5kaven5lave

Did you guys see this list for South Coast GT? Skaven in third place, after double DoK.
Someone disagrees with your stance on clanrats @Gwendar :)
I have no idea how this list was played though.

Tom Mawdsley

• Skaventide
  • Verminlord Warpseer (General, Master of Magic),
  • Verminlord Corruptor (Sword of Judgement),
  • Verminlord Deceiver,
  • Lord Skreech Verminking,
  • Grey Seer (Skitterleap),
  • 3 x 20 Clanrats
  • Aethervoid Pendulum, Geminids of Uhl-Gysh, Soulsnare Shackles, Umbral Spellportal, Vermintide, Warp Lightning Vortex, Chronomantic Cogs, Prismatic Palisade

Hey guys, doing a local tournament in two weeks. Nothing serious, it's more of a practice tournament/hangout with friends.

Made a list, would like opinions on how you think it will do:)

LEADERS

Thanquol on Boneripper (400) - General - Lore of Ruin : Warpgale

Warlock Bombardier (100) - Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism : More-more-more Warp Power!

Warlock Engineer (100) - Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism : More-more-more Warp Power!

UNITS

20 x Clanrats (120) - Rusty Blade

6 x Stormfiends (520)

WAR MACHINES

Warp Lightning Cannon (180)

Warp Lightning Cannon (180)

ENDLESS SPELLS

Warp Lightning Vortex (100)

Bell of Doom (40)

Soulsnare Shackles (20)

TOTAL: 2000/2000

1 hour ago, gronnelg said:

Did you guys see this list for South Coast GT? Skaven in third place, after double DoK.

Tom Mawdsley

• Skaventide
  • Verminlord Deceiver,
  • 3 x 20 Clanrats
  • Aethervoid Pendulum, Geminids of Uhl-Gysh, Soulsnare Shackles, Umbral Spellportal, Vermintide, Warp Lightning Vortex, Chronomantic Cogs, Prismatic Palisade

It's nearly the same list he used 2 month ago in another tournament. You spam endless spell to block movement, to block objective, to block charge, and scurry away your Verminlord to kite the ennemy. With the 2 skitterleap + 3 Gnawhole  you can be everywhere and harass the ennemy.  Verminlord have amazing mobility, even without skitterleap, you can move 12'', charge something, then scurry away for another 12''+1d6. You can read the article here https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/03/05/mar-5-skaven-tips-from-tom-mawdsleygw-homepage-post-2/

Edited by Saodexan

1 hour ago, gronnelg said:

@SaodexanNice! Seems like a fun way to play! Wouldn't this list be completely shut down by an army with lost of unbind potential, like Nagash?

Nagash do not have 10 (11 with cogs ) unbind. Even the skull judgement from Khorne do not counter it since you are spread out and can just skitterleap or move away from it so easily. The Vortex is still the key of this list, this is why the DoK list at the GT have Knight Incantor, to auto unbind it. Some alpha strike with low drop can really hurt this build too. Otherwise this list is a blast to play, every game is different. 

Edited by Saodexan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Saodexan said:

It's nearly the same list he used 2 month ago in another tournament. You spam endless spell to block movement, to block objective, to block charge, and scurry away your Verminlord to kite the ennemy. With the 2 skitterleap + 3 Gnawhole  you can be everywhere and harass the ennemy.  Verminlord have amazing mobility, even without skitterleap, you can move 12'', charge something, then scurry away for another 12''+1d6. You can read the article here https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/03/05/mar-5-skaven-tips-from-tom-mawdsleygw-homepage-post-2/

Re: Gnawholes, in game 5 he placed all 3 along the back of his own deployment and just used them as Arcane terrain for the Verminlords. That said his dice were poor so he struggled to get WLV and others off reliably which might have made a difference. 

5 hours ago, gronnelg said:

Tom Mawdsley

• Skaventide
  • Verminlord Deceiver,
  • 3 x 20 Clanrats

I wouldn't call this a traditional list that requires that many bodies as it's quite magic heavy with a lot of mobility and tough Verminlords. As Saodexan said, he played to it's strengths pretty well.

I'll say one thing though, I think I need to buy 2 more Verminlords because that looks fun to play.

Edited by Gwendar
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, gronnelg said:

Tom Mawdsley

• Skaventide
  • Verminlord Deceiver,
  • 3 x 20 Clanrats

I can’t really remember anybody saying that clanrats are bad or something similar. They are afterall the perfect meat shield unit.

Also he seems to have been playing only 60 so the min. Of battleline required, it’s not bad but I guess he had other ways of protecting his hero’s.

1 hour ago, Gwendar said:

1)I wouldn't call this a traditional list that requires that many bodies as it's quite magic heavy with a lot of mobility and tough Verminlords. As Saodexan said, he played to it's strengths pretty well.

