5kaven5lave

18 hours ago, deumosd said:

Hi All,

Just wondered if I could please pick some of your brains?

I have entered the meeting engagements tournament this Sunday. Now I have not actually played any meeting engagements battles yet (I know bad preparation) (also first proper tournament) but have been tinkering with lists. What do people think of the following please- if you have any ideas.

List 1:

Spearhead:  20x clan rats

Main Body:

Warpseer- general

40x clan rats

Rear guard:

Warplock engineer

3x stormfeinds

List 2: (more for fun)

3x stormfeinds

Main Body:

Warplock engineer- general

6x stormfeinds

Rear guard:

Rattling cannon

Any thoughts would be appreciated- thanks.

List 2 looks spot-on. I play a similar list for meeting engagements.

One thing to note, even though it’s 1k points, you only require 1 battleline. Just in case you wanted to open up some other options.

18 minutes ago, deumosd said:

i thought you had to have 2 battle lines- only need one opens up options.

For standard 1k played as matched play, yes you do need 2 Battleline. Meeting Engagements is a whole other ruleset and format that has it's own restrictions and this isn't one of them fortunately.

• Thanks 1

Since when? Meeting engagements rules are in addition to normal Matched Play rules. You still need 2 Battlelines. That. table only states you have to put at least 1 battleline in the main body and not that you only need one for your army.

23 hours ago, deumosd said:

Hi All,

I have entered the meeting engagements tournament this Sunday. Now I have not actually played any meeting engagements battles yet (I know bad preparation) (also first proper tournament) but have been tinkering with lists. What do people think of the following please- if you have any ideas.

List 1:

Main Body:

Warpseer- general

40x clan rats

Rear guard:

Warplock engineer

3x stormfeinds

3x stormfeinds

Main Body:

6x stormfeinds

Rear guard:

Rattling cannon

Firstly no, you can’t have my brain, still need it to deceive my friends and foes(😂).

but hey who knows maybe there’s somebody else willing to donate his brain to you, in the name of the horned rat.

anyways, as it is looking like meeting engagement right now, going full out on Skryre seems to be very strong right now.  Going out on full Moulder might also be probably one of the better choices, since both ways grand you great battle lines that can be harshly and devastating against your foe.

think of how much he will fear your unit of 6 stormfiends in the main body, who are equipped with rattling guns and wind launcher which get buffed by your warlord warlock engineer (doesn’t matter which one)

or a unit of 4rat ogor tearing through anything in their way.

god the look in your opponents eyes, when his ghoul king he thought to destroy all gets shot down the first time he reaches the cross fire of our beloved Stormfiends.

now disclaimer I haven’t played any meeting engagement myself, sadly didn’t got the chance to engage in a friendly fun tournament which was using those rules, last weekend.

1 hour ago, michu said:

Since when? Meeting engagements rules are in addition to normal Matched Play rules. You still need 2 Battlelines. That. table only states you have to put at least 1 battleline in the main body and not that you only need one for your army.

You can make your list with https://www.warhammer-community.com/warscroll-builder/ You will see what you NEED, and it's not 2 battlelines. 

On the rules of meeting engagements, picking your army section, it said exactly how to build your army and it do not said in addition to normal pitched battle rules. ( p.72 ghb2019 )
image.png.8f58d85e57e0e7890b8efc917617e8f2.png

The "Picking your army" in the Pitched Battle and Meeting Engagement are totally different, both are well writed in the ghb2019.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cosmicsheep said:

List 2 looks spot-on. I play a similar list for meeting engagements.

One thing to note, even though it’s 1k points, you only require 1 battleline. Just in case you wanted to open up some other options.

20 less rats? That's 120 more points... That's two more Ratling Guns! 🔫🔫🔫🐀

• Haha 1

On 7/17/2019 at 5:28 PM, Num said:

OK I'm going to enroll in a summer league ran by my local shop. One needs lists that can evolve from 1k to 2k.

As I haven't played for a while, may I ask for some feedback on the following evolving list please? I am especially unsure about which trait/artifact to take.

1000pts

Allegiance: Skaventide
Arch-Warlock (160)
- General
- Trait: Verminous Valour
- Artefact: Vigordust Injector
- Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism: More-more-more Warp Power!
Warlock Engineer (100)
- Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism: Warp Lightning Shield
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Spear
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade
15 x Skryre Acolytes (180)
Warp Lightning Cannon (180)
Warp Lightning Vortex (100)
Soulsnare Shackles (40)

1500pts:

+ Balewind Vortex (40)

+ 20 clanrats (120)

+ 1 War Lightning Cannon (180)

+ 1 Grey Seer (140) with Skitterleap

2000pts:

+ 6 stormfiends (520)

(Change the arch warlock trait to deranged inventor?)

The main "trick" is the skitterleap + spells + back with a gnawhole.

The balewind is either for the grey seer, or for the warlock engineer. On top of a balewind, the engineer can cast its spell twice (so 2d6 if overcharged, which isn't very risky). The engineer also has time to come back through a gnawhole in time to buff a WLC in the shooting phase.

What do you think?

