out, GHB are good material if buying the older versions for cheap. Know this FLGS that sells  the out-of-date versions for a mere 5€! Which is good, no way on earth I'd pay 25€ though... Actually any AoS book for 20% original price should be a decent addition (I got Malign Portents for similar price, and the little rules for Shyish battles are very fun).

If looking beyond AoS, there is obviously the posibility to fit your models to other (free) gaming systems or using other books (ex: Whfb) to draw inspiration or just adapt those rules in a AoS way. 

1 hour ago, Wraith01 said:

I also recommend playing through a skirmish campaign and then leveling up to a Path to Glory campaign as you expand your forces and jumping into the full game once you've played through all that. 

Yeah, I’m looking at the skirmish campaign from february’s WD, maybe path to glory later. I really like campaigns with evolving warbands, so we may switch to warcry when it comes out too!

1 hour ago, VBS said:

I mostly stick to free rules, as I don't think it is worth it to keep up with all the updates and constantly buying stuff that will often be "officially" obsolete a few months later. Feels like an unending race with little reward. I guess that is simply what a company wants from customers (this applies to many fields).

As @chord points out, GHB are good material if buying the older versions for cheap. Know this FLGS that sells  the out-of-date versions for a mere 5€! Which is good, no way on earth I'd pay 25€ though... Actually any AoS book for 20% original price should be a decent addition (I got Malign Portents for similar price, and the little rules for Shyish battles are very fun).

If looking beyond AoS, there is obviously the posibility to fit your models to other (free) gaming systems or using other books (ex: Whfb) to draw inspiration or just adapt those rules in a AoS way. 

You make some good points, in general I try to approach the hobby with the idea of playing / painting what I already have instead of keeping up with the releases. That way when I buy something I know I’ll get my money’s worth instead of putting it in the closet of shame...

I’ll definitely look into getting second hand books as battleplans seem key to keep the game fresh.

Regarding alternative rules I have a couple that I want to try at some point, song of blades and heroes and tje fantasy version of Grimdark Future. Since my gf is new to this I think I’ll try to keep with official rules for a while as it’s easier to approach than houseruling :)

I'm casual and collect lots of armies. With 40k I still use the indexes and mostly power levels, but write in updated FAQ points. I'd rather swap units around and the synergies, while cool, can get overwhelming with Command Points, Strategems, and unique buffs. I do pretty much the same with AOS using the core rules, but I like the look of Endless Spells so I use them too.

I find spice in the variety, playing with the Realm rules in pretty much every game, and trying to play as many of the narrative battleplans as I can.

I do love racking up and playing a random matched play mission every now and again as a palette cleanser though!

It’s odd I like having lots of rules available, more the merrier, and I love coming up with new ones to make terrain more interesting etc etc. I see it all like a big sandbox and you just take what you need at that particular moment to have fun.

But saying that increasingly I’m playing even more bare bones than just the core rules. I have a lot more fun just setting models up, cracking open a beer or two, and just moving ****** around whilst making up a story with the odd dice roll there for added theatre.

Currently I’ve got some Stormcast on the table locked in a life and death (& then reforging I guess) struggle with an Ambull that fell through an inter dimensional portal when a Tzeentch magister ****** up a spell next to a realm gate.

100% tournament standard.

It depends I guess.

I usually only use the core rules and the free to download warscroll, when I’m introducing some newcomers into the game.

Playing against friends you’ll see me often using the core rulebook, battletome and the ghb.

On events or tournaments I make usage of every rulebook, expansions etc. That I find necessary and are available for my armies 

I do!

I teach the game a lot and often when doing so I try to finagle non-nerd friends into playing, which means keeping it to warscrolls and core rules only.  After about 25 such games, I have found that I actually prefer it that way, although I'd add in allegiance abilities to help keep the armies having that little additional flavor.  Battalion rules, artifacts, and command traits apparently add more complexity than I'm into, even though that's how I played the first 8 months of my AoS life.  Nobody I know uses realm or terrain features anyway (although many regulars take the best artifacts from realms that they can).    It's hard to go back to all that convolution;  I find myself playing simple games with my wife and non-gamestore friends more and more frequently and playing the experienced people less and less. 

I think its great to play however you find fun.  That said, if you do want to expand, many of the books are considerably cheaper on the AoS App.  So they are locked to just the app, that is the trade off but some of them are like 50% off.  For example, I got the brand new Blades of Khorne book on the app for $20 USD instead of $40 USD for physical. 

Something to consider if you want to expand a bit.

Archived