2)I'll say one thing though, I think I need to buy 2 more Verminlords because that looks fun to play.

Well it’s definitely not the way I would play, I’m more interested in bringing there hordes into battle.

Same her, after having seen how good the warpseer got I might reconsider buying one if not even two more (Still Need myself afterall)

4 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

I can’t really remember anybody saying that clanrats are bad or something similar. They are afterall the perfect meat shield unit.

Also he seems to have been playing only 60 so the min. Of battleline required, it’s not bad but I guess he had other ways of protecting his hero’s.

Well it’s definitely not the way I would play, I’m more interested in bringing there hordes into battle.

Same her, after having seen how good the warpseer got I might reconsider buying one if not even two more (Still Need myself afterall)

He was just referencing how I think 60 minimum is... meh. But that's for more standardized lists which this one was far from I would say.

I like to bring anywhere from 80-120; no more, no less (unless I'm going full Skryre for a fun, shooty Stormfiend build). I want to collect all the Verminlords anyway, and I don't expect the list to be ultra-competitive or anything but I'm really liking it based on how I'm playing it out in my head. Seems it could be quite technical with all the positioning shenanigans it needs to pull it off.

• Like 1

I played my SCE friend again tonight, as a warm-up for the upcoming tournament. He had alfastrike potential. And let me tell you fellas, I deployed like a retarded monkey. I had juicy targets bunch up in the middle, behind a screen, but to close to the screen, so a lot of damage got through. My hammer was far out on the left, and could do nothing to help. From there I used gnawholes and Skitterleap to claw my way to a minor loss. But man, it was a fun and close game. And I learned to be more mindful of my deployment. Good times! 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, gronnelg said:

And I learned to be more mindful of my deployment

Almost any competitive or tournament level player will tell you that deployment is where games can be won or lost, or at the very least it's one of the most tactical parts of the game. If you look at my latest batrep with Tzeentch, I pre-measured the potential ranges of his Wizards T1 so that I was out of range of spells and that he would be out of dispell range for the WLV from my AW.

I did this so I could determine if it was safe to give him T1 (since I beat him on drops) knowing his main source of damage wouldn't be able to do anything except for the single spell that he could get through the Spell Portal, which he failed anyway. Against the BoC player, I knew he had 2-3 units coming in from deepstrike but little shooting or magic meant I could front-load everything a bit more to brace for a charge but made sure to cover my sides\back from being within the 9" he needed to bring something in. This is another reason why I like to bring big Clanrat units as they screen against not only front charges, but deepstrikes from the sides or from behind since you can string them out longer.

Going up against heavy deepstrike lists (BoC, Stormcast, Nighthaunt, etc) can be tricky and these are usually the games that, to me, require the most thought in deployment and typically how you move during turns 1-3 as you also need to account for either you or them getting the double turn. A Deepstrike Shootcast list for example is not something you want to be on the receiving end of if they get a double turn.

No one should ever have an issue with you pre-measuring or asking about effective ranges unless they're being "that guy". I've only ever had 1 player not tell me any information, so I just pulled up Azyr and looked myself much to his disapproval. I have no issues telling people my Jezzails are 30", but their effective ranges are 36" with their movement, or nearly anywhere depending on Gnawhole placement. Same with Acolytes; despite being 8" range, their effective range is 20" thanks to run + shoot.

Edited by Gwendar
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Coyote said:

Speaking of deployment - Any thoughts on where to place Gnawholes?

The standard for me is 1 in my territory for Arcane, and 1 on each side of the board. Depends on the objectives really. I seldom put any right in opponents deployment as most of my local meta has enough cheap bodies in their list to dedicate to keeping it closed off.. against a more elite army though and I would probably do 1 left or side and then 1 in their backline minimum.

I'm curious if Clawlord on Brood Horror with Verminous Valor will be more common on some lists since now the point change is more visible.  60 points more for more wounds, regen, extra attacks, and bigger Aura seem pretty great over losing Look Out Sir.

5 hours ago, kenshin620 said:

I'm curious if Clawlord on Brood Horror with Verminous Valor will be more common on some lists since now the point change is more visible.  60 points more for more wounds, regen, extra attacks, and bigger Aura seem pretty great over losing Look Out Sir.

I think he will be a great choice for 160p

give him the special shield artefact, which makes him -1 to hit and the verminous valour command trait, and he will be unable to die.

and Throw him against a hero you want dead.

he will be -2 to to hit with the look out sir which he seems to be still getting thanks to not having the monster keyword, and his damage output can be fantastic.

Edited by Skreech Verminking

So after having seen how cheap the warlord on Brood horror got, I started thinking of another list that, not only is playing after the fluff but also could be not even bad at competitive events.