Cheers

To encourage advice, allow me to post some pictures of the army as planned :D (1 WLC still left to be painted)

IMG_20190720_182521.jpg.7788b09b8fb10526a688ad3d0bc023fc.jpg

IMG_20190720_182306.jpg.981e17b489e9de7f64b16b9224d6c0d5.jpg

The endless spells (the balewind vortex is magnetized and can be moved from its original base to any of the gnawholes)

IMG_20190720_110430.jpg.3f757d9b742916ecfb588f9237853cf6.jpg

The Skryre recruits

IMG_20190720_182551.jpg.902967ca67b1d60b390412779340ea0f.jpg

The verminus meatshieldsIMG_20190720_182607.jpg.37898d2c604df266bee3da12d3e11945.jpg

Cheers

• Like 3

What Endless Spells do people actually use? I just got my tax return and I'm thinking about picking up Malign Portents. I picked the Skaven ones up like days before the Vortex got nerfed. =p

I also keep seeing people reccomending taking Plague Monks with a pair of Blades if you're not using a Furnace. With All Out Attack available now, letting you reroll 1's., probably not worth it.  I've played a couple games with Stave and Blade and the volume of attacks is really high. I don't plan on taking a Furnace, so I'm thinking about replacing the Staves with Blades. But it's probably a waste of time.

Edited by Obeisance

30 minutes ago, Obeisance said:

What Endless Spells do people actually use? I just got my tax return and I'm thinking about picking up Malign Portents. I picked the Skaven ones up like days before the Vortex got nerfed. =p

I also keep seeing people reccomending taking Plague Monks with a pair of Blades if you're not using a Furnace. With All Out Attack available now, letting you reroll 1's., probably not worth it.  I've played a couple games with Stave and Blade and the volume of attacks is really high. I don't plan on taking a Furnace, so I'm thinking about replacing the Staves with Blades. But it's probably a waste of time.

Well I usually use the doom bell endless spell, since it give me and my around 120++ not plague monks competitive list somewhat of a battleshock immunity both.

and since most People don’t really se a thread in the bell (since it basically almost never gets played) they usually a encouraged not to unbind it.

As for plague monks, stave are fantastic especially when your taking the plague monks in units of 40, granting them the fantastic allegiance ability buff of +1 to the hit and wound rolls.

take the plague monks in any other numbers and blades will be the better option.

Edited by Skreech Verminking

New player to Skaven here, I know for a fact I want to play Skryre. Are there any tips on where to start or a good thing to start building my army around? I like a lot of the units but I am not sure where to start. I was thinking Warpseer as General and then Arch Warlock and Engineer as other heroes. My must includes are stormfiends, jezzails and at least some ratling guns. Would appreciate any help I can get from there.

35 minutes ago, Obeisance said:

Ah, so it's basically the same logic as Clanrats. Max unit = spears. Min unit = blade. More dudes, more attacks.

I haven't even seen anyone use the Endless Bell, yeah. I run a Verminlord/Belly- I kind of have battleshock immunity down.

Yeah, well the Warpseer really makes the decision of taking the bell or not easy.

I too am working with a Verminlord, although it the Warbringer and not a battleshock immune making Warpseer.

and  for 40p the bell can actually be pretty good in a skaven army that wants to take distance from the warpseer/plague monks meta. 

Spoiler
On 7/19/2019 at 10:06 PM, Saodexan said:

You can make your list with https://www.warhammer-community.com/warscroll-builder/ You will see what you NEED, and it's not 2 battlelines. 

On the rules of meeting engagements, picking your army section, it said exactly how to build your army and it do not said in addition to normal pitched battle rules. ( p.72 ghb2019 )
image.png.8f58d85e57e0e7890b8efc917617e8f2.png

The "Picking your army" in the Pitched Battle and Meeting Engagement are totally different, both are well writed in the ghb2019.

But in the "Matched Play Rules" that's written differently. (p. 52 ghb2019)

"The Meeting Engagement rules that feature later in this section build on the precedent set by the Pitched Battle rules, but add a new dimension."

The Battleline requiremts could need an FAQ.

On 7/18/2019 at 8:53 PM, deumosd said:

Hi All,

List 1:

Main Body:

Warpseer- general

40x clan rats

Rear guard:

Warplock engineer

3x stormfeinds

3x stormfeinds

Main Body:

6x stormfeinds

Rear guard:

Rattling cannon

I think both lists are decent, though they bring different things. I've only played one ME so far, but have theorised about dozens :P

A lot of the strategy I think comes down to where you place the units. Here are a few things to think about when planning for the ME tournament:

- All of the battle plans have a VP condition of killing more wound's worth of models than your opponent for 2 VPs.

- Spearhead and Main Body take massive precedence over Rearguard

To expand on that: If you have decent long-ranged shooting (Windlaunchers) it's likely to score you early VPs against more combat-oriented armies.

The arrival time of units makes a huge difference in a 4 turn game. Whatever arrives last gets half the on-field time of the units starting on the field. If you score each grouping (Spearhead/Main/Rearguard) the Spear and Main are equivalent in terms of arrival time. Main never arrives last, but Spearhead usually arrives first. Put as little in the Rear as you can get away with.