So the list consists of:

heros:

Screaming bell:200p(Warpgale)

Verminlord warpseer:260p (General; Master of magic)

Clawlord on Brood horror:160p(verminus valour, gryph feather charm)

Plague priest on plague furnace:180p

deathmaster:100p

battleline:

3x40clanrats:600P

2x40plague monks:440

endless spell:

warplightning vortex:100p

total:1980p

Now the army consist of 200 Infanterie models, of which 80 of them are even quit good damage dealers.

the furnace will more of a support hero who’ll buff up my plague monks, while trying to keep them save from battleshock.

the Screaming bell and the Warpseer will be trying to shut down the movement of a whole flank of my enemy, denying as many units as possible to move as well as to deal some damage.

the Clawlord on Brood horror will be my combat champion who’ll be followed by the screaming bell and 120 clanrats who’ll be looking after him.

he will be literally unstoppable, since he will be -2to Hit in combat as well as in the shooting phase shutting units like the poster boys snipers down.

units like Witch Aelves or even elite killers like royal zombie dragons, and other big hero’s won’t have a change against this hero, since hitting it will be very hard.

Should I ever be lucky that debuff  can be also significantly buffed, by the screaming bell making my clawlord even harder to hit for such units, shutting more or less all of them down.

And If some lucky hit will ever wound my clawlord, I can still give those wounds away to my clanrats who’llfollow this glorious beast of horror to the enemy.

Edited by Skreech Verminking

toying around with an clan moulder based list for a 2kpts  game i have next weekend, anyone got any comments on if they think this should work or not vs maggotkin

heroes

400 - thanquol as general with death frenzy spell, and 4 x flamethrowers

100 - master moulder with rabid crown

battleline

300 - rat ogres x 6

300 - rat ogres x 6 

300 - rat ogres x 6

behemoth

220 - hellpit abomination

other

260 - stormfiends  doomflayer, rattling cannon, flamers

60 packmaster x 3

60 packmaster x 3  

3 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

So after having seen how cheap the warlord on Brood horror got, I started thinking of another list that, not only is playing after the fluff but also could be not even bad at competitive events.

So the list consists of:

heros:

Screaming bell:200p(Warpgale)

Verminlord warpseer:260p (General; Master of magic)

Clawlord on Brood horror:160p(verminus valour, gryph feather charm)

Plague priest on plague furnace:180p

deathmaster:100p

battleline:

3x40clanrats:600P

2x40plague monks:440

endless spell:

warplightning vortex:100p

total:1980p

Now the army consist of 200 Infanterie models, of which 80 of them are even quit good damage dealers.

the furnace will more of a support hero who’ll buff up my plague monks, while trying to keep them save from battleshock.

the Screaming bell and the Warpseer will be trying to shut down the movement of a whole flank of my enemy, denying as many units as possible to move as well as to deal some damage.

the Clawlord on Brood horror will be my combat champion who’ll be followed by the screaming bell and 120 clanrats who’ll be looking after him.

he will be literally unstoppable, since he will be -2to Hit in combat as well as in the shooting phase shutting units like the poster boys snipers down.

units like Witch Aelves or even elite killers like royal zombie dragons, and other big hero’s won’t have a change against this hero, since hitting it will be very hard.

Should I ever be lucky that debuff  can be also significantly buffed, by the screaming bell making my clawlord even harder to hit for such units, shutting more or less all of them down.

And If some lucky hit will ever wound my clawlord, I can still give those wounds away to my clanrats who’llfollow this glorious beast of horror to the enemy.

Recommend Quicksilver Swords 20 pts - absolutely worth buying Box set - pound for pound most effective 20pts in the game.

4 hours ago, Cullen rothery said:

toying around with an clan moulder based list for a 2kpts  game i have next weekend, anyone got any comments on if they think this should work or not vs maggotkin

heroes

400 - thanquol as general with death frenzy spell, and 4 x flamethrowers

100 - master moulder with rabid crown

battleline

300 - rat ogres x 6

300 - rat ogres x 6 

300 - rat ogres x 6

behemoth

220 - hellpit abomination

other

260 - stormfiends  doomflayer, rattling cannon, flamers

60 packmaster x 3

60 packmaster x 3  

I think you’ll do fine. Just two thoughts. Not necessarily better but something to think about 

1. You might find controlling objectives hard with so little bodies. You might want to bring one squad of giant rats  for that purpose

2. Then you have everything for the moulder battalion. Might be worth it for the better ‘more more beasts and command point. Also makes you a 3 drop army for what it’s worth  

but dropping 6 ratogres for the giant rats still leaves you 60pts short for the battalion. 🤔