List 1 you should invert the rearguard and spearhead. You want the Stormfiends on early for the shooting. If you also made the Bombardier your general for Deranged inventor and slapped MMMWP on him I think that's a great list. Stormfiends and Bombardier in the front to lay down the shooting, 40 bodies in the main to take objectives and a scary general, then 20 more bodies in the rear to contest (some Rearguard deployment positions start in range of objectives making the bodies useful.

List 2 also looks good. I don't have 9 Stormfiends :( . If you do it's a tempting option. I'd worry a little about the number of models you have for contesting objectives against hoard armies. You'd have to kill fast (which may not be a problem with 9 fiends).

I played a Meeting Engagement at the weekend. I went with the following (admittedly not ideal but limited by what I had assembled):

Spearhead: Master Moulder (Rabid Crown), 4 Rat Swarms, 2 Rat Ogors

Main Body: Warlock Bombadier (General, deranged inventor), 3 Stormfiends (rattling, windlauncher, shock), 40 clanrats

Rearguard: Deathmaster

The idea is there's a cheap screen and a bit of punch to run up the field and take objectives in the Spearhead, followed by decent shooting and a block of bodies, and lastly a Deathmaster who can set up right in the action instead of being wasted in the rear. The mission we rolled (Borderline) had the Main arrive first. I used my CP to run the 40 rats onto the central objective where they remained all game. The fiends followed up and just shot everything to pieces, using a spark each turn, MMMWP when they could and deranged inventor if it failed. The spearhead was able to contest the objective nearest to their arrival position. We called the game on turn 3 at 15-0. Admittedly my opponent wasn't experienced, and he was Khorne so the only shooting he had was stuck in the rearguard, but I still think it highlights the point of considering which units will arrive together and where, and how that relates to scoring VPs.

On 7/20/2019 at 5:40 PM, Num said:

To encourage advice, allow me to post some pictures of the army as planned :D (1 WLC still left to be painted)

I have no experience/evidence to back this up, but I have doubts over how useful WLV would be in a 1000pt game.  If you're playing standard Pitched Battles then things will be quite spread out at that level, and vortex works best when you can hit a lot of units with it. Using the same list/models I'd be tempted to go full Skryre at 1k, using the Acolytes and Fiends as your battle line and  WLC to shoot heroes, then add the clanrats + whatever for 1500 and the endless spells and the rest for 2k. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Drib said:
  Reveal hidden contents

But in the "Matched Play Rules" that's written differently. (p. 52 ghb2019)

"The Meeting Engagement rules that feature later in this section build on the precedent set by the Pitched Battle rules, but add a new dimension."

The Battleline requiremts could need an FAQ.

Maybe it need a FAQ. For me it's like battletome rules. It always take priority over ghb/basic rules. When meeting engagement have special rules , you take the rules from the meeting engagement, if they dont talk about it, you take the pitched battle rules. 

The meeting engagement "picking your army" are very well writed and take priority over the "picking your army" in the pitched battle rules. I hope it make sense.

44 minutes ago, MisterJoshua said:

played a Meeting Engagement at the weekend. I went with the following (admittedly

I went to the tournament yesterday and played 3 games- I took list 2. My first ever tournament. Got a major lost first game against beast claws.

major victory in second game against Sylvaneth.

then lost by one point in the last game against Squigs- I had no idea how fast they could move. 

Really enjoyed the tournament and got through the games fast with only a few models to move!

• Like 2

Hi! Got a friend that is going to start with Skaven. I would love to help him with a Good, solid 1k list. But i have no xp with the rats at all. 

He likes the clanrats. So än 1k list built with alot of rats. How would you do it? Please share your experience! 

A solid list that later can be expanded to 2k! 

Appritiate all the help! 😊

Edited by Kimbo

9 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

Hi! Got a friend that is going to start with Skaven. I would love to help him with a Good, solid 1k list. But i have no xp with the rats at all. 

He likes the clanrats. So än 1k list built with alot of rats. How would you do it? Please share your experience! 

A solid list that later can be expanded to 2k! 

Appritiate all the help! 😊

Well can’t tealy say much but If he really loves the verminus build so much I’d just go with 80clanrats and take for the rest  anything that looks cool.

5 hours ago, deumosd said:

I went to the tournament yesterday and played 3 games- I took list 2. My first ever tournament. Got a major lost first game against beast claws.

major victory in second game against Sylvaneth.

then lost by one point in the last game against Squigs- I had no idea how fast they could move. 

Really enjoyed the tournament and got through the games fast with only a few models to move!

Yeah but that 3rd place in the painting competition weren't bad! 

4 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Well can’t tealy say much but If he really loves the verminus build so much I’d just go with 80clanrats and take for the rest  anything that looks cool.

Well, is that viable? The list does not Only need clanrats if there are better things? Hos would you play 1k skaven? 

@Kimbo When it comes to 1k, I play heavy into Skryre with 40-60 Clanrats as "tax" but I don't really think Skaven do well without that tax when it comes to objectives. If you want to go heavy Verminus, your options largely lie with Clanrats and overpriced Stormvermin.

Edited by Gwendar